Malazan Empire: Oathbringer... the abyssmal reading thread... - Malazan Empire

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Oathbringer... the abyssmal reading thread... Cosmere SPOILERS to wherever i'm at

#41 User is offline   20 Days of Sheep 

• Master of the Deck
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Drive by bye bye king

Posted 25 January 2018 - 03:45 AM

View PostAbyss, on 24 January 2018 - 04:45 AM, said:

Chapter ninetysomething....
Oh, we are in deep cosmere territory here...
Szeth just drew Nightblood and did something that read a lot like the colour magic from WARBREAKER.
Azure's hair is changing colour, and she's a world walker... WARBREAKER again. I'm going to laugh if she turns out to be Viv or Siri.
Azure, Adolin, and Kal all had the same sword teacher. Who may be another worldwalker.
...neat.
Also, holy crap the Skybreakers are way way ahead of the rest of the Radiants combined.

Very fun bit! To bad it only took 800+ pgs to get around to him. I get this was the proper time for him to show up but lots of Shallan could have been axed out without hurting anything and shortening the beast. I talk about some of this in other thread(nothing real in-depth just short and sweet typical BK)so make sure you read once complete.
Drive by bye bye king on my dumb horse

#42 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 26 January 2018 - 04:18 AM

Ch late 90s early 100s, Dalinar wants to kill someone/anyone, Adolin/Shallan/Kal/Azure are stuck in Shadesmar...

Ah, Nalan is back. Free ride's over Szeth.

..wait.... Zahel is frikkin VASHER (Nightblood to Szeth: Vasher was fun, now he teaches people how to use a sword)????? ...it's getting ridiculous how relevant Warbreaker is becoming... i swear next thing they're all going to end up transported to Elantris...

Now is Azure after him, or Nightblood?

I like the implications that flow from the chapter opener quotes about the Unmade... like one may be responsible for the Alethi 'thrill', and another is probably behind all those dying people predicting the future that The Diagram people are obsessing over.

SooOOOooo... Dalinar is a recovering sociopath, Shallan has multiple personalities, and Kaladin is manic depressive with PTSD. Oh, and Adolin is probably a narcissict. :)

I like how the spren in Roshar are just little pieces of much bigger critters back in Shademar. It makes the near random shapes of most of them more logical.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#43 User is offline   20 Days of Sheep 

• Master of the Deck
  • Drive by bye bye king

Posted 26 January 2018 - 04:25 AM

Pretty sure I told you he was Vasher back in WoR thread or someone else did? Though it was much harder to tell then.

#44 User is offline   20 Days of Sheep 

• Master of the Deck
  • Drive by bye bye king

Posted 26 January 2018 - 04:40 AM

This may jog some memory of it. In WoR he was playing some game that Lightsong and whatís her face played in Warbreaker and he spoke a bit about colors. Easy to miss compared with the straight up info in this book.

#45 User is offline   End of Disc One 

• House Knight

Posted 26 January 2018 - 02:27 PM

View PostBriar King, on 26 January 2018 - 04:25 AM, said:

Pretty sure I told you he was Vasher back in WoR thread or someone else did? Though it was much harder to tell then.

Yeah I don't think I personally figured out Vasher back in WoR, but a lot of people acted like it was obvious. It was definitely one of those theories that everyone accepted as true.

#46 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 26 January 2018 - 06:32 PM

View PostBriar King, on 26 January 2018 - 04:25 AM, said:

View PostBriar King, on 26 January 2018 - 04:40 AM, said:

This may jog some memory of it. In WoR he was playing some game that Lightsong and what's her face played in Warbreaker and he spoke a bit about colors. Easy to miss compared with the straight up info in this book.

You mentioned in spoilers he was a world walker but not who specifically, and I hadnít read Warbreaker at that point so the hints were lost on me.

#47 User is offline   Gabriele 

• High Fist
  • Interests:History, Archaeology, Photogrpahy, Writing, Opera, Traveling, Riding, Languages

Posted 29 January 2018 - 12:16 PM

View PostAbyss, on 26 January 2018 - 04:18 AM, said:

..wait.... Zahel is frikkin VASHER (Nightblood to Szeth: Vasher was fun, now he teaches people how to use a sword)????? ...it's getting ridiculous how relevant Warbreaker is becoming... i swear next thing they're all going to end up transported to Elantris...

I tried to read Warbreaker three times and could not get past those stupid girls. If they're going to play a larger role in the Cosmere, I'm outta there. Shallan is bad enough.

#48 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 29 January 2018 - 02:26 PM

View PostGabriele, on 29 January 2018 - 12:16 PM, said:

I tried to read Warbreaker three times and could not get past those stupid girls. If they're going to play a larger role in the Cosmere, I'm outta there. Shallan is bad enough.

I found WARBREAKER just barely ok. The best I could really say about it is that it was better than ELANTRIS, most of the time.

You could easily read the summaries of the main characters (Viv, Siri, Vasher, Nightblood) from the Coppermind (tho note the coppermind has stormlight spoilers on it now right thru OATH including re these characters) and skip the book, or skim-read it. And that just to know the context for when the characters show up in STORMLIGHT. They aren't the focus of the story by any means, at least not so far. I wouldn't think it's worth pitching the Cosmere for.

#49 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 29 January 2018 - 03:44 PM

ch 110ish...

Wow... Taravagian and the Diagramettes didn't just fuck with Dalinar. They well and truly fucked him over on every conceivable political level. All at once. So completely and simultaneously that its kind of stunning. Also kind of silly when even the characters themselves point out 'hey, doesn't anyone find it just a leeeetle suspicious that ALL this awful crap is ALL coming out at EXACTLY the same time' yet they still all play entirely into the bad guy's hands, but i'll let it pass because that's about how sophisticated these books ever get. I don't expect a political thriller.

Relatedly, I think Odium is totally behind the Diagram. The revelation about the unmade and the timing of the political move with the invasion is too close to be coincidence.

Speaking of the invasion, Odium taking over Amaram's entire Sadeas army in one fell swoop was brutal.

Oh, shit, ...Renarin...

Say what one will about Kal's moral issues, when he stops whining and throws down... like, say, against four fused... he delivers.

#50 User is offline   Gabriele 

• High Fist
  • Interests:History, Archaeology, Photogrpahy, Writing, Opera, Traveling, Riding, Languages

Posted 29 January 2018 - 04:28 PM

View PostAbyss, on 29 January 2018 - 02:26 PM, said:

I found WARBREAKER just barely ok. The best I could really say about it is that it was better than ELANTRIS, most of the time.

You could easily read the summaries of the main characters (Viv, Siri, Vasher, Nightblood) from the Coppermind (tho note the coppermind has stormlight spoilers on it now right thru OATH including re these characters) and skip the book, or skim-read it. And that just to know the context for when the characters show up in STORMLIGHT. They aren't the focus of the story by any means, at least not so far. I wouldn't think it's worth pitching the Cosmere for.

Elantris was a tad better than Warbreaker because of that priest - there was at least an interesting character.

I've read Oathbringer, so I'm not going to pitch the Cosmere. Yet. But my tolerance for unconvincing characters (esp. female ones tend to be an issue) and silly YA romance is not unlimited, and Sanderson is straining it. I never finished WoT for the same reason.

#51 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 29 January 2018 - 04:38 PM

View PostGabriele, on 29 January 2018 - 04:28 PM, said:

View PostAbyss, on 29 January 2018 - 02:26 PM, said:

Elantris was a tad better than Warbreaker because of that priest - there was at least an interesting character.

I've read Oathbringer, so I'm not going to pitch the Cosmere. Yet. But my tolerance for unconvincing characters (esp. female ones tend to be an issue) and silly YA romance is not unlimited, and Sanderson is straining it. I never finished WoT for the same reason.

ELANTRIS started on the wrong foot with me when I figured out the 'big twist' from the map on the first page. WARBREAKER mostly held my interest, mostly, but the ending was weak.

I found most character arcs in both books were predictable, trite even. Neither book was my intro to Sanderson... WoT was, and on the strength of his work there and recos here I read MISTBORN. By the time I got around to Elantris I was already a fan so I can't hold the author's early work against him.

That said, I'm not bothered by the Cosmere or SLA including these works/characters because I'm certain whatever Brandon does with the world/characters now will be radically better than he did then. Azure/Viv and Nightblood in OATHBRINGER both being great examples.

#52 User is offline   20 Days of Sheep 

• Master of the Deck
  • Drive by bye bye king

Posted 29 January 2018 - 04:40 PM

I found the politics completely laughable and boring. I think I rolled my eyes at the cheese hitting the fan.

#53 User is offline   20 Days of Sheep 

• Master of the Deck
  • Drive by bye bye king

Posted 29 January 2018 - 04:41 PM

Interesting knowledge came out of it for sure.

#54 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 29 January 2018 - 09:34 PM

Dalinar walking, alone, unarmed, unarmoured, into the wall breach to confront the voidbringer army, possessed Alethi and Odium, epic.

Lift popping up next to him, saying 'So... what's the plan?' ... PERFECT.

#55 User is offline   20 Days of Sheep 

• Master of the Deck
  • Drive by bye bye king

Posted 29 January 2018 - 09:48 PM

I donít think I have any respect whatsoever for Kaladin anymore. He finally became a beast after he went all stabby stab on Szeth(since changed*sigh) and he really was genuinely good in Slogbringer up to his complete bitch moment ďSTOP FIGHTING!Ē I had to set the book down for a few minutes then. I canít trust him or let myself feel any excitement at his cool combat style cause I wonder every time after the above moment if he will have another. I still hope he dies and Shallan(she is the worst character I have ever probably read)to for that matter and give the stage to Lift.

#56 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 30 January 2018 - 06:44 PM

Adolin"s deadeye jumping in to save him was a nice touch.

I liked that Kal actually couldn't say the next Ideal, even to save their lives. It was a swerve from the obvious last second save.

Lift... takes on a frikkin army.... by kneeboarding. I think I love her.

Odium revealing Dalinar was groomed to be his champion. True Oh Shit Moment.
Dalinar accepting his shitty history and telling Odium to go fuck himself. Awesome.
Dalinar takes a level in awesome, binds the three realms (or whatever), brings Kal n co home, and repowers all the good guys... EPIC FANTASY AWESOME.

Oh hey look at Navani ... so THAT's what a painrial does!

I could almost roll my eyes at Szeth's heel-face shift except that it does make sense for the character. And I liked how Nale, more or less a bad guy but not quite, effectively supported the move.
Also, when he drops in, saves Lift, and used Nightblood the massacre the fuck out of the Sadeas troops, I can forgive a lot.

Dalinar marshalling the Radiants (including two frikkin Heralds!) was like an episode of Justice League Unlimited where Superman rallies the superheroes to go save the world. It was cheesy and contrived and ridiculous and absolutely gloriously epic fantasy lit perfection.

Whoa, Jasnah, taking a level in asskickery. So that's what combat soulcasting looks like.

#57 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 31 January 2018 - 03:45 PM

Oh ouch, Adolin... that had to hurt. And that too. And that too. And that....

Wooo, go Teft!

Wooooo, go Renarin!!!

Woo. Go Shallan's emo issues.

#58 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 31 January 2018 - 06:46 PM

heehee... the humans were the monsters the entire time....

#59 User is offline   20 Days of Sheep 

• Master of the Deck
  • Drive by bye bye king

Posted 31 January 2018 - 10:50 PM

View PostAbyss, on 31 January 2018 - 03:45 PM, said:

Woo. Go Shallan's emo issues.

Iiiffff yyyooouuuu sssaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy soooooooooo

#60 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 12 February 2018 - 07:34 PM

Finished the earbook last week but wanted to reread some parts... let's move along...

I enjoyed this book. It was a solid entry in the series, and if it did not have quite the novelty or wow factor of PATH and WORDS, it did a lot to advance the overall story, had some fun world and cosmere developments, and held my attention right through. Was worth the money. The last 100 pages or so were pure epic fantasy crack and i listened to it twice then read it again. Brandon does epic SO MUCH EPICNESS.

PROLOGUE - Wow. Gavilar. You dick. Flat out telling the Parshmen he plans to bring back their evil horrible dominating gods... like that won't cause them to do exactly what they did. Which seems to have been the point, tho it seems Gav didn't think they would go for him directly. Taravangian denies having plaed Szeth with the Parshmen, so i have to wonder just who did prompt that turn of events.

DALINAR - i enjoyed Dalinar's parts of this book. The flashbacks were particularly interesting... we knew he was a badass, but didn't know just how bad, and how much of an ass. Evi... that was predictable, but suitably awful even so. I liked his evolution to politician, and how badly it actually went until he realized who and how he needed to lead - the Radiants, not the rulers.

KAL - gods, it's like Brandon needs to find something for Kal wo ceaselessly whine about every book. This time we got 'wah the lighteyes are all bad oh wait no they aren't waaah' along with some approximation of manic-depression. That aside, when he wasn't whining, Kal was glorious epic fantasy. Every time he powered up and threw down was a treat. Against the Fused, and especially against Ameram... damn those were fun. His trip home, his interactions with Adolin and Shallan and esp Sil... honestly when he's not whining he's one of my favorite parts of the book.

ADOLIN - ...came a looooong way in this book. I enjoyed his POVs, esp in Shademaar where he didn't have use of his sword. And yes, his sword-spren-deadeye jumping a Fused to save him was predictable as fuck and STILL AWESOME. Am still waiting for the boot to drop on his murdering Sadeas tho'. His interactions with the rest of the cast were also strong, esp the little asides with Skar and Leahy.

SHALLAN - I like the multiple personalty plotline. I do not like her angsting about it. I did enjoy her starting to cultivate her own group of Squires who are basically spies and criminals.

JASNAH - great character. We didn't see much of her but what we did (THAT FINALE!) just makes me want more. I really did think she was going to cut Renarin's head off for a minute there.

LIFT - stole every single scene she was in. I so love this character.

SZETH - so many interesting developments here... his induction but departure from the Skybreakers, his interactions with Nin, his interactions with Nightblood (who gets all the best lines), the revenlation that his people hold 8 Honor Blades and he's trained with all of them, and ultimately his swearing to Dalinar. A part of me doesn't like his joining the goodguys because he was a great badguy, but it does make sense.

AZURE/VIV - i was not expecting the amount of WARBREAKER refs, but even so it worked, and i hope we see her again. I'd like to find our how she went from Vasher's sidekick to tripping across the Cosmere.

TARAVANGIEN - Despite how much i like the concept of the Diagram, I only liked, did not love his segments. It seemed like we did not see/learn much new stuff until the very end when he throws in with Odium. I did like the bit where his brilliant/future self tells his present/stupid self what to say there tho. That was a nice twist and i wish we had more of that, less base scheming.

MOASH - Enjoyed his segments. The run from rebel shardbearer to slave to kingkiller to Odium's radiant... yeah, that was well done.

TEFT - the drug addition angle wasn't all that novel, but i liked how he struggled against becoming a radiant before accepting the role when the city was in danger.

More later.

Share this topic:

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users