Identity Politics

#81 User is offline   Primateus 

• E Pluribus Anus
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Stuff, lots of stuff!

Posted 07 February 2019 - 01:42 PM

View Postworry, on 07 February 2019 - 08:46 AM, said:

Sorry, here's the pertinent stuff (the McCain referenced is Cindy McCain):

I came in from a trip I'd been on and I spotted—it looked odd—it was a woman of a different ethnicity than the child, this little toddler she had, and something didn't click with me," McCain said in the radio interview. "I went over to the police and told them what I saw, and they went over and questioned her, and, by God, she was trafficking that kid."

McCain went on to say that she discovered the woman was waiting for the man who bought the child to arrive from his flight.

Phoenix police said Wednesday that while officers did respond to the Jan. 30 call, at McCain's request, they were able to determine "there was no evidence of criminal conduct or child endangerment."

Well, that's not racist at all Posted Image
Screw you all, and have a nice day!

#82 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 21 February 2019 - 11:20 PM

Things are really complicated now. It's easy to get lost in all the new jargon. But I was wondering, does this pretty much sum up what 'sexual fluidity' is all about?

Don't @ me snowflakes.

#83 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 23 February 2019 - 10:02 PM

As a binary, I wouldn't say it sums things up, but I do think you could draw a decent starting-point analogy out for a sex ed class using that, as long as you don't equate sexual fluidity with bisexuality.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#84 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 13 March 2019 - 11:08 PM

Ok, which one is more offensive? Careful snowflakes, I can sense you are already melting before even pushing play.

#85 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 14 March 2019 - 04:10 AM

None of them.

Removing the Michael Jackson one really annoys me. It's one of my favorite Simpsons episodes.

Claiming the video was grooming children is a load of bullshit. If it was doing anything it was raising awarenesses about mental health. Early Simpsons seasons were not aimed at children, it was a cartoon for adults.

#86 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 21 March 2019 - 08:22 PM

Trigger warning for you 'cuckflakes', it's from Conan.

This wraps it all up in a nice bow. Posted Image

#87 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 21 March 2019 - 08:27 PM

What do those videos have to do with identity politics?

#88 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 21 March 2019 - 08:54 PM

Apt, I'm afraid it is your responsibility to create a comedy version of every Discussion thread in Phoenix Inn, like you did for Trump & Co., so that this kind of cross-contamination doesn't happen. It's a task that once borne cannot be laid down, until its bearer is dead. Sorry.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#89 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 25 March 2019 - 06:42 AM

Interesting night / morning.

This little doozy popped up: https://edition.cnn....intl/index.html

My response to the poster was that it's fucked up on many levels. Their response was a relatively predictable "but that's just your subjective opinion" followed by their friend stating all trans folk should be murdered.

I just despair with people sometimes.
Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#90 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 25 March 2019 - 12:09 PM

What's really bizarre about Japan with regards to LGBT issues is that if you go back to the feudal era, it was never a problem. No one even batted an eye about same sex relationships, and it was not until post-Westerner missionaries and then WWII Western influence (Meiji Period basically) that the more Conservative mindset took hold in part of the populace. The fact that they have had to regress to a more feudal/culture locked mindset now to defeat the prevailing Conservative one introduced by the West is telling as far as society in culture goes.

But yeah, that's a shitty ruling and here's hoping that they come around on that in the near future to allow trans people the rights they should be given.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#91 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 21 December 2019 - 05:21 AM

So here's a bizarre exchange involving 3 popular sci-fi and fantasy authors.

https://www.reddit.c...tm_source=share

Based on this tweet am I right in understanding that JK Rowling does not support transexual rights? There's more info linked that suggests she's signalled something similar before.

Not sure whether Morgan's point is pro or against. Can be read both ways but it sounds like he agrees with Rowling.

Merry Christmas I guess.

#92 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert

Posted 21 December 2019 - 09:19 AM

View PostAptorian, on 21 December 2019 - 05:21 AM, said:

Based on this tweet am I right in understanding that JK Rowling does not support transexual rights?

That's going a bit far, isn't it? Far being from it that I feel sorry for her, because she's being devoured by a beast she helped create and nurture, but the backlash sounds insane. You'd think people were being put to death with no trial.
It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

#93 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 21 December 2019 - 01:10 PM

Well, at least from the outside, it looks like she's touting a pro-feminism before pro-transexual politics angle. If that's not what she means, then she should think about her formulation.

#94 User is offline   Grief 

• Prophet of High House Mafia
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 21 December 2019 - 02:00 PM

For context:

Maya was a consultant with trans-exclusionary radical feminist (TERF) views, such as this tweet:

"What I am so surprised at is that smart people I admire, who are absolutely pro-science in other areas, and champion human rights & womens rights are tying themselves in knots to avoid saying the truth that men cannot change into women (because that might hurt mens feelings)"

The company she was contracted with decided not to renew her contract. Maya then sued the company, claiming that this was discrimination which violated the 2010 Equality Act. The courts recently ruled against her, stating that she is "absolutist in her view of sex and [...] will refer to a person by the sex she considered appropriate even if it violates their dignity and/or creates an intimidating, hostile, degrading, humiliating or offensive environment". This has been welcomed by trans activists as an important precedent (basically that someone's ideological views on transpeople aren't specially protected and don't mean you can go around being a dick to them).

Rowling is particularly under fire since this isn't the first time she's shown this kind of sentiment. As for the backlash, these arguments are fairly common lines of harassment on trans people (at least in the UK). Do also mind the gap between the court's description of Maya's actions and Rowlings "force women out of their jobs for saying sex is real".

Cougar said:

Grief, FFS will you do something with your sig, it's bloody awful

worry said:

Grief is right (until we abolish capitalism).

#95 User is offline   Obdigore 

• ThunderBear
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 21 December 2019 - 08:45 PM

View PostAptorian, on 21 December 2019 - 05:21 AM, said:

Based on this tweet am I right in understanding that JK Rowling does not support transexual rights? There's more info linked that suggests she's signalled something similar before.

Many people, especially in the Trans community, have seen the TERF writing on the JK wall for a while.

She is pretty clearly a TERF, and so is this other woman.
Monster Hunter World Iceborne: It's like hunting monsters, but on crack, but the monsters are also on crack.

#96 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 21 December 2019 - 09:04 PM

Imagine being so mad at men that when one of them wants to become a woman (or something completely different) you ostracize them.

This post has been edited by Aptorian: 21 December 2019 - 09:06 PM

#97 User is offline   Obdigore 

• ThunderBear
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 21 December 2019 - 09:14 PM

View PostAptorian, on 21 December 2019 - 09:04 PM, said:

Imagine being so mad at men that when one of them wants to become a woman (or something completely different) you ostracize them.

Yea its a 'women are important' which isn't an issue, that turns into 'women is something no man could ever become', which is an issue, at least to me, and a number of people.
Monster Hunter World Iceborne: It's like hunting monsters, but on crack, but the monsters are also on crack.

#98 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 22 December 2019 - 07:05 PM

View PostGrief, on 21 December 2019 - 02:00 PM, said:

For context:

Maya was a consultant with trans-exclusionary radical feminist (TERF) views, such as this tweet:

"What I am so surprised at is that smart people I admire, who are absolutely pro-science in other areas, and champion human rights & womens rights are tying themselves in knots to avoid saying the truth that men cannot change into women (because that might hurt mens feelings)"

The company she was contracted with decided not to renew her contract. Maya then sued the company, claiming that this was discrimination which violated the 2010 Equality Act. The courts recently ruled against her, stating that she is "absolutist in her view of sex and [...] will refer to a person by the sex she considered appropriate even if it violates their dignity and/or creates an intimidating, hostile, degrading, humiliating or offensive environment". This has been welcomed by trans activists as an important precedent (basically that someone's ideological views on transpeople aren't specially protected and don't mean you can go around being a dick to them).

Rowling is particularly under fire since this isn't the first time she's shown this kind of sentiment. As for the backlash, these arguments are fairly common lines of harassment on trans people (at least in the UK). Do also mind the gap between the court's description of Maya's actions and Rowlings "force women out of their jobs for saying sex is real".

'Why Transphobia Is So Mainstream in Britain

[...] Though simmering for many years, the current wave of anti-trans rhetoric erupted in 2017. That's when the British government opened consultations on proposals to change the Gender Recognition Act, a 2004 law that establishes how trans people can change the gender on their government documents. LGBTIQ rights organizations such as Stonewall advocated for an amendment to the act, which would ease the associated administrative burdens. Opponents of trans rights were concerned that this law relaxed the process too much.

To challenge Stonewall, the organization Woman's Place U.K. was formed. Composed of prominent Boomer-generation feminists and lesbian activists (often labeled trans-exclusionary radical feminists, or TERFs), the organization launched itself on the basis of defending cis women. Like U.S. "bathroom bill" proponents, Woman's Place U.K. argued that accepting trans women as women placed cis women at risk. [...] It also was critiqued for ignoring cases where spaces for vulnerable women successfully opened themselves to trans women, as well as studies that indicate that trans-inclusivity does not negatively impact cis women. [...] the debate continued, with even the Guardian U.K. backing the "inequality is biological" argument'

https://slate.com/hu...-discourse.html

'UK Voter Reform Plans Will Prevent Trans People From Voting

Boris Johnson's electoral reform plans that will require a photo ID to vote could prevent trans people from voting, say campaigners. [...]

But the change could have a significant impact on trans people, unable to change their legal gender who present in the gender different from what they were assigned at birth.

"Many people, like myself, don't have passports or ID because of the very reason that we are then forced into choosing a gender identity that isn't correct."'
https://www.forbes.c...q0#78c5af3396a6

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 22 December 2019 - 07:06 PM

#99 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 29 December 2019 - 10:47 PM

'This is neo-colonialist exploitation because Maasai women are critical agents who use jewelry-making as a socio-economic avenue to survive and escape sexual and gender-based violence. Yet despite this, you sell jewelry at a 90 percent markup from the original price that you bought it for. We must name this as abuse because the language around different forms of white supremacy matters. Deploying phrases like "made in Kenya" or "we work with Maasai women" is paternalistic and overstates your efforts when you simply stock and over-price ready-made jewelry. It is racist that you turn a blind eye to Britain's colonial history whilst cognizant that tribes were forced to abandon their cultural practices under violent assimilationist policies; that the Maasai tribe is one of the few tribes in Africa that still maintain their cultural practices in day-to-day life and jewelry-making is one of those intergenerational practices.

[...] These white saviors use buzzwords like sisterhood and feminism as a way to facilitate their neoliberal extortion when this is quite literally the opposite of what Feminist Theory teaches us on gendered work. [...] white women in the NYT article who are portrayed as heroines who work 'with Kenyan artisans to create pieces that in turn help them earn a livelihood'. By contrast, Maasai women cannot be social entrepreneurs. Their bead-making is reduced to a hobby and doesn't warrant the same respectability as their white counterparts because it is domestic work. I refuse to deny white women's role in emphasizing the gendered notions of entrepreneurship.

White designers and publication giants like Vogue and the New York Times that enable them must be held accountable. You can't "love and light" appropriation away simply because YOU believe YOUR intentions are well-founded. You can't exploit and disappear the labor of Indigenous women and think no one will care or take notice. In other words: sell your own shit. Damn.

[...] born and based in Nairobi, Kenya. As a recent law graduate from the University of Warwick, she is currently on a gap year, exploring "funemployment" to the fullest capacity.'

https://wearyourvoic...__3HqjplZ-NtRt0

So even if the Maasai women who create the jewelry were credited as the sole creators, or received more of the mark-up, that still wouldn't be enough ('sell your own shit')?...

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 29 December 2019 - 10:50 PM

#100 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 30 December 2019 - 08:39 AM

I would have to add that the Tories will try to block anyone who might vote against them, so it makes sense that they would try to block trans folk from doing so. They're no friends of the right wing.
Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

Share this topic:

• 21 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users