• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 09 November 2017 - 08:47 PM

View PostBriar King, on 09 November 2017 - 07:55 PM, said:

View PostAbyss, on 09 November 2017 - 05:52 PM, said:

View PostBriar King, on 09 November 2017 - 05:27 PM, said:

Don't buy a Found On Road Dead.

Not sure if they are over there but I like the Chevy:Sonic, Malibu & Impala(sexy). The Dodge Chargers are also sexy. Maybe a Nissan Altima or Maxima as well.

Poo on Ford then pimp Chevy???? ...wow.... what next, GMC? ;)

We can agree on the Charger tho. I've driven a few as rentals/loaners and damn, they are fun. Newers models are surprisingly fuel efficient too.

Nissan... meh. It seems to me they poured their better work into the Infiniti line and have just maintained a bare status quo on actual Nissan. If someone were looking Japanese i'd vote Toyota or Honda ahead, albeit a higher price point.

GMC is awesome. I'm still looking at those trucks waiting on the old man to get another.

To bad Pontiac is no more. They had the very best cars and were super sexy. I loved my 2 I had.

That Charger is a beast and the look of the 2016 to new with those wrapped LED headlights and the light bar in rear...seeexxxxyyyy

GMC is awesome at recalls, but i don't do pickup trucks so we may have a difference of context there.

Pontiac... maybe 20 years ago. I drove a Sunfire for a while that was sweet but there's a reason they ended that brand.

Have you driven a Challenger? There is so much no quite right with the design and yet daaaaaaaaaaaaaaamn.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#22 User is offline   Chance 

• Mortal Sword
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 09 November 2017 - 11:03 PM

Don’t buy a Found On Road Dead.

Our local FORD translation is Fodrar Ordentliga Reparationer Dagligen roughly translates to Requires Extensive Repair Daily.

This post has been edited by Chance: 09 November 2017 - 11:04 PM

#23 User is offline   LinearPhilosopher 

• House Knight
  • Interests:Everything.

Posted 10 November 2017 - 12:03 AM

As someone who had to buy a vehicle twice in the last 2 years i feel somewhat qualified to answer (My car got totaled by an inbound cadillac escalade while it was parked on the side of the road)

To whomever reccomended mazda 3... Mazdas are known for rust issues after a few years so if you are looking to buy a car for the long haul DO NOT buy one. (Canadian winter>rust proof claims)

If you are looking for value, toyota corrolla and honda civics are the way to good as they are very reliable(can last upwards of a decade if well maintained) and keep a decent amount fo their value if you're looking to sell used a few years down the road. (theres a reason honda civic is canadas most popular car)

Alternative, subaru impreza is also a decent sedans and with the AWD you know regardless of road conditions you have an edge

I've been driving the hyundai elantra and so far no complaints. (just got a 11 hyundai elantra, 94k, stick, wagon for 6k, just needed some minor body work)

You could look at BMWs, while BMWS are good cars that are well built, parts and maintenance is more expensive (labor for BMW usually costs more)so in the long run it increased your ownership cost. (oil changes come to about the same as BMW can go longer between oil changes)

Kia is decnet (fortes/rios not bad) though they are on the smaller side. If you can find a good deal on a used one it might be worth it, but if budget isn't an issue i'd go with the other brands.

This post has been edited by LinearPhilosopher: 10 November 2017 - 12:04 AM

#24 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 10 November 2017 - 12:55 AM

View PostChance, on 09 November 2017 - 11:03 PM, said:

Don’t buy a Found On Road Dead.

Our local FORD translation is Fodrar Ordentliga Reparationer Dagligen roughly translates to Requires Extensive Repair Daily.

Fix Or Repair Daily is popular here.
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#25 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 10 November 2017 - 03:04 AM

Remember? There's still a few handful around here with them on their trucks.

Saw a pair of brass balls hanging from a hitch the other day also.

#26 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 10 November 2017 - 03:41 AM

Let's buy a zoo!
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#27 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 10 November 2017 - 11:04 AM

Interesting, FORD does not have a bad reputation here.

American made cars don't exist in South Africa so will have to skip. I thought they didn't exist anywhere except America actually.

Rust is not a big issue here, maybe by the coast but in Johannesburg where I live the days are hot and dry mostly. Also no snow so we never salt the roads etc

#28 User is offline   Chance 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 10 November 2017 - 01:21 PM

View PostCause, on 10 November 2017 - 11:04 AM, said:

Interesting, FORD does not have a bad reputation here.

Probably more of a little fun or brand rivalry each maker has its following. For the two fords I've gotten experience with it was totally true for one it required changing breakpads and/or discs about every third month and no one knew why, the other one just ran on with some cheap repair until it was ready for scrapping many many km later.

View PostCause, on 10 November 2017 - 11:04 AM, said:

Rust is not a big issue here, maybe by the coast but in Johannesburg where I live the days are hot and dry mostly. Also no snow so we never salt the roads etc

Sounds like a perfect climate to get a fun car making the daily commute into something that leaves a smile, and seeing your car on the street something that makes you go yepp that is my awesome car. ;)

This post has been edited by Chance: 10 November 2017 - 01:22 PM

#29 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 10 November 2017 - 02:04 PM

If you can drive manual, there's a 2009 Honda S2000 that my future mother in law has that gives her great joy. It's easy to repair, really fun to drive, and isn't a ton of money to buy. I think the Mazda Miata would be the closest to that on the present market.

You might be a serious candidate to go electric if you have a few charging stations nearby. Imagine never buying gas.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#30 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 13 November 2017 - 12:05 PM

The more I see the Mazdah 3 the more I like it. That said the top of the range Mazdah 3s are really nice but a bit pricey. Gonna investigate if I can find a show room floor model, or maybe a 2nd hand one that's only 1-2 years old. Otheriwse the 2.0 auto dynamic individual seems to be fine, the Astina and astina plus have luxuries that I wont miss.

Trying to get a good value for my current car in the meantime. This is complicated by what seems to be car dealers sucking numbers out of thin air or just confusing the issue with bullshit. The car seems to be worth 5000 dollars. One dealership offered 2.5k but offered trade in assistance for another 2.5k and made it seem like a favour. Having asked around I know what they are doing is just offering half the value and than making it seem like they are doing me a favour with the other half. I hate crap like this

#31 User is offline   Chance 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 13 November 2017 - 03:19 PM

Your never going to get maximum value out of a car in a dealership unless you trade in for something they have. They will want to know that they can get 50-100+% more then they paid for the car when they sell to the next person.

This post has been edited by Chance: 13 November 2017 - 03:19 PM

#32 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 13 November 2017 - 05:08 PM

Yep. It’s more work, but you’ll get much more out of it selling it yourself.

#33 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 13 November 2017 - 06:59 PM

View PostChance, on 13 November 2017 - 03:19 PM, said:

Your never going to get maximum value out of a car in a dealership unless you trade in for something they have. They will want to know that they can get 50-100+% more then they paid for the car when they sell to the next person.

I get that they have to make a profit. Let me be clearer, the value of my car is actaually 5-8k apparently. I know a dealer should offer at least 5k. So when they said 2.5k and 2.5k dealership assistance they are lowballing adn than using the word assistance to build rapport.

#34 User is offline   LinearPhilosopher 

• House Knight
  • Interests:Everything.

Posted 13 November 2017 - 11:14 PM

View PostCause, on 13 November 2017 - 12:05 PM, said:

The more I see the Mazdah 3 the more I like it. That said the top of the range Mazdah 3s are really nice but a bit pricey. Gonna investigate if I can find a show room floor model, or maybe a 2nd hand one that's only 1-2 years old. Otheriwse the 2.0 auto dynamic individual seems to be fine, the Astina and astina plus have luxuries that I wont miss.

Trying to get a good value for my current car in the meantime. This is complicated by what seems to be car dealers sucking numbers out of thin air or just confusing the issue with bullshit. The car seems to be worth 5000 dollars. One dealership offered 2.5k but offered trade in assistance for another 2.5k and made it seem like a favour. Having asked around I know what they are doing is just offering half the value and than making it seem like they are doing me a favour with the other half. I hate crap like this

You may be better off triyng to sell it yourself using classified if you want the max value. (idk if you guys have something like Kijiji). I also don't know what sort of legal hoops you need to do to sell a vehicle yourself. (over here you just pay the gvt for a kit that includes the paperwork, the car facts report , lien report etc..

But, if you're trading in, the dealers should be giving you a better deal. Do your homework on what the car should be worth, overestimate it a little bit and negotiate from there.

WHen it comes to doing homework, look exclusively at your car model make and year.

This post has been edited by LinearPhilosopher: 13 November 2017 - 11:16 PM

#35 User is offline   Nicodimas 

• Soletaken
  • https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XbGs_qK2PQA

Posted 14 November 2017 - 03:17 AM

Don’t buy cars.. buy a big huge truck..

Safer. There’s a reason when you drive past fire stations they all drive massive trucks. It’s not a ego thing.
-If it's ka it'll come like a wind, and your plans will stand before it no more than a barn before a cyclone

#36 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 14 November 2017 - 01:16 PM

Yes, let's everybody emulate firefighters for unknown and/or possibly stupid reasons.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#37 User is offline   Obdigore 

• ThunderBear
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 14 November 2017 - 02:33 PM

View PostNicodimas, on 14 November 2017 - 03:17 AM, said:

Don’t buy cars.. buy a big huge truck..

Safer. There’s a reason when you drive past fire stations they all drive massive trucks. It’s not a ego thing.

So what I hear is that you are a soccer mom who buys the huge Expedition and can barely see over the wheel, so that when you lose control of the vehicle and hit someone else, they die and not you.

Great.

What a wonderful suggestion you just made.

Fuck everyone else because you bought a vehicle too large for you to control.

Hooray!
Monster Hunter World Iceborne: It's like hunting monsters, but on crack, but the monsters are also on crack.

#38 User is offline   Vengeance 

• High Priest of Shinrei Love and Worship
  • very good...;)

Posted 14 November 2017 - 03:02 PM

I feel like this conversation would have been over a lot earlier if one of you guys had just said to get a M4. Honestly. It is fucking awesome to drive and will get you laid. A mazda is just a wanna be M4. A truck is just a slime mutant rejected M4. If god drove a car it would be an M4. Are you better then God. Of course not. Buy an M4.
How many fucking people do I have to hammer in order to get that across.
Hinter - Vengy - DIE. I trusted you you bastard!!!!!!!

Steven Erikson made drowning in alien cum possible - Obdigore

#39 User is offline   Obdigore 

• ThunderBear
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 14 November 2017 - 03:11 PM

View PostVengeance, on 14 November 2017 - 03:02 PM, said:

I feel like this conversation would have been over a lot earlier if one of you guys had just said to get a M4. Honestly. It is fucking awesome to drive and will get you laid. A mazda is just a wanna be M4. A truck is just a slime mutant rejected M4. If god drove a car it would be an M4. Are you better then God. Of course not. Buy an M4.

Monster Hunter World Iceborne: It's like hunting monsters, but on crack, but the monsters are also on crack.

#40 User is offline   Vengeance 

• High Priest of Shinrei Love and Worship
  • very good...;)

Posted 14 November 2017 - 03:26 PM

How many fucking people do I have to hammer in order to get that across.
Hinter - Vengy - DIE. I trusted you you bastard!!!!!!!

Steven Erikson made drowning in alien cum possible - Obdigore

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users