• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Weinstein Celebrity Dead Pool

#401 User is offline   Nevyn 

• Shield Anvil
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 19 January 2018 - 12:02 AM

View Postworry, on 18 January 2018 - 11:05 PM, said:

I don't think we disagree 100%, and I don't distrust most people here on the board from being able to discern nuance or set priority. But just imagine the entire right wing media machine referring to the Grace article now as "fake news", using Ashleigh Banfield's monologues and the "Aziz isn't a mind reader" article as cover, and see if that doesn't send a chill up your spine. Cuz -- and I don't mean to speak for him, this is my reading -- I think that's what QT is getting at. These hacks are generating minor-point takes on marginal aspects of the issue, and it is giving an inch to people who will take a mile and run with it.

The alt right is gonna do what its gonna do, and those who listen were never going to take the matter seriously to start with.
Tatts early in SH game: Hmm, so if I'm liberal I should have voted Nein to make sure I'm president? I'm not that selfish

Tatts later in SAME game: I'm going to be a corrupt official. I have turned from my liberal ways, and now will vote against the pesky liberals. Viva la Fascism.
When Venge's turn comes, he will get a yes from Mess, Dolmen, Nevyn and Venge but a no from the 3 fascists and me. **** with my Government, and i'll **** with yours

#402 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 19 January 2018 - 12:12 AM

I don't disagree, but I didn't mention the alt-right, and they're not my concern here.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#403 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

• Malazan Yo Yo Champion 2009
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 19 January 2018 - 07:23 AM

There is obviously a massive cohort of people out there who want #MeToo to go away so that we can revert to the status quo. Centuries of behind closed doors behaviour where women have been pressured into all sorts of horror. It's going to take a seismic movement to stop that and that is why I think Worry and QT are asking why focus on petty details? Which I wholeheartedly agree with.

It's a funny topic this particular one. I don't often take part in discussions because I'm very attached to my own opinions but I keep swinging on this as I read different arguments. There is something about this story that is hard to get your head around and I'm trying to work out what it is. A lot of the think pieces it has generated say every woman has a similar story and I do too. I never thought of it as a big deal and try as I might I still don't. So I've been wondering if allowing this behaviour in society is so ingrained that I can't even see when I'm some kind of victim because if I had the choice I would erase that night from my past but my reaction has always been to laugh and say I was an idiot for getting myself into that situation.
Burn rubber =/= warp speed

#404 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 19 January 2018 - 08:14 AM

Now I'm starting to second guess myself, not on the wider point, but on if I'm coming off harsher than I mean to be. Like the term "petty details" -- I don't mean to call anyone here petty, even as I agree (wholeheartedly! good word for it!) with QT about substantially different levels of priority. But am I being overly semantic now, and you just meant it colloquially as a synonym for 'marginal'? Or have I created lifetime blood oath enemies?

On another note, your second paragraph reminded me I wanted to post this essay from today (it's 3-4 minutes' read, not super long): https://www.vox.com/...xual-harassment
The original Grace story used the term "sexual assault" and you mention the word "victim" and I think both are heavy, scary words that pack a lot of punch, get people's defenses (and offenses) up, and lead people to think of extreme situations. All of which is perfectly understandable. How wide a net do we want to cast with either of those terms? I do think the HuffPost article I posted a few pages back does an especially good job of explaining how the conversation can't just stop at the monsters, and while consequences for the worst offenders are part of the movement, the broader sea change you talk about has to be, and is, the long term goal.

This Vox article does a deeper dive on those points in particular, and deflates the weird-ass false alarm over Fem-McCarthyism and how caricaturizing of (young) women this reaction is.

@BK: it includes a link to some of the Ashleigh Banfield stuff...and apparently she's on HLN, which is related to CNN I think? Here's the link, and there's video of the segment at the bottom: https://www.hollywoo...ovement-1074877
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#405 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

• Malazan Yo Yo Champion 2009
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 19 January 2018 - 08:34 AM

Don't get hung up on any one particular word or phrase I use because I rarely think hard before I speak/type :)

Edit to add - although actually now I think about it I do personally think they are petty details when weighed against the whole history of subjugation of women! But it is a very tricky topic and I keep wanting to reference the many shades of grey involved but that is a phrase I do think about due to those goddamned books.

This post has been edited by Mezla PigDog: 19 January 2018 - 08:38 AM

Burn rubber =/= warp speed

#406 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 19 January 2018 - 09:38 AM

This whole case is making me feel very conflicted in that for the first time in the story of MeToo I find myself feeling sympathy for the, hm, accused. I think Worry is right in that part of the issue is the use of some phrases in the original article. The date, how different it was from the perspective of the two participants, that is a meaningful and important conversation I think. But that conversation falls to the wayside when Ansari is accused of committing sexual assault. I don't think this should be labeled as sexual assault. My awful date with Aziz Ansari is a good starting point for a discussion, the night i was sexually assaulted by Aziz Ansari isn't.

I think the distinction is important because Ansari is a person too, and despite being the worst date of this woman's life, I feel sorry for him and how his immature sexual behaviour has been presented for all the world to see in detail.
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#407 User is offline   Centzon Totochtin 

• For Pony!
  • Interests:Stuff, and sometimes also things.
  • Bunnies!

Posted 19 January 2018 - 12:15 PM

Morgoth has put my thoughts into words I wasn't able to find. I feel it is a very important distinction. Not to diminish that it may have been the worst she has felt, but to be clear that there is a difference. I don't like to play the "my worst is worse than your worst game" as I think it is unfair to peoples life experiences, however as someone who has been a victim of sexual assault and rape, they are a different experience to the one described in this case I believe.

I feel like these are all different sides of the discussion regarding our society and the need for changes in the way we treat other human beings. Happy to add my perspective to these things if people are interested I generally don't comment as it is rather a charged issue which I have a very personal experience of.
That Elephant is looking rather frayed at the edges

#408 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 19 January 2018 - 12:26 PM

Is this an example of 3rd or 4th level analysis? I read in the comments that "Grace" has been named - no idea if it's true or not.

https://www.theatlan...x-panic/550547/

and when fiction may be a gentler method of achieving a similar end:

https://www.theatlan...acklash/550559/

This post has been edited by Tsundoku: 19 January 2018 - 12:29 PM

"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#409 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 19 January 2018 - 07:07 PM

View PostCentzon Totochtin, on 19 January 2018 - 12:15 PM, said:

Morgoth has put my thoughts into words I wasn't able to find. I feel it is a very important distinction. Not to diminish that it may have been the worst she has felt, but to be clear that there is a difference. I don't like to play the "my worst is worse than your worst game" as I think it is unfair to peoples life experiences, however as someone who has been a victim of sexual assault and rape, they are a different experience to the one described in this case I believe.

I feel like these are all different sides of the discussion regarding our society and the need for changes in the way we treat other human beings. Happy to add my perspective to these things if people are interested I generally don't comment as it is rather a charged issue which I have a very personal experience of.

Thanks to you for speaking here. It's really useful to hear from you and Mezla on this and other things.

And yes, Grace's real identity has been slathered all over 4chan and several other places of that kind. That's one of the ways Way and the editors at Babe dot net failed Grace.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#410 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 19 January 2018 - 07:14 PM

View Postamphibian, on 19 January 2018 - 07:07 PM, said:

View PostCentzon Totochtin, on 19 January 2018 - 12:15 PM, said:

Thanks to you for speaking here. It's really useful to hear from you and Mezla on this and other things.

And yes, Grace's real identity has been slathered all over 4chan and several other places of that kind. That's one of the ways Way and the editors at Babe dot net failed Grace.

Wait, someone at babe.net doxxed Grace to the 4Channers? Source? Proof of that?
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#411 User is offline   Nevyn 

• Shield Anvil

Posted 19 January 2018 - 07:40 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 19 January 2018 - 07:14 PM, said:

I would guess its much more that people put it together due to details in the article, including her occupation and working a specific awards after party. But I'm not going into those corners of the internet to find out more about what happened, so I could be wrong

This post has been edited by Nevyn: 19 January 2018 - 07:40 PM

Tatts early in SH game: Hmm, so if I'm liberal I should have voted Nein to make sure I'm president? I'm not that selfish

Tatts later in SAME game: I'm going to be a corrupt official. I have turned from my liberal ways, and now will vote against the pesky liberals. Viva la Fascism.
When Venge's turn comes, he will get a yes from Mess, Dolmen, Nevyn and Venge but a no from the 3 fascists and me. **** with my Government, and i'll **** with yours

#412 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit

Posted 19 January 2018 - 08:07 PM

View PostNevyn, on 19 January 2018 - 07:40 PM, said:

View PostQuickTidal, on 19 January 2018 - 07:14 PM, said:

I would guess its much more that people put it together due to details in the article, including her occupation and working a specific awards after party. But I'm not going into those corners of the internet to find out more about what happened, so I could be wrong

It's most likely this. But I too will not wade into those places to find out how many people found this out kinda sorta all at the same time. Or why those people think it's ok/good/fun to de-anonymize a person in this context.

#413 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 19 January 2018 - 08:39 PM

She had a twitter account where she referenced the #MeToo movement in a tweet a few months back and hinted at her situation (without the details) by naming Ansari in the tweet. She deleted the tweet, but much like anything on the internet was ignorant not to know that everything is permanent, whether you delete it or not.

#414 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 19 January 2018 - 11:29 PM

View PostMalankazooie, on 19 January 2018 - 08:39 PM, said:

She had a twitter account where she referenced the #MeToo movement in a tweet a few months back and hinted at her situation (without the details) by naming Ansari in the tweet. She deleted the tweet, but much like anything on the internet was ignorant not to know that everything is permanent, whether you delete it or not.

So probably not Babe.net's fault at all then? That sounds about right.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#415 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit

Posted 19 January 2018 - 11:45 PM

I think it's probable that Babe got tipped regarding the tweet, because they did approach Grace to tell her story rather than she to them, and then proceeded to not obscure enough of the identity that pretty much anyone with the time and the inclination could run through the demographic information Babe overshared.

It's clear from the lengths Grace went to obscure her identity that public anonymity was what she wanted. And that didn't happen among perhaps the worst crowds for the de-anonymizing to occur within.

#416 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 24 January 2018 - 09:29 PM

'Liz Lochhead recently called Burns "Weinsteinian" and "a sex pest", and prompted a controversy that has raged in the Scottish press for the past fortnight. Ahead of her talk on Burns and Women next week, Lochhead, the poet, playwright and former makar previewed her speech, in which she calls Burns a "sex pest" and drew attention to a 1788 letter to a friend in which he bragged of giving his lover Jean Armour a "thundering scalade [a military attack breaching defences] that electrified the very marrow of her bones", and said he "fucked her until she rejoiced".

For Lochhead, this "disgraceful sexual boast … seemed very like a rape of his heavily pregnant girlfriend. It's very, very Weinsteinian."

After her comments were aired on the BBC, Lochhead received support from Robert Crawford, whose biography of Burns quotes the letter, and who argued in the Herald that "what he presents as ... exclamations of pleasure may well have been cries of pain".

Burns did have "his Weinstein moments", Crawford agreed, and "feminists are right to subject [him] to scrutiny" when he comes across as "an 18th-century buck showing off [to] his male cronies".'

https://www.theguard...einian-sex-pest

On Ansari: is this part of the Babe article accurate? "[Ansari has] probably done more thinking about the nuances of dating and sex in the digital age than practically anyone else. He wrote a book about it, "Modern Romance", and it was a New York Times bestseller. Ansari built his career on being cute and nice and parsing the signals women send to men and the male emotions that result". If his career is in fact built on hypocrisy....

(Though in retrospect he might have been perfect for The Night Of.)

OTOH the allegations against Franco have been misleadingly reported and seem to have been taken out of context. (Example: How could taking his students to a strip club and encouraging them to remove their shirts have possibly been appropriate? They were in his class on Sex Scenes. Sketchy, possibly prurient and exploitative, but nowhere near Weinstein level, and arguably appropriate. My first university-level theater teacher encouraged all students to be naked. And we weren't even doing sex scenes (most of the time...).

It's also been reported that he "forced" a "mentee" to perform oral sex by "pushing her head down". In fact the woman was not a student or work relation, and they were already in a romantic relationship; and this a more accurate description of her account of what happened:

'They had begun a romantic relationship when she said he pressured her into performing oral sex on him — an act she'd never done with him at that point — while sitting in her car.

"I was talking to him, all of a sudden his penis was out," said Paley. "I got really nervous, and I said, 'Can we do this later?' He was kind of nudging my head down, and I just didn't want him to hate me, so I did it." She began to perform the sex act, but was uncomfortable. To extricate herself from the situation, she told Franco she spotted someone near the car. [...] Later, Paley said, she and Franco advanced their consensual sexual relationship. Today, she said she would have handled the encounter in the car differently, especially in the wake of the Weinstein scandal. "I would say, 'No, stop, get out of my car,'" she said. "The power dynamic was really off."'

http://www.latimes.c...-htmlstory.html

While bad in the same general way as Ansari, it seems nowhere near as bad in scale as what Ansari apparently did.

And complaints that he told students about roles for prostitutes doesn't seem so offensive or inappropriate given that he was working on an HBO series about prostitutes over the same time period. At least it doesn't seem hypocritical to quite the same extent as Ansari.)

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 24 January 2018 - 10:23 PM

#417 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 25 January 2018 - 01:51 PM

View PostBriar King, on 25 January 2018 - 04:36 AM, said:

Gymnastics Dr gets 175 year jail sentence. Good. Enjoy your cell fucker.

Yeah didn't one or two of them have NDA's or something so that when they tried to speak out they were threatened with massive fines for doing so? It's utterly mental that someone would even think of saying that! Glad he is locked up for the rest of his life now.

Though he would have got away with it if it wasn't for those medaling kids! :)
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#418 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 25 January 2018 - 02:02 PM

Not famous to anyone not Canadian....but Patrick Brown, leader of the Progressive Conservative party of Ontario (think: our milk toast version of "family values" style Republicans who are anything BUT that...) has been accused by two women of assault, and I think at least one of them was underage.

He has stepped down from leadership of the party, but is staying as an MPP (I don't think that will last long either to be honest).

It's weird, but every time I saw a campaign commercial for this guy, he SCREAMED "slimy" to me.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 25 January 2018 - 02:55 PM

#419 User is offline   Nevyn 

• Shield Anvil

Posted 25 January 2018 - 02:27 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 25 January 2018 - 02:02 PM, said:

Not famous to anyone not Canadian....but Patrick Brown, leader of the Progressive Conservative party of Canada (think: our milk toast version of "family values" style Republicans who are anything BUT that...) has been accused by two women of assault, and I think at least one of them was underage.

He has stepped down from leadership of the party, but is staying as an MPP (I don't think that will last long either to be honest).

It's weird, but every time I saw a campaign commercial for this guy, he SCREAMED "slimy" to me.

Brown is leader of the Ontario PC's.

There are no federal PC's thanks to various party mergers.

Never liked the guy, but there is an election coming very soon and a LOT of Ontarians are fed up with the Liberals. So a nice big hit to our voting alternatives. Seriously, the PCs haven't had a credible leader since John Tory (who ran a bad campaign regardless and is now a mediocre mayor of Toronto).

Also, its "milquetoast".

This post has been edited by Nevyn: 25 January 2018 - 02:35 PM

#420 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 25 January 2018 - 02:56 PM

View PostNevyn, on 25 January 2018 - 02:27 PM, said:

View PostQuickTidal, on 25 January 2018 - 02:02 PM, said:

Not famous to anyone not Canadian....but Patrick Brown, leader of the Progressive Conservative party of Canada (think: our milk toast version of "family values" style Republicans who are anything BUT that...) has been accused by two women of assault, and I think at least one of them was underage.

Brown is leader of the Ontario PC's.

There are no federal PC's thanks to various party mergers.

Never liked the guy, but there is an election coming very soon and a LOT of Ontarians are fed up with the Liberals. So a nice big hit to our voting alternatives. Seriously, the PCs haven't had a credible leader since John Tory (who ran a bad campaign regardless and is now a mediocre mayor of Toronto).

Also, its "milquetoast".

It was early and I was typing without having had my coffee. Corrected the party name.

And I know it's milquetoast....but I like milk toast better. It's funnier. Because it makes me picture boring milk and toast (no butter).

Also, you realize this means more Wynne right? No one is voting for that bowl of oatmeal Horwath....and the PC's aren't getting a new leader up and voted for by June...Brown is plastered across ALL their media....they are done this round. Prepare for more Kathleen bloody Wynne. Sidebar: I NEVER would have voted for the PCs anyways, and I don't vote NDP....so I'm part of the problem as I'll simply vote for Wynne again....even though I don't like her much....she's the least problematic for me as a vote.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 25 January 2018 - 02:59 PM

Share this topic:

• 62 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users