• « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Avengers: Endgame (spoiler topic)

#61 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

• Malazan Yo Yo Champion 2009
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 02 May 2019 - 10:24 PM

I saw it. I liked it but large parts felt like a collection of sketches to please the fans rather than a coherent movie. Like the bit in Thor's house. I mean I was totally laughing but they could have slimmed it down by cutting some bits like that.

And fat Thor was totally unnecessary. He can be a broken man and still smokin hot, surely. He's a frickin God.

The bit with the Avengette's was super (and cheesy but worth it) but I felt so sad that Black Widow wasn't there too, even though her face bugs me.

I cried at the end. Rest in pieces Iron Man.

Were there Easter Eggs? I couldn't be bothered giving any more of my precious time over to waiting.
Burn rubber =/= warp speed

#62 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 03 May 2019 - 07:40 AM

View PostMezla PigDog, on 02 May 2019 - 10:24 PM, said:

I saw it. I liked it but large parts felt like a collection of sketches to please the fans rather than a coherent movie. Like the bit in Thor's house. I mean I was totally laughing but they could have slimmed it down by cutting some bits like that.

And fat Thor was totally unnecessary. He can be a broken man and still smokin hot, surely. He's a frickin God.

The bit with the Avengette's was super (and cheesy but worth it) but I felt so sad that Black Widow wasn't there too, even though her face bugs me.

I cried at the end. Rest in pieces Iron Man.

Were there Easter Eggs? I couldn't be bothered giving any more of my precious time over to waiting.

I think Fat Thor was a thing primarily to show that Thor had just entirely given up on everything and it was easier to wallow in alcoholism than accept his failure and move on from it.

The main easter egg I picked up on was Cap's 'Hail Hydra' when he nicks the Tesseract case.
Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#63 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 03 May 2019 - 12:18 PM

If you mean after-credit clips, there weren't any. so you didn't miss a thing.
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#64 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 03 May 2019 - 01:05 PM

The bit with the Avengette's was super (and cheesy but worth it) but I felt so sad that Black Widow wasn't there too,

That's the A-Force. And The line about "She's got help" is a callback to "She's not alone" from INFINITY WAR and so that sequence feels like it was a "For Nat" moment. I loved it too, cheesy as it seemed.

View PostMaark Abbott, on 03 May 2019 - 07:40 AM, said:

I think Fat Thor was a thing primarily to show that Thor had just entirely given up on everything and it was easier to wallow in alcoholism than accept his failure and move on from it.

100%. It was also to combat the "Hot Thor" concept with a frumpier, but still awesome version.

The main easter egg I picked up on was Cap's 'Hail Hydra' when he nicks the Tesseract case.

The great thing about that, other than mirroring one of the BEST scenes in the MCU (Elevator fight in CAP 2), is that it pays homage to a recent and controversial Cap storyline in the comics where he basically becomes/has always been a Hydra agent and that line is said at the end of the first issue and everyone lost their minds about it.

View PostGorefest, on 03 May 2019 - 12:18 PM, said:

If you mean after-credit clips, there weren't any. so you didn't miss a thing.

It was the sound of the hammer striking metal from when Tony made the Mark I Iron Man suit in the first film. It was meant instead of teasing the future to hearken to where they came from by celebrating the Avenger who graced our screens first in the MCU.

But yes, nothing about the future. Look to SPIDER-MAN: FAR FROM HOME to start that ball inching towards what's to come; AKA The Celestials, Galactus, The Eternals, ect.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 03 May 2019 - 01:06 PM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#65 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

• Malazan Yo Yo Champion 2009
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 03 May 2019 - 01:46 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 03 May 2019 - 01:05 PM, said:

100%. It was also to combat the "Hot Thor" concept with a frumpier, but still awesome version.

Yeah no shit, but I'm guessing 0% of your ticket fee and investment in the Marvel franchise was devoted towards the pursuit of ogling hot Thor. So I'm feeling short changed! If we're having fat Thor then we need Fat Nat. That scene where Hawkeye dropped her could have been a whole lot different.
Burn rubber =/= warp speed

#66 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 03 May 2019 - 01:47 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 03 May 2019 - 01:05 PM, said:

But yes, nothing about the future. Look to SPIDER-MAN: FAR FROM HOME to start that ball inching towards what's to come; AKA The Celestials, Galactus, The Eternals, ect.

Or just a hilarious post-credits Deadpool cameo

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#67 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 03 May 2019 - 01:58 PM

View PostGem Windcaster, on 30 April 2019 - 05:57 PM, said:

View PostQuickTidal, on 30 April 2019 - 05:01 PM, said:

Also, I'm trying to decide what's a better T-shirt to get: "I love you 3000" or "On Your Left"

Why not both? 'I love you 3k' on the front and 'on your left' on the back - for people to see when you run ahead of them in the park. :apt2:

Would buy.

Fun fact, the 3000 thing is an actual endearment RDJ's real life daughter says to him. He mentioned it in an unrelated conversation and someone wrote it in.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#68 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 03 May 2019 - 02:42 PM

Missed opportunity though. He should have said in his goodbye recording 'I love you 3001' and then he would have won.
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#69 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 03 May 2019 - 02:54 PM

View PostAbyss, on 03 May 2019 - 01:58 PM, said:

View PostGem Windcaster, on 30 April 2019 - 05:57 PM, said:

View PostQuickTidal, on 30 April 2019 - 05:01 PM, said:

Also, I'm trying to decide what's a better T-shirt to get: "I love you 3000" or "On Your Left"

Why not both? 'I love you 3k' on the front and 'on your left' on the back - for people to see when you run ahead of them in the park. :apt2:

Would buy.

Fun fact, the 3000 thing is an actual endearment RDJ's real life daughter says to him. He mentioned it in an unrelated conversation and someone wrote it in.

Awwww, cool!

I also love that the dialogue is written very specifically.

Tony tells Morgan that he loves her Tonnes (as in plural, 2 tonnes bare minimum) that would be 2000kg...by saying 3000 she's saying she loves him "more". It's such a sweet and perfect moment. It will live on as an MCU meme for years to come.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#70 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 05 May 2019 - 10:31 AM

https://www.thewrap....t-peggy-carter/

Does the time travel make sense according to even their own rules? They brush past the rules so fast that I think they don't actually want us to think about it too hard but I was confused by what was happening. The movie is fast paced and entertaining enough that you just go with it but. Afterwards....

#71 User is offline   D'rek 

Posted 06 May 2019 - 01:05 AM

View PostCause, on 05 May 2019 - 10:31 AM, said:

https://www.thewrap....t-peggy-carter/

Does the time travel make sense according to even their own rules? They brush past the rules so fast that I think they don't actually want us to think about it too hard but I was confused by what was happening. The movie is fast paced and entertaining enough that you just go with it but. Afterwards....

My interpretation would be that the timeline only "splits" if it has to - since the other characters and himself never learned he did this until after he went back in time, it didn't stop him from going back in time so there's no paradox or split. If he had done anything in the past to stop himself from going back, it would have. Same for them stealing the stones.

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#72 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 06 May 2019 - 07:11 AM

Don't overthink it, they have people turning into green giants after being exposed to a lethal dose of radiation (instead of eating their veg) and mythological gods with anxiety issues. Their time travel mechanics are still way more thought through than 95% of time travel movies out there. I dont even think cap actually breaks the rules at all. The only thing where for me it really falls down is the returning of the stones in their original setting (tesseract, etc). But hey, that happens off-screen and cap is a very inventive guy and basically has all the time (and space) in the world to do it in. And he has the infinity stones themselves so he can probably shape reality using one of them to make it happen. It fits good enough to make it bloody clever and convincing.

#73 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 06 May 2019 - 08:27 AM

It bugs me because they dropped the ball in the final moments. The only real way to put the stones exactly back when they took them would have been to use a snap of the infinity gauntlet. I thought that was what hulk was implying when he told the ancient one.

I have since seen that the writers and the directors are in fact giving contradictory accounts of what happned. The directors say cap created a split timeline, the writers are saying he didn't. If they cant agree no one can,

#74 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 06 May 2019 - 01:26 PM

New SPIDER-MAN FAR FROM HOME trailer confirms that The Snaps/Infinity Stones in Endgame created the Multiverse, as Mysterio is not from our universe. Cooooooooool.

This solves the X-Men problem from above, they can just be from another earth where their whole history occurred as we know it! And to be honest, they can do the FF this way too.

And what a Reed Richards style of problem top have to boot....The Infinity Gauntlet/Stones being used 3 times has created a rift in the multiverse accidentally bridging them...you can now bring in Doom, Galactus, The Eternals, The Celestials, X-Men and everyone else into this...and aim it all towards Secret Wars as the next big Endgame-type flick. This is amazing.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 06 May 2019 - 01:45 PM

#75 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 06 May 2019 - 02:01 PM

I'm thinking we get an Avengers re-intro, possibly towards a SECRET WARS type thing, then they reintro the FF towards a Galactus finale, and THEN re-intro the X-Men towards an AvX storyline, by which point sufficient time will have past to re-cast all the key Avenger and X-Men people.

Why blow your wad in the first decade when you can basically sleep happy in warm moneys baths for the next half-century.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#76 User is offline   D'rek 

Posted 06 May 2019 - 02:08 PM

Unless Mysterio is pulling everyone's leg about the multi-verse, too. He would, wouldn't he? :apt2:

#77 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 06 May 2019 - 02:10 PM

View PostAbyss, on 06 May 2019 - 02:01 PM, said:

I'm thinking we get an Avengers re-intro, possibly towards a SECRET WARS type thing, then they reintro the FF towards a Galactus finale, and THEN re-intro the X-Men towards an AvX storyline, by which point sufficient time will have past to re-cast all the key Avenger and X-Men people.

Why blow your wad in the first decade when you can basically sleep happy in warm moneys baths for the next half-century.

Adapt Hickman's FF for the standalone FF films right...then use the doorway (you know the doorway...) in the story to bridge to the main universe...perhaps even tie in Johnny's death/not death (which could fall at the end of like the middle FF film) to our universe. Like the threat he fights, The Swarm or whatever, he is able to escape from/defeat and the arena storyline can be...dun dun dun...Sakkar from Ragnarok, just run by someone other than the Grandmaster. And who finds him there? The GOTG+ Thor. Then you can have a 3rd FF movie being also a GOTG movie, and bring in the rest of the FF from the alt universe. Johnny reunites, and Reed tells them that the doorways became a larger threat than he realized.

#78 User is offline   JPK 

• Lemming of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Sacrificing myself for everyone else's greater good!

Posted 10 May 2019 - 04:00 AM

So I have one huge question from the film due to time travel shenanigans. Loki escaped with the Tesseract, do you think this is why it was in his possession when he died in IW, or is this a huge timey-wimey knot left unchecked?

#79 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 10 May 2019 - 04:14 AM

Maybe. Or maybe it just created a different timeline.

#80 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 10 May 2019 - 08:11 AM

He had it in his possession in IW because he stole it from the vaults of Asgard when he was depositing Surtur's skull into the Eternal Flame, nothing knotty about that.
I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you.

Share this topic:

• 6 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users