Malazan Empire: Oathbringer... the abyssmal reading thread... - Malazan Empire

Jump to content

  • 4 Pages +
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Oathbringer... the abyssmal reading thread... Cosmere SPOILERS to wherever i'm at

#1 User is offline   Abyss 

  • abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Posts: 17,981
  • Joined: 22-May 03
  • Location:The call is coming from inside the house!!!!
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 11 January 2018 - 06:42 PM

I'm about a third of the way through OATHBRINGER... time to share.

As usual, my thread, my read, my rules, spoilers are for the ENTIRE COSMERE THING... yes, everything to date, with OATHBRINGER spoilers only to wherever i'm at in the book.

I'll update when i'm done, if you want to discuss the whole book, go start your own damn thread....


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I'm at about a third of the way through the book, just past the end of Part 1... Yasnah's back, Kaladin too, Dalinar has been bringing people into his visions.... probably not shocking given that i don't tend to read through books i dislike, i'm enjoying this very much.

PROLOGUE: Oh holy fuck that was a revelation. The whole thing was Gavilar's fault!!!! No kidding the Parshendi sent is their (really really conveniently just purchased but won't overthink it) assassin, he flat out told the translator he was planning on bringing back their evil horrible enslaving murder gods.
Unless there was more at work there, but i'm sceptical, i think Gavilar fully expected the Parshendi to lose their shit, but didn't expect them to have a frikkin Surgebinder assassin handy.

DALINAR: I don't see why people dislike the Dalinar flashbacks. They're action intensive, bloody, and show just how much of a hardcase the Blackthorn was, as well as his shift away from that. His 'present day' efforts at being a politician are predictably failing. I enjoyed the moment when he stopped trying to be nice and started forcing people to experience the dead god visions.

SHALLAN: Other than that i seriously doubt any of this reflects how multiple personalities work, i'm enjoying her storyline. The flirtation with Adolin works, her experimentation with her powers, and being a badass, make sense, and the narrative is surprisingly engaging. I can even accept the fact she really should be telling Dalinar and co about the Ghostbloods but isn't because reasons. Mostly. With Jasnah back, not so sure that still flies. I enjoyed the confrontation with the evil shadow mommy spren. Also, Pattern is funny.

ADOLIN: Oh dear gods this is all going to implode horribly and i can't look away. I like the character but he's high on my 'most likely to fuck everything up and then die as a dramatic plot development' list.

KALADIN: While i enjoyed Kaladin's return home and his ongoing banter with Syl is enjoyable, he's pissing me off. Travel with the Parshendi, sure, empathize with them, ok... but training them? Seriously?
Also, his repeated and vacuous statements that teaching Bridge 4 surgebinding will protect them all pretty much guarantees the entire crew is due for a massive bloody ugly deathpocalypse by the end of the book. Kal's whining has always been a low point in this series for me and while he's not quite as consistently irritating this time, it's still there.
Better was Kal vs flying voidbringers who don't know how to fly. Yet. THAT will be an interesting development.


Other bits...

Queen Threnn in Dalinar's vision rallying the townpeople to drive back the shadow thingies... neat.

Nice guy Sadeas in the flashbacks is jarring.

Dalinar returning Oathbringer to Sadeas' widow made perfect sense but a little part of me was all 'NO GIVE IT TO SOMEONE ELSE ANYONE ELSE NOT FUCKING AMERAN!'.

Shallan/Veil getting hammered and stabbing people is fun.

I like how Renarin is just barely getting by in all things, but refuses to give up.



CHASE: Paw Patrol is ready for action Mr Pust sir!
PUST: *pauses ranting* What does that mean?
ZUMA: It means let's dive in, dude!
PUST: What? What is a dude? WHAT DOES THAT EVEN MEAN?????
-The Malazan Book of the Paw Patrol
-1

#2 User is offline   End of Disc One 

  • House Knight
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Posts: 1,662
  • Joined: 30-January 06

Posted 11 January 2018 - 07:11 PM

Glad you're enjoying it. I think it's a great book as long as you're patient with it. For example there was one thing about Part 2 that I loved, but if you're rushing you'll probably just be frustrated by the slowness.
-1

#3 User is offline   Lady Bliss 

  • Shameless Minister of Silly Catwalks of the Abyssmal Army
  • Group: The Abyssmal Army
  • Posts: 271
  • Joined: 08-December 11
  • Location:New York

Posted 11 January 2018 - 08:24 PM

I loved the book! I bought it at 6 am at the airport, and by the time that I landed on the east coast I was already 300+ pages in. I never felt like it was slow personally.
"If you prick us do we not bleed? If you tickle us do we not laugh? If you poison us do we not die? And if you wrong us shall we not revenge?" - Shylock
0

#4 User is online   PARADISE is here bitches 

  • Master of the Deck
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Posts: 15,830
  • Joined: 27-March 08
  • Location:Lake Charles, Louisiana

Posted 11 January 2018 - 09:39 PM

Ahh another Slogbringer thread. The pain is renewed.

I love Dalinar. He is still my favorite of the series and his early Blackthorn days were very cool.
-1

#5 User is offline   Andorion 

  • God
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Posts: 4,065
  • Joined: 30-July 11
  • Interests:All things Malazan, sundry sci-fi and fantasy, history, Iron Maiden

Posted 12 January 2018 - 01:45 AM

View PostAbyss, on 11 January 2018 - 06:42 PM, said:

I'm about a third of the way through OATHBRINGER... time to share.

As usual, my thread, my read, my rules, spoilers are for the ENTIRE COSMERE THING... yes, everything to date, with OATHBRINGER spoilers only to wherever i'm at in the book.

I'll update when i'm done, if you want to discuss the whole book, go start your own damn thread....


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I'm at about a third of the way through the book, just past the end of Part 1... Yasnah's back, Kaladin too, Dalinar has been bringing people into his visions.... probably not shocking given that i don't tend to read through books i dislike, i'm enjoying this very much.

PROLOGUE: Oh holy fuck that was a revelation. The whole thing was Gavilar's fault!!!! No kidding the Parshendi sent is their (really really conveniently just purchased but won't overthink it) assassin, he flat out told the translator he was planning on bringing back their evil horrible enslaving murder gods.
Unless there was more at work there, but i'm sceptical, i think Gavilar fully expected the Parshendi to lose their shit, but didn't expect them to have a frikkin Surgebinder assassin handy.

DALINAR: I don't see why people dislike the Dalinar flashbacks. They're action intensive, bloody, and show just how much of a hardcase the Blackthorn was, as well as his shift away from that. His 'present day' efforts at being a politician are predictably failing. I enjoyed the moment when he stopped trying to be nice and started forcing people to experience the dead god visions.

SHALLAN: Other than that i seriously doubt any of this reflects how multiple personalities work, i'm enjoying her storyline. The flirtation with Adolin works, her experimentation with her powers, and being a badass, make sense, and the narrative is surprisingly engaging. I can even accept the fact she really should be telling Dalinar and co about the Ghostbloods but isn't because reasons. Mostly. With Jasnah back, not so sure that still flies. I enjoyed the confrontation with the evil shadow mommy spren. Also, Pattern is funny.

ADOLIN: Oh dear gods this is all going to implode horribly and i can't look away. I like the character but he's high on my 'most likely to fuck everything up and then die as a dramatic plot development' list.

KALADIN: While i enjoyed Kaladin's return home and his ongoing banter with Syl is enjoyable, he's pissing me off. Travel with the Parshendi, sure, empathize with them, ok... but training them? Seriously?
Also, his repeated and vacuous statements that teaching Bridge 4 surgebinding will protect them all pretty much guarantees the entire crew is due for a massive bloody ugly deathpocalypse by the end of the book. Kal's whining has always been a low point in this series for me and while he's not quite as consistently irritating this time, it's still there.
Better was Kal vs flying voidbringers who don't know how to fly. Yet. THAT will be an interesting development.


Other bits...

Queen Threnn in Dalinar's vision rallying the townpeople to drive back the shadow thingies... neat.

Nice guy Sadeas in the flashbacks is jarring.

Dalinar returning Oathbringer to Sadeas' widow made perfect sense but a little part of me was all 'NO GIVE IT TO SOMEONE ELSE ANYONE ELSE NOT FUCKING AMERAN!'.

Shallan/Veril getting hammered and stabbing people is fun.

I like how Renarin is just barely getting by in all things, but refuses to give up.





Agree with you totally regarding the Dalinar and Shallan sections.
0

#6 User is online   PARADISE is here bitches 

  • Master of the Deck
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Posts: 15,830
  • Joined: 27-March 08
  • Location:Lake Charles, Louisiana

Posted 12 January 2018 - 03:55 AM

Hurry up and read it already so I can bitch!
0

#7 User is online   PARADISE is here bitches 

  • Master of the Deck
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Posts: 15,830
  • Joined: 27-March 08
  • Location:Lake Charles, Louisiana

Posted 12 January 2018 - 04:19 AM

View PostEnd of Disc One, on 11 January 2018 - 07:11 PM, said:

Glad you're enjoying it. I think it's a great book as long as you're patient with it. For example there was one thing about Part 2 that I loved, but if you're rushing you'll probably just be frustrated by the slowness.


Tag what your talking about in the main. I was definitely struggling to care from about pg 250 onwards.
0

#8 User is offline   Abyss 

  • abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Posts: 17,981
  • Joined: 22-May 03
  • Location:The call is coming from inside the house!!!!
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 12 January 2018 - 03:11 PM

Ch 40something...

Rock's family showing up... entirely too cute for words. His wife took out a voidbringer with one arrow! His observation of the spren watching Bridge 4 train was interesting.

Yasnah and Shallan are really going to have to sort some shit out.

Ok... the Stormking's explanation for the Desolations was entirely too much info-dump, but did crystallize a lot of what we already figured out and lets us move things along.

Taft... this is going to end badly.

Kal, Adolin, Adalar mission to open oathgate in Alethkar... likely to end badly.

Shallan/Veil recruiting her own 'network'... may not end badly.

Shallan's bro was one of Nale's Skybreakers, likely recruited in error thinking he was bonding a spren while it was Shallan all along... hmm...

Oh hi Moash. You're still a dick.


...and we have Lift returning to the story. AND IT WAS AWESOME. Seriously, she's the only character who could say 'You're too old to have such a nice butt' to Dalinar and make it work. I was grinning ear to ear listening to that scene. So glad she's (maybe) starting to integrate with the rest of the cast.
CHASE: Paw Patrol is ready for action Mr Pust sir!
PUST: *pauses ranting* What does that mean?
ZUMA: It means let's dive in, dude!
PUST: What? What is a dude? WHAT DOES THAT EVEN MEAN?????
-The Malazan Book of the Paw Patrol
0

#9 User is offline   Chance 

  • Emperor
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Posts: 724
  • Joined: 28-October 05
  • Location:Gothenburg, Sweden

Posted 12 January 2018 - 03:33 PM

View PostBriar King, on 11 January 2018 - 09:39 PM, said:

I love Dalinar. He is still my favorite of the series and his early Blackthorn days were very cool.


I have such a difficult time with Dalinar. Those early days chapters of him are awesome in a terrifying way and sometimes that is present in the current day chapters while he mostly looks weak, whiny and stupid.

Mild spoiler possibly.
Spoiler


LATER BOOK SPOILERS DELETED - MY THREAD... MINE.

Sometimes I'm pretty sure he is just what his political enemies say he is with the added benefit of being choosen by GOD and therefore its all okey. Its a bit too old testament for me but a lot of Sandersons writing actually feel bible inspired so its not that much of a surprise.

This post has been edited by Abyss: 12 January 2018 - 04:14 PM

0

#10 User is offline   Abyss 

  • abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Posts: 17,981
  • Joined: 22-May 03
  • Location:The call is coming from inside the house!!!!
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 12 January 2018 - 04:17 PM

View PostChance, on 12 January 2018 - 03:33 PM, said:

...Sometimes I'm pretty sure he is just what his political enemies say he is with the added benefit of being choosen by GOD and therefore its all okey. Its a bit too old testament for me but a lot of Sandersons writing actually feel bible inspired so its not that much of a surprise.


It's the combination of 'I'm on a mission from God' with '...who happens to be not God and also, dead' that i actually enjoy. It adds a fun theological element to all the opposition Dalinar is facing... at this stage, even his allies don't quite believe him.
CHASE: Paw Patrol is ready for action Mr Pust sir!
PUST: *pauses ranting* What does that mean?
ZUMA: It means let's dive in, dude!
PUST: What? What is a dude? WHAT DOES THAT EVEN MEAN?????
-The Malazan Book of the Paw Patrol
0

#11 User is online   PARADISE is here bitches 

  • Master of the Deck
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Posts: 15,830
  • Joined: 27-March 08
  • Location:Lake Charles, Louisiana

Posted 12 January 2018 - 04:44 PM

If your on 40 then this should be easy.

Do you agree or not that Slogbringer is BSís most sexual book?
0

#12 User is offline   Abyss 

  • abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Posts: 17,981
  • Joined: 22-May 03
  • Location:The call is coming from inside the house!!!!
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 12 January 2018 - 04:58 PM

View PostBriar King, on 12 January 2018 - 04:44 PM, said:

If your on 40 then this should be easy.

Do you agree or not that Slogbringer is BS's most sexual book?


Other than Shallan drooling over Adolin and Kaladin, and some minor groping between Dalinar and Navani, what's sexual?

I'm pretty sure MISTBORN got gropier by the end of the first trilo and possibly moreso in the WAX n WAYNE books.



CHASE: Paw Patrol is ready for action Mr Pust sir!
PUST: *pauses ranting* What does that mean?
ZUMA: It means let's dive in, dude!
PUST: What? What is a dude? WHAT DOES THAT EVEN MEAN?????
-The Malazan Book of the Paw Patrol
0

#13 User is online   PARADISE is here bitches 

  • Master of the Deck
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Posts: 15,830
  • Joined: 27-March 08
  • Location:Lake Charles, Louisiana

Posted 12 January 2018 - 05:21 PM

He seemed to use some much sexier language in Slog then others.

To me
0

#14 User is offline   End of Disc One 

  • House Knight
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Posts: 1,662
  • Joined: 30-January 06

Posted 12 January 2018 - 05:45 PM

I also thought Oathbringer was more sexual than most of his books. Warbreaker too.

I can't remember if Oathbringer had a dick joke or not. I know one of the Wax & Wayne books did, so did Edgedancer.
0

#15 User is offline   Abyss 

  • abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Posts: 17,981
  • Joined: 22-May 03
  • Location:The call is coming from inside the house!!!!
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 12 January 2018 - 05:46 PM

is this all about Lift admiring Dalinar's butt?
CHASE: Paw Patrol is ready for action Mr Pust sir!
PUST: *pauses ranting* What does that mean?
ZUMA: It means let's dive in, dude!
PUST: What? What is a dude? WHAT DOES THAT EVEN MEAN?????
-The Malazan Book of the Paw Patrol
0

#16 User is online   PARADISE is here bitches 

  • Master of the Deck
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Posts: 15,830
  • Joined: 27-March 08
  • Location:Lake Charles, Louisiana

Posted 12 January 2018 - 06:16 PM

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!


That was absolutely the most amusing neg I have ever gotten.

I got plenty more whining to do about Slogbringer so prepare for more stupid incoming shortly.
0

#17 User is offline   Abyss 

  • abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Posts: 17,981
  • Joined: 22-May 03
  • Location:The call is coming from inside the house!!!!
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 12 January 2018 - 07:32 PM

Ah Moash.... just not cut out for the shardbearer thing, were you?

I enjoyed his fight w the fused tho'... the bit where he ditches the shardblade, grabs up a spear and uses techniques that worked against Kaladin was a nice touch.



CHASE: Paw Patrol is ready for action Mr Pust sir!
PUST: *pauses ranting* What does that mean?
ZUMA: It means let's dive in, dude!
PUST: What? What is a dude? WHAT DOES THAT EVEN MEAN?????
-The Malazan Book of the Paw Patrol
0

#18 User is online   PARADISE is here bitches 

  • Master of the Deck
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Posts: 15,830
  • Joined: 27-March 08
  • Location:Lake Charles, Louisiana

Posted 12 January 2018 - 08:44 PM

View PostAbyss, on 12 January 2018 - 07:32 PM, said:

Ah Moash.... just not cut out for the shardbearer thing, were you?

I enjoyed his fight w the fused tho'... the bit where he ditches the shardblade, grabs up a spear and uses techniques that worked against Kaladin was a nice touch.


I thought that was one of the nifty moments in Slogbringer considering it was such a importantish plot point in WOR.

Just POOF
0

#19 User is offline   Abyss 

  • abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Posts: 17,981
  • Joined: 22-May 03
  • Location:The call is coming from inside the house!!!!
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 14 January 2018 - 04:25 AM

I donít care what issues anyone had with the book, if you didnít get the feels when Skar figured out how to huff Stormlight, you are cold and dead inside.
CHASE: Paw Patrol is ready for action Mr Pust sir!
PUST: *pauses ranting* What does that mean?
ZUMA: It means let's dive in, dude!
PUST: What? What is a dude? WHAT DOES THAT EVEN MEAN?????
-The Malazan Book of the Paw Patrol
0

#20 User is online   PARADISE is here bitches 

  • Master of the Deck
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Posts: 15,830
  • Joined: 27-March 08
  • Location:Lake Charles, Louisiana

Posted 14 January 2018 - 04:41 AM

I kinda wish you had the physical. The chapter pics for them have a Bridge Four uniform jacket. I enjoyed those.
0

Share this topic:


  • 4 Pages +
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users