Posted 04 February 2018 - 07:01 PM

So, this seems relevant.

nytimes Uma Thurman
Screw you all, and have a nice day!

#442 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 04 February 2018 - 08:51 PM

Yah, I'm starting to think 'auteur' is a synonym for dirtbag.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#443 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail

Posted 04 February 2018 - 09:09 PM

View PostPrimateus, on 04 February 2018 - 07:01 PM, said:

So, this seems relevant.

nytimes Uma Thurman

This is an immense interview. Beyond the contemporary discussion of abuse and harassment, it unearths a lot of interesting things about Uma personally. She seems like a very intelligent, very self-aware person.

EDIT: Even after finishing it, though, I'm still not sure what her feelings are toward Quentin. How does she regard him now? An abuser? An objectifier? A friend? An artist who puts their vision ahead of others' humanity? I'd be very curious to know.

This post has been edited by Whisperzzzzzzz: 04 February 2018 - 09:11 PM

#444 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 05 February 2018 - 12:06 AM

View Postworry, on 04 February 2018 - 08:51 PM, said:

Yah, I'm starting to think 'auteur' is a synonym for dirtbag.

That explains Rian Johnson and TLJ. :(
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#445 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 05 February 2018 - 01:39 AM

When it comes to Star Wars I say "Make it rian!"

#446 User is offline   Nevyn 

• Shield Anvil

Posted 05 February 2018 - 02:03 AM

Worry has a fever, and the only prescription, is more absolutely terrible movies
Tatts early in SH game: Hmm, so if I'm liberal I should have voted Nein to make sure I'm president? I'm not that selfish

Tatts later in SAME game: I'm going to be a corrupt official. I have turned from my liberal ways, and now will vote against the pesky liberals. Viva la Fascism.
When Venge's turn comes, he will get a yes from Mess, Dolmen, Nevyn and Venge but a no from the 3 fascists and me. **** with my Government, and i'll **** with yours

#447 User is offline   crazymags 

• Recruit

Posted 05 February 2018 - 03:13 AM

Dennis Edwards died at the age of 74, 2 days ago.

#448 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 05 February 2018 - 04:45 AM

That's true and sad, but this thread is a different kind of death pool.

#449 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 05 February 2018 - 03:04 PM

View PostWhisperzzzzzzz, on 04 February 2018 - 09:09 PM, said:

View PostPrimateus, on 04 February 2018 - 07:01 PM, said:

So, this seems relevant.

nytimes Uma Thurman

This is an immense interview. Beyond the contemporary discussion of abuse and harassment, it unearths a lot of interesting things about Uma personally. She seems like a very intelligent, very self-aware person.

EDIT: Even after finishing it, though, I'm still not sure what her feelings are toward Quentin. How does she regard him now? An abuser? An objectifier? A friend? An artist who puts their vision ahead of others' humanity? I'd be very curious to know.

I've been waiting a long time for Quentin to be brought into the light for his shenanigans, which I knew were occurring. I realize that his abuse is a different kind...but the fact that he Enabled Weinstein, and is seemingly driven to abuse his own stars in other ways...he's cut from the same cloth...I knew there had to be a reason I disliked Tarantino.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#450 User is offline   Nevyn 

• Shield Anvil

Posted 05 February 2018 - 03:32 PM

Not a real celebrity, but since there are many Ontarians in here:

Steve Paikin accusations
Tatts early in SH game: Hmm, so if I'm liberal I should have voted Nein to make sure I'm president? I'm not that selfish

Tatts later in SAME game: I'm going to be a corrupt official. I have turned from my liberal ways, and now will vote against the pesky liberals. Viva la Fascism.
When Venge's turn comes, he will get a yes from Mess, Dolmen, Nevyn and Venge but a no from the 3 fascists and me. **** with my Government, and i'll **** with yours

#451 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 05 February 2018 - 08:22 PM

Some of the ones missed, probably because it's one person's accusation against another's denial:

- Scott Baio during Charles in Charge. An actress on the show has accused him.

- Fred Savage on the Wonder Years. The actress who played the mother says the show was prematurely cancelled because of ongoing accusations of harassment (which she described as ridiculous) against Savage.

Also, from the Bill and Ted movies, Alex Winter. He has come out with his own stories of being sexually abused during his child actor years.

I think one conclusion that can be drawn from this is that Hollywood is worse or as bad as the Catholic Church.

#452 User is offline   Nevyn 

• Shield Anvil

Posted 05 February 2018 - 09:59 PM

View Postworry, on 05 February 2018 - 04:45 AM, said:

That's true and sad, but this thread is a different kind of death pool.

Maybe Conan molested his remains ?

#453 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 05 February 2018 - 10:37 PM

NEVER! The only molestation my Consey does is to his own nipples. He gets them ready for his fans.
Posted Image

#454 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 06 February 2018 - 02:09 PM

So it turns out that the Tarantino thing has jostled out a 15 year old interview on Howard Stern where Tarantino sickly defends Roman Polanski. Fuck this guy. Fuck his films.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 06 February 2018 - 02:09 PM

#455 User is offline   Primateus 

• E Pluribus Anus
  • Interests:Stuff, lots of stuff!

Posted 06 February 2018 - 06:54 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 06 February 2018 - 02:09 PM, said:

Yeah, I'd like to think Tarantino is done! That after this, he's finished.
Screw you all, and have a nice day!

#456 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 06 February 2018 - 06:58 PM

View PostPrimateus, on 06 February 2018 - 06:54 PM, said:

Yeah, I don't think there is any amount of trying to walk this back in the current social climate and change. Combine this with the Uma Thurman thing....I think he's probably dropped off Hollywood's A, B And C list now.

Bottom line: When friggin Howard Stern (of all people) tells you you're wrong and you still challenge that to double down on your sick comments....you're the bad guy Tarantino.

#457 User is offline   Nevyn 

• Shield Anvil

Posted 06 February 2018 - 07:35 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 06 February 2018 - 06:58 PM, said:

View PostPrimateus, on 06 February 2018 - 06:54 PM, said:

Yeah, I don't think there is any amount of trying to walk this back in the current social climate and change. Combine this with the Uma Thurman thing....I think he's probably dropped off Hollywood's A, B And C list now.

Bottom line: When friggin Howard Stern (of all people) tells you you're wrong and you still challenge that to double down on your sick comments....you're the bad guy Tarantino.

I rather doubt the consequences will be that dire.

The Thurman car thing is a fairly typical director-actor story. Not the best look but nothing sexual. Just "I want you to do the stunt because its better for the film", and making a mistake as to how safe it is.

As to this interview, its not a good look, but Polanski has kept his directing career for 40 years despite everyone knowing he DID it. So talking about it isn't likely to do Quentin in.

#458 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 06 February 2018 - 08:00 PM

View PostNevyn, on 06 February 2018 - 07:35 PM, said:

As to this interview, its not a good look, but Polanski has kept his directing career for 40 years despite everyone knowing he DID it.

Only because Polanski is much out of the public eye in France, and was never dragged through the court system to the full extent of the laws in the state where he did the crime. Out of sight, out of mind.

That's not a good thing mind you....but it's what it is, or has been till now. I also think that Polanski no longer gets a pass with the movement being what it is.

View PostNevyn, on 06 February 2018 - 07:35 PM, said:

So talking about it isn't likely to do Quentin in.

I think you're underestimating the global resolve in this movement to not forgive enablers. This guy has three strikes in a period of about a month.

1. Enabling/allowing Weinstein to get away with what he got away with because it fuelled the writer/director dreams of a one-time Hollywood video store clerk.
2. The Thurman car crash thing.
3. Resurfacing an interview where he defends pedo behaviour, in which Howard Stern got the moral high ground.

People have gone down for less in this climate.

#459 User is offline   Nevyn 

• Shield Anvil

Posted 06 February 2018 - 08:04 PM

1. Enabling/allowing Weinstein to get away with what he got away with because it fuelled the writer/director dreams of a one-time Hollywood video store clerk.

To my knowledge the only published account of him knowing comes from 2001 (long after his writer/director dreams were on solid ground) and in which he actually confronted Weinstein, who then apologized to Thurman.

Not perfect behaviour, but there are probably hundreds of worse Weinstein enablers still working.

And the car crash thing may be a personal sticking point between Thurman and Tarantino, and even a civil liability matter, but has zero to do with #metoo.

View PostQuickTidal, on 06 February 2018 - 08:00 PM, said:

People have gone down for less in this climate.

Who?

And define "gone down"? This 'climate' is about 5 months old, the impact on anyone's careers long term is still unknown.

This post has been edited by Nevyn: 06 February 2018 - 08:20 PM

#460 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 06 February 2018 - 08:29 PM

View PostNevyn, on 06 February 2018 - 08:04 PM, said:

Who?

For enabling and defending abusers?

You can start with anyone still defending Woody Allen, I guess. The odds that Diane Keaton and Alec Baldwin won't have careers affected by their defense of the man, slim. I expect Keaton to get more of a pass than Baldwin (who gets into hot water over other shit he says/does)...but I'm fairly sure that it's going to affect them.

And define "gone down"?

Had their careers affected, either immediately or soon will. Hollywood in 2018 functions on word of mouth, dependability to remain out of scandals, and other things that have out of the movement. Being associated with the abusers in any way, let alone defending them...is bad press that no studios are going to want to touch.

Case in point: Will there be a 3rd season of Master Of None. I highly doubt it. Not because of what Aziz says happened on his date VS what his date said...but rather the optics of the situation already put it all in a bad enough light to make it a financial liability for Netflix.

This 'climate' is about 5 months old, the impact on anyone's careers long term is still unknown.

I mean, tell that to Kevin Spacey who was recast in a movie that was all but done in which he was the star (and in which it was also outed that Mark Wahlberg demanded high pay for his reshoots whole his female co-star did not....causing enough of a brouhaha to have him "donate" it to charity), and removed from the final season of his hit show.

Imagining that their careers won't be affected long term implies that Hollywood will go back to status quo and accept these people again.

They won't.

And if they somehow find a way to get back into the business....it will take a decade of quiet, off the famous-grid living, apologies, and self-introspection before it will be considered.

That's the whole point of a watershed movement like this. To make the change permanent so women no longer have to deal with this masculine bullshit.

So yeah, I think this makes Tarantino persona non grata, at least for the foreseeable future.

If I'm wrong (and I very much could be, not arguing that), then that means that things aren't changing as much as I thought. Which sucks.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 06 February 2018 - 08:33 PM

Share this topic:

• 62 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users