• « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Weinstein Celebrity Dead Pool

#1061 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 20 May 2021 - 07:56 AM

I personally think the Aziz Ansari thing was way overblown, but am nonetheless happy that he used it to grow as a person and comedian.
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#1062 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• General Kenobi
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Sith Beatdowns

Posted 20 May 2021 - 01:16 PM

View PostMorgoth, on 20 May 2021 - 07:56 AM, said:

I personally think the Aziz Ansari thing was way overblown, but am nonetheless happy that he used it to grow as a person and comedian.

In hindsight, I 100% agree it was overblown, and I feel badly for getting on the opposing side against him about it.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

#1063 User is offline   Briar King 

• Master of the Deck
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Drive by bye bye king

Posted 30 June 2021 - 05:01 PM

Cosby is being released today with charges dropped. News conference later today.
Drive by bye bye king on my dumb horse

#1064 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Shield Anvil

Posted 30 June 2021 - 05:12 PM

View PostBriar King, on 30 June 2021 - 05:01 PM, said:

Cosby is being released today with charges dropped. News conference later today.

The conviction was overturned:

'The trial judge [...] allowed five other accusers to testify at the retrial about their experiences with Cosby in the 1980s.

The Pennsylvania Supreme Court said that testimony tainted the trial, even though a lower appeals court had found it appropriate to show a signature pattern of drugging and molesting women.

[...]

Prosecutors did not immediately say if they would appeal or seek to try Cosby for a third time.'

https://www.hollywoo...tion-overturned

US Supreme Court or retrial possible.

If he stays out, wonder if he'll start trying to do comedy again. Trump could use some performers... and the content of his character seems appropriate.

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 30 June 2021 - 05:13 PM

#1065 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• General Kenobi
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Sith Beatdowns

Posted 30 June 2021 - 05:43 PM

I’m disgusted that he’s getting out not due to innocence, but because of BS procedural loophole nonsense at the lawyer/court level.

Like our system in Canada is bad, but holy fuck the USA is on another level of “you can escape penalty if you’re rich enough and your shady lawyers pull enough bullshit”
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

#1066 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Shield Anvil

Posted 30 June 2021 - 05:50 PM

'Pennsylvania State Supreme Court [...] overturned the conviction because] Cosby had been double-crossed by prosecutors who re-negged on a public declaration not to prosecute him.

[...]

"Everyone's mind is blown right now," former federal prosecutor [said ...] "This is extremely rare. This is unprecedented."

[...]

Montgomery County District Attorney Bruce Castor initially declined to prosecute Cosby[...]
His public refusal to prosecute Cosby paved the way [...] to sue the former TV star in civil court, forcing Cosby to give testimony, under penalty of perjury, that was not protected by the Fifth Amendment right against self-incrimination.

Castor's successors, however, "did not feel bound by his decision" not to prosecute, and subsequently used that testimony to prosecute Cosby criminally.

[...]

"There is only one remedy that can completely restore Cosby to the status quo ante," the court's decision states. "He must be discharged, and any future prosecution on these particular charges must be barred. We do not dispute that this remedy is both severe and rare. But it is warranted here, indeed compelled." [...] former federal prosecutor[... said] it was a "creative argument and the Pennsylvania Supreme Court bought it." [...] because it was a state case and is essentially "set in stone" in Pennsylvania, it's very unlikely that federal prosecutors will get involved.'

https://www.thedaily...ling?ref=scroll
So no retrial without appealing to the US Supreme Court... which is unlikely to take the case, since they generally want to avoid overruling state Supreme Courts. Unless they charge him for a different sexual assault, guess he's free.

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 30 June 2021 - 05:50 PM

#1067 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 30 June 2021 - 07:36 PM

its not unprecedented.
its well documentedly precedented. Rich guy hire lawyers with zero moral compass to get him the fuck off

#1068 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 30 June 2021 - 07:41 PM

The only difference is that it's not a rich white guy getting away with it this time. So, yay for progress...
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#1069 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Shield Anvil

Posted 30 June 2021 - 08:20 PM

On the one hand, I understand not wanting to allow prosecutors to effectively bypass the Fifth Amendment....

But on the other (and more importantly), why not allow for a retrial with Cosby's testimony from the civil trial and the testimony from previous alleged victims excluded? He only served 2 years of a 10 year sentence.

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 30 June 2021 - 08:21 PM

Share this topic:

• 54 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users