• exile
  • Group: Malazan Artist

Posted 06 March 2017 - 11:10 PM

Go find a Cauldron... awesome area!

I now have new skills..
Spoiler

Re. The date and location, I just found a data entry from
Spoiler

I'm used to post apocalyptic games being filled with creepy inhabitants or mutants or whatever, but I've just been in a built- up area that's even more eery by being completely empty, with just plants and a few small animals.

This post has been edited by Traveller: 06 March 2017 - 11:52 PM

So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#62 User is offline   Serenity 

• Saki!!!!!
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 07 March 2017 - 08:28 AM

View PostTraveller, on 06 March 2017 - 08:26 PM, said:

There's another nearby, you have to climb a building Lara style to reach it. Scan for a crate up high.

Checking out Cauldron Sigma...

I was going to ask if anyone had done that yet. I'm thinking of doing it tonight. I only intended to play for half an hour last night and ended up spending over two hours doing a couple of the optional errands from Mother's Crown, playing with new weapons and armour (I love how you can choose a set of armour you like from a merchant and, if you are missing something you need in order to buy it, set it as a 'job' so it shows up in your quests), and [Elmer Fudd voice] hunting wabbits (and being vewy, vewy quiet whilst doing it). Also found the first three vantage points (including the one you mention) and cleared a couple of Corrupted Zones. So much fun without advancing the main quest at all.

View PostBriar King, on 07 March 2017 - 01:30 AM, said:

Last night I begun a part in one of the main quest that opens up right after the Proving. Like literally right after...
Spoiler

I loved that whole quest sequence Posted Image

#63 User is offline   Raymond Luxury Yacht 

• Throatwobbler Mangrove
  • Group: Grumpy Old Sods
  • Interests:Quiet desperation and self-loathing

Posted 07 March 2017 - 09:35 PM

I'm torn between wanting to avoid spoilers and wanting to discuss the game with you guys. I don't have much to contribute at this point, I'm just about to go on the early quest that you need fire arrows for. Lots to do, but you know a game is good when you get sad it's going to end someday and you only have a few hours in!
Error: Signature not valid

#64 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 07 March 2017 - 10:51 PM

View PostBriar King, on 07 March 2017 - 10:01 PM, said:

Don't read any tags till you get in more.you ll know when.

Man that damn Cauldron. 3 times I've died now.

Ed: wow that only took 5 tries.

What, the end part?
Spoiler

I really want that Heavy Stealth outfit but I can't get a Bellowback heart, no matter how many I kill. Just trecked west across to the border gate, clearing corrupted zones along the way. Cool frost-resist outfit for sale up there, plus a view out over the 'fogged' western valley area (with more cauldron symbols!)

Getting ahead of myself though, need to go back to finish up a couple of quests and try to find that powercell I missed.

@RLY I'm happy to discuss the game, I'll just be careful to spoiler anything that I think needs it.

This post has been edited by Traveller: 08 March 2017 - 09:40 AM

So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#65 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 08 March 2017 - 08:01 AM

That cracked me up too! Because when I did it, it surprised me and flew up... I took careful aim, and hit it first go.

Then I watched it fall, slowly down, down... and down, irretrievably over the cliff edge I was near.

#66 User is offline   Serenity 

• Saki!!!!!

Posted 08 March 2017 - 08:57 AM

View PostBriar King, on 07 March 2017 - 10:01 PM, said:

Man that damn Cauldron. 3 times I've died now.

I did that last night, too. I only died once, and that was when evading enemies I managed to roll off the side of one of those extendable bridges and plummeted to my death :)

Spoiler

I encountered three new (to me) enemy types last night. Stalkers are fun Posted Image

I need to go back to Mother's Crown cos I think I've got at least one quest to finish there before I head west.

This post has been edited by Serenity: 08 March 2017 - 08:58 AM

#67 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 08 March 2017 - 09:47 AM

What levels are you guys at now? I'm on 17, got about 2ks worth of shards and have invested in stealth and forager, with the R1 critical strike. Haven't so far got any of the precision or health ones though.

#68 User is offline   Serenity 

• Saki!!!!!

Posted 08 March 2017 - 10:45 AM

I just hit 18 when I finished the Cauldron. I've got nearly 3k shards at the moment (I'm hoarding, ready to buy better weapons - hopefully when I get to the Daytower, or whatever it's called). I've got all but a couple of the baseline skills from each tree. After that I've mainly gone into Brave to get Knockdown and Double Shot. I still want Concentration+ from Brave, but I think Triple Shot is more important to me at the moment. After that I want to get the Healer/Herbalist skills from Forager, and then head for Tinker. Combat Override would be useful, too. I did pick up Strike From Above from the Prowler tree, which is fun.

#69 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 08 March 2017 - 01:01 PM

Just finished the Prologue (which I quite enjoyed), but so far this game is excellent and I've barely started.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#70 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 08 March 2017 - 01:38 PM

I think my next will be the reclaim tripwire/traps one, as I keep making and using them but have to leave behind any that don't get triggered.

I've reached the Daytower but the quests there lead further west towards Meridian, so I'm going to head back. The gate to the Mothers shrine where the power cell is located is still closed for some reason - I hope it's not a glitch.

#71 User is offline   Serenity 

• Saki!!!!!

Posted 08 March 2017 - 02:00 PM

View PostTraveller, on 08 March 2017 - 01:38 PM, said:

I've reached the Daytower but the quests there lead further west towards Meridian, so I'm going to head back. The gate to the Mothers shrine where the power cell is located is still closed for some reason - I hope it's not a glitch.

I was reading about this on reddit yesterday and people were posting ways around it, then the developers came in and said there was no need as there's a quest towards the latter stages that takes you back there anyway, and it's before you can get the last power cell so it doesn't delay you getting into the armoury.

The workaround involved running up to the closed gate, then running out of the village and across the bridge. The gate then opens and you're supposed to be able to run back and through it. Apparently it only works at night and if you don't fast travel all the way there Posted Image I'll see if I can find the thread again.

Re the skill for re-using traps, yeah, that would be handy.

ETA: Here's the reddit thread https://www.reddit.c...in_entry_trick/

This post has been edited by Serenity: 08 March 2017 - 02:10 PM

#72 User is offline   WinterPhoenix 

• First Sword

Posted 08 March 2017 - 02:27 PM

So despite Amazon being sold out and telling me I had a 1-2 month waiting time, my copy of this arrived today! Very happy in a bemused sort of way lol Good thing I didn't cancel the order I guess, bank still haven't sent the replacement bank card yet.

Anyhow going to get it on for the first time in a bit, let people know my impressions when I've had a good go at it :)

EDIT: At 40gb's, I'ma have to delete more stuff from my PS4, I've only got a few games on there atm, it's messed up. The Witcher 3, DA:I, Skyrim and Fallout 4 between them take up soooooo much room. Would just delete FIFA, but that's the game I play whenever I can't be bothered to play anything else.

This post has been edited by WinterPhoenix: 08 March 2017 - 02:36 PM

"I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust." T.S Eliot - The Wasteland

#73 User is offline   Serenity 

• Saki!!!!!

Posted 08 March 2017 - 02:35 PM

:)

#74 User is offline   WinterPhoenix 

• First Sword

Posted 08 March 2017 - 02:40 PM

Oh and the back of my copy of the game says explicitly, 1 thousand years in the future. I'm not sure if this is just a guess and the game's story makes it apparent that it's not been as much time as people think, but that's what the back of the game says at any rate. 1000 years seems a tad long for much to have survived, it does, however, seem like a decent amount of time for machines to have become as varied as they seem from what I've heard. Going to play now lol
"I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust." T.S Eliot - The Wasteland

#75 User is offline   Serenity 

• Saki!!!!!

Posted 08 March 2017 - 02:45 PM

View PostWinterPhoenix, on 08 March 2017 - 02:27 PM, said:

So despite Amazon being sold out and telling me I had a 1-2 month waiting time, my copy of this arrived today! Very happy in a bemused sort of way lol Good thing I didn't cancel the order I guess, bank still haven't sent the replacement bank card yet.

I noticed Amazon had it back in stock Posted Image

#76 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 08 March 2017 - 07:21 PM

I didn't look at the box, just opened it, but yes, one thousand years in the future.

Can't look at spoilerish vids yet, haven't even seen a Thunderjaw yet, sounds awesome though.

Re. the gate.. seen some ways past the gate by going over the cliffs. I might just wait and check them later.

This post has been edited by Traveller: 08 March 2017 - 07:21 PM

#77 User is offline   Serenity 

• Saki!!!!!

Posted 08 March 2017 - 07:34 PM

View PostWinterPhoenix, on 08 March 2017 - 02:27 PM, said:

EDIT: At 40gb's, I'ma have to delete more stuff from my PS4, I've only got a few games on there atm, it's messed up. The Witcher 3, DA:I, Skyrim and Fallout 4 between them take up soooooo much room. Would just delete FIFA, but that's the game I play whenever I can't be bothered to play anything else.

Apparently the PS4 firmware update 4.5 is rolling out tomorrow and includes support for extended storage, so you can store and play games from an external hard drive. Should help!

View PostTraveller, on 08 March 2017 - 07:21 PM, said:

Can't look at spoilerish vids yet, haven't even seen a Thunderjaw yet, sounds awesome though.

Fair enough :) Have a look at a later time, if you remember to. There's nothing spoilery in it plot-wise or anything, just a Thunderjaw dying.

#78 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 08 March 2017 - 07:42 PM

Don't know if saved games work the same on PS4 as on PC but Bethesda save files are notoriously huge. Try and look at your user data, you might be able to release a bunch of space that way.

#79 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 08 March 2017 - 07:53 PM

View PostBriar King, on 08 March 2017 - 07:29 PM, said:

It ll still be a bit for me till I get over west way. I'm still doing all these sidequest.

I read quite a well written review on amazon earlier, which made a good point - the map isn't flooded with quests and collectables. Sure there are some - plenty in fact, to keep playing. But there isn't that over-saturation that I've found with other games recently, that ends up being a turn off as you feel like you're missing out if you don't complete them all. Horizon so far has found a good balance. I'm interested but not overwhelmed.

I've found that generally across the game - not too many weapons, not an overly complex menu full of upgrades and outfits with minute differences, not so many necessary ingredients and items that fill the inventory. It's a good system.

I've spent ages in games like Mass Effect, Dragon Age, Witcher, trying to find the best armor or whatever from a hundred items and collected ingredients. Sometimes you just want to upgrade and get on with it. I think Hzd is a great combination of the best parts from a number of great games, and in many areas is surpassing them.

This post has been edited by Traveller: 08 March 2017 - 07:56 PM

#80 User is offline   Serenity 

• Saki!!!!!

Posted 08 March 2017 - 09:30 PM

View PostTraveller, on 08 March 2017 - 07:53 PM, said:

I think Hzd is a great combination of the best parts from a number of great games, and in many areas is surpassing them.

This is exactly the way I'm feeling about it. It's just a beautifully put together package. Nothing's leaping out at me as a shortcoming or annoyance. I can't think of anything in the game so far that I dislike, apart from the prologue, maybe - and that was kind of redeemed for me by the
Spoiler

Does anyone know what the level cap is? I don't think there's a New Game+ option, so I'm guessing, whatever the max level is, you have to reach it in one playthrough.

Share this topic:

• 23 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

5 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users