Malazan Empire: REJOICE! A Knife To The Heart - Malazan Empire

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

REJOICE! A Knife To The Heart SE does SF!!!

#1 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 18 November 2018 - 05:23 AM

View PostBriar King, on 18 November 2018 - 01:34 AM, said:

... my smoothly shaved buttocks ...

Thanks for that. ;)

I'm halfway through Rejoice and really enjoying it. Rejoicing, you might say.

The conversational style isn't putting me off like the latter Jack Whyte books did, even though both acted to present the writer's opinion.
Maybe that's because Whyte's became circular and interminable but SE's is taut and lean as it's a solo book focus. And the use of thinly-veiled real life characters to represent many different viewpoints makes it easier to take in as well, I guess.
This is where SE's predilection for philosophical musing enhances rather than detracts.

EDIT: hopefully the movie rights will be snapped up by someone good. It would be pretty cheap to make, and since Arrival did pretty well, and other sorts of movies based on conversations in rooms ... fingers crossed.

EDIT2: can a Mod please make a ded-thread here?

https://forum.malaza...-eriksonlundin/

EDIT3: Cool quote that kind of sums up the big question -
“There lies our immediate task. Determining, individually and collectively, what has to be over what we think has to be. We are being invited to seek a new definition of human nature, no more, no less, and surely you can see that this determination now poses the greatest challenge our species has ever faced.”

This post has been edited by Tsundoku: 18 November 2018 - 07:56 AM

"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#2 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 20 November 2018 - 10:38 AM

Finished Rejoice! A Knife to the Heart. A complicated book. I'm going to have to think this one over.

A pity there's no sub-forum for it ... ;)

I enjoyed the first 2/3 more than the end ... but again, I think I'm still going over it in my mind.

At least 8 intelligent ET species out of 10. Maybe more. Dunno. :ermm:

EDIT: FWIW, IMHO Wert's review is spot-on.

https://forum.malaza...ost__p__1348295

This post has been edited by Tsundoku: 20 November 2018 - 10:44 AM

"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#3 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 20 November 2018 - 05:32 PM

And lo, there was a request for a ded-thread, and the modgods looked down upon the poor loosely huddled masses, and heard their pleas, and created a ded-thread even tho the lazy fuckers could have done it themselves. And there was much rejoicing.

And then the cranky masses cried out, saying 'puhlease mighty wonderful nice smelling modgods, give unto us a subforum', and the modgods looked down upon the whiners, and heard their pleas, and Abyss was procrastinating real work so he created the subforum. And there was much rejoicing. And sending of whiskey and artisinal gummi bears, gift cards also accepted.

Resume discussion.

THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#4 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 20 November 2018 - 07:54 PM

I'm almost half way through, and loving it.

Just chiming in to say that there are SO MANY quotable lines in this book. Not just in chapter headers quotes from Samantha, but in the text itself.

The allegories to real life people are thinly disguised enough to be cool, but blatant enough for me to be in on the joke.

Also, Steven's clear dislike of Margaret Atwood's pretension is still so palpable...and makes me smile out loud.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#5 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 20 November 2018 - 07:54 PM

Thanks for that. I meant to ask for a sub-forum the first time but ... eh ... senior moment. ;)

#6 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 20 November 2018 - 09:50 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 20 November 2018 - 07:54 PM, said:

Also, Steven's clear dislike of Margaret Atwood's pretension is still so palpable...and makes me smile out loud.

I'm halfway in too, but I thought of you when I read this part!
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#7 User is offline   Andorion 

• God
  • Interests:All things Malazan, sundry sci-fi and fantasy, history, Iron Maiden

Posted 21 November 2018 - 03:03 AM

Just chiming in to say that there are SO MANY quotable lines in this book. Not just in chapter headers quotes from Samantha, but in the text itself.

The allegories to real life people are thinly disguised enough to be cool, but blatant enough for me to be in on the joke.

Which part is the Atwood reference, QT?

#8 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 21 November 2018 - 09:48 AM

View PostAndorion, on 21 November 2018 - 03:03 AM, said:

I'm almost half way through, and loving it. Just chiming in to say that there are SO MANY quotable lines in this book. Not just in chapter headers quotes from Samantha, but in the text itself.The allegories to real life people are thinly disguised enough to be cool, but blatant enough for me to be in on the joke.Also, Steven's clear dislike of Margaret Atwood's pretension is still so palpable...and makes me smile out loud.

Yeah ... I'm not familiar with her (I know she wrote Handmaid's Tale but that's pretty much it), so can you elaborate please?

View PostBriar King, on 21 November 2018 - 03:26 AM, said:

And my buttocks lives on!

It's all the traffic they get. ;)

This post has been edited by Tsundoku: 21 November 2018 - 09:49 AM

#9 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 21 November 2018 - 11:17 AM

The SF author that helps Hamish out by talking with him mentions an SF convention and authors and there is a snark about Atwood there. Probably around 20%into the book.

Tsundoku, Erikson doesn’t appear to like that Atwood pretentiously, though clearly being a writer of SF, talks smack about SFF in general. She claims to write “high literature”, not silly stories about ray guns and made up creatures (paraphrasing).
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#10 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 21 November 2018 - 03:02 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 21 November 2018 - 11:17 AM, said:

Tsundoku, Erikson doesn't appear to like that Atwood pretentiously, though clearly being a writer of SF, talks smack about SFF in general. She claims to write "high literature", not silly stories about ray guns and made up creatures (paraphrasing).

'claimed'... once it became obvious there was $ in sf/f, she was pretty quick to jump on the bandwagon, even before HANDMAID'S became a thing.
Now she loans her name out to (presumably) ghostwritten sf comics.

Posted Image

#11 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 21 November 2018 - 03:26 PM

View PostAbyss, on 21 November 2018 - 03:02 PM, said:

Tsundoku, Erikson doesn't appear to like that Atwood pretentiously, though clearly being a writer of SF, talks smack about SFF in general. She claims to write "high literature", not silly stories about ray guns and made up creatures (paraphrasing).

'claimed'... once it became obvious there was $ in sf/f, she was pretty quick to jump on the bandwagon, even before HANDMAID'S became a thing.
Now she loans her name out to (presumably) ghostwritten sf comics.

Posted Image

Yep. And I could understand as that late game bandwagon jumping would be reason enough to piss Steve and other SFF authors off.

Also, turns out she's a NIMBY (Not In My Backyard) in Toronto. She and her husband moved into the Annex decades ago when it was still a smallish borough on the outskirts of Toronto downtown proper, with rows and rows of wartime townhouses (which has since then become the haven for super-rich Torontonian elite)....only to complain now that the city has engulfed the Annex and they are putting up condos near those old houses. You can tell from her tweets in that article she fundamentally misunderstands the growth that happens in any city, and that trying to protect Six trees (yes, six) puts her on the wrong side of that argument. As one of the wealthiest authors in our country, with nothing to tie her to the Annex, she could easily move to a similar house with less development around her...a luxury not afforded a LOT of people and never mind that she owns a multi-million $ estate on Pelee island since 1987 as well (with a 3rd of her time spent there).

#12 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 21 November 2018 - 04:09 PM

Still, have to give SE props for being willing to take a shot at her. As CanLit goes she's a big deal.

#13 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 21 November 2018 - 04:17 PM

View PostAbyss, on 21 November 2018 - 04:09 PM, said:

Still, have to give SE props for being willing to take a shot at her. As CanLit goes she's a big deal.

100% I do. No one else in CanLit seems willing. She acts like she's THE Canadian author...and everyone else gets her table scraps. I appreciate him taking pot shots at her.

#14 User is offline   Andorion 

• God
  • Interests:All things Malazan, sundry sci-fi and fantasy, history, Iron Maiden

Posted 21 November 2018 - 05:12 PM

The SF author that helps Hamish out by talking with him mentions an SF convention and authors and there is a snark about Atwood there. Probably around 20%into the book.

Missed that. Will have to go back and read it.

#15 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 22 November 2018 - 08:05 AM

OK thanks, are you meaning this bit?

"Ron had known Samantha August for over a decade. They’d met at a convention in Ottawa. Canadian SF writers comprised a small group, all things considered. Some hefty talents in that bunch. Sawyer, Spider Robinson, Watts, Gibson, Samantha August. No point in counting Atwood since she’d refused the membership card and secret handshake. Ronald Carpenter was a relative newcomer—only two novels out so far, with a third one on the way."

and

"Joey had frantically googled the SF writer, only to find the servers had crashed immediately following the revelation of her identity. He vaguely recalled a head-to-head battle royal with Atwood at a convention a few years back (which had later been revealed as staged, some kind of in-joke between the two women, and they’d played it up like pros, exchanging devastating, eviscerating put-downs that had the entire audience of mostly Canadians gasping in shock)."

Doesn't seem too caustic, over all.

#16 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 22 November 2018 - 02:52 PM

View PostTsundoku, on 22 November 2018 - 08:05 AM, said:

OK thanks, are you meaning this bit?

"Ron had known Samantha August for over a decade. They’d met at a convention in Ottawa. Canadian SF writers comprised a small group, all things considered. Some hefty talents in that bunch. Sawyer, Spider Robinson, Watts, Gibson, Samantha August. No point in counting Atwood since she’d refused the membership card and secret handshake. Ronald Carpenter was a relative newcomer—only two novels out so far, with a third one on the way."

and

"Joey had frantically googled the SF writer, only to find the servers had crashed immediately following the revelation of her identity. He vaguely recalled a head-to-head battle royal with Atwood at a convention a few years back (which had later been revealed as staged, some kind of in-joke between the two women, and they’d played it up like pros, exchanging devastating, eviscerating put-downs that had the entire audience of mostly Canadians gasping in shock)."

Doesn't seem too caustic, over all.

Well, he can't exactly take pot shots at her and have them be too brutal...but still, he mentioned her twice and in both instances it was in a negative view.

#17 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 22 November 2018 - 05:10 PM

This:

"Yet another example of a brilliant Canadian Science Fiction writer virtually no one in this country knows about, outside of the aficionados of the genre. Never reviewed by the Globe, or the National Post. So, who is she, madam Prime Minister? Smart, opinionated, a feminist, a humanist. Frankly, I'm not surprised the ETs selected her."

Is also a mild dig at Atwood to me, since Atwood gets all this praise and global recognition, even before her tv show...while really amazing SFF writers in Canada are hardly recognized...and she did it by trying to distance herself from the very genre she wrote in....only to bandwagon jump once it was cool to do so.

#18 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 25 November 2018 - 09:33 PM

Finished! I'd give it 4 out of 5 stars.

Spoilers
Spoiler

This post has been edited by worry: 25 November 2018 - 09:55 PM

#19 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 26 November 2018 - 02:10 PM

View Postworry, on 25 November 2018 - 09:33 PM, said:

But I think dancing sucks, so I guess it's a pet peeve more than anything.

Holy shit. I think I found the source of worry's occasional grumpiness black heart!

Dancing, my friend, is a wonderful activity that even when you're bad at it, is fun and good.

;)

-----------------

I also finished the book, and I enjoyed it as well. It's sometimes hard to deal with the fact that it's almost entirely "fireside chats" in a thought experiment, but as worn said, the characters and depth of some of the plot that sells it. Solid outing by SE!

#20 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 26 November 2018 - 06:46 PM

Yep. So if ever you all see me behaving in a regrettable manner, reference QT's post above, think "there but for the grace of God go I," and extend to me maximum sympathy. Posted Image

----A little more on the book: for as exciting as it would be to see any good adaptation of SE's books, for one reason or another this one felt the most -- by far -- like a movie to me. He's mentioned a few times that when he writes, he is almost like a movie camera watching and weaving through the scene, and it definitely felt like that here. The scene-hopping structure of this was a lot like a blockbuster global disaster movie, but it has the brains of Dr. Strangelove rather than Independence Day (minus the barbed-wire satire, since it plays everything pretty much straight, so that comparison might just be a signal of my limited range of references).

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users