Malazan Empire: COVID-19 (aka Coronavirus, aka 2019-nCoV) - Malazan Empire

• 174 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

COVID-19 (aka Coronavirus, aka 2019-nCoV)

#1081 User is offline   LinearPhilosopher 

• House Knight
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Everything.

Posted 16 April 2020 - 08:17 PM

View PostBriar King, on 16 April 2020 - 04:19 PM, said:

Ugh I knew it would happen a 2nd time my cavity filling got pushed back a month right at the start(the next day ugh) of shutdown and rescheduled to 22nd...got woken up to a vibrating phone and it was them telling me they going into May and don’t know when they can say at this point. I atleast talked them into send me out some antibiotics cause this shit hurts.

are there no dental practices accepting emergency appointments?

#1082 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail

Posted 16 April 2020 - 08:17 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 16 April 2020 - 02:13 PM, said:

View PostWhisperzzzzzzz, on 16 April 2020 - 12:55 PM, said:

View PostQuickTidal, on 16 April 2020 - 11:47 AM, said:

People in certain US States are now out in force protesting social distancing/quarantine measures...fucking hell, apparently nearly 30k infected yesterday means NOTHING to these fucking idiots.

You wanna know how it's going to get worse? Just like the 1918 Spanish Flu....just when people got sick of staying inside and went out to try to return to normalcy when they thought the flu had abated enough...that shit caused the second wave of it...which was deadlier then the first and AFAIK killed the majority of people who are in the final casualty totals for that flu pandemic.

These people literally cannot learn from history. Scared about the economy? Sure, we all are...but sacrificing hundreds of thousands of people is NOT the way.

Just like those spring breakers these people are about to be a bunch of new vectors for infection. Prepare for your numbers to spike harder and the quarantine measures to last EVEN longer.

Saw a video interview with some....guess what red hat they were wearing?

Agreed. But, making protesting illegal is a surefire way to get more Americans protesting. They should've left it to sputter out.

https://www.wral.com...ivity/19057352/

No. Fuck their selfish sense of personal freedman during a goddamned pandemic. Can't follow the rules so that everyone can stay safe and...you know...ALIVE?...fucking you get charged. Sorry, not sorry.

Protesting right now is not essential. It's 100% self-serving assholery.

I agree. My point is that the police shouldn't have communicated in the way they did. That's guaranteed to escalate, instead of de-escalate.

#1083 User is online   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 16 April 2020 - 11:52 PM

Posted Image

#1084 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 17 April 2020 - 12:10 AM

Posted Image
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#1085 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 17 April 2020 - 01:19 AM

First official case in my tiny little town.

And of course most of the hilljacks around here are just complaining about still having to put up with social distancing.
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#1086 User is online   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 17 April 2020 - 03:22 AM

View PostGorefest, on 17 April 2020 - 12:10 AM, said:

Posted Image

'the pro-Trump and largely mask-less protesters, some of whom flew Confederate flags and open-carried AR-15 and AK-47 variants'

Posted Image

https://www.vanityfa...NunJkUFmlr1KuuY

'Exclusive: As Washington DC faces coronavirus spike, a secret military task force prepares to secure the capital

[...] Federal officials in the nation's capital expect a New York-like epidemic in the District, Maryland and Virginia, one that could potentially cripple the government.

"No one wants to talk evacuation, especially when there's nowhere to go," says a senior military officer working on continuity of government planning; he requested anonymity because he is not authorized to speak on the record.

But a little-known military task force charged with evacuating Washington has already been activated, a task force charged with the most sensitive government mission of "securing" Washington in the face of attackers, foreign and domestic—and if necessary, moving White House and other key government offices to alternate locations.

[...] All anyone would say was that two Blackhawk helicopter companies of the 106th Aviation Battalion were headed to Fort Belvoir, in the northern Virginia suburbs of Washington, DC. There, "something big" was a special assignment in support of Joint Task Force–National Capital Region.

Unlike other Guardsmen activated under "Title 32" orders—under gubernatorial control but paid for by the federal government—the soldiers of the 106th were activated under "Title 10" orders, strict federal duty as if they were going to be shipped off to Afghanistan or Iraq. Except that in this case, the battlefield is Washington, DC.

On that battlefield, the Illinois 106th Aviation Battalion's helicopters would be used to evacuate everyone from Army leaders to the White House.

"We are that quick reaction force that allows us to help mobilize forces within the Washington DC area, evacuate people, or whatever that might be," says Cpt. Adam Kowalski of the Illinois Guard. "We're kind of like that big taxicab that makes sure everybody gets where they need to be and keeps the government going."

[...] once the Joint Task Force is activated, as it has been now, operations and units shift to what the military calls "operational command." Maj. Gen. Jones is now in charge. He isn't some martial law commander who takes precedence over any civil authorities, nor is he out in public telling anyone outside his secretive task force what to do. But he is the military man who would be in charge in Washington if civil government broke down.

[...] Maj. Gen. Jones gave an interview to "Fort Meade Declassified" on March 17[...]When asked what he was doing in his leisure time, he said that he had just finished reading a book about the riots in Washington, DC in 1968 following the assassination of Martin Luther King, Jr. The name of that book? "A Nation on Fire."'

https://www.newsweek...T3dZRz3VZU0M8KA

Posted Image

#1087 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 17 April 2020 - 03:51 AM

I've played the Division 2. It does not go well for Washington DC.

#1088 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 17 April 2020 - 03:46 PM

Apparently Sweden's relaxed approach has led to a higher death rate. What are you Scandi-dudes hearing?

https://www.news.com...3f6b4a6ba4f666d
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#1089 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 17 April 2020 - 03:55 PM

Sweden's death count is "only" about twice as high as Denmark's if you compare population size so it's not "that" bad. Sweden opted not to enforce any kinds of closures and merely advised caution, social distancing, etc.

It's interesting from Denmark's perspective because we're eyeing Sweden and asking ourselves if it was worth burning the equivelant of a quarter of our GDP on stimulus packages, if we'd only had a 100% increase in corona related deaths without the stricter closures, buuut... we've been seeing an accelaration in Sweden now, where they have perhaps a hundred dead per day, while we're sitting around 10-20 per day in Denmark.

#1090 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 17 April 2020 - 04:22 PM

View PostAptorian, on 17 April 2020 - 03:55 PM, said:

It's interesting from Denmark's perspective because we're eyeing Sweden and asking ourselves if it was worth burning the equivelant of a quarter of our GDP on stimulus packages,

We're at that stage now where people will say we overreacted...because if you've successfully flattened the curve..then it will look like you overreacted.

There' a number of places now going "Did we NEED to do this?" ....yes...good results show it worked. bad results mean more deaths.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#1091 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 17 April 2020 - 04:30 PM

I find it interesting that it’s often discussed as maybe some more deaths vs social distancing and economic collapse. However if NY by example had 200k cases and 20 thousand deaths with social distancing what would the deaths have been without it and surely that would be bad for the economy too?

#1092 User is online   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 17 April 2020 - 05:03 PM

'Trump Calls on People to "LIBERATE" Virus-Stricken States With Democratic Governors

[...] Trump on Thursday refused to criticize protesters in some states, including Michigan, who are flouting stay-at-home orders and social-distancing guidelines amid the deadly pandemic. "I think they're listening, I think they listen to me," he said.'

https://www.thedaily...ernors?ref=home

'Donald J. Trump
@realDonaldTrump
·
1h
LIBERATE VIRGINIA, and save your great 2nd Amendment. It is under siege!
Donald J. Trump
@realDonaldTrump
·
1h
LIBERATE MICHIGAN!
Donald J. Trump
@realDonaldTrump
·
1h
LIBERATE MINNESOTA!
Donald J. Trump
@realDonaldTrump
·
3h
Today people started losing their jobs because of Crazy Nancy Pelosi, Cryin' Chuck Schumer, and the Radical Left, Do Nothing Democrats, who should immediately come back to Washington and approve legislation to help families in America. End your ENDLESS VACATION!'

https://twitter.com/...169987110330372

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 17 April 2020 - 05:04 PM

#1093 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 17 April 2020 - 05:13 PM

That guy is actively TRYING to incite civil unrest. How that motherfucker can be a leader of a country and act like that is beyond me.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#1094 User is offline   Chance 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 17 April 2020 - 05:16 PM

Being in sweden I can only say that there are several reasons why the death rate is higher in sweden, it probably is somewhat higher but also a lot of people who have been classified as dead by age in other nations have been classified correctly as dead by Corvid-19 in sweden. Aka expect them to be revised upwards in many other nations. At the same time very many of the actual deaths have been limited to certain groups and areas making a lot of people not really that worried unless someone sneezes. At the same time we are seeing lower death rates in other seasonal stuff due to increased awareness of distancing and hygiene so maybe the net increase to mortality will be less than many expect, hopefully some of that gain will also remain over next couple of flue seasons.

View PostCause, on 17 April 2020 - 04:30 PM, said:

I find it interesting that it’s often discussed as maybe some more deaths vs social distancing and economic collapse. However if NY by example had 200k cases and 20 thousand deaths with social distancing what would the deaths have been without it and surely that would be bad for the economy too?

If you where looking at a cold spreadsheet I doubt the very elderly who are the vast majority of the dead repressent anything but a net cost in most cases. At the same time I personally think most nations have failed the elderly by not doing more to protect them earlier from the disaese, pretty much the only big quibble I have with how the swedish goverment have handle stuff which by the way are racing in approval rates so far after years of atrociously poor polling.

If I where in the USA however I'd be seriously scared, something is going really wrong over there both health and economy seems to suffer worse than anywhere else looking from here at least. :(

This post has been edited by Chance: 17 April 2020 - 05:35 PM

#1095 User is offline   Garak 

• Emperor
  • Interests:40k, Star Wars, Babylon 5, WW2, A Song of Ice and Fire, the Drenai series, the Riftwar and all that followed it, D&D, Vikings, the Malazan Book of the Fallen. I think you get the gist of it.

Posted 17 April 2020 - 06:26 PM

Wow, Trump is ................ I don't have words. The USA already has the highest death toll from what numbers I've seen, by quite a lot. Is Trump trying to get more people killed? Holly shit.
The meaning of life is BOOM!!!

#1096 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 17 April 2020 - 06:32 PM

Trump is a disaster his leadership reflects in the bad USA response. I remember when the sp500 first lost like ten percent he went on twitter and told people now was a good time to buy, I hope he gets investigated (I honestly wouldn’t be surprised if he had futures betting the other way).

Also the entire the us is one country or fifty countries nonsense isn’t helping. Not is the right wing media. Not is the culture of liberty or death combined with ignorance helping.

My god I just saw Fox News interview dr Phil of oprah fame. He wondered why we don’t shit the economy down over cancer or automobile accidents. Is he a real doctor? Do they understand exponential growth curves of a contagious disease vs a flat line of automobile accidents ?

#1097 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 17 April 2020 - 07:08 PM

1trump is a fucking disaster and a disgrace at all times.

American politics is an embarrassment period

#1098 User is offline   Puck 

• Mausetöter

Posted 17 April 2020 - 07:27 PM

View PostChance, on 17 April 2020 - 05:16 PM, said:

[...] which by the way are racing in approval rates so far after years of atrociously poor polling.

That's called the "rallying behind the flag"-effect and is happening everywhere right now. EXCEPT the USA, where Trump's approval ratings have risen only minimally while they've gone up significantly for the majority of governors of both parties within the US (Newsom's approval ratings even doubled).
Puck was not birthed, she was cleaved from a lava flow and shaped by a fierce god's hands. - [worry]
Ninja Puck, Ninja Puck, really doesn't give a fuck..? - [King Lear]

#1099 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 17 April 2020 - 07:33 PM

700k cases in the USA ! When did that happen

#1100 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 17 April 2020 - 07:35 PM

the second trump was inaugurated

Share this topic: