Twilight Imperium (Game 3) - Chat Thread

#1021 User is offline   Blend 

• Gentleman of High House Mafia
  • View gallery
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 13 February 2019 - 06:54 AM

View PostGnaw, on 13 February 2019 - 03:00 AM, said:

Morgoth is downright scary.

I mean, that's nothing new. He's one we always have to watch out for.
There is no struggle too vast, no odds too overwhelming, for even should we fail - should we fall - we will know that we have lived. ~ Anomander Rake
My sig comes from a game in which I didn't heed Blend's advice. So maybe this time I should. ~ Khellendros
I'm just going to have to come to terms with the fact that self-vote suiciding will forever be referred to as "pulling a JPK" now, aren't I? ~ JPK

#1022 User is offline   Tattersail_ 

• formerly Ganoes Paran
  • Interests:Mafia. Awesome Pictures. Awesome Videos. Did I mention Mafia?
    snapchat - rustyspoon84

Posted 13 February 2019 - 08:49 AM

View PostD, on 13 February 2019 - 02:33 AM, said:

View PostGnaw, on 13 February 2019 - 02:09 AM, said:

Holy crap Tatts. 10/12?? And they're worried about me??? I'm 14/4

D'rek == 12/18 Posted Image

Tapper == 8/8

Twelve == 10/9

Blend == 8/8

IH == 12/9

Morgoth == 15/10 Posted Image

Nom == 5/4

Yeah, we're the ones to worry about. Posted Image

Big difference in context. E.g., I might technically have 12 resources total but they're all spread across my planets so it's only if I spend no influence all round. If I maximize each planet I have... 5 resources (and yes, 16 influence, I have MR for now after all). Tatts' maximum efficiency is 8/9, yours is 13/2, Tapper is 7/7, Twelve is 6/7, Morgoth is 14/8, IH is 11/3 (or 7/7), etc.

Of course being 13/2 isn't great either if it means you have no influence to get CTs or votes... unless you're Nekro.

Nekro don't need much influence due to not being part of agendas and gaining CT's through tech, Morgoth stated that he had too many CT's to know what to do with them all. So you're in a good position Gnaw. Morgoth's position is amazing, that's a fertile production for an experienced player.
Apt is the only one who reads this. Apt is nice.

#1023 User is offline   Imperial Historian 

• Master of the Deck
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 13 February 2019 - 08:52 AM

View PostD, on 13 February 2019 - 02:33 AM, said:

View PostGnaw, on 13 February 2019 - 02:09 AM, said:

Holy crap Tatts. 10/12?? And they're worried about me??? I'm 14/4

D'rek == 12/18 Posted Image

Tapper == 8/8

Twelve == 10/9

Blend == 8/8

IH == 12/9

Morgoth == 15/10 Posted Image

Nom == 5/4

Yeah, we're the ones to worry about. Posted Image

Big difference in context. E.g., I might technically have 12 resources total but they're all spread across my planets so it's only if I spend no influence all round. If I maximize each planet I have... 5 resources (and yes, 16 influence, I have MR for now after all). Tatts' maximum efficiency is 8/9, yours is 13/2, Tapper is 7/7, Twelve is 6/7, Morgoth is 14/8, IH is 11/3 (or 7/7), etc.

Of course being 13/2 isn't great either if it means you have no influence to get CTs or votes... unless you're Nekro.

So morgoth 22
D'rek 21
Tatts 17
Gnaw 15
Tapper 14
IH 14
Twelve 13
Blend 8
Nom 5

I have some terrifying neighbors

#1024 User is offline   Tattersail_ 

• formerly Ganoes Paran
    snapchat - rustyspoon84

Posted 13 February 2019 - 08:59 AM

Lodor, Silvano and Herrah would put you on 20, they are all unclaimed right now. I don't know how adventurous you want to be.

#1025 User is offline   Imperial Historian 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 13 February 2019 - 09:21 AM

Lodor won't be unclaimed for long, and I can't really reach the others now, but yes I'm not in a completely awful position.

#1026 User is offline   Tattersail_ 

• formerly Ganoes Paran
    snapchat - rustyspoon84

Posted 13 February 2019 - 09:28 AM

D'rek, Blend and Gnaw, I am open to exchanging SftT as you are the only ones who have not done so yet. First come first serve with this offer as it is mutually beneficial.

#1027 User is offline   Galactic Council 

• God
  • Group: Game Mod

Posted 13 February 2019 - 10:29 AM

The wormhole passageways have completed their periodic shift. The planet Mallice now exists in subspace close to the territories of the Solarians.

(I've moved Mallice on the game map to below the Sol player card).

#1028 User is offline   Galactic Council 

• God

Posted 13 February 2019 - 10:35 AM

View PostGnaw, on 13 February 2019 - 01:33 AM, said:

View PostGalactic Council, on 13 February 2019 - 12:12 AM, said:

View PostGnaw, on 12 February 2019 - 11:04 PM, said:

View PostGalactic Council, on 12 February 2019 - 09:36 PM, said:

View PostGnaw, on 12 February 2019 - 07:31 PM, said:

makes me wonder what other rules will change on the fly.

Anything and everything I want - look forward to a new rule change every round. A roll of 5 blows up your fleet. The politics secondary now switches your race!

I really didn't think such a thing had happened in previous games because it just didn't sound like something the Warfare sec was meant for, and I still don't, but also don't be melodramatic about it :) If the precedent was set I will keep it the same, I didn't think I was changing anything by not allowing infantry but it seems that I would be.

That having been said, I still don't agree with picking up troops before moving and think that should be revisited before a new game starts.

Oooooo a set of special cards that goes out to everyone before the game, one per player:

Choose a player: they have to choose another race.

Choose two players: chosen players have to switch starting positions.

Choose a player: switch homeworld positions with that player (just the homeworlds move).

As for the warfare secondary, I don't see the problem with it. If it was OP everyone would be using it to move infantry around. The only way I can see it being truly overpowered would be if Logistics was played followed immediately by Warfare in the same turn. Following players could build, move via warfare secondary, then perform a Tactical Action to move again. Unlikely to the point I don't recall that happening yet.
If you really are concerned about it being OP, make it read 2 units. I started to say excluding docks and PDS but that might make it fun...

It's less about it being OP (as you say, that hasn't been shown yet in previous games) and more that it doesn't, to me, seem to be in the spirit of the card. After all, if you can pick up infantry from a planet and put them in the space area with the move, why can't you set them down as well at the end?

Because an invasion can only happen as part of a tactical action.

For example, when I was mistaking the logistics secondary for the warfare secondary, I was considering moving the forces out of my homeworld to Wellon. That way my ships would be there without actually having to take Wellon.
I find it perfectly logical and don't see a problem with it. Definitely don't think it's OP. The free build offered by the logistics secondary is far more OP in my mind.

The more I look at it, the more illogical it looks to me, because the action talks specifically about moving SHIPS, not units, and not any other action (like picking up unit ground forces off planets). I'm only allowing it now because it has been used like that previously and I didn't stipulate a change at the beginning of this game, but in future either the card wording is changed or - my preference - you can't move infantry.

You don't think it's OP because 1) You're the Nekro and when you get your flagship you probably intend to use this ability to your advantage :D , and 2) previous games defined 'empty' as actually empty, including of planets. So the secondary HAS been boosted for this game, and therefore there is greater risk of it being too strong now.

#1029 User is offline   Tattersail_ 

• formerly Ganoes Paran
    snapchat - rustyspoon84

Posted 13 February 2019 - 10:47 AM

Also what did Twelve research? That allows you to move up to 4 infantry around your systems. That is a third tier tech. People could bypass researching that by just doing the warfare secondary.

#1030 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus

Posted 13 February 2019 - 11:07 AM

ugh, sorry for the lack of participation the last few days. I got a second round of throwing up my insides. I love my girlfriend, but working with kids and bringing all that stuff home has its downsides.
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#1031 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus

Posted 13 February 2019 - 11:09 AM

Hey Gnaw, I can't manage to send ships to you this turn. My lack of tokens is showing itself. Are you fine with getting one next turn and I'll throw in a trade good too? You'll have even more tech to chose from if so.
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#1032 User is offline   Tattersail_ 

• formerly Ganoes Paran
    snapchat - rustyspoon84

Posted 13 February 2019 - 11:10 AM

View PostMorgoth, on 13 February 2019 - 11:07 AM, said:

ugh, sorry for the lack of participation the last few days. I got a second round of throwing up my insides. I love my girlfriend, but working with kids and bringing all that stuff home has its downsides.

When my girl gets sick because she's been to a play group or soft play area I initially feel so angry. Helpless when she's coughing and bunged up. All I can do is be patient and give her my love.

#1033 User is offline   Galactic Council 

• God

Posted 13 February 2019 - 11:28 AM

I made it through almost the whole of 2018 without getting ill once and then just after Christmas my niece infected me. I only stopped coughing a few days ago. I am plotting my righteous revenge, that 1-year old won’t know what hit her.

#1034 User is offline   Blend 

• View gallery

Posted 13 February 2019 - 01:03 PM

View PostTattersail_, on 13 February 2019 - 09:28 AM, said:

D'rek, Blend and Gnaw, I am open to exchanging SftT as you are the only ones who have not done so yet. First come first serve with this offer as it is mutually beneficial.

Macaw and I will be swapping ours when it comes back around to my turn (meant to do it once we neighboured, forgot, and then Macaw also forgot)

This post has been edited by Blend: 13 February 2019 - 01:04 PM

There is no struggle too vast, no odds too overwhelming, for even should we fail - should we fall - we will know that we have lived. ~ Anomander Rake
My sig comes from a game in which I didn't heed Blend's advice. So maybe this time I should. ~ Khellendros
I'm just going to have to come to terms with the fact that self-vote suiciding will forever be referred to as "pulling a JPK" now, aren't I? ~ JPK

#1035 User is offline   Tapper 

• Lover of High House Mafia

Posted 13 February 2019 - 01:04 PM

Being a parent and being infected by a small baby, I know your pain.
And what Tatts said. As a parent, you'd happily be infected by most virulent cold possible if it would prevent my little Sofía from suffering through the night with a blocked nose she cannot clean.
Everyone is entitled to his own wrong opinion. - Lizrad

#1036 User is offline   Tattersail_ 

• formerly Ganoes Paran
    snapchat - rustyspoon84

Posted 13 February 2019 - 02:47 PM

View PostBlend, on 13 February 2019 - 01:03 PM, said:

Macaw and I will be swapping ours when it comes back around to my turn (meant to do it once we neighboured, forgot, and then Macaw also forgot)

Fair enough.

D'rek what say you?

#1037 User is offline   Tattersail_ 

• formerly Ganoes Paran
    snapchat - rustyspoon84

Posted 13 February 2019 - 02:48 PM

Does Morgoth realise it is his turn, or is he waiting for word from Macaw

#1038 User is offline   Imperial Historian 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 13 February 2019 - 03:14 PM

View PostTattersail_, on 13 February 2019 - 02:47 PM, said:

Fair enough.

D'rek what say you?

Tatts if I was you I wouldn't be in a hurry to exchange your sftt, since d'rek is extremely unlikely to benefit from attacking you due to your military superiority. At this stage of the game it's almost certain someone will have to give back a sftt and you will be able yo get more from it down the line. I'm already regretting giving D'rek my ceasefire as the jol nar are in such a strong position for scoring VP when left in peace, especially with so many resources.

#1039 User is offline   Tattersail_ 

• formerly Ganoes Paran
    snapchat - rustyspoon84

Posted 13 February 2019 - 03:18 PM

View PostImperial Historian, on 13 February 2019 - 03:14 PM, said:

View PostTattersail_, on 13 February 2019 - 02:47 PM, said:

Fair enough.

D'rek what say you?

Tatts if I was you I wouldn't be in a hurry to exchange your sftt, since d'rek is extremely unlikely to benefit from attacking you due to your military superiority. At this stage of the game it's almost certain someone will have to give back a sftt and you will be able yo get more from it down the line. I'm already regretting giving D'rek my ceasefire as the jol nar are in such a strong position for scoring VP when left in peace, especially with so many resources.

Everyone has that extra VP at the moment that I cannot achieve unless I do the deal, I am sure there are others that are looking at the Jol Nar with avid interest but gaining a VP would be my priority. Unless of course Blend and Gnaw could come in to some agreement with me. Where we each get a SftT. Blend gets mine, Gnaw get's Blend's and I get Gnaw's or something like that. Just like you Gnaw and I did last game IH.

#1040 User is offline   Blend 

• View gallery

Posted 13 February 2019 - 03:34 PM

View PostTattersail_, on 13 February 2019 - 03:18 PM, said:

Everyone has that extra VP at the moment that I cannot achieve unless I do the deal, I am sure there are others that are looking at the Jol Nar with avid interest but gaining a VP would be my priority. Unless of course Blend and Gnaw could come in to some agreement with me. Where we each get a SftT. Blend gets mine, Gnaw get's Blend's and I get Gnaw's or something like that. Just like you Gnaw and I did last game IH.

I wouldn't be opposed to this if Macaw are in.

Share this topic:

• 242 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users