• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Let's buy a car I know nothing about cars

#1 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 08 November 2017 - 10:11 AM

It's time for a new car! Out with the old and in with the new. I don't know nothing about cars. They get me from place a to b. That said I see need a new one and need to trade in my current one (12 years oldl while I can still get some money back.

I need advice! I'm looking at mid range cars I guess. No luxury bmw or Mercedes sedans but I can spend more than the absolute basic end. I have been told to stick to German, Korean and Japanese cars. Avoid the French!

I really liked the kia rio but have been told they have not updated the engine in over 4 years which does seem like a black mark.

Ideally. My new car should have:

Good mileage
Good safety
Automatic transmission
Bluetooth for audio
Electric windows
Park assist
Leather seats (exp tells me this will pay off in the long run)
Link to smartphone, for gps etc

Cars I have generally appreciated:

Kia rio
Ford focus

So I know its hard to discuss price and such being in different countries and such but if you know of any cars generally regarded as good mid level cars let me know. Or have any advice to share feel free.

#2 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 08 November 2017 - 11:40 AM

You need to think bigger!

Posted Image
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#3 User is offline   Silencer 

• Manipulating Special Data
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Malazan Book of the Fallen series.
    Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 08 November 2017 - 12:01 PM

Mazda 3, Honda Civic, or if you don't care about their ethics (cheating the fuel economy tests) then a VW Golf are all in your size range and should be around the right budget. Ford Focus is also decent although I'd rank it below the other three.
Shiara and Lucifer's Heaven seem pretty content with their shiny new Mazda 3 (I was one of the many people recommending it to them on merit and reputation).

You've said it gets you from A to B but are there any more specific criteria like fuel economy, range, space, towing capacity, # of seats, engine size? What sort of driving do you normally do?
(Though to be honest most of that stuff isn't going to substantially change my recommendations in your case seeing as you've mentioned the Rio and Focus so I'm assuming you're shopping in that size range and frankly unless you need a sub compact hatch or a large sedan or 4wd the ones I've listed are pretty much the best cars on the market for average budget and good features and specs.)

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

#4 User is offline   Grondo 

• Recruit

Posted 08 November 2017 - 01:07 PM

I know i't not German or Japanese but have you considered the Seat Leon?

I've got a Leon FR and its fantastic.

#5 User is offline   Chance 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 08 November 2017 - 01:51 PM

I'd strongly recommend buying a car a couple of years older and from one of those nice luxury Germans companies. At least around here (Sweden) buying a cheaper car while it is resonably new will only mean most of the money put in to it doesn't exist a few years later.

But the basic rule is simple stay away from French and Italian cars.

This post has been edited by Chance: 08 November 2017 - 01:54 PM

#6 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 08 November 2017 - 05:21 PM

Just went through this with a family member...

On price / quality / package for dollar value, I'd give some serious thought to Ford. They majorly upped their game and what you get package wise for the price point vs comparable Japanese or German makes it worth looking at. A Titanium trim Focus will cost you less than a less loaded Golf or Civic, cost less for maintenance, and probably throw in a ridiculously affordable maintenance package if you're buying new from a dealer.

Hyundai is worth a look - better than Kia, also solid price point. The Accent comes in a bunch of different trims and models and Hyundai will all but offer you its children to get you into one of their cars.

All that said, if price is less of a consideration, Toyota makes some of the best cars in that category/price. Also, the Subaru Crosstrek is pretty great.

Mazda makes solid cars but i found them dull. Just my opinion, people i know driving a 3 are happy with it.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#7 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 08 November 2017 - 07:40 PM

Kia offer a 7 year warranty over here if you buy new, I assume there is a mileage restriction but if you aren't a travelling salesman that's a deal that is hard to ignore.

If you want dependability German/Japanese is the way forward.
That said.

It bears remembering that VW own many brands and one the first things they do upon acquisition is to update a brands models to suit their floorplans.

For example, a Skoda Octavia is basically a Passat with a different badge.
A seat Leon is a golf with more solid suspension and a different badge.
Taking the VW badge off generally knocks a few grand off without any drop in mechanical quality. Hell most of the components are made in the same factories

This post has been edited by Macros: 08 November 2017 - 07:41 PM

#8 User is offline   Obdigore 

• ThunderBear

Posted 08 November 2017 - 07:43 PM

I have a Mazda 3 and I absolutely love it.
Monster Hunter World Iceborne: It's like hunting monsters, but on crack, but the monsters are also on crack.

#9 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 08 November 2017 - 09:21 PM

Cause, you're where - South Africa or Scandinavia?

How many people in your family/group?

The Mazda 3 backseats are miserable experiences to suffer over long trips. So if you do that, I'd suggest another car.

Ford, Hyundai, Kia will all treat you well without being expensive to buy or fix.

I bought an Accord bc I plan on starting a family soon. I love it. My partner has a Toyota Scion. That's a great car for motoring around town and I would recommend it as well.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#10 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 08 November 2017 - 09:32 PM

View PostChance, on 08 November 2017 - 01:51 PM, said:

I'd strongly recommend buying a car a couple of years older

Never buy a new car.

Anything that immediately depreciates in value as soon as you drive it off the lot is not worth it in my opinion.

Even just a 1-2 year old car is a much better investment.
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#11 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 08 November 2017 - 09:44 PM

Accords are sweet and last forever. If you're more of a drive the same car for a decade or two type, Hondas are good for that.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#12 User is offline   Chance 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 08 November 2017 - 10:30 PM

View PostSlow Ben, on 08 November 2017 - 09:32 PM, said:

Never buy a new car.

Anything that immediately depreciates in value as soon as you drive it off the lot is not worth it in my opinion.

Around where I live I'd say go with 3-5 years if you necessarily need a "newish" car and at least 5 years if you don't want to get robbed while owning it.

Also a quality car will likely have the newest toys anyhow, and if remotely well taken care of be better then a newer budget one.

/Chance

Who is currently driving a 11 year old BMW sports coupe to work and playing around with a 26 year old BMW V12 coupe for the summers so I might be biased.

This post has been edited by Chance: 09 November 2017 - 12:32 AM

#13 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

• Malazan Yo Yo Champion 2009
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 08 November 2017 - 11:39 PM

I know nothing about cars but would warn against a Seat - our old Ibiza had dodgy electrics even though the engine was good. Friends who know about cars said that's what you get with a Seat.

Engineers I know say Fords break more but the parts are cheap while Japanese cars are more reliable but pricey when they do break. I use rentals when I drive a long way for work and they always give me a Focus, they're nice enough to drive and the new ones have nice interiors.

When we were last buying a car 4 years ago I wanted a Golf but the ones we could afford had really shit interiors. I'm of the mindset that I'll pay enough for reliability and I'll drive it into the ground and sell it for next to nothing when it becomes uneconomical. I don't understand the prestige thing with car purchases.
Burn rubber =/= warp speed

#14 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 09 November 2017 - 10:56 AM

View PostSilencer, on 08 November 2017 - 12:01 PM, said:

You've said it gets you from A to B but are there any more specific criteria like fuel economy, range, space, towing capacity, # of seats, engine size? What sort of driving do you normally do?

Currently I work 5 km from where I live. Still good fuel mileage is always a plus, for when running errands or road trips. Plus petrol is always getting more expensive. I'M single and don't drive a lot for wok or anything like that, so mileage, boot space, towing capacity etc is not a huge priority for me. Nor is top speed or top acceleration. Its a car to get to work, run errands and visit friends. Id get a bike but feel they are unsafe and I like 4 door cars with backseats because when you need them you need them!

View PostGrondo, on 08 November 2017 - 01:07 PM, said:

I know i't not German or Japanese but have you considered the Seat Leon?

I've got a Leon FR and its fantastic.

Never ever heard of this!

View Postamphibian, on 08 November 2017 - 09:21 PM, said:

Cause, you're where - South Africa or Scandinavia?

How many people in your family/group?

The Mazda 3 backseats are miserable experiences to suffer over long trips. So if you do that, I'd suggest another car.

Ford, Hyundai, Kia will all treat you well without being expensive to buy or fix.

I bought an Accord bc I plan on starting a family soon. I love it. My partner has a Toyota Scion. That's a great car for motoring around town and I would recommend it as well.

South Africa!

I'm single but I still like cars with a full seat situation because I fid they are often useful. I know what you mean. My friend has a Mercedes. I literally cant sit in the back, without having my neck bent at 45 degrees. Made a few runs for food in the back of it for a few minutes though

I'm not against second hand, and am very much considering it. Also agility financing (you finance the car and they guarantee to buy it back from you after 5 years). Either way need to know what to look at. Money is a huge part of the equation and id like to save as much of it as I can. that said I also believe in a purchase like this quality tells. I need it to be safe, reliable, retain some modicum after its value when its time to sell down the line. Also it should not be a chore to maintain or something I need to worry about. If I can find a great second hand car with some warranty left etc Id be happy to grab it.

Thanks for the advice so far guys. I will check out the mazda 3, Honda civic etc.

#15 User is offline   Nevyn 

• Shield Anvil

Posted 09 November 2017 - 03:52 PM

Avoid new first year model designs.

You'll generally get fewer price breaks and also bigger chances of a lemon or more recalls.

The rio lack of engine design may not make it the latest and greatest, but it does tend to indicate that they have had success with that design and are more likely to have ironed out the kinks.

I am not brand loyal with cars. Get the features you want at the price you want, and make sure, for whatever country you are in, that getting parts for repair will be easy and affordable.
Tatts early in SH game: Hmm, so if I'm liberal I should have voted Nein to make sure I'm president? I'm not that selfish

Tatts later in SAME game: I'm going to be a corrupt official. I have turned from my liberal ways, and now will vote against the pesky liberals. Viva la Fascism.
When Venge's turn comes, he will get a yes from Mess, Dolmen, Nevyn and Venge but a no from the 3 fascists and me. **** with my Government, and i'll **** with yours

#16 User is offline   Nevyn 

• Shield Anvil

Posted 09 November 2017 - 03:58 PM

Never buy a new car.

Cars are expenses, not investments.

True of old and new. Still a depreciating asset.

Now what you said was true, in that the biggest depreciation happens the moment you drive a new car off the lot. But there is a tradeoff involved, in the length of time you can have the car, the length of time under warranty, and the surety of knowing how the car has been driven and maintained for its entire life. Not to mention these days people often replace cars for new tech features , which tends to push you into new models.

So yes, it would be cheaper in aggregate to always buy used. But there are many things in this life that are cheaper and people opt not to do.

People should just be aware of the trade off and make a conscious decision.
Tatts early in SH game: Hmm, so if I'm liberal I should have voted Nein to make sure I'm president? I'm not that selfish

Tatts later in SAME game: I'm going to be a corrupt official. I have turned from my liberal ways, and now will vote against the pesky liberals. Viva la Fascism.
When Venge's turn comes, he will get a yes from Mess, Dolmen, Nevyn and Venge but a no from the 3 fascists and me. **** with my Government, and i'll **** with yours

#17 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 09 November 2017 - 03:59 PM

View PostChance, on 08 November 2017 - 10:30 PM, said:

Never buy a new car.

Around where I live I'd say go with 3-5 years if you necessarily need a "newish" car and at least 5 years if you don't want to get robbed while owning it.

Also a quality car will likely have the newest toys anyhow, and if remotely well taken care of be better then a newer budget one.

/Chance

Who is currently driving a 11 year old BMW sports coupe to work and playing around with a 26 year old BMW V12 coupe for the summers so I might be biased.

There are a lot of different opinions of the new vs used debate and some people feel fanatical about it.
I've done both.

My $0.02, the bottom line is what do you have to spend, what do you need, what can you get for it that fills the need, and what is your risk tolerance for a car owned/driven/abused by someone who isn't you?
If i were in the market for a 'luxury' car (BMW, Merc, Audi, etc) i would shop for used because they tend to depreciate less, and generally (hopefully) they are better taken care of by owners. That said, if you get one with problems, it can cost.
For a day to day that will be used and abused the way only a Canadian winter can, i would shop new and get the best end to end warranty i could negotiate so if something, anything goes wrong, back it goes, not my problem. The savings on a used car with no warranty aren't worth the headache for me. Also, i like toys and newer = more toys. ;)

View PostMezla PigDog, on 08 November 2017 - 11:39 PM, said:

...Engineers I know say Fords break more but the parts are cheap while Japanese cars are more reliable but pricey when they do break. I use rentals when I drive a long way for work and they always give me a Focus, they're nice enough to drive and the new ones have nice interiors.

When we were last buying a car 4 years ago I wanted a Golf but the ones we could afford had really shit interiors. I'm of the mindset that I'll pay enough for reliability and I'll drive it into the ground and sell it for next to nothing when it becomes uneconomical. I don't understand the prestige thing with car purchases.

Ford's gotten better with that.

Anectdotal only, but three people i know who bought Golf's in the last few years weren't happy with them.

View PostCause, on 09 November 2017 - 10:56 AM, said:

I'm not against second hand, and am very much considering it. Also agility financing (you finance the car and they guarantee to buy it back from you after 5 years). Either way need to know what to look at. Money is a huge part of the equation and id like to save as much of it as I can. that said I also believe in a purchase like this quality tells. I need it to be safe, reliable, retain some modicum after its value when its time to sell down the line. Also it should not be a chore to maintain or something I need to worry about. If I can find a great second hand car with some warranty left etc Id be happy to grab it.

Thanks for the advice so far guys. I will check out the mazda 3, Honda civic etc.

All of the above in, if you can find a second hand Jeep (wrangler, liberty or cherokee) in your price range that gets a solid inspection, they're pretty awesome.

#18 User is offline   Nevyn 

• Shield Anvil

Posted 09 November 2017 - 04:10 PM

View PostAbyss, on 09 November 2017 - 03:59 PM, said:

Anectdotal only, but three people i know who bought Golf's in the last few years weren't happy with them.

I have heard similar complaints on Golfs.

Specifically, had friends who loved the engine and handling, but every non performance part of the car (trim, etc) was shoddy and fell apart too easily and too soon.

#19 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 09 November 2017 - 05:52 PM

View PostBriar King, on 09 November 2017 - 05:27 PM, said:

Don't buy a Found On Road Dead.

Not sure if they are over there but I like the Chevy:Sonic, Malibu & Impala(sexy). The Dodge Chargers are also sexy. Maybe a Nissan Altima or Maxima as well.

Poo on Ford then pimp Chevy???? ...wow.... what next, GMC? ;)

We can agree on the Charger tho. I've driven a few as rentals/loaners and damn, they are fun. Newers models are surprisingly fuel efficient too.

Nissan... meh. It seems to me they poured their better work into the Infiniti line and have just maintained a bare status quo on actual Nissan. If someone were looking Japanese i'd vote Toyota or Honda ahead, albeit a higher price point.

#20 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 09 November 2017 - 07:28 PM

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic