• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Avengers: Endgame (spoiler topic)

#21 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• My pen halts, though I do not
  • View gallery
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 28 April 2019 - 04:12 AM

Putting the Stones back wasn't to stop a paradox. There's no time travel paradoxes in this universe. As the Ancient One explained, the Stones protect the entire timeline, so stealing them from her timeline wouldn't affect the Avengers' timeline, but it would eff up hers completely, so the solution was to just "borrow" them and bring them back to the same moment they were removed.

Loved it loved it loved it. I truly thought Thanos was gonna just cleave Cap in half when we weren't expecting it during that one-on-one fight, but then "On your left!" and then the biggest splash page in cinema history and then "Avengers...ASSEMBLE." Holee shit, man.

As far as the acting goes, I thought RDJ was absolutely phenomenal, especially having his PTSD moment(s) after being rescued.

Funny thing: I prefer Captain Marvel's long-haired look in the comics, but I absolutely loved the short-haired version we got here.
"Here is light. You will say that it is not a living entity, but you miss the point that it is more, not less. Without occupying space, it fills the universe. It nourishes everything, yet itself feeds upon destruction. We claim to control it, but does it not perhaps cultivate us as a source of food? May it not be that all wood grows so that it can be set ablaze, and that men and women are born to kindle fires?"
―Gene Wolfe, The Citadel of the Autarch

#22 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 28 April 2019 - 05:58 AM

She has short hair in some of the comics as well.
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#23 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight

Posted 28 April 2019 - 06:50 PM

Every bit as good as I hoped for.

"On your left" and then the swell of the music as everyone returns may be my favourite moment in any of the Marvel films, got a huge whoop in the cinema. Also really enjoyed the "She's got help" girl squad moment for Captain Marvel towards the end.

I had predicted it would be Cap or Iron Man who died, and I had always said that Iron Man would be more emotional. My god, I was right. I don't think there was a dry eye in the screen. Black Widow surprised me as well. RJD knocks it out of the park acting throughout, but I thought Gwyneth Paltrow did a wonderful job with her limited screen time as well, particularly at the end.
- Wyrd biđ ful aræd -

#24 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• View gallery

Posted 28 April 2019 - 06:56 PM

View PostGorefest, on 28 April 2019 - 05:58 AM, said:

I know. What I tried to get at was: in the comics, I prefer her with long hair. But in the movies, I actually like the short hair better.
"Here is light. You will say that it is not a living entity, but you miss the point that it is more, not less. Without occupying space, it fills the universe. It nourishes everything, yet itself feeds upon destruction. We claim to control it, but does it not perhaps cultivate us as a source of food? May it not be that all wood grows so that it can be set ablaze, and that men and women are born to kindle fires?"

#25 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 29 April 2019 - 07:43 AM

View PostSalt-Man Z, on 28 April 2019 - 06:56 PM, said:

View PostGorefest, on 28 April 2019 - 05:58 AM, said:

I know. What I tried to get at was: in the comics, I prefer her with long hair. But in the movies, I actually like the short hair better.

I just referred to her as Cora because fucking hell did she ever look like your OP squaddie from ME: Andromeda.
Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#26 User is offline   Andorion 

• God
  • Interests:All things Malazan, sundry sci-fi and fantasy, history, Iron Maiden

Posted 29 April 2019 - 08:14 AM

I loved this movie. I have been an unabashed Marvel fan from Day 1 and this movie rewarded that heavily.

I think Captain America got the best possible ending. It was the one thing he had never had, his great tragedy which he never referred to, and that was redeemed.

Tony's end was made a thousand times more poignant because of how happy he was in the beginning. He was the opposite of Hawkeye. He gained so much in the time gap. And yet, because he was Iron Man, he could not sit back.

I am the saddest over Black Widow. I have been a Widow fan from Iron Man 2, and I think she deserved a solo movie far before this. Her role in Winter Soldier was excellent. Looked at logically, her sacrifice made the most sense - she had her own life to lose, while Clint had a family to gain. But I cannot help thinking that she was the only Avenger who did not know that they won. She died hoping. And I think the end of the movie should have acknowledged that.

Loved Thor's arc in this, and if he does team up with the Guardians, he is going to be awesome.

Captain America wielding Mjolnir will go down as one of the best moments of the franchise. I also think DC has a lot to learn here. This is how you handle a Captain America/Superman character. Not that mess they made.

I loved Captain Marvel's entrance - "something has entered the upper atmosphere" and all the guns switched targets. Its as if she is not just a person, she is a force of nature, an army in her own right. It's the response Godzilla would evoke from the US Army.

#27 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight

Posted 29 April 2019 - 09:27 AM

View PostAbyss, on 27 April 2019 - 05:34 PM, said:

LadyVengers was ridiculously contrived and I loved every vague CGI'd second of it.

A million times this.

Also, now I've digested it a bit, I think my favourite part was the fact Cap got to go back and have his "second chance" and a life with Agent Carter. That was really beautiful.

This post has been edited by TheRetiredBridgeburner: 29 April 2019 - 09:27 AM

- Wyrd biđ ful aræd -

#28 User is offline   Khellendros 

• Saboteur of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 29 April 2019 - 01:49 PM

I know I shouldn’t get hung up on the details (and I did really enjoy the film), but doesn’t Thor taking the hammer mean past Thor no longer has a hammer?

They were all about putting the stones back so that no alternate timelines are created, but that was something they didn’t ‘put back’.

Obviously there’s a hundred more time travel-based questions, but that was just the one that stayed with me.
"I think I've made a terrible error of judgement."

#29 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 29 April 2019 - 02:09 PM

I get quite emotional for "triumph" moments...and the "On your left" entrance was so incredibly great that I had tears streaming down my face. I'm not ashamed of this. It was epic AF.

Even better is that Cap, Tony, and Thor gave HARD at Thanos even though they were outmatched before everyone showed up...and then to make matters better, after everyone shows up the Russo's successfully gave EVERYONE shit to do during the battle, screen time, and all asunder else. That was a fucking comic book EVENT come to glorious life.

I loved love loved the fact that as Tony was dying (before Rescue/Pepper showed up), that it was Peter/Spiderman in a reversal of their moment from Infinity War "Mr. Stark, Mr. Stark..." and Peter begins to weep....fuck me that destroyed me. I've said before that the casting of Tom Holland was a masterstroke. That kid can ACT!

Cap finally getting his dance was perfection.

The hammer moment elicited LOUD ass cheers and clapping in our theatre. SO amazing.

So Feige said that SPIDER-MAN: FAR FROM HOME will finish out Phase 3 proper (I expect this means that the post-credits on that MIGHT feature a nod to what's about to come in Phase 4), as a kind of post-script for Phase 1-3 as an arc.

What comes next? I expect aside from the films we know about (Black Panther 2, Black Widow, GOTG3 feat. Thor!)...that we will get the Fantastic Four introduced into the MCU, and thus Doctor Doom and LIKELY Galactus as the next big bad? Can we expect we will head towards SECRET WARS or some such? I expect the X-Men, but I think they are Phase 5 and not Phase 4. I think we will also get another Cap movie, but now with Anthony Mackie playing the character (which should be hype!), and I would say the Avengers will be lead by Black Panther for the next few phases.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#30 User is offline   champ 

• Omnipotent Overseer of the Universe

Posted 29 April 2019 - 02:29 PM

View PostKhellendros, on 29 April 2019 - 01:49 PM, said:

I know I shouldn't get hung up on the details (and I did really enjoy the film), but doesn't Thor taking the hammer mean past Thor no longer has a hammer?

They were all about putting the stones back so that no alternate timelines are created, but that was something they didn't 'put back'.

Obviously there's a hundred more time travel-based questions, but that was just the one that stayed with me.

Cap has the hammer with him when he travels back to drop the stones off IIRC.

Tehol said:

'Yet my heart breaks for a naked hen.'

#31 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 29 April 2019 - 02:30 PM

View PostKhellendros, on 29 April 2019 - 01:49 PM, said:

I know I shouldn't get hung up on the details (and I did really enjoy the film), but doesn't Thor taking the hammer mean past Thor no longer has a hammer?

They were all about putting the stones back so that no alternate timelines are created, but that was something they didn't 'put back'.

Obviously there's a hundred more time travel-based questions, but that was just the one that stayed with me.

Cap time travelled back to Asgard. Probably left the hammer there.

Also its Mjolnir. Doesn't matter where he has kept it, all Thor has to do is raise his hand.

#32 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 29 April 2019 - 02:31 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 29 April 2019 - 02:09 PM, said:

I get quite emotional for "triumph" moments...and the "On your left" entrance was so incredibly great that I had tears streaming down my face. I'm not ashamed of this. It was epic AF.

Even better is that Cap, Tony, and Thor gave HARD at Thanos even though they were outmatched before everyone showed up...and then to make matters better, after everyone shows up the Russo's successfully gave EVERYONE shit to do during the battle, screen time, and all asunder else. That was a fucking comic book EVENT come to glorious life.

I loved love loved the fact that as Tony was dying (before Rescue/Pepper showed up), that it was Peter/Spiderman in a reversal of their moment from Infinity War "Mr. Stark, Mr. Stark..." and Peter begins to weep....fuck me that destroyed me. I've said before that the casting of Tom Holland was a masterstroke. That kid can ACT!

The hammer moment elicited LOUD ass cheers and clapping in our theatre. SO amazing.

So Feige said that SPIDER-MAN: FAR FROM HOME will finish out Phase 3 proper (I expect this means that the post-credits on that MIGHT feature a nod to what's about to come in Phase 4), as a kind of post-script for Phase 1-3 as an arc.

What comes next? I expect aside from the films we know about (Black Panther 2, Black Widow, GOTG3 feat. Thor!)...that we will get the Fantastic Four introduced into the MCU, and thus Doctor Doom and LIKELY Galactus as the next big bad? Can we expect we will head towards SECRET WARS or some such? I expect the X-Men, but I think they are Phase 5 and not Phase 4. I think we will also get another Cap movie, but now with Anthony Mackie playing the character (which should be hype!), and I would say the Avengers will be lead by Black Panther for the next few phases.

That on your left moment was the greatest widescreen shot I have ever seen. It gave me goosebumps.

#33 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 29 April 2019 - 03:17 PM

View PostAndorion, on 29 April 2019 - 02:31 PM, said:

That on your left moment was the greatest widescreen shot I have ever seen. It gave me goosebumps.

100%. I want to see the movie many more times, but I think it's that moment I'll watch over and over!
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#34 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 29 April 2019 - 03:30 PM

Waiting for the crowds to die down a bit, then I'm going to watch it in 4DX.
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#35 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 29 April 2019 - 04:53 PM

This might be weird, but I hope the X-Men don't show up at all until, like, Phase 7. We've got a lot of characters leftover from the first saga, many of whom only really got their introduction and not much else. And I don't want to see the mutants added to the MCU with just a handwavey "oh, they've always been a thing we never mentioned before" retcon (I really liked adding the Shield/Hydra guys into the time travel bits of Endgame as if they'd already been conceived back in Avengers 1... but that won't work for mutants unless we time travel again and please let's not).

I'd go with something like:

Phase 4 >> mostly all the solo films they've been building up to already: Black Panther 2, the Black Widow prequel, GotG 3 w/ Adam Warlock, Doctor Strange 2 w/Mordo, something with Valkyrie perhaps? Basically, take the time to wrap up loose ends so you have some breathing room, establish who is and isn't relevant post-Endgame and then the mash-up at the end of phase 4 showcases the new "core" team (IMO: Black Panther, Spiderman, Falcomerica, Scarlet Witch are the new core avengers team + Antman and Wasp occasionally drop in. Capt Marvel and Doctor Strange mostly are off doing their own side things and don't interact with the team much. Hulk and Warmachine are effectively retired but sometimes consult or perhaps coordinate. Thor, Bucky, and Hawkeye are totally retired and are basically never seen again. I dunno about Valkyrie).

For bonus points, introduce the un-superpowered Fantastic Four in the end-of-Phase 4 mash-up movie. We hardly need a dedicated origin movie for them, so combine it with the Phase 4 Avengers movie. Have the Fantastic Four's science mumbojumbo going wrong be wrapped up in the plot somehow, and the wait it all goes down both {a} gives the Fantastic Four their superpowers, and {b} sets up the second saga's final big bad, be that Doctor Doom or Galactus or Egghead, or whatever.

Phase 5 >> then start out Phase 5 with a solo Fantastic Four movie where they are already somewhat accustomed to their powers, but there's more development to be had, establishing all their character dynamics and motivations and whatnot. Rest of phase 5 is other projects that couldn't be gotten to in phase 4, and introducing a couple more non-core solo characters (similar to how GotG and Ant-man were started in phase 1 and not quite core but not quite secondary characters/storylines).

Phase 6 >> Follow-through from Phase 5, more setup for the future, and have the final big bad create the mutants. E.g. if it's Doctor Doom have him trying to create a bio-agent that will reshape humanity in his image, Avengers + F4 + et al try to stop him and they do but it goes haywire and starts stealthily turning people around the world into mutants.

Phase 7 >> Go full ham on mutants and building up the X-Men

That seems pretty stretched out, I guess, but it depends on how many of the sub-franchises they want to keep chugging along. Will there be a 4th, 5th, 6th Spiderman movie? A 2nd Captain Marvel movie? A 4th GotG movie? If so, those will all go in there somewhere hence the stretched out-ness. If there's less of those and less new characters outside the Fantastic Four, then you could squash phase 5 and 6 together.

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#36 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• View gallery

Posted 29 April 2019 - 05:02 PM

All I really care about at the moment is that Guardians Vol 3 should include Thor and see the whole gang trying to track down Gamora.

#37 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 29 April 2019 - 05:13 PM

View PostD, on 29 April 2019 - 04:53 PM, said:

This might be weird, but I hope the X-Men don't show up at all until, like, Phase 7. We've got a lot of characters leftover from the first saga, many of whom only really got their introduction and not much else. And I don't want to see the mutants added to the MCU with just a handwavey "oh, they've always been a thing we never mentioned before" retcon.

Ah, but the MCU/Russo's they've very subtly and cleverly PLANNED for both then X-Men AND the Fantastic Four to be introduced WITHOUT a retcon.

Notice that they very specifically have Smart Hulk talk about how he's the perfect person to use the glove to Snap things back because he's built for/can handle the Gamma Radiation it will produce. Something that they comment on when Nat is asking about where Thanos is, and how it send out a wave of Gamma energy when he did it that affected the entire universe. So we know the Glove and the Stones produce massive, life-altering gamma rays that can kill you if you are the one holding ground zero (Eitri's glove was designed to stop the stones from killing the wearer for that very reason...Thanos may be an Eternal, but he's not infallible to those levels).

So in the timeline that Endgame creates/establishes where the film ended in 2023... guess who you can now totally "origin story" VIA Gamma rays in Space? The Fantastic Four.

Guess who else can show up as the Gamma Rays the multiple 'Snaps' produced across the universe, washed the planet they occurred on (Earth)? Mutants.

I'm fairly certain that this was done on purpose to allow for those characters to be brought in with a minimum of fuss to the established story. ;)

View PostD, on 29 April 2019 - 04:53 PM, said:

I'd go with something like:

Phase 4 >> mostly all the solo films they've been building up to already: Black Panther 2, the Black Widow prequel, GotG 3 w/ Adam Warlock, Doctor Strange 2 w/Mordo, something with Valkyrie perhaps? Basically, take the time to wrap up loose ends so you have some breathing room, establish who is and isn't relevant post-Endgame and then the mash-up at the end of phase 4 showcases the new "core" team (IMO: Black Panther, Spiderman, Falcomerica, Scarlet Witch are the new core avengers team + Antman and Wasp occasionally drop in. Capt Marvel and Doctor Strange mostly are off doing their own side things and don't interact with the team much. Hulk and Warmachine are effectively retired but sometimes consult or perhaps coordinate. Thor, Bucky, and Hawkeye are totally retired and are basically never seen again. I dunno about Valkyrie).

Disrespect to the New Cap aside (no need to call him Falcomerica, come on), you're very likely going to be right on most of this. Adding in the Eternals movie is the big difference I'm seeing. That will bring the Celestials into the fray (possibly including Ego himself) as the seeding of the original earth superhero plant...but yes, I see the characters we know survived in new arcs...but you still need to build towards something. Thanos was teased in THOR....the second film in the MCU...so I can see the need to do the sam here, and if that's Galactus...then that needs to have some fertile soil to plant in.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 29 April 2019 - 06:42 PM

#38 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 29 April 2019 - 06:01 PM

That could work, I guess. Means the Fantastic Four are mutants, though?

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#39 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 29 April 2019 - 06:09 PM

Oh god not Galactus. Anything but a vague cloud again. Please.
Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#40 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• View gallery

Posted 29 April 2019 - 06:27 PM

View PostD, on 29 April 2019 - 06:01 PM, said:

That could work, I guess. Means the Fantastic Four are mutants, though?

I mean, Marvel's whole thing with "mutants" is that they're born with an "X-gene" that gives them their powers. (If you get your powers from radiation or a spider-bite or whatever, you're a technically a "mutate" I believe.) So I don't see how you get "mutants" out of the Gauntlet radiation unless they appear an entire generation afterwards. (I mean, the MCU could alter the meaning of mutant to be something else, but that seems unlikely given the racial component that drives the modern X-narrative.)

Share this topic:

• 6 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users