Malazan Empire: COVID-19 (aka Coronavirus, aka 2019-nCoV) - Malazan Empire

• 174 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

COVID-19 (aka Coronavirus, aka 2019-nCoV)

#1101 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 17 April 2020 - 07:42 PM

View PostCause, on 17 April 2020 - 06:32 PM, said:

My god I just saw Fox News interview dr Phil of oprah fame. He wondered why we don’t shit the economy down over cancer or automobile accidents. Is he a real doctor? Do they understand exponential growth curves of a contagious disease vs a flat line of automobile accidents ?

No. He was at one time was a practicing clinical psychologist (though he never had much of a practice that I can find), but once he started peddling really backed out shit and theories, and being generally a hinderance to the industry, the college of Psychology revoked his license, and not just in the state he practiced in (Texas) but ALL the States. You have to have fucked up LARGE for that to happen. But yeah, he is no more a doctor with a viable opinion on the situation than any layperson. When people go on his show they are informed that they are not getting psychology from a doctor, they are getting an opinion from someone who is not accredited.

TL;DR: No, Doctor Phil has not been a doctor in a very long time.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#1102 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 17 April 2020 - 08:52 PM

Dr. Phil gave the world the "catch me outside" girl. For that he should never, ever be given any kind of credibility going forward. And the show he did with and about actress Shelley Duvall is way past shameful.

#1103 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 17 April 2020 - 10:19 PM

We're tracking deaths in nursing homes in NY as part of our jobs. The numbers that are coming out from them are deeply obscured and the lack of testing for staff and residents mean that it's ripping through and unconfirmed. We and the newspapers and other organizations have been getting anonymous stories from low level staff in several places that 50+ people have died (usually 5 die each month in more usual time) in several 200 bed facilities and only a few are being labeled as COVID-19.

There's stories of employees being demanded to come in despite having COVID-19 because the nursing homes were previously staffed at such low levels that they can't operate if more than a couple people stay home to quarantine.

I know I came off as abrasive and very much saying that this was going to be bad, but the nursing homes and prisons in NY are showing why I thought that. Basic supplies are not being given, people cannot isolate, many people are dying, there's poor regulation that is also hampered by lack of in person inspections, and above all, a complete bat shit federal government response combined with right wing skepticism that this is even "real".

This post has been edited by amphibian: 17 April 2020 - 10:20 PM

I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#1104 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 17 April 2020 - 10:48 PM

Fox News host on Twitter:

'Laura Ingraham

How many of those who urged our govt to help liberate the Iraqis, Syrians, Kurds, Afghanis, etc., are as committed now to liberating Virginia, Minnesota, California, etc?

2:43 PM - Apr 17, 2020'

https://twitter.com/...own-policy.html

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 17 April 2020 - 10:48 PM

#1105 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Martyr of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Soccer, Chess, swimming, books, misc
  • Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 18 April 2020 - 03:24 AM

View PostQuickTidal, on 17 April 2020 - 05:13 PM, said:

That guy is actively TRYING to incite civil unrest. How that motherfucker can be a leader of a country and act like that is beyond me.

Let's be real here. He just wants to be the leader of a voting plurality in key states.

He's got an election to win. Lives in states that won't support him don't matter.
The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard
THE CONTESTtm WINNER--чемпіон самоконтролю

View PostJump Around, on 23 October 2011 - 11:04 AM, said:

And I want to state that Ment has out-weaseled me by far in this game.

#1106 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 19 April 2020 - 03:27 AM

Posted Image

'Conspiracy theory website Infowars convinced hundreds of people to gather in close proximity in Austin, Texas, on Saturday at a rally to protest business closures caused by a global pandemic that has killed thousands of Americans.

[...] Alex Jones, the proprietor of Infowars, also attended. Jones and Shroyer are both being sued for defamation for repeatedly and falsely claiming that the shooting at Sandy Hook in 2012 never happened and that the parents of dead children are “crisis actors.” The rally also featured trademark Infowars propaganda, including signs denouncing vaccines.'

https://www.huffpost...JYayzGuUcRYiQ8U

But is that actually Alex Jones?...

#1107 User is offline   Primateus 

• E Pluribus Anus
  • Interests:Stuff, lots of stuff!

Posted 19 April 2020 - 08:24 AM

View PostAzath Vitr (D, on 19 April 2020 - 03:27 AM, said:

Posted Image

'Conspiracy theory website Infowars convinced hundreds of people to gather in close proximity in Austin, Texas, on Saturday at a rally to protest business closures caused by a global pandemic that has killed thousands of Americans.

[...] Alex Jones, the proprietor of Infowars, also attended. Jones and Shroyer are both being sued for defamation for repeatedly and falsely claiming that the shooting at Sandy Hook in 2012 never happened and that the parents of dead children are "crisis actors." The rally also featured trademark Infowars propaganda, including signs denouncing vaccines.'

https://www.huffpost...JYayzGuUcRYiQ8U

But is that actually Alex Jones?...

I did hear that Alex Jones was dead and had been replaced by a paid actor.
Screw you all, and have a nice day!

#1108 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 19 April 2020 - 08:24 AM

Trump has more than once over a vast period of time lies that he inherited faulty tests for covid 19 from the previous administration. Since covid 19 didn’t exist until his administration it’s a bald faced lie. The man is pathological. Surely people can see it

This seems more than a grifter come, more than a reactionary lie it honestly seems to me to speak to something incredibly troubling.

This post has been edited by Cause: 19 April 2020 - 08:26 AM

#1109 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 19 April 2020 - 04:47 PM

So when the new vectors for the virus appear and trample the populations of Michigan, Florida, and Texas...and kill tens of thousands more Americans...what will trump say?
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#1110 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 19 April 2020 - 05:02 PM

Obama's fault somehow

#1111 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 19 April 2020 - 05:25 PM

Dangerous bad habits are on full display now, being a month and on in this shelter in place order. Saw a girl driving on the interstate highway going 70+ mph, full on with her phone held up to her face and her nose firmly in the distraction that is texting. Gives a new meaning to "slip into my DMs" > death messages.

#1112 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 19 April 2020 - 05:41 PM

Yip the lockdown in South Africa is saving thousands of lives, not from covid19 but from all the bad habits of people. The sale of alcohol was banned, cigarettes were banned and driving has been severely curtailed. Normally the Easter weekend aka one would cause about 5000 road fatalities from drunk driving. This year nothing. The hospital trauma wards normally packed with gunshots and knife wounds are empty. It really drives home how much carnage is avoidable

#1113 User is offline   LinearPhilosopher 

• House Knight
  • Interests:Everything.

Posted 19 April 2020 - 06:34 PM

View PostCause, on 19 April 2020 - 05:41 PM, said:

Yip the lockdown in South Africa is saving thousands of lives, not from covid19 but from all the bad habits of people. The sale of alcohol was banned, cigarettes were banned and driving has been severely curtailed. Normally the Easter weekend aka one would cause about 5000 road fatalities from drunk driving. This year nothing. The hospital trauma wards normally packed with gunshots and knife wounds are empty. It really drives home how much carnage is avoidable

interesting how you guys banned alcohol, we did the opposite as we don't want all the alcohlics suddenly showing up in hospital suffering from withdrawal as well as people drinking moonshine.

#1114 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Martyr of High House Mafia
  • Interests:Soccer, Chess, swimming, books, misc
  • Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 19 April 2020 - 07:04 PM

View PostLinearPhilosopher, on 19 April 2020 - 06:34 PM, said:

View PostCause, on 19 April 2020 - 05:41 PM, said:

interesting how you guys banned alcohol, we did the opposite as we don't want all the alcohlics suddenly showing up in hospital suffering from withdrawal as well as people drinking moonshine.

All the European immigrants would go insane being cooped up at home with no alcohol.

This post has been edited by Mentalist: 19 April 2020 - 07:04 PM

The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard
THE CONTESTtm WINNER--чемпіон самоконтролю

View PostJump Around, on 23 October 2011 - 11:04 AM, said:

And I want to state that Ment has out-weaseled me by far in this game.

#1115 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 19 April 2020 - 07:17 PM

If you cut off alcohol sales in Denmark you'd probably see ten times more withdrawal related deaths and hospitalisations than Corona related incidents.

#1116 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 19 April 2020 - 07:19 PM

Bollocks too.

From what I saw in SA they drink as much as any other country I've been too.

People would grumble, proper dependants would suffer or get through it cold turkey. The world would not end.

#1117 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 19 April 2020 - 07:35 PM

If you make a seriously alcoholic person go cold turkey they will suffer serious and life-threatening withdrawal symptoms.

#1118 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 19 April 2020 - 08:29 PM

South Africans drink, and there have been issues with people trying to loot liquour stores and everything and I wouldnt want to be trapped in a house with an alcaholic going cold turkey but the consequences are not as bad as I would have guessed.

#1119 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 19 April 2020 - 09:10 PM

View PostAptorian, on 19 April 2020 - 07:35 PM, said:

If you make a seriously alcoholic person go cold turkey they will suffer serious and life-threatening withdrawal symptoms.

I am aware of this Apt, read my post again.

I'm saying SAs cutting off drink sales is being viewed aghast by many, but they're no different than any other country. Regular people would kick up a massive fuss because they're whiny bitches is why the off licenses are open here, it's nothing to do with consideration for alcoholics trust me.

No one wants to miss out on that sweet sweet liquor tax that's all it is, pure and simple

#1120 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 20 April 2020 - 12:38 AM

Meanwhile, a protest in the UK:

'NHS staff have made a plea to the Government for more personal protective equipment (PPE) in a video projected onto the Palace of Westminster [Houses of Parliament].

The projection, organised by Led by Donkeys, was set up by a two-person team who arrived separately and observed strict social distancing throughout.'

https://www.itv.com/...of-westminster/

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 20 April 2020 - 12:38 AM

Share this topic:

• 174 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

4 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users