Malazan Empire: COVID-19 (aka Coronavirus, aka 2019-nCoV) - Malazan Empire

• 174 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

COVID-19 (aka Coronavirus, aka 2019-nCoV)

#1501 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 01 June 2020 - 07:32 AM

I get marching to show solidarity with the protesters in the US, the marches round the world definitely helped shine and light and increase pressure on SA to end apartheid.

However, at this time, this is just down right fucking stupid.

Not springbreakers/Cheltenham/Lfcvmadrid stupid, but still stupid

#1502 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 02 June 2020 - 05:06 PM

COVID-19, tear gas, and pepper spray:

'Although OC and chemical agents can be very effective in suspect or riot control situations, the use of such tools results in coughing and sneezing by those exposed – often including other law enforcement personnel or even bystanders.

With the risk of COVID-19 contagion, what does this mean for the use of OC and other chemical agents right now?

Dr. Jeffrey Ho, a deputy sheriff and medical director for Meeker County Sheriff's Office in Minnesota, and chief EMS medical director for Hennepin Healthcare System's Departments of Emergency Medicine and EMS says in his opinion it is a "bad idea."

"The biggest reason deploying chemical agents is a bad idea is that these agents are respiratory irritants and cause the production of a lot of secretions, which results in coughing," said Dr. Ho. "We know that coughing is one of the best ways to aerosolize germs into microparticles that become airborne and could then infect others. These microparticles also land on surfaces and data suggests could live for several days. [Includinng on shoes, as several studies have shown.] If those surfaces are touched later on by someone, you now have the perfect chance for spreading those particles elsewhere and infecting others."'

https://www.policeon...ZnM226bExDoNtO/

Notice that article is from April 6th. US police departments had already been advised that using tear gas and pepper spray will spread the virus.

They had been responding to the pandemic by providing people in custody with masks. Now they're doing the opposite:

'police were removing masks from protesters and not returning them as they sat in close proximity to other people in holding.'

https://uk.news.yaho...qnCix5CIyPa00Ji

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 02 June 2020 - 05:10 PM

#1503 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 02 June 2020 - 05:09 PM

I thought the US numbers were already bad...in 1-2 weeks get ready for far worse than anyone can imagine.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#1504 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 02 June 2020 - 08:34 PM

For the nay sayers who say 'people die every day, doctors are just sticking Covid on every death cert to make it look worse than it is'

60k people more dead over the pandemic period over the last 5 years average in the UK.

I guess they all just dropped for the fun of it

Attached File  Screenshot_20200602_211951_com.android.chrome.jpg (496.4K)
Number of downloads: 0

#1505 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 02 June 2020 - 11:36 PM

'Police in Washington, D.C., arrested protesters Monday for wearing masks even though coronavirus precautions require face coverings be worn outdoors at nearly all times. [...] D.C. health recommendations mandate that people gathering in public or entering businesses cover their faces to slow the spread of COVID-19'

https://www.thedaily...es-require-them

#1506 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus

Posted 03 June 2020 - 05:40 AM

nono Mat, it's just a flu! Let me show you this perfectly legit youtube video from a very real expert that will explain why it's just liberals manipulating the numbers.

This post has been edited by Morgoth: 03 June 2020 - 05:40 AM

Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#1507 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 04 June 2020 - 07:14 PM

Wow, from pedal to the metal, full bore ahead to nary a peep. The news cycle truly is a commodified business model.

#1508 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Martyr of High House Mafia
  • Interests:Soccer, Chess, swimming, books, misc
  • Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 04 June 2020 - 08:04 PM

View PostMalankazooie, on 04 June 2020 - 07:14 PM, said:

Wow, from pedal to the metal, full bore ahead to nary a peep. The news cycle truly is a commodified business model.

Whatever's trending on Twitter, gets to be news.

Since I ignore social meadia, it makes my life a lot easier.
The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard
THE CONTESTtm WINNER--чемпіон самоконтролю

View PostJump Around, on 23 October 2011 - 11:04 AM, said:

And I want to state that Ment has out-weaseled me by far in this game.

#1509 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 04 June 2020 - 11:01 PM

Twitter is itching powder for the ego.

#1510 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 06 June 2020 - 01:56 PM

A political proposal that's to be discussed this weekend, suggests training centers could open as early as Monday June 8th in Denmark. Last report suggested it might not open before August.

I'm beyond excited!

Can't wait to discover how weak I've become and have a good cry afterwards.

This post has been edited by Aptorian: 06 June 2020 - 01:56 PM

#1511 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 06 June 2020 - 08:04 PM

Nsfw, but funny and true

https://youtu.be/tDnGQemzf2s

#1512 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 07 June 2020 - 05:42 PM

'NYPD Is Taking Protesters' Masks and Putting Them at Risk of Coronavirus in Custody

The NYPD Crackdown on Protesters Is Creating the Perfect Breeding Ground for Coronavirus

Protesters are being held as long as 50 hours with no protective gear or ability to socially distance from other protesters in custody — or cops.

[...] "People were screaming, 'Please give us our masks!'" said Sherard. "They just packed us in there like sardines. There was one person who was turning red and throwing up and sweating. Someone was yelling that he had the coronavirus and they have us in here without masks on."

[...] "It's shocking for the city on the one hand to be saying, 'Engage in all of these practices,' and then to say, 'In the hours that you're in our custody, and you don't have any control over how far away you are from other people or whether you have masks or whether you can wash your hands, we're simply not going to let you do those things'"'

https://www.vice.com...SEvnZtsQe98HIOI

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 07 June 2020 - 05:43 PM

#1513 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 07 June 2020 - 06:12 PM

Last weekend a couple thousand people did a black lives matter protest march here in Copenhagen.

This weekend there's around 10-12,000 people crammed into the streets. I really, really hope these well meaning idiots don't restart this bullshit epidemic.

#1514 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 07 June 2020 - 06:50 PM

View PostAptorian, on 07 June 2020 - 06:12 PM, said:

Last weekend a couple thousand people did a black lives matter protest march here in Copenhagen.

This weekend there's around 10-12,000 people crammed into the streets. I really, really hope these well meaning idiots don't restart this bullshit epidemic.

It seems like maintaining a 6 feet or 2 meter distance would only be a moderate inconvenience---and make the protests much larger in area. Instead of chanting and shouting, protesters could use their smartphones' speakers. (Where there are ordinances against using louder electronic speakers, local government could temporarily modify them to substitute for chanting/shouting.) Unfortunately the vast majority of protesters aren't doing this... though being outside and wearing masks both help.

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 07 June 2020 - 06:51 PM

#1515 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 07 June 2020 - 09:27 PM

I was at a protest today that had probably 5k people at it. There was 99.9% mask compliance.

The police were smart and stayed away. Less chance of confrontation and problems and violence if they're not there (a half mile away).
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#1516 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 08 June 2020 - 06:32 PM

Oh boy...Posted Image. The evolving messages about this have been frustrating, but I guess "we're learning new things" as we move through this strange time in history?¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Posted Image

This post has been edited by Malankazooie: 08 June 2020 - 06:32 PM

#1517 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 08 June 2020 - 06:39 PM

An actual link to that article would be nice, Kazooie.

Danish government has been focusing on large gatherings lately and saying some similar. They believe the big factor is so called super spreaders, individuals who infect large groups, rather than just random person to person contact.

#1518 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 08 June 2020 - 10:10 PM

View PostMalankazooie, on 08 June 2020 - 06:32 PM, said:

Oh boy...Posted Image. The evolving messages about this have been frustrating, but I guess "we're learning new things" as we move through this strange time in history?¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Posted Image

Based on data from contact tracing:

'She acknowledged that some studies have indicated asymptomatic or presymptomatic spread in nursing homes and in household settings.

More research and data are needed to "truly answer" the question of whether the coronavirus can spread widely through asymptomatic carriers, Van Kerkhove added.

"We have a number of reports from countries who are doing very detailed contact tracing," she said. "They're following asymptomatic cases. They're following contacts. And they're not finding secondary transmission onward. It's very rare."'

https://www.cnbc.com...s-who-says.html

So did these asymptomatic carriers already know they were infected? Or does the contact tracing go back over a sufficiently log period of time before they realized they were infected? Were social distancing or mask-wearing already implemented?...

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 08 June 2020 - 10:10 PM

#1519 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 09 June 2020 - 04:36 PM

'the WHO's announcement was immediately met with skepticism and pushback from prominent health and medical experts – underscoring how the scientific community is still far from consensus over how the novel coronavirus operates. [...]

It's not that asymptomatic people don't spread the virus — but that contact tracing is simply bad at detecting it, they argue. The studies cited by WHO relied on only a small number of people in China who claimed to have gotten sick from someone who had symptoms – which is not exactly a rigorous scientific experiment.

[...] The WHO's statement doesn't square with previous studies suggesting the virus is highly transmissible by people without symptoms.

Slavitt and others pointed to multiple studies showing asymptomatic spread of the virus.

For example, one study published on June 3 in the Annals of Internal Medicine suggested asymptomatic people seem to account for 40 to 45 percent of SARS-CoV-2 infections and they can transmit the virus to others for an extended period of time.

[...] Another study found 23 percent of transmissions in Shenzhen, China were from asymptomatic people. And a study published in Nature found people shed the virus most when their symptoms are mild.'

https://www.washingt...age%2Fstory-ans

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 09 June 2020 - 04:36 PM

#1520 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 09 June 2020 - 11:39 PM

View PostMalankazooie, on 08 June 2020 - 06:32 PM, said:

Posted Image

What the ever loving fuck...Posted Image. Raise your hand if you think this mixed messaging is dangerous as fuck when, oh I don't know, reporting on a pandemic that can kill you.

Posted Image

Share this topic:

• 174 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users