• 17 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Dune Remake

#21 User is offline   acesn8s 

• Soletaken
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Reading, video games, role playing games, Fountain Pens, journals...

Posted 04 February 2019 - 08:41 PM

Lots of heart plugs.
“The others followed, and found themselves in a small, stuffy basement, which would have been damp, smelly, close, and dark, were it not, in fact, well-lit, which prevented it from being dark.”
― Steven Brust, The Phoenix Guards

#22 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 04 February 2019 - 08:46 PM

Did you know in the videogame Emperor Battle for Dune's live action scenes they had Michael McShane as the Harkonnen Baron and Michael Dorn as the Atreides Duke? Who wouldn't want Friar Tuck versus Worf in a new movie, I ask you
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#23 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 05 February 2019 - 08:44 AM

View PostIlluyankas, on 04 February 2019 - 08:46 PM, said:

Did you know in the videogame Emperor Battle for Dune's live action scenes they had Michael McShane as the Harkonnen Baron and Michael Dorn as the Atreides Duke? Who wouldn't want Friar Tuck versus Worf in a new movie, I ask you

The real question is which brother you picked. Smart or Beef?
Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#24 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 05 February 2019 - 10:50 AM

View PostMaark Abbott, on 05 February 2019 - 08:44 AM, said:

Picked smart, actually struggled with his mission. Failed multiple times (unusual for me in RTS games), picked beef finished harkonnen campaign. Went back and did smart / peroxide hair.

Seeing smart being tortured by teeth drills had a lasting impression on me

Harkonnen suffered because their best unit the missile unit tended to overkill one unit whereas the atreides minataur and Ordos Cobra just artilleries everything to death from miles away on a hill

#25 User is offline   Silencer 

• Manipulating Special Data
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Malazan Book of the Fallen series.
    Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 05 February 2019 - 11:49 AM

View PostCause, on 05 February 2019 - 10:50 AM, said:

Picked smart, actually struggled with his mission. Failed multiple times (unusual for me in RTS games), picked beef finished harkonnen campaign. Went back and did smart / peroxide hair.

Harkonnen suffered because their best unit the missile unit tended to overkill one unit whereas the atreides minataur and Ordos Cobra just artilleries everything to death from miles away on a hill

Oh man, I really enjoyed that game. Particularly liked how they made the Sardaukar/Fremen into neutral factions you could essentially ally with to obtain their units.

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

#26 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 05 February 2019 - 12:40 PM

View PostSilencer, on 05 February 2019 - 11:49 AM, said:

Oh man, I really enjoyed that game. Particularly liked how they made the Sardaukar/Fremen into neutral factions you could essentially ally with to obtain their units.

Me too, I loved that! I did manage to occasionally ally with both somehow but otherwise I was always torn between the fremen and Sardaukar. Sardauakar elite infantry were murder machines though that could kill almost anything, except fremen snipers.

#27 User is offline   Silencer 

• Manipulating Special Data
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Malazan Book of the Fallen series.
    Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 05 February 2019 - 01:56 PM

View PostCause, on 05 February 2019 - 12:40 PM, said:

Me too, I loved that! I did manage to occasionally ally with both somehow but otherwise I was always torn between the fremen and Sardaukar. Sardauakar elite infantry were murder machines though that could kill almost anything, except fremen snipers.

Indeed, it did sometimes feel like the Fremen were considerably weaker. Then again, if you got one to ride a Sandworm and the enemy was caught on sand...muahahah. But I did tend to go with the Sardaukar as they were more generally OP. Not that the Fremen units were bad or anything, and obviously they got some pretty nifty advantages, but you did tend to have to use them more tactically, where the Sardaukar were just point-and-kill.

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

#28 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl

Posted 05 February 2019 - 01:58 PM

View PostSilencer, on 05 February 2019 - 01:56 PM, said:

View PostCause, on 05 February 2019 - 12:40 PM, said:

Indeed, it did sometimes feel like the Fremen were considerably weaker. Then again, if you got one to ride a Sandworm and the enemy was caught on sand...muahahah. But I did tend to go with the Sardaukar as they were more generally OP. Not that the Fremen units were bad or anything, and obviously they got some pretty nifty advantages, but you did tend to have to use them more tactically, where the Sardaukar were just point-and-kill.

"Hah! They die quickly!"

#29 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 05 February 2019 - 07:53 PM

That is exactly how I did it and exactly how I felt about the Harkonnen missile tanks; that said air dropping a bunch of devastators was always hilarious

Also did you play the version before or after they patched the Harkonnen air defense platform to stop being able to shoot ground targets? Cause I only played the version before and they are hilarious until two AA units turn up at once
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#30 User is offline   LinearPhilosopher 

• House Knight
  • Interests:Everything.

Posted 06 February 2019 - 03:06 AM

View PostIlluyankas, on 05 February 2019 - 07:53 PM, said:

That is exactly how I did it and exactly how I felt about the Harkonnen missile tanks; that said air dropping a bunch of devastators was always hilarious

Also did you play the version before or after they patched the Harkonnen air defense platform to stop being able to shoot ground targets? Cause I only played the version before and they are hilarious until two AA units turn up at once

Sounds pretty epic. What i remember is playing Dune 2000 with John Rhys Davies as the Atreides guy

#31 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl

Posted 06 February 2019 - 08:15 AM

View PostLinearPhilosopher, on 06 February 2019 - 03:06 AM, said:

View PostIlluyankas, on 05 February 2019 - 07:53 PM, said:

Sounds pretty epic. What i remember is playing Dune 2000 with John Rhys Davies as the Atreides guy

Mentat Noree Moneo.

#32 User is offline   Werthead 

• Ascendant

Posted 16 February 2019 - 06:57 PM

The cast is getting more insane.

Timothée Chalamet as Paul Atreides
Rebecca Ferguson as Jessica Atreides
Oscar Isaac as Duke Leto Atreides
Stellan Skarsgård as Baron Vladimir Harkonnen
Dave Bautista as "The Beast" Rabban
Charlotte Rampling as Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Javier Bardem as Stilgar
Zendaya as Chani
Josh Brolin as Gurney Halleck
Jason Momoa as Duncan Idaho

Release date is 20 November 2020.
Visit The Wertzone for reviews of SF&F books, DVDs and computer games!

"Try standing out in a winter storm all night and see how tough you are. Start with that. Then go into a bar and pick a fight and see how tough you are. And then go home and break crockery over your head. Start with those three and you'll be good to go."
- Bruce Campbell on how to be as cool as he is

#33 User is offline   Coco with marshmallows 

• DIIIIIIIIIIVVVEEEEE
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 16 February 2019 - 09:53 PM

View PostWerthead, on 16 February 2019 - 06:57 PM, said:

The cast is getting more insane.

Timothée Chalamet as Paul Atreides
Rebecca Ferguson as Jessica Atreides
Oscar Isaac as Duke Leto Atreides
Stellan Skarsgård as Baron Vladimir Harkonnen
Dave Bautista as "The Beast" Rabban
Charlotte Rampling as Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Javier Bardem as Stilgar
Zendaya as Chani
Josh Brolin as Gurney Halleck
Jason Momoa as Duncan Idaho

Release date is 20 November 2020.

Good lord those are two IMPRESSIVE additions.

Now somebody get Patrick Stewart to play the Emperor.
meh. Link was dead :(

#34 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl

Posted 18 February 2019 - 09:00 AM

Drax as Rabban? Harkonnens going stealth mode.

#35 User is offline   Coco with marshmallows 

• DIIIIIIIIIIVVVEEEEE
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 18 February 2019 - 09:27 PM

No casting news for Feyd yet?

some big pants to fill.....
meh. Link was dead :(

#36 User is offline   EmperorMagus 

• Scarecrow of Low House PEN
  • Group: Tehol's Blissful Chickens

Posted 18 February 2019 - 10:35 PM

All this Dune news has put me in the mood to reread the first book and finally get around to reading the remaining five books of the series.

I'm also curious, is the 1984 movie worth watching?
Dulce et decorum est
Pro patria mori
#sarcasm

#37 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl

Posted 19 February 2019 - 08:28 AM

View PostEmperorMagus, on 18 February 2019 - 10:35 PM, said:

All this Dune news has put me in the mood to reread the first book and finally get around to reading the remaining five books of the series.

I'm also curious, is the 1984 movie worth watching?

Yes, but be prepared for it to be cheese.

#38 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 19 February 2019 - 01:16 PM

I would recommend watching the SYFY channel mini series over the movie if you have the time. They did a decent job with a smaller budget and didn't go cheese.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#39 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 04 June 2019 - 01:15 PM

Not much, most recent news is that the 2020 Epic Will ‘Honor Everything’ About the Novel

And honestly, I trust this because Villeneuve is nothing if not a stickler for the source material on his films.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#40 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 11 June 2019 - 02:33 AM

Posted ImagePosted Image

'Dune' Series Ordered at WarnerMedia Streaming Service, Denis Villeneuve to Direct

Posted Image

Share this topic:

• 17 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users