• « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2020 Malazan Re-read: Memories of Ice Starts March 1st

#81 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 21 March 2020 - 04:23 PM

Every time Dujek discussing Whiskeyjack's last moments with Korlat and Tayschrenn make me tear up. Then Mallet's approach and realization opens the ducts wide, letting the water flow.

#82 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How you doin?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 21 March 2020 - 08:31 PM

Itkovian rides with Gruntle and Stonny to the Malazans aid.

Two observations.

1. That better not be his warhorse, the one that survived the battle in Capustan, he rode to death. That awesome beast did not deserve to die that way.

2. Just like The Malazans foolhardy Gambit, Itkovians need to embrace the T'lan Imass is a horrific moment. God damnit man they're all that's standing between an army made out of soft flesh and giant undead killing machines! Timing, Itkovian!

#83 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How you doin?

Posted 22 March 2020 - 07:37 AM

Finished the tale. Had a couple of good cries towards the end mixed with heartfelt laughter. Even knowing every event that was to take place it still rocked me with every loss. The culmination is an incredible achievement of dozens of stories coming together in the most satisfying way.

#84 User is online   Cyphon 

• Cagey Bastard of TQB
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 22 March 2020 - 12:01 PM

View PostAptorian, on 22 March 2020 - 07:37 AM, said:

Finished the tale. Had a couple of good cries towards the end mixed with heartfelt laughter. Even knowing every event that was to take place it still rocked me with every loss. The culmination is an incredible achievement of dozens of stories coming together in the most satisfying way.

I must be dead inside, I dont get the same emotional reaction.
Para todos todo, para nosotros nada.

MottI'd always pegged you as more of an Ublala

#85 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How you doin?

Posted 22 March 2020 - 12:17 PM

Every scene related to Itkovian and Whiskeyjack the last 50 pages had me acting like a blubbering mess.

#86 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 22 March 2020 - 08:59 PM

I'm with Cyph, I mean tough in places yah, and a few wet eye bits but no blubbering.
DG had far more gut punches on the CoD

#87 User is offline   Keysi 

• Captain
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 24 March 2020 - 08:01 PM

I get that everyone loves Whiskyjack and that we're all conditioned to want the "goodies" to win by disney and Hollywood but seriously, Kallor is just a far more interesting fu&*$ng character.

#88 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile
  • Group: Malazan Artist

Posted 30 March 2020 - 06:27 PM

I read Gotm and DG in a matter of days, thought I was way ahead. Stalled somewhat on MoI.

About 70% now, siege is over and that meeting between Gruntle and Paran is great. QB in the estate always, always makes me smile. Cocky, smug ol' Hammer Horror bad guy Bauchelain getting blown through a wall into the garden. It's so good! Reminds me of Palpatine being all smug and then Yoda blasts him ass over tit into a wall with his legs in the air and his cloak over his head in RotS.

The extent to which Gruntle is taken and used is more apparent this time. His want of retribution for what happened to Stonny is basically used as a way to possess him by fuelling his anger and increasing his strength and abilities; it's only in the calm moments after that he realises what has happened. He is quite brutally used as a tool though, against his will and without permission.
So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

Share this topic:

• 5 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users