• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Weinstein Celebrity Dead Pool

#941 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

• Malazan Yo Yo Champion 2009
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 03 November 2020 - 11:51 AM

With the Johnny Depp stuff the testimony proves to me that the guy is at the very least a bit of a prick and needs to sort himself out. He used to be cool but now he's embarrassing. I feel like the way his character was portrayed by the evidence then on the balance of probabilities the judge made the right decision.
Burn rubber =/= warp speed

#942 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 03 November 2020 - 01:19 PM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 02 November 2020 - 10:35 PM, said:

I'd like to think our system is less horrendous than say the US but things like this do happen. Wouldn't be surprised if some of these people are mates with Murdoch or something.

I would hope so, yes...but yeah, a judge and a barrister being one degree of social separation from one person in the case? That's sketchy. I imagine that the reason it flew was because Depp was suing the Sun and nor Amber directly here. So maybe it's deemed less of a conflict of interest? Still Judge Nicol should have recused himself.

View PostTheRetiredBridgeburner, on 03 November 2020 - 07:50 AM, said:

Civil standard of proof in the UK is "on the balance of probabilities", whereas criminal proof is "beyond all reasonable doubt". Excuses nothing but it is a point the press keep glossing over/not mentioning.

This is the bit that gets me, they keep just saying Depp lost!....while ignoring the fact that the Judge disallowed/disregarded most of the expert witness evidence due to submittal time shenanigans, or that he deemed it "irrelevant", like Amber contradicting herself in given testimony about not being abusive VS the audio tapes where she admitted abuse.

View PostTheRetiredBridgeburner, on 03 November 2020 - 07:50 AM, said:

Still, I find it difficult to comprehend a judge thinking even the more lenient standard was met here - and I followed the live coverage of the case.

Agreed. And I spent the evening reading through his whole verdict...there's a LOT of "Depp's witnesses, testimony and evidence said _____ but Amber and her friends said _____ so that testimony is more believable to me." and more than a few instances of "I know the domestic violence police officers who arrived on scene said this" or "I know disassociated individuals who gave a sworn affidavits said this....but I disagree with them and ambiguity remains...because Amber and her friends said _____"

It's a REALLY weird verdict that seems designed to just hit the Sun's "he's a wife beater" bit and disregard most everything else. Which I guess was what this trial was about...but how he can disregard expert testimony like that is beyond me.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 03 November 2020 - 01:23 PM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#943 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 03 November 2020 - 01:24 PM

He's probably one of Rupert's mates as well. Same club and all that. That Depp isn't exactly ... our sort, you know? Jolly good, what?

This post has been edited by Tsundoku: 03 November 2020 - 01:25 PM

"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#944 User is offline   Imperial Historian 

• Master of the Deck
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 03 November 2020 - 10:52 PM

I think you'd be hard pressed to find many of the top lawyers, judges and professionals in any city who don't know each other socially.

The trial was about whether the sun was justified in reporting that he hit his wife. The balance of probability is that he may have.

I don't think anyone came out of it well except the lawyers.

#945 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 04 November 2020 - 09:28 AM

View PostImperial Historian, on 03 November 2020 - 10:52 PM, said:

I don't think anyone came out of it well except the lawyers.

That's why it's referred to as a "Legal system" as opposed to say ... a "Justice system". :p
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#946 User is offline   stone monkey 

• I'm the baddest man alive and I don't plan to die...
  • Group: Grumpy Old Sods

Posted 04 November 2020 - 11:33 PM

I'm not sure the lawyers came out of it well... But they certainly came out of it richer.
If an opinion contrary to your own makes you angry, that is a sign that you are subconsciously aware of having no good reason for thinking as you do. If some one maintains that two and two are five, or that Iceland is on the equator, you feel pity rather than anger, unless you know so little of arithmetic or geography that his opinion shakes your own contrary conviction. … So whenever you find yourself getting angry about a difference of opinion, be on your guard; you will probably find, on examination, that your belief is going beyond what the evidence warrants. Bertrand Russell

#947 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 06 November 2020 - 08:16 AM

View Poststone monkey, on 04 November 2020 - 11:33 PM, said:

I'm not sure the lawyers came out of it well... But they certainly came out of it richer.

A preferable option I say!
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#948 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 06 November 2020 - 09:13 AM

"The first thing we do, let's kill all the lawyers".

Gotta love the Bard.

:D

#949 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 09 November 2020 - 08:57 AM

View PostTsundoku, on 06 November 2020 - 09:13 AM, said:

Gotta love the Bard.

Objection!
Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#950 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 09 November 2020 - 09:27 AM

View PostMaark Abbott, on 09 November 2020 - 08:57 AM, said:

View PostTsundoku, on 06 November 2020 - 09:13 AM, said:

Gotta love the Bard.

Objection!

Overruled. The mob may continue with their purge.

#951 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight

Posted 09 November 2020 - 10:04 AM

I see Depp has been booted from Fantastic Beasts.
- Wyrd biđ ful aræd -

#952 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 09 November 2020 - 11:14 AM

Just bring Colin Farrel back as the baddie. His performance was so much better and less jarring then the introduction of an albino hipster.

#953 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 09 November 2020 - 12:20 PM

View PostTheRetiredBridgeburner, on 09 November 2020 - 10:04 AM, said:

I see Depp has been booted from Fantastic Beasts.

I was going to post about this, but it just made me sad.

The only silver lining is that WB is clearly doing this to save PR on what is already going to be a contentious press junket for FB3 with JK Rowling's problems. Them "asking" him to step down and him doing so translates as "we need to do this, and we'd like it if you stepped down" and not "you're a wife beater and we believe The Sun newspaper". Heard being still on the Snyder Cut reshoots bothers me, but the scuttlebutt is still that she is a no-go for Aquaman 2.

View PostAptorian, on 09 November 2020 - 11:14 AM, said:

Just bring Colin Farrel back as the baddie. His performance was so much better and less jarring then the introduction of an albino hipster.

The amount of people who suggest this astounds me. He is not a good actor, and he was awful in this role. Depp in the second film was about a thousand times his acting level. Like seriously, I don't know how anyone can see it the other way around. CRIMES OF GRINDLEWALD has some issues....but Depp is not one of them, he's spectacular in that role.

That said, if we can't have Depp, can I suggest Mads Mikkelsen for Grindelwald recasting?

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 09 November 2020 - 12:22 PM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#954 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

Posted 09 November 2020 - 12:22 PM

Wife beater or not he is going to have to clean up very publicly if he thinks he is working for a major studio again.

#955 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 09 November 2020 - 12:38 PM

Another major problem with all this is that it's giving the incels and MRAs loads of ammo for their warped beliefs. Lots of smug self-congratulatory posts on Reddit.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#956 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 09 November 2020 - 12:47 PM

View PostMezla PigDog, on 09 November 2020 - 12:22 PM, said:

Wife beater or not he is going to have to clean up very publicly if he thinks he is working for a major studio again.

So is she then....unless hours of admission of being a gaslighting, and abusive POS is allowed to fly now with major studios.

See this is the issue I have with this result. We have literal proof (we can listen to) of her admitting to abusing him. We don't have the same from Amber. But he's the one asked to step down from his film role.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 09 November 2020 - 12:49 PM

#957 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

Posted 09 November 2020 - 01:54 PM

Isn't her career dead anyway?

#958 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 09 November 2020 - 02:15 PM

View PostMezla PigDog, on 09 November 2020 - 01:54 PM, said:

Isn't her career dead anyway?

She's currently doing reshoots, for the Snyder Cut of JUSTICE LEAGUE (So WB hasn't asked her to step down...yet), she is still spokesperson for L'oreal, a spokesperson for the MeToo movement (which is so beyond laughably bad optics), and is still on tap to play Mera in Aquaman 2 (don't know if WB will remove her).

So no, not yet.

#959 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 09 November 2020 - 03:34 PM

This lovers drama has barely registered in America. The little that it has is chalked up as another typical entertainment couple messy divorce/separation. Ergo, it won't have any impact on either's career.

This post has been edited by Malankazooie: 09 November 2020 - 03:35 PM

#960 User is offline   JPK 

• Lemming of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Sacrificing myself for everyone else's greater good!

Posted 09 November 2020 - 08:16 PM

View PostMalankazooie, on 09 November 2020 - 03:34 PM, said:

This lovers drama has barely registered in America. The little that it has is chalked up as another typical entertainment couple messy divorce/separation. Ergo, it won't have any impact on either's career.

Except that it already has had an effect on his career. The loss of the Grindelwald role for one, and apparently Disney has ceased talks with him about reprising his role as Captain Jack as another.

Share this topic:

• 62 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users