Malazan Empire: COVID-19 (aka Coronavirus, aka 2019-nCoV) - Malazan Empire

• 174 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

COVID-19 (aka Coronavirus, aka 2019-nCoV)

#641 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 22 March 2020 - 09:20 PM

'Four Spring Breakers Test Positive for Coronavirus
SAW THAT COMING
Health officials are trying to figure out who the infected students from the University of Tampa had contact with.'

... and the rest haven't been tested (kidding, but mostly true)....

https://www.thedaily...avirus?ref=home

#642 User is offline   Lady Bliss 

• Shameless Minister of Silly Catwalks of the Abyssmal Army
  • Group: The Abyssmal Army

Posted 22 March 2020 - 09:38 PM

View PostBeaver Killia, on 22 March 2020 - 08:17 PM, said:

Here is my latest update if anyone is bored.

https://www.kplctv.c...us-reported-la/

I’d be very interested to get yalls.

No interest in Colorado!

Bliss are you still in TX? I’m gonna have to make a phone call tomorrow to see what I gotta do with Drs.

I’m in California, but before the shutdown was supposed to move back to Texas. I was in Dallas Wednesday and everything was shut down.
"If you prick us do we not bleed? If you tickle us do we not laugh? If you poison us do we not die? And if you wrong us shall we not revenge?" - Shylock

#643 User is offline   Lady Bliss 

• Shameless Minister of Silly Catwalks of the Abyssmal Army
  • Group: The Abyssmal Army

Posted 22 March 2020 - 09:39 PM

LOL With the Coronavirus I couldn’t help but think about this.

"If you prick us do we not bleed? If you tickle us do we not laugh? If you poison us do we not die? And if you wrong us shall we not revenge?" - Shylock

#644 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 23 March 2020 - 01:36 AM

Well damn, surprised no one has used this yet, so I guess I'll change that:

Posted Image

#645 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 23 March 2020 - 02:53 AM

'Ohio Orders Halt to “Nonessential” Abortions in Preview of Battle That Could Go National

[...] to stop all "nonessential" surgical abortions, defined as any "that can be delayed without undue risk to the current or future health of a patient." The order applies to all clinics in the state.

Abortion-rights advocates make clear there is no such thing as a "non-essential" abortion and the order by Ohio's attorney general only amounts to the latest in a long-running effort to restrict abortion in the state. In October 2019, a federal judge placed a temporary ban on a law that had been approved by the state's GOP-controlled legislature that prohibited abortions as soon as a fetal heartbeat was detected.'

https://slate.com/ne...us-preview.html

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 23 March 2020 - 02:54 AM

#646 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 23 March 2020 - 03:18 AM

View PostBeaver Killia, on 22 March 2020 - 08:37 PM, said:

I'm recoiling at the thought of having to get tested. Vids of the drive thru testing are starting to really hit today. Having that fucker shoved up my nose...ugh please don't let me have to have the need to exp that sensation!

Gives me the shivers watching those people getting it done.

'People showing symptoms of the deadly coronavirus could have their stool tested as an alternative screening tool to deep throat saliva, Chinese University of Hong Kong experts say, after their study confirmed Covid-19 can be transmitted through faeces.

The university's faculty of medicine recently tested 339 stool, sputum, nasopharyngeal swab, deep throat saliva, blood and urine samples from 14 Covid-19 patients in Hong Kong.
It found that, for three patients, some specimens from their respiratory system – sputum, nasopharyngeal swab and deep throat saliva – tested negative for the coronavirus.
But the coronavirus was detected in faecal samples from all 14 patients, regardless of how ill they were.'

https://www.scmp.com...y53WPJFnXwKDqFs

Don't know how fresh it has to be. But if it has to be fresh and you can't poop on demand, they could probably stick a probe....

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 23 March 2020 - 03:18 AM

#647 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 23 March 2020 - 03:20 AM

'While Senator Rand Paul was infected with coronavirus and waiting for the results of the test he worked out in the Senate gym and used the pool. He has been contaminating the Senate chambers, his staff, and every building for god knows how long. Now the US Senate will have to take unprecedented measures just for them to be able to safely VOTE on the help we need.'

https://www.tmz.com/...srktaBBbgwDoI_M

#648 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 23 March 2020 - 03:47 AM

Damn, the hangout lounge at my favorite rec. marijuana spot is off limits. Their policy is pick up orders only until further notice. They have some new shatter that I really wanted to melt and get a tasty pull off of before making a decision about purchasing. Guess I'll stick with my reliable for now. Fuck you for preventing me from exploring my cloud walking options coronavirus. Can you please go away already!

#649 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 23 March 2020 - 03:58 AM

McDonald's shutting down in the UK. Might not be too much of an issue for some but I get free coffee from them at work and this is going to ruin me!
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#650 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 23 March 2020 - 04:17 AM

View PostAzath Vitr (D, on 23 March 2020 - 03:20 AM, said:

'While Senator Rand Paul was infected with coronavirus and waiting for the results of the test he worked out in the Senate gym and used the pool. He has been contaminating the Senate chambers, his staff, and every building for god knows how long. Now the US Senate will have to take unprecedented measures just for them to be able to safely VOTE on the help we need'

Such divided feelings.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#651 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 23 March 2020 - 05:26 AM

Posted Image

#652 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 23 March 2020 - 06:15 AM

'Paul, 57, Republican of Kentucky and a former practicing eye doctor, was "asymptomatic," his staff said, relieving immediate concerns about his health despite a 2017 injury that affected his lungs. But his diagnosis raised the likelihood that other members of the 100-person Senate, where nearly half are 65 or older, had been exposed'

https://www.nytimes....-rand-paul.html

Seems fitting the Libertarian is the one who infected the rest of them. There's still time for symtpoms to develop. How did he get that lung injury again?

'Like most everyone else in the Rivergreen development, Goodwin told me, Boucher pays in the ballpark of $150 a month for professional landscaping, while Paul insists on maintaining his yard himself. Goodwin said that part of what nagged at Boucher was the difference in grass length between his lawn and that of his libertarian neighbor's. "He had his yard sitting at a beautiful two-and-a-half, three inches thick, where Rand cuts it to the nub," Goodwin said.

Also at issue, according to Goodwin, is Paul's tendency to mow outward at the edge of his property, spraying his clippings into Boucher's yard. Boucher, he said, has asked Paul to instead mow inward when near the boundary line, and even sought help from the Rivergreen Homeowners Association but has gotten no relief.

Goodwin recalled picking up Boucher, a devout Catholic, at his home after church one Sunday afternoon several years ago. Boucher had confronted Paul about his yard-maintenance practices a few minutes before Goodwin's arrival, to no avail, and Goodwin saw Boucher grow agitated as they both watched Paul blow grass onto his lawn. "I've asked him and I've asked him and I've asked him," Goodwin recalls Boucher fuming. "How long can you sit there taking someone plucking a hair out of your nose?" Goodwin asked. "How long could you take that before losing your temper?"'

https://www.gq.com/s...ghborhood-fight

'Rand Paul testifies he thought he might die during neighbor's attack

[...] The blindside tackle, executed as he was standing up after hopping off his lawn mower to pick up a stick, sent Paul and the neighbor tumbling through the air roughly five to 10 feet down a slope[...]

The force of the landing with his neighbor on top of him broke six of Paul's ribs and punctured one of his lungs.

The injuries left Paul breathless. Another blow to his back, and he might die, Paul thought.

"At this point, I thought, 'I can't breathe. … If I do nothing, this may be the last breath I ever take, because whoever is doing this isn't stopping.' And I really thought if I got another blow to my back, I wasn't going to survive. And so really I did think I could die at that point. The thought crossed my mind that I may never get up from this lawn again," Paul said.

https://www.rollcall...ighbors-attack/

OTOH he's made me feel sorry for Mitt Romney:

'Both of Utah's Republican senators, Mitt Romney and Mike Lee, said Sunday afternoon that they would voluntarily quarantine themselves after close contact with Mr. Paul in recent days. They will now be unable to directly affect what could prove to be one of the most consequential votes of their careers.

[...] Romney also said he felt fine but [...] will be unable to see his wife, Ann, for two weeks because she has multiple sclerosis.'

https://www.nytimes....-rand-paul.html

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 23 March 2020 - 06:17 AM

#653 User is offline   Silencer 

• Manipulating Special Data
  • Interests:Malazan Book of the Fallen series.
    Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 23 March 2020 - 10:01 AM

View PostQuickTidal, on 22 March 2020 - 03:03 PM, said:

View PostSilencer, on 22 March 2020 - 12:15 PM, said:

Well, on the bright side of all this, I've been assured that my job will remain in place and operational throughout all of this.
No COVID shutdown for me.

Sure, we might stop doing home loans at some point, but apparently credit cards are far, far too important to our society to even consider shutting down our team.

So fear not, people. The spicecredit will flow.

*sigh*

There’s no chance to work from home or online for this?

I am in fact set up for WFH. Unfortunately our system does not have the capacity to have everyone do so, so we are on 50/50 rosters for now. Of course, the country has only just started closing non essential businesses, because we're slow.

However the thing I was actually facepalming about is that, apparently, even if essential services start closing, we won't. Work from home, sure. But stop lending? Unthinkable. Even as the rest of the country has no income to support themselves, we will (somehow) keep issuing credit. What a world we have become.

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

#654 User is online   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 23 March 2020 - 10:11 AM

This is what happens to commentators in a world with no sport. Sheer sad desperation. SEE WHAT YOU HAVE WROUGHT AND DESPAIR!

https://www.news.com...3d510dc8bfa7a33

@Silencer
Yup, you can't stop the credit. Those multinationals gotta make scratch somehow.

This post has been edited by Tsundoku: 23 March 2020 - 10:12 AM

"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#655 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 23 March 2020 - 10:28 AM

I really do think we should just let the diseases rip through sometimes, humanity doesn't really deserve to survive.

Schools closed for a few days, vandalism in all county park and rec areas up four fold.

People having a big old get together on Dublin beach

Parents still letting their kids have big schools over sleep overs and parties.

Fuck people. Seriously

#656 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight

Posted 23 March 2020 - 10:39 AM

We're on rotas here too - trying to have as many WFH as possible but we can't do it completely, so they're staggering start times for those in and rotating cover. Best we can do really.
- Wyrd bið ful aræd -

#657 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 23 March 2020 - 12:01 PM

View PostMacros, on 23 March 2020 - 10:28 AM, said:

I really do think we should just let the diseases rip through sometimes, humanity doesn't really deserve to survive.

Schools closed for a few days, vandalism in all county park and rec areas up four fold.

People having a big old get together on Dublin beach

Parents still letting their kids have big schools over sleep overs and parties.

Fuck people. Seriously

Our province sounds like it's ramping up to shutting down everything and starting to fine people for being out in groups or for reasons not related to groceries, or pharmacy. Bigger non-essential stores are beginning to close now too. So many people here aren't listening and I think Doug Ford got really pissed off seeing EB Games open and so many idiots out...they are going to have to enforce more hardcore rules here if people are going to listen. Because as it stands, FAR too many people are not.

Hell, I still have people on my facebook saying "Calm down, it's just a flu, who cares" and getting angry about the quarantines. Sufficed to say those people may not last on my "friend" list if they keep this selfish shit up.

And of course my dad (in his 70's, and swore he would social distance when I told him to multiple times in the last week) went out for a lunch with tennis friends yesterday...because my advice is a fucking joke to him. And he's usually the pragmatic one in my family.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#658 User is offline   LinearPhilosopher 

• House Knight
  • Interests:Everything.

Posted 23 March 2020 - 12:48 PM

View PostMalankazooie, on 23 March 2020 - 05:26 AM, said:

Posted Image

IF athletes can't train, whats the point of even holding olympics. They should be deferred.

#659 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 23 March 2020 - 01:06 PM

Well, Untied Airlines just tried to THREATEN the US govt to get bailouts using their workers jobs as hostages.

How in the sweet jumped up jiggety fuck do they have the balls to do this? Becuase the US govt was bought by big corporations long ago.

But yeah, Good on Katie for calling them out like this.

The airlines should NOT GET A BAILOUT...fuckers have been enriching themselves for years.

Attached File  airlinesshit.png (205.25K)
Number of downloads: 0
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#660 User is offline   Silencer 

• Manipulating Special Data
  • Interests:Malazan Book of the Fallen series.
    Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 23 March 2020 - 01:33 PM

Yeah. Bail people, not corporations.

Honestly this is a long term side effect of making business all about short term gains. The economy has been "booming" (sure, if you go by GDP and profit margins) but none of these companies have any reserve capital built up. Why? Because they book all their left overs as profits for distribution to shareholders - or, as many of these airlines and other major companies have done, used them on share buybacks. No rainy day funds outside of what is required by regulations for like annual leave (if that).

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

Share this topic:

• 174 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

4 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users