Star Trek Discovery Predictions on the new series

#21 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 13 September 2016 - 03:04 AM

View PostQuickTidal, on 12 September 2016 - 10:23 PM, said:

View Postpolishgenius, on 12 September 2016 - 08:01 PM, said:

Unless you're basically anywhere in the world that's not America, in which case it's on Netflix.

In Canada it will be on Space channel, but yeah we don't have to pay extra for it either.

WE WIN
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#22 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 15 September 2016 - 04:22 PM

Announced yesterday: delayed from Jan 2017 to Sept 2017.

Not surprised considering how little hype to date.

#23 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 15 September 2016 - 05:03 PM

I think it's May 2017 not September...but still not surprising since they've not shot a frame yet (I should know as they are shooting it in my city).
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#24 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 15 September 2016 - 05:07 PM

Yep, May, not Sept.

I won't be surprised if that changes again tho. It looks like they are flailing with this.

#25 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 15 September 2016 - 05:17 PM

I agree. I think they just pushed to get the info out and Fuller is likely (and smartly) taking his time to do it right.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#26 User is offline   HiddenOne 

• Mortal Sword
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 15 September 2016 - 06:52 PM

I bet they are having trouble negotiating a contract with the Borg
HiddenOne. You son of a bitch. You slimy, skulking, low-posting scumbag. You knew it would come to this. Roundabout, maybe. Tortuous, certainly. But here we are, you and me again. I started the train on you so many many hours ago, and now I'm going to finish it. Die HO. Die. This is for last time, and this is for this game too. This is for all the people who died to your backstabbing, treacherous, "I sure don't know what's going on around here" filthy lying, deceitful ways. You son of a bitch. Whatever happens, this is justice. For me, this is justice. Vote HiddenOne Finally, I am at peace.

#27 User is offline   Werthead 

• Ascendant
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 15 September 2016 - 06:57 PM

CBS went a bit weird on this one. Although it's a digital series, they treated it like an ordinary mid-season replacement on their main channel: start filming in September, air in January. I gather that they've been told for months that that is completely unnecessary. The producers also want to film all, or almost all, of the season before it starts transmitting so they can get some more post-production time as well.

CBS finally realised they were being idiotic and agreed to delay it by four months and not rush their production staff into an early grave trying to get it all ready. You can tell CBS aren't used to thinking like this.

Fuller also hasn't completely finished his work on AMERICAN GODS, which I believe is now in post-production. I wouldn't be surprised if he wanted to 100% put the production to bed on Season 1 before decamping full-time to DISCOVERY (and they still need to work out what they're going to do about AG Season 2 as well).
Visit The Wertzone for reviews of SF&F books, DVDs and computer games!

"Try standing out in a winter storm all night and see how tough you are. Start with that. Then go into a bar and pick a fight and see how tough you are. And then go home and break crockery over your head. Start with those three and you'll be good to go."
- Bruce Campbell on how to be as cool as he is

#28 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 15 September 2016 - 07:45 PM

View PostHiddenOne, on 15 September 2016 - 06:52 PM, said:

I bet they are having trouble negotiating a contract with the Borg

Not surprised. Borg Union rates are budgetkillers.

#29 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 15 September 2016 - 07:51 PM

If you ask me, Fuller wet the bed on this one.

They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#30 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 15 September 2016 - 08:14 PM

Considering the 50th anniversary passed and the non-extent of Trek Discovery coverage, I'd say the whole institution wet the bed, then tried to hide it, pushed it out the window, got stuck, lit the bed on fire and ended up burning the house down around it what were we talking about?

#31 User is offline   Lady Bliss 

• Shameless Minister of Silly Catwalks of the Abyssmal Army
  • Group: The Abyssmal Army

Posted 15 September 2016 - 08:41 PM

In better news... They have confirmed romulans!!
"If you prick us do we not bleed? If you tickle us do we not laugh? If you poison us do we not die? And if you wrong us shall we not revenge?" - Shylock

#32 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 16 September 2016 - 02:29 AM

Cool.
...insert Klingons on Uranus joke here....

#33 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 14 February 2017 - 03:35 PM

Some updates.

1. Here you will see the Klingons from Discovery in a leaked photo from the set (in which the extra who posted it actually called them Klingons)...who look nothing like the Klingons we know (TOS or TNG/DS9/Voyager/Enterprise) and are more of a bastardization from the ST:ID Klingons...kind of...at any rate, they don't really look much like Klingons to me.

Spoiler

BUT someone pointed out that some concept art from a while back included something called the Sarcophagus Ship. I have learned that these may be ancient precursor Klingons to our modern day ones, who occupy this ship...and not related to modern day ones.

2. From someone I know (this is shooting in my city) the reason Fuller (and a bunch of his other production people) left the show was because after asking and getting the delay they needed to make the show right....CBS sped the timeline back up (they apparently REALLY want to hit their CBS All Access up soon)...this was the January 2017 or May 2017 confusion. Fuller and his people were unwilling to compromise the vision of the show to please suits at CBS who just want it to be up and going and as a result apparently LOTS of the behind the scenes production is being mega-rushed. Its also why after a cordial letter saying he just didn't want to split his time between AG (American Gods for Starz) and ST when he first left the production...Fuller apparently said that he's had to wash his hands of the whole thing and has nada to do with it now going forward. It's also got Akiva Goldsman in some sort of support show runner role now...which scares the bejeezus out of me. But form all I've heard, this thing is a MESS.

3. Canadians...I thought that this was getting the Netflix treatment like every other country BUT the US (who will get it on CBS ALL ACCESS)...it is not....that ever present fucking DEMON known as Bell Media has snapped up the rights...and as such it will run on CTV for the premiere...and Space for the rest of the time. I'm fine with that because I do get Space....but I don't trust Bell Media as far as I can goddamn THROW them considering what they did with HBO in this country...so I worry that as soon as it starts airing they might flip it to Crave or some shit....cause they are dicks. Did I mention they are dicks?

4. I'm still confused as to the decision to set this pre-TOS. It's seems like such a tiny window of time to tell your story...when they COULD have easily done a post-Voyager/DS9 show and had a completely blank canvas (and the possibility for multiple previous show cameos....Admiral Janeway, the crews of DS9 and Voyager too). Show us if they ever got the Slipstream Drive to work properly...or if they defeated the Borg...ect.

Anyways. Not the best news, and I'm HELLA worried about this...but we shall have to see once it comes out.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 14 February 2017 - 03:38 PM

#34 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 14 February 2017 - 04:05 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 14 February 2017 - 03:35 PM, said:

Some updates.

1. Here you will see the Klingons from Discovery in a leaked photo from the set (in which the extra who posted it actually called them Klingons)...who look nothing like the Klingons we know (TOS or TNG/DS9/Voyager/Enterprise) and are more of a bastardization from the ST:ID Klingons...kind of...at any rate, they don't really look much like Klingons to me.

Spoiler

BUT someone pointed out that some concept art from a while back included something called the Sarcophagus Ship. I have learned that these may be ancient precursor Klingons to our modern day ones, who occupy this ship...and not related to modern day ones.

I actually like the idea of Klingon Neanderthals... Klingonderthals!!!

More likely they'll blame it on a virus or something.

2. From someone I know (this is shooting in my city) the reason Fuller (and a bunch of his other production people) left ... form all I've heard, this thing is a MESS.

My sources echo this view.

Yes, i have 'sources'.

CBS' 'stewardship' of the Trek tv-verse just isn't going well and i'm not encouraged. Fuller could have made this gold and not bending over backwards to let him was a massive, massive mistake.

3. Canadians...I thought that this was getting the Netflix treatment like every other country BUT the US (who will get it on CBS ALL ACCESS)...it is not....that ever present fucking DEMON known as Bell Media has snapped up the rights...and as such it will run on CTV for the premiere...and Space for the rest of the time. I'm fine with that because I do get Space....but I don't trust Bell Media as far as I can goddamn THROW them considering what they did with HBO in this country...so I worry that as soon as it starts airing they might flip it to Crave or some shit....cause they are dicks. Did I mention they are dicks?

The CTV/Space thing has been on since day one, and yeah its weird but fairly typical in the usual course of the Netflix divide.
I was actually fairly happy about it because there was zero chance i would spring for CBS Access, assuming it becomes available in Canada, or turn cartwheels to get at Netflix US.
That said, yeah, they're totally going to flip it to Crave.

4. I'm still confused as to the decision to set this pre-TOS. It's seems like such a tiny window of time to tell your story...when they COULD have easily done a post-Voyager/DS9 show and had a completely blank canvas (and the possibility for multiple previous show cameos....Admiral Janeway, the crews of DS9 and Voyager too). Show us if they ever got the Slipstream Drive to work properly...or if they defeated the Borg...ect.

HUGE mistake. HUUUUGE.
They're trying to avoid confusing people by setting a tv series after the JJ films. What they fail to grasp is that other than the usual cast of Trekkies who track Kirk's undershirt colors, if it were a good show, no one would care.

Anyways. Not the best news, and I'm HELLA worried about this...but we shall have to see once it comes out.

ENTERPRISE 2.0. Calling it now.

Three seasons, with a major shuffle between 1 and 2, then done.

#35 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 14 February 2017 - 04:13 PM

I guess that means to get a post-VOY/DS9 show we need this Enterprise 2.0 show to fail first...which kinda sucks ass.

I mean this jives with one the major suits running CBS saying (out loud, where people could hear his dumb ass say it) that sci-fi doesn't "do well" on TV. Because he's a fucking moron without eyes to see all the successful shows that we've had in the last decade.

EDIT to point out: ENTERPRISE (a show they are basically emulating in a way) ran for 4 seasons...and rocky seasons at that....while TNG, DS9, and VOYAGER each ran for 7. Someone should have just put that goddamned math in front of the CBS suits.

Gods, I'm angry about this today. LOL!

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 14 February 2017 - 04:15 PM

#36 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 14 February 2017 - 06:52 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 14 February 2017 - 04:13 PM, said:

I guess that means to get a post-VOY/DS9 show we need this Enterprise 2.0 show to fail first...which kinda sucks ass.

I mean this jives with one the major suits running CBS saying (out loud, where people could hear his dumb ass say it) that sci-fi doesn't "do well" on TV. Because he's a fucking moron without eyes to see all the successful shows that we've had in the last decade.

Actually, this is accurate if you replace TV with 'CBS', a network that survives on NCIS spinoffs and formulaic sitcoms that appeal to a certain demographic.
At the moment the closest CBS gets to scifi is SCORPION, a hacker show stupidified for the NCIS demographic, and the fucking Macgyver reboot, nuff said.

Of course the point goes to poor network choices more than anything, but there it is. Fox has a better record with genre shows than CBS, ffs.

EDIT to point out: ENTERPRISE (a show they are basically emulating in a way) ran for 4 seasons...and rocky seasons at that....while TNG, DS9, and VOYAGER each ran for 7. Someone should have just put that goddamned math in front of the CBS suits.

I expect that someone did, and they nodded in deep understanding and then ignored it.

Expect more of the same.

Looks like CBS is flailing, confusing its financial priorities, program planning and a desperate attempt to create a streaming service for some strange reason.

#37 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 14 February 2017 - 07:00 PM

View PostAbyss, on 14 February 2017 - 06:52 PM, said:

Looks like CBS is flailing, confusing its financial priorities, program planning and a desperate attempt to create a streaming service for some strange reason.

Indeed, and yet If they'd just put the time and energy into having made a SOLID Star Trek show, aired it on regular tv, they could have a property to keep them relevant and solvent for a decade or more.

I don't understand their desire to make CBS All Access fly so hard...they aren't doing themselves any favours by pushing it on Americans by making a fan-fave franchise a carrot to dangle behind a paywall (made worse by airing the pilot traditionally on cable, and then pulling the rest back to the pay service...I mean that's fucking disgusting, drug pusher nonsense)...and that's made worse by making deals with Netflix internationally so everyone BUT the U.S. gets it with what they already have (provided they have Netflix)...hell, even the Bell Media deal in Canada means as long as you have cable still...you will probably get it.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 14 February 2017 - 07:00 PM

#38 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 14 February 2017 - 07:44 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 14 February 2017 - 07:00 PM, said:

View PostAbyss, on 14 February 2017 - 06:52 PM, said:

Indeed, and yet If they'd just put the time and energy into having made a SOLID Star Trek show, aired it on regular tv, they could have a property to keep them relevant and solvent for a decade or more.

I don't understand their desire to make CBS All Access fly so hard...they aren't doing themselves any favours by pushing it on Americans by making a fan-fave franchise a carrot to dangle behind a paywall (made worse by airing the pilot traditionally on cable, and then pulling the rest back to the pay service...I mean that's fucking disgusting, drug pusher nonsense)...and that's made worse by making deals with Netflix internationally so everyone BUT the U.S. gets it with what they already have (provided they have Netflix)...hell, even the Bell Media deal in Canada means as long as you have cable still...you will probably get it.

Maybe their actual goal is to unseat GAME OF THRONES as the most pirated show on tv.

....ok i was being flippant when i posted that but the more i think about it the more it explains...

#39 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 17 May 2017 - 10:45 PM

First look...and UUUUUGH.

Wooden acting is wooden acting. Jeezus that dialogue and delivery is Badsauce. And that's odd becausw Martin-Green, Yeoh, AND Doug Jones are excellent actors...so it's gotta be a clunky script.

The tech seems FAR too advacned to be 10 years pre-Kirk...like they didn't even ATTEMPT continuity for the timeline.

If this is the Prime universe....it sure as HELL looks like the Kelvin timeline instead...

I dunno man...the outfits look spiffy I guess? Otherwise Meh.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 17 May 2017 - 10:53 PM

#40 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 17 May 2017 - 11:03 PM

Yah, kind of a turkey of a trailer, but we'll see, we'll see. One thing though is that it was always a dumb idea to make it pre-Kirk. That's just so limiting for no reason, and frankly kinda chicken.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

Share this topic:

• 21 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users