• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

GOD OF WAR (2018) Father Son Vacation Simulator

#81 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 21 May 2018 - 12:23 PM

View PostAlternative Goose, on 21 May 2018 - 04:50 AM, said:

There's a chest puzzle in there that really had me stumped for five minutes.

View PostSerenity, on 21 May 2018 - 08:21 AM, said:

View PostMalankazooie, on 20 May 2018 - 08:35 PM, said:

Uh guys? Do I have to solve the puzzle of all puzzles!?

That was one of my favourite bits of the game.

Thing is, I was wholly focused on that and was trying all manner of triggering it and thinking I had to break through the layers by just continuing to throw my weapon at it. And then Atreus says, "hey, what's that over there". And then a light bulb goes off, and I was all like: oh yeah, that's it!

I like how throughout your travels, Atreus will offer help (through verbal clues and where he is looking) in solving puzzles and finding hidden objects.

#82 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 23 May 2018 - 08:00 AM

View PostAlternative Goose, on 17 May 2018 - 05:36 AM, said:

This article from Waypoint is an example of why I can't stand feminist commentary on video games:

https://waypoint.vice.com/en_us/article/wjb5jx/god-of-war-moms?utm_source-wptwitterus"

Big spoilers so don't read it unless you've finished the games storyline.

I continue to be amazed how feminist writers manage to twist any story into an affront against women. Somehow this writer manages to make the story not about the characters but about her own personal life.

That's a daft jump to make. Feminist commentary of games can be great, but this one isn't.
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#83 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 23 May 2018 - 08:57 AM

I'm sure it can, I just rarely come across it. Hence my dislike of it.

#84 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 24 May 2018 - 01:33 PM

Some random images of my experiences playing the game:

That feeling you get when you finally win that fight (on 'give me a challenge' difficulty)
Posted Image

Shhhhh, bless his widdle heart, he's sleeping. Ewww, wait a sec, what's that smell?! He's not seeping, he's dead!
Posted Image

Sssssssssnake!
Posted Image

#85 User is offline   champ 

• Omnipotent Overseer of the Universe
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 24 May 2018 - 03:15 PM

View Postchamp, on 21 May 2018 - 10:19 AM, said:

Does anyone else think that...
End game spoiler:

Spoiler

To further back this up... I was just reading:
Spoiler

Tehol said:

'Yet my heart breaks for a naked hen.'

#86 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 25 May 2018 - 01:55 AM

Did you guys notice when Atreus
Spoiler

#87 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 25 May 2018 - 10:25 AM

View Postchamp, on 24 May 2018 - 03:15 PM, said:

End game spoiler:

Spoiler

Spoiler

I think all that ... GIANT SPOILERS

Spoiler

View PostMalankazooie, on 25 May 2018 - 01:55 AM, said:

Spoiler

That bit pissed me off...

Spoiler

#88 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 25 May 2018 - 06:01 PM

View PostAlternative Goose, on 25 May 2018 - 10:25 AM, said:

Spoiler

Spoiler

I agree with you on the whole, that it was abrupt. Not so sure Kratos would respond the way you thought he should have though, especially in light of recent events -
Spoiler
- and so I think his quick to anger as been muted somewhat by that.

Also, think about if you were a little boy and you were told that information. And you've been fighting all manner of powerful creatures and beasts (and your skills have grown such that you've more then once saved your father's life). You'd probably go from the "what can I do with it" questioning, to, lets kick ass! But yeah, the abruptness is probably due to the constraints of it happening in a video game. Also, does the game give any clue to how long it's taking them to get to their destination? It could be that it's a journey of weeks and months. dunno really.

Also about -
Spoiler
- didn't Atreus exhibit that during their first troll encounter? When he was rage filled and he seemed to turn a different hue?

#89 User is offline   champ 

Posted 26 May 2018 - 09:04 AM

View Postchamp, on 24 May 2018 - 03:15 PM, said:

End game spoiler:

Spoiler

Spoiler

I think all that ... GIANT SPOILERS

Spoiler

Re: (I'd wrote a long reply but lost it so)

Spoiler

View PostMalankazooie, on 25 May 2018 - 06:01 PM, said:

Spoiler

Spoiler

I agree with you on the whole, that it was abrupt. Not so sure Kratos would respond the way you thought he should have though, especially in light of recent events -
Spoiler
- and so I think his quick to anger as been muted somewhat by that.

I agree with both of the above, the sudden shift felt disjointed and forced. I thought that Kratos wouldn't stand for that shit but...
Spoiler

I was going to add more but then I just watched this...
(MK - I wouldn't watch for spoilers until you've finished the game)

Grrr the embed video isn't working so:
Writer Youtube Interview

And it explains why in there, basically another level was meant to occur after that incident but it was cut so they had to paper over the cracks.

edit
Funny enough at the end off the video they also address the BIG SPOILER theory above I posted.

This post has been edited by champ: 26 May 2018 - 09:15 AM

Tehol said:

#90 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 29 May 2018 - 01:50 AM

Okay guys. Been progressing along, and avoiding spoilers.

So, what did you guys think about
Spoiler

#91 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 29 May 2018 - 07:10 AM

I hadn't thought of the symbolic nature of the action. That's a cool observation.

#92 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 29 May 2018 - 03:20 PM

It just seemed to me that they were doing more with that, trying to convey something deeper. I might be completely off down theory lane, but yeah, it just seemed to have more significance then just the actual task, so I thought I'd see what you guys think too.

#93 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 29 May 2018 - 06:36 PM

I just thought it was a cool video game puzzle but there could be more to it. I think it said more about the way Tyr thinks and how he tried to thwart Odin

#94 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 03 June 2018 - 05:17 PM

Can you guys guess where I'm at? Posted Image
Spoiler

This post has been edited by Malankazooie: 03 June 2018 - 09:31 PM

#95 User is offline   champ 

Posted 03 June 2018 - 06:14 PM

It's a beautiful and surprising ending, grats at getting there though I would spoiler that...

Tehol said:

#96 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 03 June 2018 - 09:57 PM

It's actually not the ending, but I spoilered it anyway.

Yep, I finished the game. There's a lot that I'm thinking about, so I will probably post more later. But in short, it is a wonderful game, with an excellent, succinct story. But within that simple story, the revealing (through the tales that are spoken as you travel), about the complex, sad and destructive history between the Aesir, Vanir, and Jötnar. Might be the best voice acting in a game too. It definitely should be considered in GOY discussion when we come to the end of 2018. And I would be so bold as to suggest it should be in the discussion as one of the best games of the current console cycle (PS4 / Xbox One / Nintendo Switch).

There's still a good amount of exploring I could do to go for 100% completion.
Spoiler

For example, I made an attempt at exploring
Spoiler
but the poison mist and the time it was taking fighting the enemies hurried my ass out of there. I think there is gear you can purchase that reduces the mist effect, and so giving you a fighter's chance.

By the way, did any of you guys
Spoiler

I tried a few times on the first one I came upon, even lowered my difficulty level all the way down, but was still unsuccessful. I'll probably look up some YouTube video that has tactics on how to do it.

Anyway, I'll probably take a break and come back to make an attempt at some of those things that show on the map as incomplete.

All in all, if you have a Playstation 4, you owe it to yourself to play this game. It's really good. And guys, play it on the "Give me a challenge" difficulty level. You're dropping $60 on these titles, make it a challenge and get the most bang for your buck, kay?

#97 User is offline   champ 

Posted 04 June 2018 - 02:48 PM

View PostMalankazooie, on 03 June 2018 - 09:57 PM, said:

There's still a good amount of exploring I could do to go for 100% completion.
Spoiler

That was the only thing I didn't do, I got up to around 30 odd without hunting for them but I am not going back searching for them now.
I may do it though if they bring in a New Game +.

For example, I made an attempt at exploring
Spoiler
but the poison mist and the time it was taking fighting the enemies hurried my ass out of there. I think there is gear you can purchase that reduces the mist effect, and so giving you a fighter's chance.

For that:
Spoiler

By the way, did any of you guys
Spoiler

I tried a few times on the first one I came upon, even lowered my difficulty level all the way down, but was still unsuccessful. I'll probably look up some YouTube video that has tactics on how to do it.

Try...

Spoiler

Tehol said:

#98 User is offline   Serenity 

• Saki!!!!!

Posted 12 June 2018 - 11:49 AM

New Game+ incoming:

http://www.kotaku.co...gn=buffer_kukfb

#99 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 13 June 2018 - 10:38 AM

My 2 year old nephew walked in on me playing god of war the other day. He loved it. He kept giggling and saying fighting, fighting every time I used the axe to smash a barrel or something. This amazes me for multiple reasons, one of the most important is why the hell does he know how to say fighting but cant say his own name or mine? Also find it interesting that he could understand what was going on but also was not worried by it.

He seemed to love it. He would ooh and aah and was rapt. I was gonna stop and take him away but my sister seemed to think it was fine. He really seemed to have no problems with it. He both did and don't understand what was happening.

#100 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 18 June 2018 - 11:24 AM

Okay I'm finished.

Good game. Which I could see how long I have taken (can you do this?).

I could see the plot fairly early. If you have even a basic understanding of norse mythology the plot is telegraphed quite nicely actually. I felt good to be able to see it not cheated
Spoiler
. I otherwise also very much enjoy the story and the different but familiar take on the norse Pantheon. They are dicks. Is it the pandaro taint? It seems to predate that. The graphics are amazing and the storyline good in general. Would have preferred a slightly bigger take on monsters and it lacks some of the OMFG scale of the boss fights in God of War 3. Love the take on the nine realms. Will be cool to see the rest.

It does have a few flaws however. The combat system: it has hints of depth and greatness but I think that for the most part, even in muspelheim trials, you can get away with just R1 and R2 attacks, a few arrows from Boy and runic attacks. Their is no really no need to get fancy. I practically ignore all fancy combos involving rage of Sparta, fist attacks or the guardian shield. The introduce enemies that are immune to the axe cold and two bosses have moments when they are immune to fire attacks but I think they could have expanded this. Also there is seldom a need to juggle enemies effectively so by mid game and onwards freezing enemies with axe throws, tossing people into the air or slamming them with shield sweeps to the legs are really unnecessary. I dislike the sorta open world, dark souls like aspect for one reason only and its the same complaint I had with assassins creed. Its your level not your skill that really locks you out of certain areas. I tried to kill a Valkyrie when I was level 3 and got whooped. When I came back as a lvl 6/7 I slaughtered the 6 in Midgard, alfheim and hellheim without a sweat. Similarly the final boss fight in the game was too easy, I think by the time I started it I was too high a lvl for what I should have been (this fight should always scale to your lvl I think). Robbed it of some excitement. Still most annoying of all was opening a realm tear is always just a random toss up between getting an encounter you can handle or having 3 lvl 8s pop out to kill you. Its not cool to find out too late you cant handle whats on the other end. I get the game is almost entirely one long uniterupted take but sometimes I would have been okay with a cutscene, fade to back, the game has already transported me across the entire map to where it now wants me to go.

Share this topic:

• 8 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users