Malazan Empire: COVID-19 (aka Coronavirus, aka 2019-nCoV) - Malazan Empire

• 174 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

COVID-19 (aka Coronavirus, aka 2019-nCoV)

#601 User is online   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 21 March 2020 - 01:38 AM

'Could the Coronavirus Topple Jair Bolsonaro?

Brazilians aren't singing songs from their balconies. They're protesting against their president.'

https://slate.com/ne...l-panelaco.html

https://www.youtube....1&v=MDY9PBNN4j8

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 21 March 2020 - 01:39 AM

#602 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 21 March 2020 - 07:25 AM

Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon, COVID-style:

https://www.news.com...641e940a965a184

EDIT: just received a text from Telstra (main Australian Telco, semi-Fed govt organisation) who upped my data allowance from 2GB per month to 26GB. Yes I normally don't use data but I might a bit more now.

Probably a combination of people using mobile data more with staying in and our NBN being so shite, and increasing numbers of people using 5G.

Not that I'm on NBN at home - inner suburban townhouse, built in 2016 and we are on ADSL2 (wtf?) but it might as well be dialup sometimes. I've done a few speedtests here and we top out at about 8.5Mb. Thanks for nothing LibNats.

This post has been edited by Tsundoku: 21 March 2020 - 07:35 AM

"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#603 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 21 March 2020 - 07:49 AM

Double post!

Apparently sports-deprived Yanks are turning in desperation to the AFL which is one of the few sports leagues still going. For now.

https://www.news.com...8763cd0661f6661

In the meantime, here's a reasonable Top 50 all time marks montage:

Unfortunately the current season can't replicate the crowd reactions ... :(
Although sound-wise everything is quite clear and I am so not used to that.
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#604 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 21 March 2020 - 09:24 AM

View PostMacros, on 20 March 2020 - 08:50 PM, said:

Is there a better mass group video call free platform out there? Thinking off organising a social distancing party with my cousin's for a night this or next weekend

Zoom is the best option, but a free account only allows 40min sessions. There is also Google Meet (Hangout) and Midrosoft Team.

We are contacted by thr government to make equipment and volunteers available because they want to drastically ramp up testing efforts. But we are also doing a fair bit of covid19 research ourselves now, processing patient samples and working on new tools to improve virus detection and mapping its spread and mutation rate. All department research is completely being refocussed on Covid19. There is a selfish compound to this as our academics know that the only way that they are allowed to continue coming in is if it is covid-related, but it is pretty neat to have a lot of great minds with expertise of different areas of infectious diseases come together to think of novel ways to approach this pandemic. And we are just one University department; the same must be happening all over the UK.
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#605 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 21 March 2020 - 09:36 AM

Copenhagen's administration has been planning to get all municipal departments on to Microsoft Teams. Nobody was in a particular rush since they only just pushed us over into using Office 365 and SharePoint last year. Well, Corona changed all that. Last week we started doing large video introduction meetings and getting sent links on how to organize conference calls, etc. I'm now discovering the fresh hell of people not understanding video call etiquette that I've been seeing jokes about for decades.

#606 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 21 March 2020 - 09:52 AM

We did a Zoom department meeting with nearly 80 people the other day and it was surprising how well it actually went. Mostly unprompred, people just muted their mics when not in the conversation and it was all very civil.
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#607 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 21 March 2020 - 02:44 PM

View PostAzath Vitr (D, on 17 March 2020 - 02:19 AM, said:

View PostGorefest, on 17 March 2020 - 12:23 AM, said:

Again, Amph, I disagree. The article you quoted isnt even that much in disagreement with the actual strategy that the uk government currently chooses, they just make the title a bit more click-baity. In actual fact, most if the recommendations that this harvard doctor makes are already followed by the government. They just differ in disagreeing on the right timing for the various stages of the lockdown. You cannot close down a whole country indefinitely, people arent going to play ball. You have to prepare people and you have to time it correctly. Even moreso if what you claim would be true (i.e. no long-lasting immunity, which still has not been shown conclusively), because then a lockdown would be required until some sort of vaccine was developed (which wouldnt be effective anyway, because no long lasting immunity) which will be at least another year. It just isnt feasible. As a long term strategy, building up resilience in the population is a valid way forward. Whether it is the right way, time will tell, but it doesnt make anyone choosing that route ignorant or criminally insane or whatecer terms you want to use.

Again, the main problem is that there aren't enough ventilators or ICU beds currently. Slowing the rate of infection now will provide time to produce more ventilators.

Even the flu vaccine is generally only effective for about 6 months (even for the same strain; it isn't just that the flu keeps evolving). There are also non-vaccine medications that seem promising.

Given what we know about other coronaviruses, short-term immunity is likely, but long-term immunity is unlikely. However, a vaccine wouldn't have to last a year to be effective.

It's highly unlikely that young people getting it now would prevent them from getting it next winter, which is more than 9 months from now (much less through April or May 2021).

What the UK government had been proposing really was significantly different, with (as I posted before) 'more than 200 scientists and medical professionals pushing back against the herd immunity strategy in an open letter Saturday. These experts argued that herd immunity does not "seem a viable option" because it could overwhelm the UK's National Health Service with very sick patients. Instead, they called for strict social distancing measures of a more serious variety than the government has currently recommended.'

https://www.vox.com/...allance-johnson

There are now more and more articles about how bad the initial proposed policy was and how the switch to suppression and isolation has come late for the UK. Here's one: https://www.buzzfeed...avirus-approach

The UK is going to have a very bad time with this and I'm sorry for that.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#608 User is offline   LinearPhilosopher 

• House Knight
  • Interests:Everything.

Posted 21 March 2020 - 02:59 PM

So at work theres been talk about how were going to be putting more emphasis on digital marketing and emphasize how some of our products can be delivered almost completely remotely. The client just has to setup team viewer on their computer and we can remote in.

We're also going to try and be the voice of calm and reason in this as the current troubles represent a deferral of revenues, not a cessation of revenue for our clients.

some rather sobering statistics... still on going though so its hard to draw conclusions. The fact that 1,059/1060 are mild cases sounds good, but thats directly offset that for each recovery there's one fatality.
https://www.worldome...country/canada/

With all of these aggressive actions you'd think the new cases per day wouldnt be going up as much.

This post has been edited by LinearPhilosopher: 21 March 2020 - 03:05 PM

#609 User is offline   King Lear 

• Une belle quelquesomething sans merci
  • Group: Mott Irregulars

Posted 21 March 2020 - 04:03 PM

View PostMezla PigDog, on 20 March 2020 - 07:37 AM, said:

View PostMacros, on 20 March 2020 - 07:17 AM, said:

I'm surprised Boris hasn't started it over here as an easy way for the Brexiteers to blame foreigners as well.

I would hope that his scientific advisors would refuse to stand next to him at his press conferences if he did shit like that.

Is anyone in California? Where's Worry damnit. I've been telling my staff that work from the US will slow down but they disagree because our Californian clients are still sending lots in. Are people generally staying at home there? Same question for NJ.

My little boy was telling us how much he loves his friends this morning. He doesn't know he won't see them for at least 12 weeks yet :(

I was chatting to worry a couple of days ago, he's okay and working from home, it sounds like stuff is shutting down there.

*Men's Frights Activist*

#610 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 21 March 2020 - 04:12 PM

Anyone know why Worry is taking a sabbatical from the forum? Was it something I said?

#611 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 21 March 2020 - 05:27 PM

Italy lost 793 people to the virus the last 24 hours. The number is escalating day by day. Makes me look at our own statistics and hope Denmark closed things down fast enough.

#612 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

• Malazan Yo Yo Champion 2009
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 21 March 2020 - 05:35 PM

View Postamphibian, on 21 March 2020 - 02:44 PM, said:

There are now more and more articles about how bad the initial proposed policy was and how the switch to suppression and isolation has come late for the UK. Here's one: https://www.buzzfeed...avirus-approach

There is no point making posts like this. This is such a long haul thing that only with hindsight will we know what was right or wrong. Even then, maybe not. I have a lot of opinions about the US is going to cope but I'm not going to imply here that you guys are fucked. It's just getting off on scaring people. Save that kind of talk for the people that aren't socially distancing.

I went to give blood today. First time in years but I'm O neg and healthy so thought I should do my bit. And a guilt free reason to leave the house. I went shopping for the first time since Monday. I mainly needed fresh food. Plenty of fruit and veg available, got everything on my list apart from eggs.
Burn rubber =/= warp speed

#613 User is online   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 21 March 2020 - 07:53 PM

View PostBeaver Killia, on 21 March 2020 - 07:45 PM, said:

Is dabbing trip anti biotic in ur nostrils really working or just something being told to old people?

Trip antibiotic as in 'Triple Antibiotic'? 'Triple Antibiotic are antibiotics that kill bacteria on your skin.'

https://www.drugs.co...ic-topical.html

'THE QUESTION

Can rubbing Neosporin or another antibiotic cream inside your nostrils prevent you from getting coronavirus?

OUR SOURCES

Marc Lipsitch: The director of the Center for Communicable Disease Dynamics at Harvard University's T. H. Chan School of Public Health.

No. Health experts universally agree antibiotic cream is not effective at preventing coronavirus.

WHAT WE FOUND

Antibiotics are effective at killing bacteria, not viruses.

"It's not a good idea," Harvard Epidemiologist Marc Lipsitch said. "Neosporin is an antibacterial agent. This is a virus. It doesn't have any effect on viruses."

To prevent a virus from spreading, one of the top things is to keep your hands away from your face.'

https://www.wusa9.co...ce-59a63683697f

'Neosporin Triple Antibiotic Ointment' I'd imagine they all have similar ingredients.

I don't think using soapy water in your nostrils (and washing your mouth out with soap, having your mouth and skin constantly covering in soap bubbles, or a moist soapy towel) would help much or be practical, especially for elderly people who might injure themselves.

#614 User is online   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 21 March 2020 - 08:33 PM

'Sir Anthony Hopkins has been playing the piano for his cat as he self-isolates amid the coronavirus pandemic

[...] In the video, the 82-year-old actor serenades his furry companion with a slow piano improvisation, as the relaxed feline sits on his lap and enjoys the performance.

Instead of a round of applause paws, the four-legged listener shows its appreciation through some lovely, heavy purring.

[...] Sir Anthony shared the post two days ago, with the caption: "Niblo is making sure I stay healthy and demands I entertain him in exchange… cats."'

https://www.classicf..._Z753SKqb0II-cw

Posted Image

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 21 March 2020 - 08:34 PM

#615 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 21 March 2020 - 08:57 PM

The death toll in the UK is starting to hit a a much steeper curve now.

It think given how Italy's numbers are going out response has been woefully inadequate and slow.

Im not trying to sow panic or unrest Liz, I just think with the information we have in front of us right now, it looks like it's going to be grim.

Stupidity and selfishness of people is not helping either

#616 User is online   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 21 March 2020 - 09:08 PM

'This 39-year-old New Orleans woman tested for coronavirus. She died before getting her results.

She tested for coronavirus, and her results were delayed. Five days later, she was dead in her kitchen.

Natasha Ott, 39, felt the beginnings of a cold coming on.

She had a slight fever. Crescent Care, her employer, had only a handful of tests for the new strain of coronavirus on hand; she initially passed on the chance to take one, after being told she was low-risk for the serious disease.

When her symptoms didn't shake, she did take the test on Monday. By Thursday, she felt "something in her lungs," she told longtime partner Josh Anderson. But she still felt well enough by then to join Anderson as the pair walked her dog.

On Friday, Anderson found Ott dead in her kitchen.

[...] he said the dearth of tests shows how ill-equipped New Orleans is to handle a pandemic that has already claimed 16 lives and infected nearly 600 people across the state.'

https://www.nola.com...2e94bc7f56.html

Posted Image

Healthcare worker, apparently. 'Medical Clinic [...] Address: 1631 Elysian Fields Ave, New Orleans, LA 70117
Hours:
Closed'

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 21 March 2020 - 09:08 PM

#617 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 21 March 2020 - 09:32 PM

That's a peculiar case because right now the advice is to stay isolated and if you feel sick try and deal with it unless the symptoms are severe. In the above case, following those instructions, it doesn't sound like there was any need for intensive care before it was suddenly too late. Wonder what actually killed her though? Heart giving out?

#618 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 21 March 2020 - 10:10 PM

View PostMezla PigDog, on 21 March 2020 - 05:35 PM, said:

View Postamphibian, on 21 March 2020 - 02:44 PM, said:

There is no point making posts like this. This is such a long haul thing that only with hindsight will we know what was right or wrong. Even then, maybe not. I have a lot of opinions about the US is going to cope but I'm not going to imply here that you guys are fucked. It's just getting off on scaring people. Save that kind of talk for the people that aren't socially distancing.

I went to give blood today. First time in years but I'm O neg and healthy so thought I should do my bit. And a guilt free reason to leave the house. I went shopping for the first time since Monday. I mainly needed fresh food. Plenty of fruit and veg available, got everything on my list apart from eggs.

There is absolutely a point in this - that the people who said to not immediately start suppressing and social distancing were wrong and that immediate action needs to be taken. Make your listening choices accordingly.

In NY where I live (upstate), there are NYTimes and government lists with 10,500 confirmed cases and 56 deaths - and the lists are likely lower than actuality. I would estimate that the number of people who have it and have not been confirmed to be at least 10k more.

The NY governor has said all non-essential employees are barred from going to work. Shopping for food etc should be done only as needed. The unemployment effects are looking catastrophic and people I know are being majorly affected by this.

This is a deadly serious matter and hoping this goes away quickly and not preparing for isolation is going to turn out badly. Italy has been extremely upfront about how awful things have gotten for the people there. The current situation in NY seems like it could get that bad. We're nearly 10x ahead of the next highest number of confirmed cases in other states in confirmed cases.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#619 User is online   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 21 March 2020 - 10:27 PM

This should be adopted more widely:

'Hotels and offices will be converted into emergency safe spaces under a national action plan drawn up by Tony Blair's former homelessness expert, to protect rough sleepers from coronavirus.

[...] deepening disquiet that the government was "sleepwalking" on homeless people's vulnerability to Covid-19 led to her being drafted in to spearhead its response.

The strategy to safeguard the homeless will be announced on Monday and follows the lead of California in allowing vacant hotels to be requisitioned into homes for rough sleepers and those vulnerable to the virus.

In practical terms, protecting the UK's population of homeless people and rough sleepers by offering safe space to self-isolate means that up to 45,000 "self-contained accommodation spaces" need to be urgently found.

Empty hotels have been pinpointed as a ready-made solution because they have separate cleaning facilities and rooms, and can be leased by the government using funding allocated to tackle the coronavirus pandemic.

Modelling by University College London found that placing vulnerable groups in hotels was also significantly more cost effective than treating individuals in hospital.'

https://www.theguard...obox=1584798671

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 21 March 2020 - 10:28 PM

#620 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 22 March 2020 - 02:13 AM

PM just made a speech. Stimulus package ... survival payments ... social distancing ... and the closest they've come yet top outright banning all non-essential travel. Looks as if they'd prefer to but for the moment they're leaving it up to individuals and organisations. My work will probably have some sort of policy tomorrow about it. Snotface called - she's in Sydney on a short (ha!) course and there's all sorts of rumours flying about that they'll either have to cut short the course and go home or be stuck there for weeks or longer. I guess we'll see. We have her dog while she's down there so at least the boy is happy.

Went up to mum's yesterday and felt conflicted about it. Took her some stuff which I wiped down, did a few jobs around her place. Had a distant hug. Might not get to see her again for a while.

One of the guys at work had to go into quarantine after his sister in law tested positive. We have a few others in quarantine just in case and a couple have flu-like symptoms, test results pending.

Looks like the footy season might be axed after all with what the PM said, no surprises there.

Looks like NSW and VIC are pushing for outright school closures.

More to come I guess.

Good times. :p

This post has been edited by Tsundoku: 22 March 2020 - 02:14 AM

Share this topic:

• 174 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

33 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 33 guests, 0 anonymous users