Malazan Empire: COVID-19 (aka Coronavirus, aka 2019-nCoV) - Malazan Empire

• 174 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

COVID-19 (aka Coronavirus, aka 2019-nCoV)

#1461 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 27 May 2020 - 08:36 AM

Considering plenty of People under the age of 70 have died from this yes, I think Abyss made a fair statement.

Apts comparison to the Spanish flu is apt (heh) in the context of shut downs.

Look at America at the time, I don't have the link at hand for the figures, but essentially one city (possible not Boston?) Candles the massive st Patrick's Day parades etc, another city didn't (or vice versa) and the death toll difference is staggering.

Pretty much everything you posted has been comprehensively debunked yet you ignore it and accuse others of nay saying you because they don't want to hear it.

Put the shoe on the other foot, read the counter arguments to your beliefs, give us a well sourced, peer reviewed put down of it.

Bearing in mind there are people here actively working in this field of science and so will know utter tosh when they see it

#1462 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 27 May 2020 - 08:43 AM

I could also add that the father of one of our young library helpers died of Corona virus over the weekend. He was in his 40s. Does this fit with thy claim that only old people are dying from the virus?

#1463 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 27 May 2020 - 09:11 AM

13 year old lad in the UK died of it, no known history of health issues.

I think what Daser meant to say was "It hasn't affected me so why should I care?"
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#1464 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

• Malazan Yo Yo Champion 2009
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 27 May 2020 - 10:28 AM

View PostAptorian, on 27 May 2020 - 08:43 AM, said:

I could also add that the father of one of our young library helpers died of Corona virus over the weekend. He was in his 40s. Does this fit with thy claim that only old people are dying from the virus?

It's really scary. I had a call from my sons nursery this morning and we have agreed he is going back next week. You can't hide forever even though it feels appealing - especially with the UK death and infection rate being what it is relative to other countries. I will have no idea if we are doing the right thing for our household until we either don't catch it or do and don't die. It is unlikely we will die but not an impossibility. I can't decide how I feel about it all. That is assuming we haven't had it already as I did have minor symptoms early on in lockdown. It seems bonkers and what is right for our household is not necessarily right for society at large. I am flip flopping so badly.

This post has been edited by Mezla PigDog: 27 May 2020 - 10:29 AM

Burn rubber =/= warp speed

#1465 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 27 May 2020 - 11:32 AM

View PostMezla PigDog, on 27 May 2020 - 10:28 AM, said:

View PostAptorian, on 27 May 2020 - 08:43 AM, said:

It's really scary. I had a call from my sons nursery this morning and we have agreed he is going back next week. You can't hide forever even though it feels appealing - especially with the UK death and infection rate being what it is relative to other countries. I will have no idea if we are doing the right thing for our household until we either don't catch it or do and don't die. It is unlikely we will die but not an impossibility. I can't decide how I feel about it all. That is assuming we haven't had it already as I did have minor symptoms early on in lockdown. It seems bonkers and what is right for our household is not necessarily right for society at large. I am flip flopping so badly.

I feel the same way about eventually sending out little ones back into the school/care system. You're definitely not alone. I think it's going to be one of those things where we won't know if we've done the right thing till we've done it and seen what the outcome is. Scary as hell, nonetheless.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#1466 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 27 May 2020 - 03:20 PM

In regards to the "young people aren't dying from COVID-19" idea, the truth is that they are, but it depends on where they are, how they you are, and how good the access to proper healthcare is for them.

In the USA, the southern states have people under 70 dying at rates that are 40% or 50% of the overall numbers. https://www.theatlan...-people/609241/

"The numbers emerging seem to indicate that more young people in the South are dying from COVID-19. Although the majority of coronavirus-related deaths in Louisiana are still among victims over 70 years old, 43 percent of all reported deaths have been people under 70. In Georgia, people under 70 make up 49 percent of reported deaths. By comparison, people under 70 account for only 20 percent of deaths in Colorado. “Under 70” is a broad category, not really useful for understanding what’s going on. But digging deeper reveals more concerning numbers. In Louisiana, people ages 40 to 59 account for 22 percent of all deaths. The same age range in Georgia accounts for 17 percent of all deaths. By comparison, the same age group accounts for only about 10 percent of all deaths in Colorado, and 6 percent of all deaths in Washington State. These statistics suggest that middle-aged and working-age adults in the two southern states are at much greater risk than their counterparts elsewhere; for some reason, they are more likely to die from COVID-19."

Daser talked to some degree about "cronic diseases" or comorbidity in a way that I found to be scary - not because having a comorbidity or chronic disease is an awful thing (they can be sometimes), but rather because Daser was talking about people having disabilities or health conditions in a way that I found to come off as "they are not as valuable as 'normal healthy people under 70'", "they are the only ones who should have to protect themselves or be protected" or "they are less than me or you". That's horrifying language.

By all appearances, I am a normal healthy person in my mid 30s. Tall, strong, exercise regularly, eat well, have access to good healthcare etc. However, in 2013, I developed three pulmonary embolisms that caused a partial lung collapse and some permanent effects on my breathing/stamina. I also have family members that are close to me that are fighting cancer now. We are vulnerable - although less vulnerable due to not having to live tightly packed or travel on mass transportation often. We also think that there are great reasons to protect ourselves and others by agreeing to abide by lockdown protocols, wear masks, clean our bodies and things regularly, and to yell angrily at politicians making choices that take away funding and protections from medical staff and patients and the country at large. We have donated significantly to our local food bank because there are so many people out of work (in the US, the official unemployment rate is about 15% and I think the true numbers are over 20%, maybe even close to 30%) and desperate for food/shelter/PPE. We are trying to do what we can to make this lockdown as safe and tolerable for those who we can.

This is necessary.

My father's entire family above the age of 40 has these scars that are dime to quarter sized on their arms. They're smallpox vaccine scars. My grandparents grew up in a world where 30% of people just died outright from smallpox and many, many survivors were left scarred. My eldest aunt has smallpox scars on her face and she was lucky to get away with only that. This lockdown and dealing with disease is something old and I think we've forgotten how necessary it is to do this right. I carry a small scar on my arm from the BCG (tuberculosis vaccine). It's provided a concrete reminder all my life of the need to protect people this way.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#1467 User is offline   LinearPhilosopher 

• House Knight
  • Interests:Everything.

Posted 27 May 2020 - 04:14 PM

Am i the only one who is annoyed that none of those yahoos in trinity got ticketed? bring in the riot police!

#1468 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 27 May 2020 - 06:39 PM

Or Dorset fucking beach

#1469 User is offline   Daser 

• First Sword

Posted 27 May 2020 - 09:02 PM

I dont know why i have to get numbers when you dont, but ok lets try. Lets take a look at Denmark. they are pretty reliable and have great healthcare, so these numbers are probarly close to correct.

It look alittle scary if you only hear that more than 500 dead of new virus in 2,5 month, but if you look at total deaths the years before it is almost the same, just other diseases.

On a personel note i know more than 20 people who have lost their jobs. 2 who have lost their business. 3 more who are very close too bancrupcy, but i dont know anyone who is dead from corona virus.

Agegroups. Confirmed cases. Deaths.(%) with disease (%) women men
before.Posted Image

#1470 User is offline   Daser 

• First Sword

Posted 27 May 2020 - 09:19 PM

I dont know if this link works, but it should be an article showing the number of dead in Denmark since lockdown started compared to last 2 years.
https://sundhedspoli...ge-dodstal.html

#1471 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 27 May 2020 - 09:34 PM

So, overall death numbers haven't risen in a country that did a lockdown.

This proves what exactly? Serious question

#1472 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 27 May 2020 - 09:35 PM

Also, the I don't know anyone that died from Covid argument doesn't fly. Try walking into some of the town's in Northern Italy and saying that to a local.

Then get punched in the face

#1473 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 27 May 2020 - 09:36 PM

Also, see Sweden with 8 times the death rate.

I feel like this poor horses corpse has had enough, I'm out

#1474 User is offline   Gust Hubb 

• Necromancer Extraordinaire
  • View gallery
  • Interests:Glass slides with entrapped bits of colored tissue
  • Around, just quiet....er

Posted 27 May 2020 - 11:06 PM

http://www.npr.org/s...virus-outbreaks

Good charts from NPR.
"You don't clean u other peoples messes.... You roll in them like a dog on leftover smoked whitefish torn out f the trash by raccoons after Sunday brunch on a hot day."
~Abyss

#1475 User is offline   Cyphon 

• Cagey Bastard of TQB

Posted 28 May 2020 - 09:09 AM

https://www.theguard...ckdown-measures

I wonder what has arrived recently to the Isle of Man to make into an authoritarian lockdown... ;)

This post has been edited by Cyphon: 28 May 2020 - 09:10 AM

Para todos todo, para nosotros nada.

MottI'd always pegged you as more of an Ublala

#1476 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 28 May 2020 - 11:58 AM

Geez Simmo, you work fast. And so effectively!

Nice to see you've lightened up a bit too, leaving some survivors.

That should get the Captain off your back, so you can make those last three days to retirement and get your full pension.
Remember, you're a family man now - gettin' too old for this shit, breaking in all those new young partners.

Looks like this sea change has really worked for you - everything's coming up Simhouse.

;)

This post has been edited by Tsundoku: 28 May 2020 - 12:01 PM

"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#1477 User is offline   Cyphon 

• Cagey Bastard of TQB

Posted 28 May 2020 - 12:38 PM

He cares about results dammit, not the rules!
Para todos todo, para nosotros nada.

MottI'd always pegged you as more of an Ublala

#1478 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 28 May 2020 - 05:14 PM

Okay, not sure if this is paranoia on my part or not, but I've seen, on a number of occasions, expensive Mercedes vans driving around my city, either all black or all white, completly tinted windshield and driver/passenger windows (no other windows than those). No distinguishing markings except on the back left-side door they all have this peculiar flaming Phoenix in a circle decal. I always try to stay ever vigilant about my surroundings, especially during these times, and damn but this has got the conspiracy gears turning. Any one else see these vans in your parts? What could it be?

#1479 User is offline   Daser 

• First Sword

Posted 28 May 2020 - 05:24 PM

Getting some other info than main news can be hard, so here is another little youtube favorite of mine.

https://www.youtube...._3fU9loQ/videos

Lots of good info and interveiws if you have some spare time while being in lockdown. i suggest starting with the swedish professor on 25 april and work you way forward from there.

#1480 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 28 May 2020 - 06:16 PM

View PostDaser, on 28 May 2020 - 05:24 PM, said:

Getting some other info than main news can be hard, so here is another little youtube favorite of mine.

https://www.youtube...._3fU9loQ/videos

Lots of good info and interveiws if you have some spare time while being in lockdown. i suggest starting with the swedish professor on 25 april and work you way forward from there.

You just cant trust the free mainstream press of the US, UK, South Africa, Europe, Japan, Australia! Especially when they all agree.

Edit- In 4 months the US has experienced over 100k deaths from a new disease, while a giant and unprecedented lockdown was in place. Its not over, how bad would it be with no lockdown? Also even if the movies and bars open up again, and I know people will go, but there are thosuands who wont. Sweden's economy since you like to mention them has still collapsed even thought they left things open.

This post has been edited by Cause: 28 May 2020 - 06:19 PM

Share this topic:

• 174 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users