Malazan Empire: It's been a while - Malazan Empire

• 5 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

It's been a while (for anyone that remembers)

#21 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 30 April 2019 - 07:41 PM

Glad to hear things are going well for you!
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#22 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

• Malazan Yo Yo Champion 2009
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 30 April 2019 - 07:41 PM

Wotcha, Gem.
Burn rubber =/= warp speed

#23 User is offline   Gem Windcaster 

• Bequeathed Overmind
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 30 April 2019 - 07:53 PM

View PostIlluyankas, on 30 April 2019 - 07:41 PM, said:

Glad to hear things are going well for you!

Thanks, I hope you're doing good aswell. :apt2:

View PostMezla PigDog, on 30 April 2019 - 07:41 PM, said:

Wotcha, Gem.

Hay Mezla, what's cooking?
_ In the dark I play the night, like a tune vividly fright_
So light it blows, at lark it goes _
invisible indifferent sight_

#24 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 01 May 2019 - 04:02 AM

View PostGem Windcaster, on 30 April 2019 - 01:46 PM, said:

View PostD, on 30 April 2019 - 03:56 AM, said:

View PostGem Windcaster, on 30 April 2019 - 03:38 AM, said:

I didn't even know Hetan had taken over - I don't think she owned it back when I left. How did that happen? Doesn't matter.

Whaaat, no way, you were definitely still around - or at least dropping in for visits semi-frequently - after Hetan & Mal took over from Anomander. Now they live in/run a lovely bed and breakfast in British Columbia.

Well I remember her being a mod at least - maybe I wasn't following that kind of information back then, I wasn't as active as you say. Lovely to hear they're doing good though.

View PostD, on 30 April 2019 - 03:56 AM, said:

Look for Eclipse and Twilight Imperium in the Games sub-forum :)

Thanks, I will.

How have you been btw?

I'm good, thanks for asking! I'd have still been either in high school or early college last time you were around... now I'm an adult with a job and everything, and this whole responsibility thing is terrifying but the independence is amaaazing. I think about moving a lot, though. I'm still/back in my little northern town (well, technically a slightly different northern town down the road from my previous northern town, but no one who isn't from around here would know the difference), and it's not thaaat bad. It's not that far a drive to get to some slightly more populated places for better socializing and everyone around here is used to that, and I'm making good money plus it's cheap as heck to live up here so I can put lots away for trips and whatnot. Plus I'm a shut-in most of the time anyway, being anywhere else wouldn't likely be any different so long as I have internet! But my thoughts perpetually drift back to it a lot anyway... I don't feel unhappy, but I keep thinking about it nonetheless. Like I said, adulthood is terrifying, isn't it? :apt2:

Hmmm, let's see, what else happened around here in the last decade(ish)...

Cerveza went helicopter skiing down a mountain.
Abyss gave me bad sandwich advice and refused to own up to it.
Teholbeddict hosted (and won?) a drinking contest that ended as vomitastically as you'd expect.
There was a couple more British Malaz meetups, and even a USA meetup in Chicago IIRC.
Studlock bought a bar (it didn't last long).
Caladan Brood had a really melodramatic departure from the forum.
Tatterdemalion wrote an actual fantasy book and got actual published.
Darkwatch tried to make a "flirting thread" happen, and was never seen again.
Someone had the hilarious idea to make Apt a mod and then balked at Apt implementing all of the Apt ideas that Apt said he would implement if made a mod... he was soon demoted, er, stepped down.
We did a weird writing contest thing where we wrote deathmatches between fictional characters (very well worth digging this up somewhere in the Games sub-forum for Illy/Tapper/DiBs/Morgoth's sections... just skip over mine okay? :embarassed:).

Of course, Macros' hands are still enormous. Some things never change.

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#25 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 01 May 2019 - 04:07 AM

Whoah, whoah, Mod Apt was a victim of fake news orchestrated by the deep forum elites.

#26 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 01 May 2019 - 07:51 AM

An Overmind, eh?

It's finally time to show them Protoss what's what.
Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#27 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 01 May 2019 - 12:12 PM

Gem, I give you two weeks before our insanity drives you away again, lol.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#28 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 01 May 2019 - 02:24 PM

View PostD, on 01 May 2019 - 04:02 AM, said:

Abyss gave me glorious dining advice that utterly saved my otherwise boring roadtrip from dismal mediocrity. I still have to send him copious amounts of cash, baked goods, and/or alcohol as thanks

ftfy.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#29 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 01 May 2019 - 02:28 PM

But you didn't follow his instructions about said sandwich, and ended up with a less than perfect version of the recommendation as a result. :apt2:

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 01 May 2019 - 02:28 PM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#30 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 01 May 2019 - 02:44 PM

that too!

#31 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 01 May 2019 - 02:47 PM

View PostAbyss, on 01 May 2019 - 02:44 PM, said:

that too!

Great, now I wanna go to St. Lawrence Mrkt to grab one this weekend. LOL I'm trying to eat better here Abyss!
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#32 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 01 May 2019 - 03:19 PM

View PostAbyss, on 01 May 2019 - 02:24 PM, said:

Abyss gave me glorious dining advice that utterly saved my otherwise boring roadtrip from dismal mediocrity. I still have to send him copious amounts of cash, baked goods, and/or alcohol as thanks

ftfy.

Yes, that did also happen independently of sandwichgate, and it was indeed glorious. And I did send you thanks, didn't you get the crate of whiskey I dropped off at the cat shelter?!

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#33 User is offline   Gem Windcaster 

• Bequeathed Overmind

Posted 01 May 2019 - 04:15 PM

View PostGem Windcaster, on 30 April 2019 - 01:46 PM, said:

Thanks, I will. How have you been btw?
I'm good, thanks for asking! I'd have still been either in high school or early college last time you were around... now I'm an adult with a job and everything, and this whole responsibility thing is terrifying but the independence is amaaazing. I think about moving a lot, though. I'm still/back in my little northern town (well, technically a slightly different northern town down the road from my previous northern town, but no one who isn't from around here would know the difference), and it's not thaaat bad. It's not that far a drive to get to some slightly more populated places for better socializing and everyone around here is used to that, and I'm making good money plus it's cheap as heck to live up here so I can put lots away for trips and whatnot. Plus I'm a shut-in most of the time anyway, being anywhere else wouldn't likely be any different so long as I have internet! But my thoughts perpetually drift back to it a lot anyway... I don't feel unhappy, but I keep thinking about it nonetheless. Like I said, adulthood is terrifying, isn't it? ^_^Hmmm, let's see, what else happened around here in the last decade(ish)...Cerveza went helicopter skiing down a mountain. Abyss gave me bad sandwich advice and refused to own up to it. Teholbeddict hosted (and won?) a drinking contest that ended as vomitastically as you'd expect. There was a couple more British Malaz meetups, and even a USA meetup in Chicago IIRC. Studlock bought a bar (it didn't last long). Caladan Brood had a really melodramatic departure from the forum. Tatterdemalion wrote an actual fantasy book and got actual published. Darkwatch tried to make a "flirting thread" happen, and was never seen again. Someone had the hilarious idea to make Apt a mod and then balked at Apt implementing all of the Apt ideas that Apt said he would implement if made a mod... he was soon demoted, er, stepped down. We did a weird writing contest thing where we wrote deathmatches between fictional characters (very well worth digging this up somewhere in the Games sub-forum for Illy/Tapper/DiBs/Morgoth's sections... just skip over mine okay? :embarassed:).Of course, Macros' hands are still enormous. Some things never change.

Thanks for catching me up - it honestly sounds epic, all of it. Yes, Internet is pretty nice to have - although I love going on trips and don't bother with it during that time, to kind of decompress from all of it - but when I get back home I'm addicted to it again. :) Being adult can be pretty badass though - as long as you keep your childlike curiosity and joy alive.

View PostAptorian, on 01 May 2019 - 04:07 AM, said:

Whoah, whoah, Mod Apt was a victim of fake news orchestrated by the deep forum elites.

I feel ya brother. Fight the power!

View PostMaark Abbott, on 01 May 2019 - 07:51 AM, said:

An Overmind, eh?It's finally time to show them Protoss what's what.

Fun fact: my brothers used to call me Overmind - can't imagine why.

View PostHoosierDaddy, on 01 May 2019 - 12:12 PM, said:

Gem, I give you two weeks before our insanity drives you away again, lol.

Or possibly I'm the antivenom to your insanity. Or inoculation. Depending on how far gone you are. :apt2:

#34 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 01 May 2019 - 04:16 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 01 May 2019 - 02:47 PM, said:

View PostAbyss, on 01 May 2019 - 02:44 PM, said:

that too!

Great, now I wanna go to St. Lawrence Mrkt to grab one this weekend. LOL I'm trying to eat better here Abyss!

You're welcome.

And try to avoid the brownie counter on your way out.

View PostD, on 01 May 2019 - 03:19 PM, said:

View PostAbyss, on 01 May 2019 - 02:24 PM, said:

ftfy.

Yes, that did also happen independently of sandwichgate, and it was indeed glorious. And I did send you thanks, didn't you get the crate of whiskey I dropped off at the cat shelter?!

Cat shelter???

...you were supposed to drop it at the Cat Cafe/Cigar Lounge!

#35 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 01 May 2019 - 05:34 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 01 May 2019 - 02:28 PM, said:

But you didn't follow his instructions about said sandwich, and ended up with a less than perfect version of the recommendation as a result. :apt2:

Yeah! The people on this forum whom don't follow eating instructions when they're abroad should be severely punished.
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#36 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 01 May 2019 - 05:39 PM

View PostMorgoth, on 01 May 2019 - 05:34 PM, said:

View PostQuickTidal, on 01 May 2019 - 02:28 PM, said:

But you didn't follow his instructions about said sandwich, and ended up with a less than perfect version of the recommendation as a result. :)

Yeah! The people on this forum whom don't follow eating instructions when they're abroad should be severely punished.

Nah, it just means that if you're gonna get yourself a (famous) back bacon sammie from the St. Lawrence Market, you needs to do it up right, otherwise it's going to disappoint. :p

But then I ate at $16 Potato Skins at a TGIFridays in your city, so I'm not sure how much of an authority I can be, food wise, either. :apt2:

#37 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus

Posted 01 May 2019 - 05:47 PM

It's been a weird ten years all in all. When I joined back in 2002 I was in high school. Since then I've gone to uni, finished my law degree, got married, divorced, changed jobs, bought an apartment, changed jobs again and found a new and improved girlfriend. This forum has been an important part of my life for so long it's hard to fully quantify it. It's been enjoyable to follow the friends I've made here and see what's become of them. Most have grown up and built surprisingly adult lives for themselves. Like Tiste Simeone. Who would have thought he'd be a functioning adult? He has a wife now, and a child. A child!

Vengeance has bought a house and spawned two children. Two! Macros seems to be a successful professional within his field. Malaclypse not only convinced Hetan that they should be married, he got her to move to Canada with him (a good choice for them I think, but I miss having them both within easy travel distance).

There's so much that has been happening with people here, and still they stick around to be friends and share their lives with the rest of us.

#38 User is offline   Gem Windcaster 

• Bequeathed Overmind

Posted 01 May 2019 - 05:54 PM

View PostMorgoth, on 01 May 2019 - 05:47 PM, said:

It's been a weird ten years all in all. When I joined back in 2002 I was in high school. Since then I've gone to uni, finished my law degree, got married, divorced, changed jobs, bought an apartment, changed jobs again and found a new and improved girlfriend. This forum has been an important part of my life for so long it's hard to fully quantify it. It's been enjoyable to follow the friends I've made here and see what's become of them. Most have grown up and built surprisingly adult lives for themselves. Like Tiste Simeone. Who would have thought he'd be a functioning adult? He has a wife now, and a child. A child!

Vengeance has bought a house and spawned two children. Two! Macros seems to be a successful professional within his field. Malaclypse not only convinced Hetan that they should be married, he got her to move to Canada with him (a good choice for them I think, but I miss having them both within easy travel distance).

There's so much that has been happening with people here, and still they stick around to be friends and share their lives with the rest of us.

yes, it's been a joy of following Tiste's journey (we're facebook friends)- even though I left, I never forgot about you guys. I'm happy there's a community here that is still going. Life can be wondrous and weird all at once.

#39 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus

Posted 01 May 2019 - 06:02 PM

So what has been going on with you for these last ten years?

#40 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 01 May 2019 - 06:20 PM

View PostMorgoth, on 01 May 2019 - 05:47 PM, said:

If it makes you feel better the first beer i ordered on my first trip to Ireland was a Coors Light.

I panicked!
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

Share this topic:

• 5 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users