Posted 01 March 2017 - 12:00 AM

Deleted

This post has been edited by .-‘: 04 October 2021 - 11:47 PM

Drive by bye bye king on my dumb horse

#2 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 01 March 2017 - 01:37 AM

I have that pesky disorder where I have to earn a paycheck every two weeks (aka Work). So I won't be able to get into this until the weekend. Ho Hum, no rest for the weary, back to the salt mines.Posted Image

#3 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile
  • Group: Malazan Artist

Posted 01 March 2017 - 08:24 AM

Damn, just starting 12 hour shift... then I have to make a viking helmet for my boys book day at school... but at least I have a day off tomorrow!

Edit... package delivered

This post has been edited by Traveller: 01 March 2017 - 10:06 AM

So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#4 User is offline   WinterPhoenix 

• First Sword

Posted 01 March 2017 - 06:27 PM

Still debating whether or not to buy this game tbh.

Btw, I will use spoiler tags if I do buy it, I apologise if I ruined anything for you in the FFXV thread, I was using spoiler tags at first, but yeah, sorry if I ruined anything won't happen again.

Anyhow, should I buy this game? Does it have more going for it than it's looks? Also do you think it looks better than The Witcher 3?

This post has been edited by WinterPhoenix: 01 March 2017 - 06:29 PM

"I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust." T.S Eliot - The Wasteland

#5 User is offline   WinterPhoenix 

• First Sword

Posted 01 March 2017 - 08:52 PM

Had a look at alot of images (no videos, so no spoilers) since last posting and it really does look incredible, obviously only actually playing the game will really give me an idea, but damn it looks sumptuous!

Money might be an issue though, if only because I've suddenly found myself needing new combat boots and trainers at the same time plus upcoming birthdays, none of which are mine :p

Think I'ma definitely get this though, hopefully soon, hearing nothing but good things tbh.

#6 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 01 March 2017 - 11:27 PM

Finally got started!

It really doesn't disappoint in the graphics department. And the human animation is great, very fluid - I liked the way young Aloy pinwheels her arms when running downhill, nicely observed touch.

Only just through the first intro stages, but so far it just looks amazing.

I'd say even this early on that it looks even nicer than witcher3 - there's like an added layer of detail over everything.
So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#7 User is offline   Serenity 

• Saki!!!!!

Posted 02 March 2017 - 10:40 AM

Started it last night - it came out a day later in the UK. It's amazing. I thought the prologue with young Aloy was a bit ho-hum but once she was grown up and it opened up properly things really got started. Luring and stealth-killing my first Watcher was very satisfying Posted Image

Course, I'm coming to this off the back of Witcher 3 and The Last of Us, so the story and voice acting are noticeably poorer in comparison (so far), but that's hardly surprising.

#8 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 02 March 2017 - 02:30 PM

Just, Wow.

This landscape is incredible. The sound and music is spot on. The rivers actually pull you along. While creeping about you startle animal like ducks and geese. There are fireflies at dusk, and the moss and ivy textures look great. And then you get moonlight... on the grass, in her hair, with foggy beams coming down from a moon that disappears behind the clouds. I keep wanting to take screenshots! The sunrise was awesome too.

I'm just hunting around for resources to get a few basic upgrades, plus I've done a couple of side quests. A few messy takedowns to start, but once you get the hang of dodging and sticking arrows quickly into their vital bits it all starts to feel very satisfying. So fluid, from climbing to running to swimming.

Oh and the map.. I didn't realise just how 3d it was until I zoomed round a little. It's got all the contours; and the best thing is, all the onscreen highlights and tech is all justified with the thing she's wearing.

#9 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Martyr of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Soccer, Chess, swimming, books, misc
  • Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 02 March 2017 - 02:46 PM

Sounds fun. Goddamn Sony and their exclusives, :p
The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard
THE CONTESTtm WINNER--чемпіон самоконтролю

View PostJump Around, on 23 October 2011 - 11:04 AM, said:

And I want to state that Ment has out-weaseled me by far in this game.

#10 User is offline   WinterPhoenix 

• First Sword

Posted 02 March 2017 - 05:30 PM

View PostBriar King, on 01 March 2017 - 09:17 PM, said:

You are female correct? I maybe confusing with another Winter. I'm really interested in getting a girl power air fist reaction to Aloy. She is awesome.

My friends and family will be very surprised to realise I've changed gender over night :) But yeah you must be confusing me :p

Alright, everything I hear about this game just seems to get better, am getting paid for some decorating work I am doing with my dad at the end of this week, so hopefully I'ma be able to buy it next week sometime because reviews coupled with some of the stuning pictures I've seen are giving me serious needs to play this game!

Only issue is I'm so low on space on my PS4, it's actually ridiculous how few games I can have on there :/

#11 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 02 March 2017 - 06:29 PM

This must be the first game ever where BK hasn't asked about the Gb size! :p

The thing with landscapes in open world games is getting the right balance of detail to make them immersive. For some reason, even after W3, I still look back on Red Dead Redemption as being the best representation of the 'wild.'

So far I'm getting the same sort of immersion. Also when I said it feels fluid I mean that Aloy goes into swim/climb/fight mode without that obvious change into a different control mode. And there is no breakup for loading either.

I can't wait to see what the rest of the map is like.

This post has been edited by Traveller: 02 March 2017 - 06:30 PM

#12 User is offline   WinterPhoenix 

• First Sword

Posted 02 March 2017 - 06:37 PM

I've seen alot of incredulously good reports about the lack of loading times for an open-world game, to the point where I've seen people literally asking how on earth they managed it. The fluiditiy of movement modes sounds great as well. Graphically (and specifically 'The Wild' as well) Witcher 3 is still the one to beat for me at this point - not including PC perhaps, though The Witcher 3 on 4k Ultra on a powerful machine is a thing of beauty - but the pictures I've seen so far mean I won't be surprised if I have a new winner here.

I do agree that Red Dead Redmeption did that whole thing really, really well though, for sure.

This post has been edited by WinterPhoenix: 02 March 2017 - 06:38 PM

#13 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 02 March 2017 - 07:55 PM

I don't know, I've played Witcher 3, but don't rate it as highly as some. I've seen a few people saying that HZD isn't as good; personally I know which I prefer, not necessarily on look alone but .. feel, I guess. If you're in an environment where you are looking at a dawn through the trees, or the way the moon is reflecting in a river you're walking along in the same way you would if you were really doing so, then you're onto a winner.

#14 User is offline   WinterPhoenix 

• First Sword

Posted 02 March 2017 - 08:18 PM

View PostTraveller, on 02 March 2017 - 07:55 PM, said:

I don't know, I've played Witcher 3, but don't rate it as highly as some. I've seen a few people saying that HZD isn't as good; personally I know which I prefer, not necessarily on look alone but .. feel, I guess. If you're in an environment where you are looking at a dawn through the trees, or the way the moon is reflecting in a river you're walking along in the same way you would if you were really doing so, then you're onto a winner.

Tbh The Witcher 3 is hands down top 5 games in the last 10 years for me, so it'd be hard for me to be higher on it really. Obviously I won't get into comparisons until I play HZD (hopefully soon), but I haven't been this excited to play a game I didn't already know I was probably going to enjoy (i.e. Souls series, Bethesda etc) in a long, long time.

This post has been edited by WinterPhoenix: 02 March 2017 - 08:20 PM

#15 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 02 March 2017 - 11:13 PM

I think for me, the inventory system in W3 was cumbersome, and the crafting and endless searching through crates and barrels etc for ingredients and upgrades was not much fun. I gave up on it when I reached a town and realised I'd have to search through all the buildings looking for things, and I lost the will at that point. (Lots of the good stuff has clearly been lifted from W3, however, and appears in HZD though.. if you like following trails and looking for clues

The system in HZD is simple and intuitive and doesn't require a lot of time spent in menu screens to get what you need. Its far closer to Red Dead - to the point that while searching through sacks and boxes get tedious, hunting wildlife (and wild cyberbeasts) for upgrades is not, it's actually something you want to spend time on.

I've just been upgrading all the pouches, quivers and storage I own, by shooting animals and bringing down machines. Got some new gadgets and a sharpshooter bow which is proving useful already.

Even managed to progress the story a little!

(I got some extra content from preordering - but seriously, why give a bow with poorer stats than your starting one as a bonus?!
At least the outfit is better, and has two upgrade slots.)

This post has been edited by Traveller: 02 March 2017 - 11:22 PM

#16 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 03 March 2017 - 06:19 AM

View PostBriar King, on 03 March 2017 - 12:48 AM, said:

Trav is that red glow at dawn not fucking epic or what? It's my favorite thing since it last only a few seconds.

Yes, it looks great, esp the way it will tint the edge of every leaf on the ivy that wraps round the trees. I like that tree shadow effect at dawn and dusk too, makes me pause to look every time.

I wouldn't worry about the guide for this, its pretty straight forward and it will be fun returning to get any really hidden stuff later. I love having all that blank map to explore and question marks in the bestiary - guide will spoil that.

BK what skills are you using most? They all look pretty good tbh. I've been using the stealth strike, and I really like the slow-down effects while shooting and sliding as it looks awesome! I haven't got the critical strike or precision ones yet; I always try to get scavenger perks early on as you collect more from the start.

This post has been edited by Traveller: 03 March 2017 - 07:58 AM

#17 User is offline   Serenity 

• Saki!!!!!

Posted 03 March 2017 - 10:14 AM

Spent about five hours on it yesterday. Totally hooked. My evening finished with:

Spoiler

If I found that a tough fight I can't wait to see the bigger robots later on. I also thought that the story improved after The Proving was done. Posted Image

I've been using Lure and Stealth Strike the most, and also Concentration. The one I really want to get to fast is Knockdown to combine it with Critical Strike.

#18 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 03 March 2017 - 10:28 AM

I'll be going for the Proving this eve. I've just been perfecting takedowns of the smaller things, and seeing what moves work best. I love the slo-mo arrow shot as something is charging; hitting it so it slides past sparking and hissing, and finishing it with a spear thrust.

Haven't seen anything bigger than a sabretooth yet.

#19 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 03 March 2017 - 11:45 PM

Wow the whole Proving thing was quite.. extensive!

Game opened right up now. New weapons to buy, outfit upgrades, Vantages, maps to artifacts - and a Grazer to ride about on! Although I like being able to pick resources on the move.

Regarding the whole main story, what do you think
Spoiler

This post has been edited by Traveller: 03 March 2017 - 11:46 PM

#20 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 04 March 2017 - 06:54 AM

Oh btw I can see why you want a guide now!

The game has been good at introducing things slowly - the full size is starting to become clearer.

This post has been edited by Traveller: 04 March 2017 - 06:56 AM

Share this topic:

• 23 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users