• « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

GOD OF WAR (2018) Father Son Vacation Simulator

#101 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 02 July 2018 - 04:38 PM

Oh wow you guys. Started playing today. This game is stunning. If I'm right, there hasn't been a loading screen or any real transition between cut scenes and gameplay, it is seamless! Just a phenomenal creation! Enjoying the gameplay too.

I'm guessing the Stranger you fight near the beginning is Loki and that I will be fighting him again despite it appearing like I have killed him.

Got to the part where the dwarf gives you the first axe upgrade. So far it just seems like we are going to dump some ashes on a mountain but I'm guessing it will be much more then that when all is said and done.

Are you able to go back to places you've already been? E.g. in the first part where you're hunting the stag there's a hidden room or something but you can't get in. Or have I missed that now?
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#102 User is offline   champ 

• Omnipotent Overseer of the Universe
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 02 July 2018 - 04:46 PM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 02 July 2018 - 04:38 PM, said:

Oh wow you guys. Started playing today. This game is stunning. If I'm right, there hasn't been a loading screen or any real transition between cut scenes and gameplay, it is seamless! Just a phenomenal creation! Enjoying the gameplay too.

I'm guessing the Stranger you fight near the beginning is Loki and that I will be fighting him again despite it appearing like I have killed him.

Got to the part where the dwarf gives you the first axe upgrade. So far it just seems like we are going to dump some ashes on a mountain but I'm guessing it will be much more then that when all is said and done.

Are you able to go back to places you've already been? E.g. in the first part where you're hunting the stag there's a hidden room or something but you can't get in. Or have I missed that now?

Man, you're in for a treat with your first play through. Happy gaming.

And yeah, you get to revisit places so no worries there.

Tehol said:

'Yet my heart breaks for a naked hen.'

#103 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 02 July 2018 - 04:53 PM

You sir, are in for a gaming experience, one of which you've never experienced before. So far, GoW gets my 2018 game of the year (this might change when RDR2 comes out).

Do yourself a favor and play it on "Give me a Challenge" difficulty setting. Man, I wish I was playing God of War for the first time again. Lucky!

#104 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 02 July 2018 - 08:14 PM

And I'm already stuck haha. Not really "stuck" I guess but it's one of the chests that has an apple thingy in or whatever. You have to hit 3 runes but they're all on bells and reactivate quote quickly. Two are close by but the third is further away and it takes a while to get there meaning the other two have reactivated by the time I get there. Not sure how to do it I've tried changing the order I do them in but it's always just a bit too slow...
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#105 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 02 July 2018 - 08:32 PM

Move around and line your ax up from different perspectives. Sometimes you can line up two of the bells to be struck with one throw.

Let me know if you'd rather this be spoiler'd and I'll clam up and let you work it out.

#106 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 02 July 2018 - 08:47 PM

The game will occasionally block certain routes or areas for story reasons but you will get plenty of opportunities to backtrack and collect stuff.

The game is metroidvania-ish. You'llgain new abilities and tools that will give you access to certain loot. The game is relatively good about telling you when to move on and come back later.

Always be on the look out for ghost ravens and story cupboards.

The three rune chests are always doable, it's merely a question of perspective and skill. Though I do remember certain unlocks make some easier?

About difficulty I recommend turning the difficulty down at the start if it gets too punishing. I had a hell of a time trying to fight some enemies at the start.

This post has been edited by Alternative Goose: 02 July 2018 - 08:48 PM

#107 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 02 July 2018 - 09:07 PM

I'll just keep trying on that particular chest. I'm having so much fun and even the harder enemies are fun to try and fight like the big troll things I'm having a blast jumping and rolling around to avoid being slammed and getting my kid to take out the other dudes around the edge.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#108 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 04 July 2018 - 03:22 PM

Another good season today. I got to the lake and suddenly it seemed a lot more open world. I know it's not but I spent quite a while bombing around the lake looking for spirits and suchlike. Decided that I can't be bothered spending forever lobbing my axe at stuff in order to open the chests and any time it takes me more than a couple of tries I move on.

Also what the heck are those realm tears? I went up to a couple of them and got one-shot killed by whatever came through.

I am now making my way up the mountain through those annoying poison bits and I just killed an ogre! This game is so cool.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#109 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 04 July 2018 - 08:14 PM

Be careful when having a go at the realm tears. The enemies that come through are usually more powerful then you, especially early on. The color they are will indicate how powerful they are. If they have a skull icon, then avoid until you have gotten more powerful. Once you've activated a realm tear, you can always run away if the enemies are too powerful. If you can defeat them, you can then collect materials from the realm tear that are used for rare crafting purposes.

The ogres are fun. Like fighting a big gorilla. Jumping on top of them and using them to fight off the other enemies is singularly one of the funnest gaming experiences I've had. Those poison areas could be frustrating, especially when dealing with Revenants.

#110 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 05 July 2018 - 01:14 PM

This mind sound stupid but I was doing it early in the game, The light throw is faster than the strong throw and that can make the difference (I was quite unimpressed with myself when I finally figured this out). Pressing down will make kratos 180 to look behind himself almost immediately. Sometimes you can line up the axe behind the bell and ting it with a recall, that gives you lots of time to get the other two.

Realm tears are just annoying. Never know if they are too high level until after they kill you. Sometimes you can cheese the fights though.

Edit- just to save some time on what you can do and when, spoiler free except for gameplay mechanics but you decide if you want to read it. I know I was annoyed about not always being sure if a puzzle was a come back later thing or if I just needed to think harder think
Spoiler

This post has been edited by Cause: 05 July 2018 - 01:18 PM

#111 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 05 July 2018 - 01:28 PM

Those things in the spoiler are good to know. I've been hacking away at vines to try and get to chests or what have you. Gave up eventually.

Not sure what you mean about heavy throw Vs light throw...
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#112 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 05 July 2018 - 02:54 PM

R2 and R1?

#113 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 05 July 2018 - 03:46 PM

Listen to Atreus. He will tell you if a puzzle (ex. chest, door, vines et. cetera) can be done yet. He'll something like "nothing more to do here" or "we can't go there/do that yet".

#114 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 06 July 2018 - 07:30 PM

Flipping heck. Alfheim is stunning! Those flying dark elves are insanely annoying.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#115 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 06 July 2018 - 08:02 PM

If you only knew what was ahead. Posted Image

The "abandon all hope, ye who enter here" never rung more true than in God of War (well probably games in the Dark Souls genre too *teehee Posted Image) I hope you have your shittin' pants on, cause you're gonna shit your pants.

#116 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 28 July 2018 - 09:17 AM

Well, since I last posted I have finally got the Chisel to get into hidden rooms and the like. Those two sons of Thor were really hard to beat, took a few tries. Managed to get a few side quests done too before I carve the rune to get to Jotunsheim.

Tried to defeat a Valkyrie. Nope. Could not beat her. Will probably come back and try again! Is there a way to beat her or is it just dodge and throw?
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#117 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 28 July 2018 - 10:26 AM

There's many valkyries. I haven't bothered fighting more than a few of them and never defeated any of the. I imagine I could have done it in the end game when I was all kitted out but they're tough as hell.

From what I understand some are easier than others. You can Google which are easiest.

#118 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 28 July 2018 - 05:03 PM

I've fought two of the Valkyries. One of the fights was not even a starter for me. She was too powerful. The other battle I got close after learning her pattern but she caught me near the end and I got frustrated and abandoned the fight. It was one of those deals were once you whittle their health down they change tactics. You definitely have to learn their patterns, and have the right combination of powerful gear. I haven't jumped back in to GoW since finishing the story, but if I do, I'll probably try to get at least one Valkyrie victory.

#119 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 28 July 2018 - 07:47 PM

Spoiler

Also with those gates that allow you to travel back to the centre of the lake - how come they are all locked? I mean I can use them to do that one journey into Brok's shop but otherwise they are unusable.

This post has been edited by Tiste Simeon: 28 July 2018 - 08:40 PM

A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#120 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 28 July 2018 - 08:20 PM

You should put that on a spoiler block.

That was probably my favourite surprise in the game. It was a real fist pump moment. Considering the press coverage I'd seen I had no idea.

There's a story related reason for the way The gates work as far as I recall. Wait and see.

Share this topic:

• 8 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users