Malazan Empire: Twilight Imperium (Game 3) - Chat Thread - Malazan Empire

Jump to content

  • 242 Pages +
  • « First
  • 240
  • 241
  • 242
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Twilight Imperium (Game 3) - Chat Thread

#4821 User is offline   Tattersail_ 

  • formerly Ganoes Paran
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Posts: 10,330
  • Joined: 16-July 10
  • Location:Wirral
  • Interests:Mafia. Awesome Pictures. Awesome Videos. Did I mention Mafia?
    snapchat - rustyspoon84

Posted 25 June 2019 - 05:42 PM

Sftt being one. IH had 2. That's 2 free points.
Apt is the only one who reads this. Apt is nice.
0

#4822 User is offline   D'rek 

  • Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators
  • Posts: 11,453
  • Joined: 08-August 07
  • Location::

Posted 25 June 2019 - 05:47 PM

View PostTattersail_, on 25 June 2019 - 05:42 PM, said:

Sftt being one. IH had 2. That's 2 free points.


Yeah, I definitely felt those were given away too liberally

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.
0

#4823 User is offline   Blend 

  • Gentleman of High House Mafia
  • View gallery
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Posts: 3,041
  • Joined: 28-March 03
  • Location:Ottawa

Posted 25 June 2019 - 06:16 PM

You scared the crap outta me Drek! I thought we'd lost everything!
There is no struggle too vast, no odds too overwhelming, for even should we fail - should we fall - we will know that we have lived. ~ Anomander Rake
My sig comes from a game in which I didn't heed Blend's advice. So maybe this time I should. ~ Khellendros
I'm just going to have to come to terms with the fact that self-vote suiciding will forever be referred to as "pulling a JPK" now, aren't I? ~ JPK
0

#4824 User is offline   Blend 

  • Gentleman of High House Mafia
  • View gallery
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Posts: 3,041
  • Joined: 28-March 03
  • Location:Ottawa

Posted 25 June 2019 - 06:18 PM

FYI - I don't have access to this forum on Galactic Council
There is no struggle too vast, no odds too overwhelming, for even should we fail - should we fall - we will know that we have lived. ~ Anomander Rake
My sig comes from a game in which I didn't heed Blend's advice. So maybe this time I should. ~ Khellendros
I'm just going to have to come to terms with the fact that self-vote suiciding will forever be referred to as "pulling a JPK" now, aren't I? ~ JPK
0

#4825 User is offline   D'rek 

  • Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators
  • Posts: 11,453
  • Joined: 08-August 07
  • Location::

Posted 25 June 2019 - 06:20 PM

View PostBlend, on 25 June 2019 - 06:18 PM, said:

FYI - I don't have access to this forum on Galactic Council


Try now?

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.
0

#4826 User is offline   Blend 

  • Gentleman of High House Mafia
  • View gallery
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Posts: 3,041
  • Joined: 28-March 03
  • Location:Ottawa

Posted 25 June 2019 - 06:28 PM

Nope, the only forum I can see is the game forums. None of the sub-forums, nor any of the other non-game related forums
There is no struggle too vast, no odds too overwhelming, for even should we fail - should we fall - we will know that we have lived. ~ Anomander Rake
My sig comes from a game in which I didn't heed Blend's advice. So maybe this time I should. ~ Khellendros
I'm just going to have to come to terms with the fact that self-vote suiciding will forever be referred to as "pulling a JPK" now, aren't I? ~ JPK
0

#4827 User is offline   D'rek 

  • Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators
  • Posts: 11,453
  • Joined: 08-August 07
  • Location::

Posted 25 June 2019 - 06:31 PM

Try it now

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.
0

#4828 User is offline   Galactic Council 

  • God
  • Group: Game Mod
  • Posts: 4,077
  • Joined: 30-April 13

Posted 25 June 2019 - 06:37 PM

Got it! :)
0

#4829 User is offline   D'rek 

  • Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators
  • Posts: 11,453
  • Joined: 08-August 07
  • Location::

Posted 25 June 2019 - 06:44 PM

Nice!

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.
0

#4830 User is offline   Imperial Historian 

  • God
  • Group: Administrators
  • Posts: 4,999
  • Joined: 08-February 04

Posted 25 June 2019 - 06:52 PM

View PostD, on 25 June 2019 - 05:47 PM, said:

View PostTattersail_, on 25 June 2019 - 05:42 PM, said:

Sftt being one. IH had 2. That's 2 free points.


Yeah, I definitely felt those were given away too liberally


The sftt throne meta is really interesting, I've won the game both times based on good deals for the sftt, it's definitely undervalued. I think the way people behave with it is really interesting, when sftt are exchanged the alliance is generally considered to be stronger, but that resulted in gnaw managing to completely gut blend this game. I think I value it slightly less than d'rek though who seemed the most reluctant to hand hers out, it's a very useful tool!
0

#4831 User is offline   D'rek 

  • Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators
  • Posts: 11,453
  • Joined: 08-August 07
  • Location::

Posted 25 June 2019 - 07:01 PM

View PostImperial Historian, on 25 June 2019 - 06:52 PM, said:

View PostD, on 25 June 2019 - 05:47 PM, said:

View PostTattersail_, on 25 June 2019 - 05:42 PM, said:

Sftt being one. IH had 2. That's 2 free points.


Yeah, I definitely felt those were given away too liberally


The sftt throne meta is really interesting, I've won the game both times based on good deals for the sftt, it's definitely undervalued. I think the way people behave with it is really interesting, when sftt are exchanged the alliance is generally considered to be stronger, but that resulted in gnaw managing to completely gut blend this game. I think I value it slightly less than d'rek though who seemed the most reluctant to hand hers out, it's a very useful tool!


I agree on the alliance considered to be stronger when it is ceasefires+SFTT, though there's an interesting counterplay to that which I don't think we have seen yet, where two players swap both ceasefires and SFTT, but then one player refuses to trade with or otherwise assist the other, because now that they've done the swap it would be a huge hurdle for that player to attack them plus they'd lose the VP.

We've also seen a lot of players trading ceasefire to one side and SFTT to the other side to make peace with their neighbours, treating SFTT like another ceasefire, and I've so far been pretty surprised by how effective this is. I would have expected a lot more cases of the player receiving SFTT to have an attitude of "Sure, I'll accept, knowing that I never plan to keep this VP, and attack when you let your guard down", which he haven't seen much of yet.

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.
0

#4832 User is offline   Morgoth 

  • executor emeritus
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Posts: 9,702
  • Joined: 24-January 03
  • Location:the void

Posted 26 June 2019 - 06:37 AM

I think it's easier to act against a SFTT in the early game, where one point doesn't feel quite as precious, but in the later game where you're calculating your path to victory point for point, giving it up feels a terrible burden. I hate giving away the cease fire and would never have done so this game if Gnaw had picked anyone but the Nekro. I knew I was going for a tech, and so I needed to make absolutely sure Gnaw set his sights elsewhere.
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil
0

#4833 User is offline   Itwśs Nom 

  • Inquisitor of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Posts: 1,229
  • Joined: 02-August 15
  • Location:Weird Side
  • Interests:Kill the King

Posted 26 June 2019 - 08:11 AM

I'd held onto my sftt for quite a while this game compared to y'all and considering my situation iirc, though I was just waiting for the right opportunity to offer it and it ended up working very well, if a little late. It's worth noting that Gnaw's betrayal also would have worked more effectively if we annihilated Blend altogether which we were in a safe position to do I think. Also afterwards using the opportunity of gnaw having my sftt to steal whatever systems I felt like from him without fear of retaliation (because late game) felt good.
"Yeah but then it's endless rain and SAD and everyone compensating by getting endlessly irritatingly high all the time" - Abyss
0

#4834 User is offline   Khellendros 

  • Saboteur of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Posts: 5,285
  • Joined: 14-August 07

Posted 26 June 2019 - 02:47 PM

View PostGnaw, on 25 June 2019 - 05:41 PM, said:

Just out of useless curiosity what would have been the next PO?
Summary much later given that Iíve got another game to start first but two easy thoughts for my game: donít score SOs too early and donít kick someone out of Rex just Ďcause you can.


Unify the Colonies -- 2VP -- Status Phase -- Control 6 planets that each have the same planet trait.
"I think I've made a terrible error of judgement."
0

#4835 User is offline   Tattersail_ 

  • formerly Ganoes Paran
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Posts: 10,330
  • Joined: 16-July 10
  • Location:Wirral
  • Interests:Mafia. Awesome Pictures. Awesome Videos. Did I mention Mafia?
    snapchat - rustyspoon84

Posted 26 June 2019 - 03:00 PM

View PostKhellendros, on 26 June 2019 - 02:47 PM, said:

View PostGnaw, on 25 June 2019 - 05:41 PM, said:

Just out of useless curiosity what would have been the next PO?
Summary much later given that I've got another game to start first but two easy thoughts for my game: don't score SOs too early and don't kick someone out of Rex just 'cause you can.


Unify the Colonies -- 2VP -- Status Phase -- Control 6 planets that each have the same planet trait.


D'rek was probably best able to score that by taking either Nevant or Tequ'ran
Apt is the only one who reads this. Apt is nice.
0

#4836 User is offline   D'rek 

  • Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators
  • Posts: 11,453
  • Joined: 08-August 07
  • Location::

Posted 26 June 2019 - 03:06 PM

View PostTattersail_, on 26 June 2019 - 03:00 PM, said:

View PostKhellendros, on 26 June 2019 - 02:47 PM, said:

View PostGnaw, on 25 June 2019 - 05:41 PM, said:

Just out of useless curiosity what would have been the next PO?
Summary much later given that I've got another game to start first but two easy thoughts for my game: don't score SOs too early and don't kick someone out of Rex just 'cause you can.


Unify the Colonies -- 2VP -- Status Phase -- Control 6 planets that each have the same planet trait.


D'rek was probably best able to score that by taking either Nevant or Tequ'ran


And pretty easy to hold onto them with those Ceasefires you gave me :)

The question is, would Tapper have QDH'd IMPERIAL away from me so that I can't score the PO during the action phase?

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.
0

#4837 User is offline   Tapper 

  • Lover of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Posts: 6,163
  • Joined: 29-June 04
  • Location:Delft, Holland.

Posted 28 June 2019 - 10:56 AM

View PostD, on 26 June 2019 - 03:06 PM, said:

View PostTattersail_, on 26 June 2019 - 03:00 PM, said:

View PostKhellendros, on 26 June 2019 - 02:47 PM, said:

View PostGnaw, on 25 June 2019 - 05:41 PM, said:

Just out of useless curiosity what would have been the next PO?
Summary much later given that I've got another game to start first but two easy thoughts for my game: don't score SOs too early and don't kick someone out of Rex just 'cause you can.


Unify the Colonies -- 2VP -- Status Phase -- Control 6 planets that each have the same planet trait.


D'rek was probably best able to score that by taking either Nevant or Tequ'ran


And pretty easy to hold onto them with those Ceasefires you gave me :)

The question is, would Tapper have QDH'd IMPERIAL away from me so that I can't score the PO during the action phase?

100%. Doing so was my only shot at 12 points, although I'd have needed a good SO from Imperial.
Everyone is entitled to his own wrong opinion. - Lizrad
0

Share this topic:


  • 242 Pages +
  • « First
  • 240
  • 241
  • 242
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users