• Drive by bye bye king

Posted 03 October 2017 - 06:27 PM

Deleted

This post has been edited by .-‘: 05 October 2021 - 11:24 PM

Drive by bye bye king on my dumb horse

#2 User is offline   acesn8s 

• Soletaken
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Reading, video games, role playing games, Fountain Pens, journals...

Posted 04 October 2017 - 12:58 AM

Episodes 1 & 2 were flat for me. I really liked episode 3. 4 was OK. Half the comedy bits still feel forced, but there are a couple gems.
“The others followed, and found themselves in a small, stuffy basement, which would have been damp, smelly, close, and dark, were it not, in fact, well-lit, which prevented it from being dark.”
― Steven Brust, The Phoenix Guards

#3 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 04 October 2017 - 12:52 PM

View PostBriar King, on 03 October 2017 - 06:27 PM, said:

Time will tell but as of now I think this show was misadvertized.

^^This. 100%.

In fact, I'd love to find the Fox Execs who marketed this show and ask them why they through it was best to sell it as a space comedy parody?

Also, it turns out that Seth Macfarlane is a MASSIVE Trekkie, and he has always wanted to make an homage to that.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#4 User is offline   Andorion 

• God
  • Interests:All things Malazan, sundry sci-fi and fantasy, history, Iron Maiden

Posted 04 October 2017 - 04:14 PM

Shit, I just saw the summaries for this and star trek discovery and I am so jealous. This is the type of tv I would watch.

#5 User is offline   Khazduk 

• Sergeant
  • Interests:Instant coffee

Posted 05 October 2017 - 06:55 AM

Watched the first episode last night and so far the only thing I'll say for sure is that I'll keep watching.

#6 User is offline   WinterPhoenix 

• First Sword

Posted 06 October 2017 - 06:21 AM

I just watched all 4 episodes. Better than Discovery, for now at least.

At least episodes 3 and 4 were anyhow. I found the pilot to be flat and a little boring, episode 2 was alright. But 3 and 4 were genuinely great - also 4 had a Liam Neeson cameo plus Robert Knepper aka Theodore 'Teabag' Bagwell from Prison Break so kudos. Who knew Seth McFarlane could do serious in any way? Honestly I'm finding the comedy a little stilted, it feels forced and genuinely out of place, and I don't think it's even Seth at his best on that front, the show elicits a few chuckles but mostly I find it distracting in general. Episodes 3 and 4 were genuinely great episodes of TV though, this show is definitely not a comedy first and foremost and though I would say it's comedic elements are by far it's weakest point it won't stop me watching if it keeps up the quality of the last 2 episodes for sure.

I actually didn't see any advertising for this show here in England, everything I knew beforehand, I knew from this forum. but if the advertising really did play up the comedic elements as much as people on here are saying then they really dropped the ball on that front.
"I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust." T.S Eliot - The Wasteland

#7 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 06 October 2017 - 09:28 AM

Actually after episode 4 I decided its not worth continuing. The humor is forced or crass. The storylines themselves, while perhaps more than just a parody are not really that compelling in themselves especially when they must be forced to deliver so many b-rate jokes. Their are fun moments but in totality I think I can find something better to do for 30 minutes.

#8 User is offline   Nevyn 

• Shield Anvil

Posted 06 October 2017 - 01:12 PM

I don't know how much staying power it will have.

I don't mind the awkward humor, because it is novel in the setting. But that could wear away quick.

And who knows how well they'll manage to accomplish drama. But they had perfect timing going up against Discovery. The Orville feels like a real breath of fresh air after enduring ST:D.

So I may not stick with it forever, but it may get me rewatching TNG.
Tatts early in SH game: Hmm, so if I'm liberal I should have voted Nein to make sure I'm president? I'm not that selfish

Tatts later in SAME game: I'm going to be a corrupt official. I have turned from my liberal ways, and now will vote against the pesky liberals. Viva la Fascism.
When Venge's turn comes, he will get a yes from Mess, Dolmen, Nevyn and Venge but a no from the 3 fascists and me. **** with my Government, and i'll **** with yours

#9 User is offline   WinterPhoenix 

• First Sword

Posted 06 October 2017 - 08:45 PM

See for me the awkward humour is actually distracting from what the show is doing very well. Mentioning TNG is actually very interesting though, Nevyn. There were a few occasions when a stilted joke really jolted me out of the story in episodes 3 and 4 (this didn't happen with every joke, I hoping the humour will get less awkward in general) that I found myself thinking above all that I would love to have seen the story I was watching in a TNG-like setting minus the humour. If the show can keep up the level of the last 2 episodes though then I am content to keep watching, it definitely works as a Star Trek homage as Seth intended, and like you say Nevyn it felt fresh going up against Discovery, the pilot of which had serious issues.

This post has been edited by WinterPhoenix: 06 October 2017 - 08:46 PM

#10 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 07 October 2017 - 08:36 AM

Just watched Ep 1 and I agree with the earlier comment that it's more Trek-ky than recent actual Trek. Reminded me of ST:TNG.

The humour sorta works, in spite of a few awkward bits.

I'll give it a few more eps, see how it goes.

And yeah, it's an actual homage more than a parody.

This post has been edited by Tsundoku: 07 October 2017 - 08:37 AM

"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#11 User is offline   acesn8s 

• Soletaken
  • Interests:Reading, video games, role playing games, Fountain Pens, journals...

Posted 09 October 2017 - 12:15 PM

View PostNevyn, on 06 October 2017 - 01:12 PM, said:

... but it may get me rewatching TNG.

This, so totally this!

Please tell me they are on Netflix.
“The others followed, and found themselves in a small, stuffy basement, which would have been damp, smelly, close, and dark, were it not, in fact, well-lit, which prevented it from being dark.”
― Steven Brust, The Phoenix Guards

#12 User is offline   Dutch 

• Bridgeburner
  • Interests:Malazan Book of the Fallen, American Football, Quick Ben

Posted 09 October 2017 - 04:38 PM

In ep 4 there was this alien guy with white hair which was the leader of the Reformists.

At first I thought that he was from Battlestar Galactica, later on I thought of Space: Above and Beyond.
Sappers have a saying, he muttered. "Wide eyed stupid"

#13 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 14 October 2017 - 01:05 AM

Ep3 a few minutes in:

"Let us settle this the old fashioned way ..."

:rolleyes:
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#14 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 14 October 2017 - 01:50 AM

Nah, just watching at my own pace. Spoilers don't bother me, but thanks anyway.

EDIT: Ep3 was a really good straight up sci-fi show. Strongest reminder yet of when ST:TNG was at it's best. No neat endings, multiple valid viewpoints, food for thought. Less comedy too, or at least it was more subtle. 8 confused genders out of 10.

EDIT 2: Ep4 was a little more straight out of the original series playbook, a bit darker, more edgy but appropriate humour. 5 classic Trek episodes out of 6.

This post has been edited by Tsundoku: 14 October 2017 - 07:07 AM

#15 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 14 October 2017 - 10:58 AM

Ep 5 - very ST:TNG and Charlize Theron ... :D

Ep 6 - This show is getting better as it goes. Really liked that ending.

One complaint was though that if you're sending people undercover, you might want people who can keep their mouths shut a bit better. :rolleyes:

I'm going to keep watching. It took a few eps to settle in (ignore 1 and 2 pretty much except for background) and find it's tone, but it has my seal of approval so far.

That's not to say it doesn't have at least one WTF-why-did-you-do-that moment each ep, but then again so did even the best Trek.

This post has been edited by Tsundoku: 14 October 2017 - 11:01 AM

#16 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 14 October 2017 - 02:21 PM

Haven't had a chance to watch the most recent ep...tonight hopefully.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#17 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 17 October 2017 - 05:42 PM

View PostBriar King, on 14 October 2017 - 01:47 PM, said:

now the guy who played multiple roles in TNG/DS9 Gul Ducat.

Actually, that's not Marc Alaimo (who played Gul Dukat on DS9 and TNG)...though I agree it very MUCH looks like him. I thought you were right till I looked it up.

Turns out the actor who played the Krill captain is actually a younger guy named Dylan Kenin.

Though funnily enough, the religious Krill priest guy, Saezeron, was previously on TNG.

This past ep was my fave of the season.

And I nearly spat out my drink every time Maloy made a car rental joke.

I think that the final scene of this ep was the best in the series thus far.

Spoiler

I'm hoping they get the season 2 order from FOX soon. Word of mouth seems to be good on the show (and growing), and the ratings have been solid as well from what I hear. Hopefully it's enough. I want this show to run a few seasons for sure!

#18 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 17 October 2017 - 06:41 PM

View PostBriar King, on 17 October 2017 - 06:05 PM, said:

That looked just like him!!

If we don’t get a S2 that will suck so bad. Ratings are holding steady around 3-4 mil past few episodes.

Yeah, and I think Ep 6 had a 90% increase in viewers as well...so not just increasing ratings, but by sizeable jumps. So that's good.

View PostBriar King, on 17 October 2017 - 06:05 PM, said:

That ending was chilly as fuck. Some thoughts.
Spoiler

Spoiler

LOTS of really cool ideas to explore.

#19 User is offline   WinterPhoenix 

• First Sword

Posted 21 October 2017 - 01:19 AM

Just watched eps 5 and 6, this is so much better than Discovery it makes me feel a little bit sad. Really hoping this show has a long run, it would be a crying shame if we only get one series. I'm actually happy to be enjoying something from Seth McFarlane once again, been awhile. This has so many poignant moments mixed in with the humour (which has gotten better for me, though I still find it stilted on occasion) and it's so reminiscent of TNG I think I'll be enjoying it for as long as it's around.

#20 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 27 October 2017 - 02:31 AM

Wife fell asleep at 9...so we have to wait till tormorrow to watch. Ah well, she was tuckered out today. Can't blame her.

Share this topic:

• 5 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users