Malazan Empire: COVID-19 (aka Coronavirus, aka 2019-nCoV) - Malazan Empire

• 174 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

COVID-19 (aka Coronavirus, aka 2019-nCoV)

#1541 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 15 June 2020 - 05:49 PM

View PostAptorian, on 15 June 2020 - 11:42 AM, said:

Good idea to keep your own back-up's of the Excel ark but if this is your standard cloud based setup, you should be able to go back to older versions of the document using history. You can even keep track of who has accessed it the past days, weeks, months and pinpoint who the idiot is who accidentally overwrote two hundred entries with the word "hdqřćlo".

True, we stuck it on Google drive so there is a solid version history and rollback option in place. But better safe than sorry. But that was our own initiative, not Oxford instructions. I dunno, it all seems very wobbly. Then again, all the info is kept in 5-6 fold, with both paper copies and online spreadsheets, so everything is retraceable from volunteer to freezer tube. The user-friendliness is about 1 out of 10, though😁
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#1542 User is offline   LinearPhilosopher 

• House Knight
  • Interests:Everything.

Posted 15 June 2020 - 11:20 PM

Good idea to keep your own back-up's of the Excel ark but if this is your standard cloud based setup, you should be able to go back to older versions of the document using history. You can even keep track of who has accessed it the past days, weeks, months and pinpoint who the idiot is who accidentally overwrote two hundred entries with the word "hdqřćlo".

I also don't know about the sheet, but theres ways of restricting how data gets entered into the sheets. You can force it to only accept "YES" or "No" as opposed to YES Yes No NO YEs YES(space) no(Tab) etc........

View PostGorefest, on 15 June 2020 - 05:49 PM, said:

True, we stuck it on Google drive so there is a solid version history and rollback option in place. But better safe than sorry. But that was our own initiative, not Oxford instructions. I dunno, it all seems very wobbly. Then again, all the info is kept in 5-6 fold, with both paper copies and online spreadsheets, so everything is retraceable from volunteer to freezer tube. The user-friendliness is about 1 out of 10, though😁

buddy from experience, depending on how many people are there, accessing a version of a spreadsheet that is 6 months old could outright crash google chrome. We had that issue at work.

This post has been edited by LinearPhilosopher: 15 June 2020 - 11:21 PM

#1543 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 16 June 2020 - 02:19 AM

Oh boy, with the continuation of loosening restrictions, gyms and fitness centers are now allowed to open (with spefic protocols in place). In conjunction with this, I saw an advert with the heading "How to flatten your curves" Posted Image

#1544 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 16 June 2020 - 03:44 AM

View PostMalankazooie, on 16 June 2020 - 02:19 AM, said:

Oh boy, with the continuation of loosening restrictions, gyms and fitness centers are now allowed to open (with spefic protocols in place). In conjunction with this, I saw an advert with the heading "How to flatten your curves" Posted Image

I am staying far away from gyms.

In South Korea, they found that exercising vigorously indoors with a bunch of other people leads to COVID-19: https://wwwnc.cdc.go...20-0633_article

Yoga didn't and subways/buses don't either - it's because people don't talk or breath hard.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#1545 User is offline   Andorion 

• God
  • Interests:All things Malazan, sundry sci-fi and fantasy, history, Iron Maiden

Posted 16 June 2020 - 04:00 AM

View Postamphibian, on 16 June 2020 - 03:44 AM, said:

View PostMalankazooie, on 16 June 2020 - 02:19 AM, said:

I am staying far away from gyms.

In South Korea, they found that exercising vigorously indoors with a bunch of other people leads to COVID-19: https://wwwnc.cdc.go...20-0633_article

Yoga didn't and subways/buses don't either - it's because people don't talk or breath hard.

There was also something about collective singing like choirs spreading it really fast

#1546 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 16 June 2020 - 08:34 AM

The Isle of Man has not had a new case for 26 days and by next week everything will be reopened. Except the borders. Cos when that happens it's all going to happen again because the UK government is so inept.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#1547 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 16 June 2020 - 09:00 AM

I've been to the gym fuor times now since thursday. Most people are very cautious and show awareness but you can definitely tell that some people don't give a fuck. This morning a guy a row over from me at an eliptical was just coughing and clearing his throat constantly for 20 minutes. Wanted to stuff his mouth with an alcohol soaked wad of paper.

This was early morning mind you. I don't want to imagine what it's like in the afternoon/evening at peak hours.

#1548 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 16 June 2020 - 10:38 AM

Every part of my province is open as of Friday except for Peel, Windsor, and Toronto..into phase 2.

So that tracks...lol, stuck in lockdown. If our nu,beds contiue to go down tho,...I expect that to change next Friday.

That said, I have such crippling anxiety about going out and doing normal things now that I don’t know how I’m going to manage when Im Allowed to manage.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#1549 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 16 June 2020 - 12:14 PM

New Zealand, who JUST got clear of COVID a couple of weeks back and opened up like a week ago...has two new cases...both came over the closed border from the UK on a "special allowance/exemption" to be allowed to attend a funeral...and both were sick...and one of them was even exhibiting symptoms so she fucking lied about that and endangered a whole country.

Now they are hoping that they didn't stop anywhere from where they landed (Aukland to Wellington...some 650k?) to where they were going by car...but that may not be the case.

Like in S Korea, all it takes is ONE asshole to ruin shit.

I feel badly because everyone in NZ was so happy to be clear of this...and the borders still being closed mean there were safe....until someone begged to be let in for a funeral and blammo.

Jacinda doing a presser at 3PM for NZers

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 16 June 2020 - 12:16 PM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#1550 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 16 June 2020 - 02:11 PM

UK bellends ruining it for everyone again...
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#1551 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 16 June 2020 - 02:24 PM

Breaking news that a mild steroid drug to help those hospitalized with it (Deximethosone?) on ventilator and oxygen to survive it is successfully being deployed against it. That sounds like good news for anyone who gets this virus in a bad way.

#1552 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

• Malazan Yo Yo Champion 2009
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 16 June 2020 - 09:35 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 16 June 2020 - 12:14 PM, said:

...and one of them was even exhibiting symptoms so she fucking lied about that and endangered a whole country.

I haven't read extensively on this yet but from what I did read this is a bit harsh. It reflects one of the exquisite things about public health that makes it so interesting to me. Apparently the standard questioning in the NZ government facility was that they should ask about each of the symptoms one by one but the lady in question was instead asked "Do you feel well?" And she apparently answered "Yes" honestly because the symptoms she had were also symptoms of a preexisting condition and she didn't think to interrogate them. So there is this whole behavioural science thing that goes hand in hand with the more pure science aspects.
Burn rubber =/= warp speed

#1553 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 16 June 2020 - 11:52 PM

View PostMezla PigDog, on 16 June 2020 - 09:35 PM, said:

View PostQuickTidal, on 16 June 2020 - 12:14 PM, said:

...and one of them was even exhibiting symptoms so she fucking lied about that and endangered a whole country.

I haven't read extensively on this yet but from what I did read this is a bit harsh. It reflects one of the exquisite things about public health that makes it so interesting to me. Apparently the standard questioning in the NZ government facility was that they should ask about each of the symptoms one by one but the lady in question was instead asked "Do you feel well?" And she apparently answered "Yes" honestly because the symptoms she had were also symptoms of a preexisting condition and she didn't think to interrogate them. So there is this whole behavioural science thing that goes hand in hand with the more pure science aspects.

I’m less inclined to give her the benefit of the doubt here, because said preexisting condition should not allow her to be dismissive during a pandemic. That’s not the time to be like “I’m probably fine, it’s just my allergies” or whatever she did.

#1554 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 17 June 2020 - 07:02 PM

If the symptoms she was experiencing were not distinguishable from her 'normal' health situation (which apparently wasn't very good), you cannot really cast judgements. If you ask someone with e.g. COPD if they have a more persistent than usual cough, chances are they will say no. At the end of the day, they were in a hotel specifically setup to isolate new arrivals and you would assume that there would be health officals on site giving them the green light to leave.

I think the more important message here is that it is almost impossible, practically speaking, to completely achieve disease-free status simply through isolation alone. Eventually it will just return. Which is why in the long term you need effective treatment and/or a very robust track-and-trace system and/or herd immunity. This time the blame is put at the feet of two UK ladies, but really this just exposes the intrinsic flaws in the New Zealand setup. It is a false sense of security and very fragile.

This post has been edited by Gorefest: 17 June 2020 - 07:07 PM

Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#1555 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 17 June 2020 - 07:11 PM

View PostGorefest, on 17 June 2020 - 07:02 PM, said:

If the symptoms she was experiencing were not distinguishable from her 'normal' health situation (which apparently wasn't very good), you cannot really cast judgements. If you ask someone with e.g. COPD if they have a more persistent than usual cough, chances are they will say no. At the end of the day, they were in a hotel specifically setup to isolate new arrivals and you would assume that there would be health officals on site giving them the green light to leave.

Apparently the green light was given during the isolation as a special exemption from the govt to allow them to a funeral before the 2 weeks were up.

And I'm still not giving up my ire at them for this. I don't care what her health situation was...I don't care if it's COPD or a cold...she should be honest about everything, and if that means she misses a damned funeral until they can get a COVID test through her...then she misses a damned funeral. Not sorry. My mother in law is declining hard right now and when she passes they will come and take her and we won't be able to have any further contact until things are back to normal and her cremains are given back once they are allowed to do so. There will be no funerals or anything else until things are back to square. We accept that.

The whole world is filled with people unable to see their loved ones, and in a lot of cases not have or attend funeral services. At what point does your attempt to be "special" top everyone else's health? Like that's my upset. They pleaded to be let out early...and that was allowed. Into a country that JUST got out of lockdown...like come on. Should the health official who allowed it also be held responsible? Sure. But why do the people asking for special treatment during a pandemic get off the hook?

#1556 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 18 June 2020 - 11:17 PM

Pandemic beards - making men lazy? Or nah, glorious soup strainers for every face?

As things have started to flow back to post lock down activity around my parts, I'm seeing a lot of dudes with plague beards. Some glorious and beautiful. But most are gross, and patchy, and ugly, and no... just no. I think guys should get back to shaving. Leave the beardies who can pull it off to their unique and beautiful skill set. Others, shave that mess.

#1557 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 18 June 2020 - 11:27 PM

View PostMalankazooie, on 18 June 2020 - 11:17 PM, said:

Pandemic beards - making men lazy? Or nah, glorious soup strainers for every face?

As things have started to flow back to post lock down activity around my parts, I'm seeing a lot of dudes with plague beards. Some glorious and beautiful. But most are gross, and patchy, and ugly, and no... just no. I think guys should get back to shaving. Leave the beardies who can pull it off to their unique and beautiful skill set. Others, shave that mess.

To be certain the seal of my P100 mask doesn't slip down to a bearded area of my face, I've been shaving to the bottom of my chin. Looks a bit bizarre but IDGAF. The chin region should be easy to regrow before I start maskless in-person interactions again.

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 18 June 2020 - 11:28 PM

#1558 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 19 June 2020 - 08:12 AM

QuickTidal, on 17 June 2020 - 07:11 PM, said:

The whole world is filled with people unable to see their loved ones, and in a lot of cases not have or attend funeral services. At what point does your attempt to be "special" top everyone else's health? Like that's my upset. They pleaded to be let out early...and that was allowed. Into a country that JUST got out of lockdown...like come on. Should the health official who allowed it also be held responsible? Sure. But why do the people asking for special treatment during a pandemic get off the hook?

I am not advocating to let anyone of any hooks, but I feel it is more productive to target the underlying cause instead of the symptom. If it hadnt been these two women, it would have been someone else to slip the net. Either the current setup is not sustainable or they need to review the robustness of their isolation policy, otherwise this will just keep happening over and over again. Without knowing exactly what 'symptoms' they displayed and what underlying condition they have, it is very difficult to establish whether this was just a selfish act of irresponsibility or a genuine judgement error. If they had a fever, sure, that should have been picked up on. But if it was just a - terribly vague and undefined - 'persistent cough', this can easily be masked by underlying health issues. It only takes one random person also in lockdown to then tell a journalist that 'the lady was coughing all the time' and we have a media hunt in place over rule breaking and irresponsible behaviour.

#1559 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 21 June 2020 - 08:58 AM

This is why For-Profit health systems - where hospitals and insurance companies combine to pull ever-larger numbers straight out of their arses - is so very, very wrong.

https://futurism.com...n-hospital-bill

Good thing old mate shouldn't have to pay the bill. But what about those who might end up having to (not sure if this is a possibility in the US)?
You'll get patient's relatives deciding to pull the plug because it's too expensive to try to save them. Of course under the US system, that probably goes for treatment of a lot of different ailments.

This post has been edited by Tsundoku: 21 June 2020 - 09:19 AM

"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#1560 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 22 June 2020 - 05:08 PM

Toronto moving to Stage 2 of reopening now, with the only place left in the province at stage 1 lockdown is Windsor (migrant worker breakout). Our case numbers are down to 36 today.

This is great news, and now I just need to start dealing with my social anxiety about getting back out to do certain things.

Share this topic:

• 174 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

5 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users