• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Soccer/Football/Futbol/Whatever in general The round ball game

#1081 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 20 April 2021 - 07:21 PM

Yeah I just saw Woodward is out. It's a step in the right direction but the Glazers need to go.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#1082 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 20 April 2021 - 09:51 PM

Even when (and I think it is a when now, it's crumbling, fuck you Perez Ha!) Liverpool pull back from it, I will not be supporting the club in any way that offers financial reward to them until FSG and Henry are gone.

Fuck them

#1083 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 20 April 2021 - 09:58 PM

How should I feel about Tottenham? Should I still throw my support behind them? Wolves are my other side, so maybe throw Spurs in the bin and go Wolves with complete devotion? My brother is a Gunners loyalist, should I kick him in the balls the next time I see him?

This post has been edited by Malankazooie: 20 April 2021 - 10:01 PM

#1084 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 20 April 2021 - 10:45 PM

Nope, let the fuckers bleed. Just because they saw the ravine they were speeding into and jumped out in the nick of time to save their skins, doesn't suddenly make them the good guys again. As long as these owners hold the clubs in their gredy clutches, they are a mockery to the game.

Adios Super League! It was fun while it lasted. The whole glorious 48 hours or so...

This post has been edited by Gorefest: 20 April 2021 - 10:50 PM

Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#1085 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 21 April 2021 - 12:34 PM

Well, that was quite a ride. They'll be making movies and/or TV shows about this. I dare say once the fallout has finally finished the scriptwriting will start.
Although having said that I think we'll be feeling the aftershocks of this for years or even decades to come. Holy shit but there's a LOT of ill-feeling out there between fans, clubs and owners. I think a lot of it was there all along, simmering away, but a lot just came out of nowhere just as the match was thrown by the announcement less than 72 hours ago.

Now I have to think more seriously about my second team, because I don't know when I'll feel better disposed toward MUFC. At least Woodward is gone, but the Glazers remain and fuck them right up the arse sideways with razor wire.

Always liked QPR because of the name but they haven't been in the EPL for eons. I admired the way Leicester won their Premiership. Always had a (small) soft spot for Leeds and Villa - mostly because Villa are such a non-entity it's hard to dislike them.

Then there's Forest because Robin Hood, duh. But again they're not in the top flight.

The rest of the EPL I'm either indifferent toward or openly despise.

Decisions, decisions.
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#1086 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 21 April 2021 - 04:12 PM

Sheffield Wednesday or Notts County, of course!

This post has been edited by Gorefest: 21 April 2021 - 04:12 PM

Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#1087 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 22 April 2021 - 06:44 AM

Perez now lamenting that no one will be able to afford Mbappe or Haaland without the super League.
Hmmmm, if only there was another way to solve players being fucking ridiculously over priced and over paid. I mean, if we went back in time and stopped Real before the Galacticos policy began....

#1088 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 22 April 2021 - 08:30 AM

View PostGorefest, on 21 April 2021 - 04:12 PM, said:

Sheffield Wednesday or Notts County, of course!

You're cute. :p

View PostMacros, on 22 April 2021 - 06:44 AM, said:

Perez now lamenting that no one will be able to afford Mbappe or Haaland without the super League. Hmmmm, if only there was another way to solve players being fucking ridiculously over priced and over paid. I mean, if we went back in time and stopped Real before the Galacticos policy began....

Again, you're cute. How's that putting-the-genie-back-in-the-bottle going for you eh? :p
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#1089 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 22 April 2021 - 06:50 PM

Do you guys think the Liver-pud-slappers anthem will take on a new meaning after this debacle?

#1090 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 04 May 2021 - 03:11 PM

Mourhino lands at Roma.

When do you think the new manager will be installed at Spurs? Current is just interim to finish out the season, right?

#1091 User is offline   Siergiej 

• High Fist

Posted 04 May 2021 - 03:29 PM

Spurs will definitely hire someone long term in the Summer, unless Mason pulls a miracle and qualifies for Champions League next season.

I'll be surprised if Mourinho lasts at Roma, though on the other hand they probably can't afford to fire him anyway. So a long 3 years ahead of their fans.

#1092 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 04 May 2021 - 03:47 PM

Yeah, but they may just keep Mason on for next season as well, as he has been doing quite well since Mourinho left.

For years (since the days of Martin Jol, really), Spurs have been working to break into the upper ranks, at first mainly with up and coming young coaches. Mourinho was really the first big A-list coach that they managed to rope in, but that hasn't resulted in the successes that they were hoping for. So no clue whether they will want to continue on that route, or instead opt for less high profile coaches who are doing well domestically (e.g. Potter, Rodgers) and have a playing style that fits Tottenham.

I think Erik ten Hag was their main candidate, but he just renewed his contract with Ajax. Brendan Rodgers is playing CL with Leicester next year, so I imagine it is unlikely that he will be interested. People mention Allegri, but his playing style is quite cynical and negative, similar to Mourinho, so I don't think that is what Tottenham really wants (never understood Mourinho's appointment in the first place). They'll probably end up getting someone from Italy or Spain. Maybe the Sevilla manager? They are doing very well at present.

#1093 User is offline   Cyphon 

• Cagey Bastard of TQB
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 04 May 2021 - 05:08 PM

I become more and more convinced that the Director of Sport is the key person in this world of hire and fire scapegoat coaches/managers. If there's no continuity, philosophy and (succession) planning you're screwed. Not sure Spurs have had much success with a DoS, Levy looms too large.
Para todos todo, para nosotros nada.

MottI'd always pegged you as more of an Ublala

#1094 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 04 May 2021 - 06:06 PM

#1095 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 04 May 2021 - 09:21 PM

Pep's got the lads in top form. Onto the UCL final. Sometimes the best De Bruyne highlights are the ones where he doesn't score.

#1096 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 04 May 2021 - 11:50 PM

If MCFC win the UCL Pep is gone the next day, you heard it here first...
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#1097 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 05 May 2021 - 09:25 PM

Chelsea into the UCL final. I've disdain for Chelsea. Can't really stand them, to be direct about it. But I guess I'm pulling for Chelsea because they have American Christian Pulisic. And hot-diggety-dog, he did his part in seeing them into the final.

#1098 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 05 May 2021 - 10:49 PM

Urgh, another all-English final. Don't get me wrong, I'm very happy for my UK brethren, but the big PL money is slowly choking the entertainment out of European football. Long gone are the days where you could see clubs like Red Star Belgrade, Ajax, Anderlecht, Benfica, Porto, Lyons or PSV float to the top of the pile once in a while. It has gotten very stale and predictable, 95% of the time you'll end up with a pick of Real, Barca, bayern, PSG, an Italian club and the big 4-6 English clubs competing for the prizes. It is almost a shame that the Super League has collapsed, as it would have taken the bulk of the self proclaimed elitist moneybags out of the running.

This post has been edited by Gorefest: 05 May 2021 - 10:50 PM

#1099 User is offline   Siergiej 

• High Fist

Posted 05 May 2021 - 11:08 PM

View PostGorefest, on 04 May 2021 - 03:47 PM, said:

I think Erik ten Hag was their main candidate, but he just renewed his contract with Ajax. Brendan Rodgers is playing CL with Leicester next year, so I imagine it is unlikely that he will be interested. People mention Allegri, but his playing style is quite cynical and negative, similar to Mourinho, so I don't think that is what Tottenham really wants (never understood Mourinho's appointment in the first place). They'll probably end up getting someone from Italy or Spain. Maybe the Sevilla manager? They are doing very well at present.

I rate Allegri very high but I doubt he'd be interested even if Spurs came knocking. He seems very reluctant to leave Italy. Apparently he had an offer on the table from Madrid and declined. And if someone is not willing to leave their country for Real Madrid, Tottenham won't convince him either. He'll probably go back to Juve or Milan soon.

As for the Champions League... ugh, vom. After the Superleague nonsense I frankly lost interest in the outcomes of this season's competitions, with the exception of France: really rooting for Lille to win the title. But still, oligarchy derby in the final just sucks. I'll probably end up watching anyway, but this is my first time in 20 years considering skipping a CL final.

#1100 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 08 May 2021 - 04:30 PM

huh, matchday 35 in EPL has Man City vs. Chelsea. You think this will presage what the UCL final results will be?

Share this topic:

• 83 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users