• You cannot reply to this topic

Dune Remake

#101 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 11 September 2020 - 02:21 PM

View PostCyphon, on 11 September 2020 - 11:12 AM, said:

They could say crusade in the trailer and then jihad in the film, that way they don't risk putting people off until they're in the cinema.

Who is "people to be catered to" in this sentence and who is not?

The source material is heavily invested in this being a jihad. There is even a prequel written by his son called Dune: The Butlerian Jihad, which rather baldly explains what the struggle is against - oppressors and the machine overlords.

I understand that there's a large portion of the American audience and apparently the global audience that is going to be bothered by the usage of jihad and would be less or not bothered by the usage of crusade.

That's a shitty audience to cater to though.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#102 User is online   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 11 September 2020 - 04:05 PM

The correct answer is "Because money".
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#103 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 11 September 2020 - 04:22 PM

What's really interesting is that somehow, in the Western zeitgeist, the word Crusade seems to be less triggering for marketing than the word Jihad.

It's taken decades of teaching the idea that the Crusades were somehow a "good thing" or that they weren't so bad, or that they were inexplicably "righteous"...when they were LITERALLY a religious Christian mob descending/invading the lands of a people (Arabs and other inhabitants of the Fertile Crescent) who lived there in the name of their fictional deity to "recover it" from supposed heathens who lived there. There were NINE Crusades spread over 200 years. Between 1 and 3 million people were killed. If there is a worse and more brutal thing in the past of Christianity I'm not sure what it is.

But somehow...the blood-soaked Crusades, where white Europeans spent 200 years trying to eradicate a people from the lands they were born on for utterly no reason....are deemed as the kinder/less triggering term between Crusades and Jihad?

That's the part that should really bother people. Crusade should be the more feared term.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#104 User is offline   Cyphon 

• Cagey Bastard of TQB

Posted 11 September 2020 - 08:23 PM

View Postamphibian, on 11 September 2020 - 02:21 PM, said:

View PostCyphon, on 11 September 2020 - 11:12 AM, said:

They could say crusade in the trailer and then jihad in the film, that way they don't risk putting people off until they're in the cinema.

Who is "people to be catered to" in this sentence and who is not?

The source material is heavily invested in this being a jihad. There is even a prequel written by his son called Dune: The Butlerian Jihad, which rather baldly explains what the struggle is against - oppressors and the machine overlords.

I understand that there's a large portion of the American audience and apparently the global audience that is going to be bothered by the usage of jihad and would be less or not bothered by the usage of crusade.

That's a shitty audience to cater to though.

It is, but how was % of the fan people won't go because of no jihad, as opposed to % of general public who will in reality make or break the financing of this film if they associate it with jihad.

Dunno why they brought this on themselves. They could of just said Holy War.
Para todos todo, para nosotros nada.

MottI'd always pegged you as more of an Ublala

#105 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 12 September 2020 - 08:53 AM

If you say *the* crusades, it means the bloody holy wars run by the pope and co in the middle East hundreds of years ago.

The word crusade has now gone under a reverse metamorphosis of Jihad, where Jihad now (in the general unwashed masses eyes) means bloody struggle taken to another's lands and crusade means a campaign or struggle of any kind to right a perceived wrong or ideological battle.

Media use the word crusade here a lot and for trival things, its meaning has really shifted in general usage.

Now, the fact that the word originally coined for a Christian holy war that was fucking awful has now morphed into a much more beneficent word and Jihad (lets, for basic arguments sake) the islamic/Muslim equivalent (give me that for now) has gone the opposite direction to mean purely a visit holy war is not accidental.

But as sombra says, hey monies, and some of the white folks at the top think jihad has too many negative connotations now, not because of actual meaning, but because people are uneducated knee jerk reaction right wing Christian fuck wits.

#106 User is offline   Garak 

• Emperor
  • Interests:40k, Star Wars, Babylon 5, WW2, A Song of Ice and Fire, the Drenai series, the Riftwar and all that followed it, D&D, Vikings, the Malazan Book of the Fallen. I think you get the gist of it.

Posted 12 September 2020 - 10:16 AM

I always treated both words as meaning holy war. Which I always treated as land grabbing with a religious excuse - no better than standard land grabbing but it futile pretends it has moral high ground. Considering the massive war the Fremen wage across the Empire, I'd say Herbert also went for holy war when he said jihad. Either way this is a minor thing and not that relevant.

Not sure why he changed the gender of Lyet Kynes but as long as the character is still recognizable it's fine.

I'm interested in seeing how the Harkkonen are portrayed. Because they were a joke in the Lynch movie. I much prefered them in the mini series, where the Baron was a large ham.
The meaning of life is BOOM!!!

#107 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

• Malazan Yo Yo Champion 2009
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 14 September 2020 - 08:44 AM

I saw the trailer last night. I always thought I had read Dune years ago but from the trailer I guess I haven't. I wonder what I read instead. Anyway just here to say I have an inexplicable crush on Timothée Chalamet. Like really inexplicable.
Burn rubber =/= warp speed

#108 User is online   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 14 September 2020 - 10:09 AM

Maybe you want to mother him? He's about the same age as your sprout isn't he?

:D

This post has been edited by Tsundoku: 14 September 2020 - 10:10 AM

"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#109 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 14 September 2020 - 11:55 AM

Saw the trailer in the cinema on Saturday. Awesome stuff, looks like they are sticking to the first novel quite well. The clips of the sandworm looked bloody epic, it is HUGE.
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#110 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

Posted 14 September 2020 - 12:33 PM

View PostTsundoku, on 14 September 2020 - 10:09 AM, said:

Maybe you want to mother him? He's about the same age as your sprout isn't he?

:D

Like I say - inexplicable. I try not to think about it but then he pops up on screen and I'm left wondering why I feel funny. It took me a while to work out what it was!

#111 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 14 September 2020 - 12:38 PM

View PostMezla PigDog, on 14 September 2020 - 08:44 AM, said:

Anyway just here to say I have an inexplicable crush on Timothée Chalamet. Like really inexplicable.

That's his name? Timothée Chalamet? Could your name beee more pretentious???

#112 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 14 September 2020 - 01:18 PM

His dad is French. So not that weird surely? I mean, it isnt exactly laurant Alfalfa Llewelyn-Bowen the Third or somesuch.

Hadnt realised he was in Interstellar as well.
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#113 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

Posted 14 September 2020 - 01:23 PM

View PostGorefest, on 14 September 2020 - 01:18 PM, said:

His dad is French. So not that weird surely? I mean, it isnt exactly laurant Alfalfa Llewelyn-Bowen the Third or somesuch.

He must be an actual child in Interstellar. I had been considering a rewatch as it keeps popping up in conversation. That could cure me if I can get around to it.

#114 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 14 September 2020 - 01:37 PM

View PostMezla PigDog, on 14 September 2020 - 01:23 PM, said:

He must be an actual child in Interstellar. I had been considering a rewatch as it keeps popping up in conversation. That could cure me if I can get around to it.

I loathed the newest LITTLE WOMEN film (I'm a huge fan of the 1994 one)...but Chalamet is Teddy in it....and he's 100% the best part about it. I would watch him in anything, I find him to be a really solid young actor.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#115 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 14 September 2020 - 01:42 PM

The French are all pretentious by birth. It's in their genes. Along with terrible smoking habits, tight shirts and weird fondness for elongated bread.

#116 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 14 September 2020 - 03:55 PM

He's gorgeous. That part is like so uncontested that you're mostly all skipping over it.

He's also a very good actor.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#117 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 14 September 2020 - 04:01 PM

View Postamphibian, on 14 September 2020 - 03:55 PM, said:

He's gorgeous. That part is like so uncontested that you're mostly all skipping over it.

He's also a very good actor.

He is. I'm a heterosexual dude, but yeah in my opinion he joins the ranks of pretty men that are so attractive that it's unfair to the rest of us regular Shmoes. LOL

#118 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 14 September 2020 - 04:23 PM

Are you saying he's the Sarah Jessica Parker of the 2020s?

#119 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 14 September 2020 - 04:41 PM

View PostAptorian, on 14 September 2020 - 04:23 PM, said:

SJP has never been attractive.

#120 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 14 September 2020 - 04:50 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 14 September 2020 - 04:41 PM, said:

View PostAptorian, on 14 September 2020 - 04:23 PM, said:

SJP has never been attractive.

Attached File  40f.png (439.22K)
Number of downloads: 0

Share this topic:

• 18 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users