Malazan Empire: COVID-19 (aka Coronavirus, aka 2019-nCoV) - Malazan Empire

• 174 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

COVID-19 (aka Coronavirus, aka 2019-nCoV)

#561 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 19 March 2020 - 10:22 PM

I assume there has been a typo or miscommunication on that on BK.

Imagine the virus had started in the states and other world leaders started calling it the American virus. And Americans around the world started getting shit from randoms

#562 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

• Malazan Yo Yo Champion 2009
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 19 March 2020 - 10:37 PM

Until the pandemic I haven't watched tv or online news in years apart from UK election coverage. Since starting to watch tv news again I have discovered I can't look at footage of Donald Trump. He physically repulses me so badly I have to look away from the screen.

I had a right old stress out last night. Ignored the news a lot today, feel a lot better. The world is still crazy but it's not being crazy in my face today.
Burn rubber =/= warp speed

#563 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 19 March 2020 - 11:00 PM

View Postamphibian, on 19 March 2020 - 09:57 PM, said:

View PostBeaver Killia, on 19 March 2020 - 09:43 PM, said:

Stupid PC bullshit. They can go to hell on this one. Imo.

Not calling this the Chinese virus in order to avoid acts of violence towards Asian American people is PC bullshit?

You leaving your whole ass out in the wind here...

Problem is when a reporter asked him why he called it the chinese virus and he responded it comes from china, its sounds reasonable. Not to say he doesnt have an agenda but its sad we live in a world where we actually have to worry about someone who might thinking attacking an asian man in texas might somehow meaningful protest this virus. Waht can you do to combat such stupid?

#564 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 19 March 2020 - 11:53 PM

Trump is the only one who calls it the Chinese virus. He emphasized it at the start of this morning's update, it was the fist thing he said. Doctors and scientists call it COVID-19. Lets take off the kid gloves and quit placating fragile egos here.

#565 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 20 March 2020 - 12:32 AM

View PostMalankazooie, on 19 March 2020 - 11:53 PM, said:

Trump is the only one who calls it the Chinese virus. He emphasized it at the start of this morning's update, it was the fist thing he said. Doctors and scientists call it COVID-19. Lets take off the kid gloves and quit placating fragile egos here.

It's election year and his racist fans need a reminder that he's a racist bellend.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#566 User is offline   LinearPhilosopher 

• House Knight
  • Interests:Everything.

Posted 20 March 2020 - 02:22 AM

View PostMacros, on 19 March 2020 - 11:11 AM, said:

The impacts of this will be felt for years, no doubts.

We're going to see the biggest change (discounting the WWs) in the workplace and employment spheres since the industrial revolution. Office cube environments will plummet as it will be made obvious how viable remote working is for many jobs. As a correlation to this transport will change massively, the daily commute runs will diminish, people will fight the need to drive for an hour to get to a computer.
Middle management across the board will be gutted, many positions simply exist to schedule pointless fucking meetings. There will be redundancies on a massive scale world wide as automation gets another massive kick forwards.
In a bizarre way it will likely mean an increase in workload for a few years for me and mine as people push to install remote conferencing and work systems, increase automation and controls etc.

The one and only hope I cling to is that it will kill.of the vapid celebrity culture, but that's a very slim hope. Celebrity gossip has all but died at the minute, the only silver lining, maybe people will finally realise that nurses are far more valuable to society than the Kardashians, or $30m dollars a year to throw a fucking ball (looking at you Brady)

Outside of that I can see a (temporary) revival in home cooking and kitchen gardens. I was pushing last year for us to start allotment for rent, they would be busy now I can tell you.

We're still finishing the apartment but had always intended to get a decent veg garden going up in the field behind us, now it's a definite to get going this year, planting season is nearly upon us.

Expect the following industries to boom this and next year:

Off grid solar and UPS battery systems
Greenhousery

im sorry with a working version of outlook why do you need people to book meetings for other people?

Im confused.

#567 User is online   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 20 March 2020 - 02:50 AM

'Senate GOP unveils massive coronavirus bill that includes checks for Americans

The Republican proposal also includes emergency aid for small businesses and industries such as airline companies.'

https://www.nbcnews....f-dyiIROywjGTUI

Treated as an 'advance tax credit' based on 2018 federal income tax. Lesser of $1,200 or the amount you paid in income tax in 2018 (for many low-income people this is $0), but if you had more than $2,500 in 'earned income', social security, or pensions the minimum is $600. Also 'reduced (but not below zero) by 5 percent of so much of the taxpayer’s adjusted gross income as exceeds $75,000.'

https://www.republic...foOlZ5G0CsUW7_0

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 20 March 2020 - 02:56 AM

#568 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 20 March 2020 - 03:09 AM

View PostLinearPhilosopher, on 20 March 2020 - 02:22 AM, said:

im sorry with a working version of outlook why do you need people to book meetings for other people?

Im confused.

Boomers gotta boom.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#569 User is online   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 20 March 2020 - 03:59 AM

'Senator Dumped Up to $1.7 Million of Stock After Reassuring Public About Coronavirus Preparedness

Intelligence Chair Richard Burr's selloff came around the time he was receiving daily briefings on the health threat.

Soon after he offered public assurances that the government was ready to battle the coronavirus, the powerful chairman of the Senate Intelligence Committee, Richard Burr, sold off a significant percentage of his stocks, unloading between $628,000 and $1.72 million of his holdings on Feb. 13 [...]

As the head of the intelligence committee, Burr, a North Carolina Republican, has access to the government's most highly classified information about threats to America's security. His committee was receiving daily coronavirus briefings around this time, according to a Reuters story. [...]

On Thursday, Burr came under fire after NPR obtained a secret recording from Feb. 27, in which the lawmaker gave a VIP group at an exclusive social club a much more dire preview of the economic impact of the coronavirus than what he had told the public.'

https://www.propubli...KXiCzudY#179760

'Second GOP Senator Dumped Stock After Coronavirus Briefing

Sen. Kelly Loeffler [Georgia] Dumped Millions in Stock After Coronavirus Briefing

[...] Burr was one of just one of three senators who voted against legislation in 2012 banning so-called congressional insider trading.

As it happens, Burr and Loeffler sat next to each other on the Senate floor during the chamber's impeachment trial in January.'

https://www.thedaily...iefing?ref=home

Posted Image

This is illegal: 'signed into law by President Barack Obama on April 4, 2012. The bill prohibits the use of non-public information for private profit, including insider trading by members of Congress and other government employees.'

https://en.wikipedia.../wiki/STOCK_Act

'The Virus Is Killing Italy's Doctors. The U.S. Could Be Next

American health workers worry about the pandemic wave overwhelming them. They should. In Italy that's already happened, and Italy was better prepared than the U.S.'

https://www.thedaily...s-could-be-next

Massive exposure can drastically increase the severity, even in young people with no major health issues.

'Trump's "Maximum Pressure" Is Helping COVID-19 Ravage Iran

[...] While U.S. sanctions formally exempt humanitarian supplies, sanctions-watchers say the reality is more complex. The breadth of the Maximum Pressure sanctions is extensive enough to dissuade firms, foreign governments, and banks from participating in the transfer of life-saving medical supplies, for fear of incurring secondary or third-degree sanctions from Washington. Reports of medical shortages followed very shortly after the Trump administration reimposed sanctions in 2018, long before a global medical crisis arrived. '

https://www.thedaily...age-the-country

No medical supplies for [insert your favorite Islamaphobic slur(s) if you're a Trump supporter, or (that and) τῷ βᾰρβᾰ́ρῳ if you're Boris]!

'Trump Told Governors to Buy Own Virus Supplies, Then Outbid Them

[...] Massachusetts Governor Charlie Baker told Trump during a video conference on Thursday that his state three times lost out to the federal government on purchases of critical supplies, creating an awkward moment during the made-for-TV event at Federal Emergency Management Agency headquarters in Washington.

"I've got a feeling that if someone has the chance to sell to you and to sell to me, I am going to lose on every one of those," a sheepish-sounding Baker told Trump, who chuckled at the remark.

The president replied he still wants governors to seek out their own medical equipment, like protective gear for doctors and nurses as well as respirators, but acknowledged the federal government has greater buying power than any state.'

https://www.bloomber...hen-outbid-them

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 20 March 2020 - 02:21 PM

#570 User is online   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 20 March 2020 - 06:02 AM

View PostLady Bliss, on 19 March 2020 - 06:25 PM, said:

Ok, I'm home and caught up. I agree that there is significant risk out there, but I feel like poverty is a greater risk, as I've lived through it and stand to lose my own home in this mess. The. US is simply not organized to deal with a crisis like this. So yes, it may sound selfish, but the collapse of our economy is more frightening to me than this virus.

'Homeowners who have lost income or their jobs because of the coronavirus outbreak are getting some relief. Depending on their situation, they should be eligible to have their mortgage payments reduced or suspended for up to 12 months.

Federal regulators, through the mortgage giants Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac, are ordering lenders to offer homeowners flexibility. The move covers about half of all home loans in the U.S. — those guaranteed by Fannie and Freddie. But regulators expect that the entire mortgage industry will quickly adopt a similar policy.

.[...] Calabria says people in financial distress because of the coronavirus can just verbally testify to that over the phone with their lender. Documenting the hardship can come later. "You're not going to have to send 20 pieces of paper at the front of this," he says. "We want to do it quickly."'

https://www.npr.org/...ikGCcFJYJTOjL3g

#571 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight

Posted 20 March 2020 - 06:50 AM

View PostMalankazooie, on 19 March 2020 - 11:53 PM, said:

Quite.

There's nothing PC or "woke" (good God do I hate that word) about raising this as an issue. There are already reports of people being attacked because the perpetrator thinks they have the virus - Trump calling it the Chinese virus because the name COVID-19 is too hard for his three braincells to contemplate has a very real chance of directing that sort of unbalanced and paranoid behaviour to the Chinese.

We don't exist in a vaccum and words carry weight. The rational in society think Trump's an idiot and so don't remotely consider acting on anything that comes out of his mouth. Not everybody is rational or of sound mind.
- Wyrd biđ ful arćd -

#572 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 20 March 2020 - 07:17 AM

Asian people are getting attacked and being told to 'take their disease back to china'.

People who were born in the US, and have never set foot in China.

Because it's being called the China virus.

This is not 'woke PC bullshit' BK, this is a direct move by Trump and co to create and external scapegoat for their absolutely abysmal handling of this crisis.

I'm surprised Boris hasn't started it over here as an easy way for the Brexiteers to blame foreigners as well.

Names stick and carry weight, everyone assumes the Spanish flu originated there, it came from a military base in the States. Spain was one of the few countries remotely accurately reporting the numbers.
The mini plague in LA in the 20/30s? Was blamed on the Latinos (I think) and that whole section of the city was brutally quarn'd, the problem was ground squirrels Garry's the disease, papers and officials didn't want the word plague spreading, LA was being sold and a pristine city.

So yah, I'm not sure it's just woke PC bullshit

#573 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

• Malazan Yo Yo Champion 2009
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 20 March 2020 - 07:37 AM

View PostMacros, on 20 March 2020 - 07:17 AM, said:

I'm surprised Boris hasn't started it over here as an easy way for the Brexiteers to blame foreigners as well.

I would hope that his scientific advisors would refuse to stand next to him at his press conferences if he did shit like that.

Is anyone in California? Where's Worry damnit. I've been telling my staff that work from the US will slow down but they disagree because our Californian clients are still sending lots in. Are people generally staying at home there? Same question for NJ.

My little boy was telling us how much he loves his friends this morning. He doesn't know he won't see them for at least 12 weeks yet :(
Burn rubber =/= warp speed

#574 User is offline   Tattersail_ 

• formerly Ganoes Paran
  • Interests:Mafia. Awesome Pictures. Awesome Videos. Did I mention Mafia?
    snapchat - rustyspoon84

Posted 20 March 2020 - 08:32 AM

View PostMezla PigDog, on 20 March 2020 - 07:37 AM, said:

I would hope that his scientific advisors would refuse to stand next to him at his press conferences if he did shit like that.

Is anyone in California? Where's Worry damnit. I've been telling my staff that work from the US will slow down but they disagree because our Californian clients are still sending lots in. Are people generally staying at home there? Same question for NJ.

My little boy was telling us how much he loves his friends this morning. He doesn't know he won't see them for at least 12 weeks yet :(

What sort of work are they sending you?
Apt is the only one who reads this. Apt is nice.

#575 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 20 March 2020 - 11:41 AM

I realized all these celebs thought this would be a nice sweet thing to do...but the tone deafness of it is astonishing. What a bunch of idiots.

"Quarantined Celebrities sing a song about a world without possessions...from their million dollar mansions"...

https://www.reddit.c...tm_medium=web2x
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#576 User is offline   Obdigore 

• ThunderBear

Posted 20 March 2020 - 12:14 PM

View PostMezla PigDog, on 20 March 2020 - 07:37 AM, said:

Lots of people are staying in. We are, left the house for the first time in 4 days to go grocery shopping, don't plan to leave again until next wednesday. It isn't a ghost town, but lots of people are still in.

Meanwhile some people are having parties and whatnot because they think its all a political hoax.

We grabbed take out at our favorite restaurant as a treat and they said business was down about 30% and they are trying to find ways to not lay off most of there servers, since all in-restaurant dining has been closed by order of the state government.

Still no eggs on any grocery store shelf. I'm still boggled by the amount of eggs people are buying. Other stuff is medium to low, but not just completely empty, although we didn't check for TP because we have some for a while.
Monster Hunter World Iceborne: It's like hunting monsters, but on crack, but the monsters are also on crack.

#577 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 20 March 2020 - 12:28 PM

Same here. Only going out on a grocery trip when we absolutely need it and try to coincide it with other stuff (getting my daily meds refilled; taking things to my immunocompromised in-laws) to make the trip worthwhile. We go by car. I get out and get the stuff, sanitize my hands, social distance while in the store. I'm a little wary of getting takeout as I worry about others preparing food we will eat in this situation...but you make a really good point about supporting the establishments we like during this time of economic struggle. Maybe we will get takeout tonight then.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#578 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 20 March 2020 - 12:44 PM

Set up at home, except the service that gives me the code to get onto work's server remotely isn't working, so I am on the phone to IT... in my kitchen.

It's not ideal.
Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#579 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 20 March 2020 - 12:55 PM

View PostMaark Abbott, on 20 March 2020 - 12:44 PM, said:

Set up at home, except the service that gives me the code to get onto work's server remotely isn't working, so I am on the phone to IT... in my kitchen.

It's not ideal.

If you are on the phone in just your undies, you're already doing better than having to shower (yes, I know it's a forlorn hope with you English), shave and commute to work.
Alongside people of whom you detest about 50%. On average.
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#580 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 20 March 2020 - 01:08 PM

View PostMaark Abbott, on 20 March 2020 - 12:44 PM, said:

It's not ideal.

I'm in the same boat for a few of the things I do for work...and they can't fix it without port forwarding, which they don't want to do (not secure), so I'm basically doing like 75% of the job, and the other 25% will pile up and I'll have to handle it all when I'm back in the office instead.

Not ideal. Wish I could do it all from home.

Share this topic:

• 174 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

23 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 23 guests, 0 anonymous users