Malazan Empire: COVID-19 (aka Coronavirus, aka 2019-nCoV) - Malazan Empire

• 50 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

COVID-19 (aka Coronavirus, aka 2019-nCoV)

#841 User is online   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• First Sword
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 26 March 2020 - 03:57 AM

View PostBeaver Killia, on 26 March 2020 - 03:50 AM, said:

1,795 here as of today's count. 11 in parish which was at 5 yesterday. They really going after the Mardi Gras infection theory. That was a month ago. So what there has probably been atleast 3 waves in NA now? Or y'all think more?

Now we will have the fleeing NYers and the dumbass Spring Breakers waves to deal with next.

Then come the waves of flood-bearing winds....

#842 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 26 March 2020 - 04:01 AM

View PostAzath Vitr (D, on 24 March 2020 - 06:04 PM, said:

Oh ffs 'Trump Hopes to Have Country "Opened Up" by Easter

[...] In a Fox News virtual town hall, Trump said he wanted to have the country and the economy “raring to go by Easter”—a date less than three weeks away that he said was also “an important day for other reasons.”'

[

Case Nightmare Green kickoff date confirmed.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#843 User is online   Briar King 

• Master of the Deck
  • Drive by bye bye king

Posted 26 March 2020 - 04:06 AM

Man going back to page 1 makes for such an interesting read!
Drive by bye bye king on my dumb horse

#844 User is offline   Cause 

• God

Posted 26 March 2020 - 06:28 AM

Abyss, on 26 March 2020 - 04:01 AM, said:

Azath Vitr (D, on 24 March 2020 - 06:04 PM, said:

Oh ffs 'Trump Hopes to Have Country "Opened Up" by Easter

[...] In a Fox News virtual town hall, Trump said he wanted to have the country and the economy “raring to go by Easter”—a date less than three weeks away that he said was also “an important day for other reasons.”'

[

Case Nightmare Green kickoff date confirmed.

Not everyone on the forum has the necessary clearance to know about CASE NIGHTMARE GREEN, please consult with your line manager about the necessary disciplinary actions

#845 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 26 March 2020 - 07:13 AM

View PostMezla PigDog, on 25 March 2020 - 05:25 PM, said:

View PostGorefest, on 25 March 2020 - 04:54 PM, said:

We don't actually do any extraction ourselves at present, so far we are just collecting patient samples (nose/throat swabs, urine, faeces, blood) and processing the blood samples for plasma and white blood cells, which then get shipped on to Liverpool for processing and sequencing. We do have some things in the pipeline though, isolating PBMCs for downstream research applications, as well as development of novel ELISA tests.

But yeah, I think Sanger is the big player in this work.

I meant Illumina. They have cornered the market big time. There is a bit of nanopore sequencing going on too but not much.

Enjoy those stool samples. Or maybe you get a bit of a cough just at the end of the 2 weeks quarantine for your wife. Although I used to process sputum samples for my post doc and I'd take poop over that, any day of the week.

Illumina is the worst. The amount of angry emails I've sent their US office over shitty documentation and even shittier logistics could fill an epic fantasy series sized amount of books.
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#846 User is online   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• First Sword

Posted 26 March 2020 - 02:02 PM

'Hospitals consider universal do-not-resuscitate orders for coronavirus patients

[...]

Hospitals on the front lines of the pandemic are engaged in a heated private debate over a calculation few have encountered in their lifetimes — how to weigh the "save at all costs" approach to resuscitating a dying patient against the real danger of exposing doctors and nurses to the contagion of coronavirus.

The conversations are driven by the realization that the risk to staff amid dwindling stores of protective equipment — such as masks, gowns and gloves — may be too great to justify the conventional response when a patient "codes," and their heart or breathing stops.'

https://www.washingt...jKt2coLFeDjy__E

'Coronavirus Heroes Are Getting Tossed From Their Homes by Scared Landlords

"We're being seen as walking Petri dishes."

[...] had just finished her shift at St. Rose Hospital in Las Vegas, where she works as an emergency room nurse, when she received an email from her landlord labeled, "Quick Action Needed." Her landlord—a quiet, older woman who lived downstairs from Jones and her husband—informed her that she would need to vacate the premises within 24 hours. The reason, she said, was COVID-19.

"I don't want interaction or debate over this decision," the landlord wrote in emails reviewed by The Daily Beast. "I'm sorry for the abrupt notice, but given the situation, it's the choice I'm making to protect myself."

Around the country, nurses like Jones and Carter—who are fighting the epidemic with little protective gear and at great risk to themselves—are being booted from their homes by property owners who fear they may bring the new coronavirus home with them.

[...] potential landlords backing out of rental agreements, Airbnb hosts denying their requests, and current proprietors turning them out on the street. [...]

"Honestly, I have never felt scared to be a nurse until this happened," said one nurse in New Hampshire. "We love what we do, we just want to be able to do it without worrying about where we will lay our heads."'

https://www.thedaily...dlords?ref=home

'Woman Coughs All Over $35K of Food at Pennsylvania Store

"VERY TWISTED PRANK"

The grocery store said it was left with no choice but to throw out the food and disinfect the building.'

https://www.thedaily...-store?ref=home

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 26 March 2020 - 02:05 PM

#847 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 26 March 2020 - 06:16 PM

A sergeant who works in the same town as me was spat at and told she would be given COVID-19. Dude has been sent to prison for 26 weeks thank goodness.

Story: https://www.lancashi...IpKwAoFyutXeTS0
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#848 User is online   Mentalist 

• Martyr of High House Mafia
  • Interests:Soccer, Chess, swimming, books, misc
  • Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 26 March 2020 - 06:52 PM

My mom and the rest of staff in her place ow work (dialysis clinic associated with one of the hospitals) was told they'd be issued 2 masks per day.

The deficit is real.
The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard
THE CONTESTtm WINNER--чемпіон самоконтролю

View PostJump Around, on 23 October 2011 - 11:04 AM, said:

And I want to state that Ment has out-weaseled me by far in this game.

#849 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• Make the Empire Great Again

Posted 26 March 2020 - 07:36 PM

To lift your spirits: try a staycation!

https://www.escape.c...0beffb3fa5ad4d3

Yes, yes I know this belongs in the "almost funny" thread but the last few pages of this one were depressing the hell out of me.
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#850 User is offline   Cause 

• God

Posted 26 March 2020 - 08:09 PM

Surely its illegal to kick people out so fast

View PostTiste Simeon, on 26 March 2020 - 06:16 PM, said:

A sergeant who works in the same town as me was spat at and told she would be given COVID-19. Dude has been sent to prison for 26 weeks thank goodness.

Story: https://www.lancashi...IpKwAoFyutXeTS0

Stay Safe Tiste, Your job is more important than ever but sadly there are too many who dont understand this.

#851 User is offline   Cause 

• God

Posted 26 March 2020 - 08:22 PM

View PostMentalist, on 26 March 2020 - 06:52 PM, said:

My mom and the rest of staff in her place ow work (dialysis clinic associated with one of the hospitals) was told they'd be issued 2 masks per day.

The deficit is real.

This is a bigger problem than it may seem. PPE used incorectly can be worse than no PPE. It often gives a false sense of security. The amazon delivery men or grocery store workers who wear the same pair of gloves all day are probably wosrse off than if they wore no gloves but remembered to wash their hands every 15 min.

Wearing gloves in chemistry labs is know for example to also lead to people touching their face more or playing with their phone more even when they know they shouldn't. It creates a false sense of security.

#852 User is online   Briar King 

• Master of the Deck
  • Drive by bye bye king

Posted 26 March 2020 - 08:47 PM

Cause, on 26 March 2020 - 08:22 PM, said:

Mentalist, on 26 March 2020 - 06:52 PM, said:

The deficit is real.

This is a bigger problem than it may seem. PPE used incorectly can be worse than no PPE. It often gives a false sense of security. The amazon delivery men or grocery store workers who wear the same pair of gloves all day are probably wosrse off than if they wore no gloves but remembered to wash their hands every 15 min.

Wearing gloves in chemistry labs is know for example to also lead to people touching their face more or playing with their phone more even when they know they shouldn't. It creates a false sense of security.

My dr. lectured the shit out of me yesterday when I showed up wearing gloves. Not in a mean way but stern non the less pointing out the false security thing and things he saw me doing unsafely just within the first few moments of him walking in.

2300+ here, 15 in parish.

Who is going to be the 1st of us? Coronapool

#853 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• Make the Empire Great Again

Posted 26 March 2020 - 09:57 PM

Living la vida Corona.

Coronapool - one side of me thinks that's cynical and grim as all fuck, but the other side says ... someone in health/testing/law enforcement. And I hope hope hope we get through this with zero.

Stay safe frontliners, you magnificent bastards. :)

I'm sure there's a website tracking celebrity infections. Maybe TMZ. :p

This post has been edited by Tsundoku: 26 March 2020 - 09:58 PM

"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#854 User is offline   Garak 

• First Sword
  • Interests:40k, Star Wars, Babylon 5, WW2, A Song of Ice and Fire, the Drenai series, the Riftwar and all that followed it, D&D, Vikings, the Malazan Book of the Fallen. I think you get the gist of it.

Posted 26 March 2020 - 11:13 PM

And the USA now has more infected than China. Yeeesh that skyrocketed fast.
The meaning of life is BOOM!!!

#855 User is offline   Itwæs Nom 

• Inquisitor of High House Mafia

Posted 26 March 2020 - 11:55 PM

Mentalist, on 26 March 2020 - 06:52 PM, said:

The deficit is real.

A friend of mine's mother also works at dialysis ward at a local hospital, at some point during last week, when the number of cases and shortage of masks were getting significant here, they had this patient with a bad cough and a fever, when the nurses requested one of the masks that just came through that morning their boss just told them that only 8 of them came so she can't really spare any for that case (yes at a fucking dialysis ward) and she wouldn't budge, eventually they all had to flat out refuse to enter with the patient without masks to get her to call the supply center or whatever in Prague to send them more masks, when she finally did that the lady over the phone just went wtf we've already sent you over 80 of them today... the boss then laughed it off saying she thought it was 8 masks not packs while the nurses just went on their way with uncomprehending looks and probably a hard fought urge to go full facepalm

Of course the guy turned out positive, she immediately went to get tested when the boss found out and came out negative, she was supposed to be in 1 week quarantine but it got shortened because they don't have any spare nurses and someone's gotta be at the ward

Also said friend works there too but only part time and luckily enough wasn't there when the guy was, but that's already a mere social distance of 2 that I've been from someone who's been in direct contact with the virus, as of one week ago

Also the number of new confirmed daily cases appears to have started to diminish/stagnate, still can't believe how well handled the situation has been here so far, at least as far as the sole number of confirmed cases as an indicator goes
"Yeah but then it's endless rain and SAD and everyone compensating by getting endlessly irritatingly high all the time"

#856 User is online   Briar King 

• Master of the Deck
  • Drive by bye bye king

Posted 27 March 2020 - 12:22 AM

Tsundoku, on 26 March 2020 - 09:57 PM, said:

Living la vida Corona.

Coronapool - one side of me thinks that's cynical and grim as all fuck, but the other side says ... someone in health/testing/law enforcement. And I hope hope hope we get through this with zero.

Stay safe frontliners, you magnificent bastards. :)

I'm sure there's a website tracking celebrity infections. Maybe TMZ. :p

Absolfuckinglutley hope it’s zero.

#857 User is online   Briar King 

• Master of the Deck
  • Drive by bye bye king

Posted 27 March 2020 - 12:34 AM

Finally got 2 drive thru testing sites up and running in parish. You must call 1st and answer questions.

Been days now that it was revealed the corona has hit a prison in the parish NE of mine and now it’s coming out that some staff in a few federal prisons across state have tested positive. They won’t release these locations for fear of uprisings, which is the smart thing to do yet the story is still up on the one close to me. They should take the story down off site.

#858 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• General Kenobi
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Sith Beatdowns

Posted 27 March 2020 - 01:58 AM

17,056 new cases in the US in the last 24 hrs...fucking hell...
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

#859 User is online   Mentalist 

• Martyr of High House Mafia
  • Interests:Soccer, Chess, swimming, books, misc
  • Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 27 March 2020 - 02:07 AM

QuickTidal, on 27 March 2020 - 01:58 AM, said:

17,056 new cases in the US in the last 24 hrs...fucking hell...

Trump says numbers curve one way, reality swings the curve the other way.
The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard
THE CONTESTtm WINNER--чемпіон самоконтролю

View PostJump Around, on 23 October 2011 - 11:04 AM, said:

And I want to state that Ment has out-weaseled me by far in this game.

#860 User is online   Aptorian 

• How you doin?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 27 March 2020 - 03:59 AM

If EVERY American has Corona, then there's no longer any reason to isolate. Trump's the smartest.

This post has been edited by Aptorian: 27 March 2020 - 03:59 AM

Share this topic:

• 50 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

6 User(s) are reading this topic
2 members, 3 guests, 1 anonymous users

1. Briar King,
  2. Azath Vitr (D'ivers