• You cannot reply to this topic

What is going on here? Bravo for certain things but it seems like it's dying

#81 User is offline   Malaclypse 

• Banned User
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Banned Users

Posted 26 August 2016 - 03:28 AM

Cougar, on 24 August 2016 - 10:48 PM, said:

I'm here. Well, I'm in Helsinki, but I'm always here in spirit 'wankrags'.

Good to catch sight of you old friend. Congrats on all the things. Please do me the courtesy of sending me a copy of the book. Otherwise, you'll have to deliver it in person :)

#82 User is offline   Malaclypse 

• Banned User

Posted 26 August 2016 - 03:32 AM

Cougar, on 24 August 2016 - 11:02 PM, said:

If I remember correctly it was about Lord of T's interpretation of colonialism in early twentieth century Dublin and the other protagonist was Wry. Steve, flattered beyond rationality by the comparison to Joyce, decided not to read the thread in its entirety and attacked us for picking LoT on his slightly dodgy history. Crucially, he went tits out because he was flattered by the comparison, Believing that people's issue with LoT was that they didn't agree with his lofty assessment of Steve's writing. It was particularly unedifying to watch a writer you admire react to such flattery, but he's only human I guess. Knowing I'd call Steve out for his conceit and wanting to avoid the fall out, Mal rang me in bed - I had no idea at this point what had happened - and talked me down from a tragi-gash intervention.

All of this is true. It probably accounts for a goodly portion of my love for Cougs. I miss him terribly :)

#83 User is offline   Malaclypse 

• Banned User

Posted 26 August 2016 - 03:35 AM

Nicodimas, on 25 August 2016 - 05:23 AM, said:

Urquart, on 24 August 2016 - 05:41 AM, said:

Yeah it's Mal,

I look at this website and I don't see a lot of difference from when I passed it over to new management and I am disappointed. Is this place dying? Is it? Ask yourself - do you spend less time here than you used to? Are you less interested in this place than you were a year ago? I know I am but I'm a fucking troublemaker so my opinion doesn't really count. My life is good - the fact that some part of me cares about what happens in this place speaks to my essential madness. I love you crazy fucks but, BUT I also cannot fucking tolerate the dumbcunts among you. Anonymity is important to freedom of expression and that's just true. I feel like this is it - I host SE regularly, I'm even starting to feel like he's a mate of mine, like he trusts me - I don't trust him but I more or less worship him so it's easy and I love it. I love and respect this man beyond what conventional wisdom would tell you was appropriate. The fandom seems to have morphed into something that neither he nor I can understand. We'll see how it goes - will I be banned immediately? That's the smart choice but ... whatever happens, DO BETTER - doing the same thing for less money is laudable for sure but you ought to be innovating. DO BETTER.

Who's Mal?

Aha! The foe that has been chosen for me! What shall we fight about?

#84 User is offline   Malaclypse 

• Banned User

Posted 26 August 2016 - 03:38 AM

Obdigore, on 25 August 2016 - 04:58 PM, said:

Andorion, on 25 August 2016 - 04:44 PM, said:

Vengeance, on 25 August 2016 - 04:23 PM, said:

Nicodimas, on 25 August 2016 - 05:53 AM, said:

Defeat is how people that like the government think...ya know?

Says the man who drives on roads that the government built. Responding on a computer that is powered by electricity (Tax subsidies).

:)

Shots fired

I mean if the goal is to make the forum more active, this is a shot that Nico defends to the death and everyone else gets confused on how he can believe the stuff he spouts, so not a bad one.

If you want some more you could post 'Goodkind shows how dangerous society is for women by having rape scenes in each of his books.', or something like 'Why does Brandon Sanderson hate romance, I mean he has none in any of his books.', or you could even post a 'Is Jim Butcher having so much trouble writing Peace Talks because he can't write a non-terrible love scene?'

Die in a fire you fat cunt. Just joking, kinda :)

#85 User is offline   Malaclypse 

• Banned User

Posted 26 August 2016 - 03:52 AM

Gnaw, on 25 August 2016 - 07:02 PM, said:

Well, I'm not as active as I used to be but that's just because I'm in treatment. And that's because I was drunk/high for the previous year. Well really the previous 35 years but the last year was particularly amusing in a Gruntle sort of way.
The site has slowed down yes. But that's mostly due to the fact that a certain chum of yours has apparently stopped writing books.....
Maybe he needs to stop hanging around with you?

Interesting! You know, he busted his ass to produce 10 books in ten years, a feat that is unprecedented in the genre AFAIK. To be quite honest, he's getting older and maybe a bit tired. I don't know where you're at in life but once you reach a certain point, you realize that you have to start enjoying yourself, make decisions that are going to benefit you rather than your career. I reckon that Steve has done his major work and the appreciation of the Malazan Book of the Fallen will only grow with time as people pull their heads out of their asses. I treasure every moment I spend with him because he wrote about things that I wanted to write about, he's more courageous than me by a long fucking way and I want to protect and preserve him. To suggest that he's stopped writing books is silly but given your circumstances I'll forgive it, just this one time.

#86 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 26 August 2016 - 03:56 AM

Secret Startaker, on 25 August 2016 - 02:56 PM, said:

Abyss, on 25 August 2016 - 12:05 AM, said:

Mezla PigDog, on 24 August 2016 - 09:33 PM, said:

The forum defo needs more arguments, it's far too supportive these days. ...

I disagree. Also, you're wrong.

That isn't an argument

Good point...
Hey, Bliss.I disagree. Also, you're really fucking wrong.
...there, fixed.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#87 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 26 August 2016 - 03:59 AM

Urquart, on 26 August 2016 - 02:18 AM, said:

- Coltaine -, on 24 August 2016 - 11:31 AM, said:

Urquart, on 24 August 2016 - 05:41 AM, said:

Yeah it's Mal,

I look at this website and I don't see a lot of difference from when I passed it over to new management and I am disappointed. Is this place dying? Is it? Ask yourself - do you spend less time here than you used to? Are you less interested in this place than you were a year ago? I know I am but I'm a fucking troublemaker so my opinion doesn't really count. My life is good - the fact that some part of me cares about what happens in this place speaks to my essential madness. I love you crazy fucks but, BUT I also cannot fucking tolerate the dumbcunts among you. Anonymity is important to freedom of expression and that's just true. I feel like this is it - I host SE regularly, I'm even starting to feel like he's a mate of mine, like he trusts me - I don't trust him but I more or less worship him so it's easy and I love it. I love and respect this man beyond what conventional wisdom would tell you was appropriate. The fandom seems to have morphed into something that neither he nor I can understand. We'll see how it goes - will I be banned immediately? That's the smart choice but ... whatever happens, DO BETTER - doing the same thing for less money is laudable for sure but you ought to be innovating. DO BETTER.

Okay, as a newbie I can't compare between your good old days and now: What do you think is wrong with the current forum in comparision to your good old golden times?

And more important: Why can't Steve understand us? Too much whining what is messing with our grooves? Too much mafia? Too many TV discussions?:)

I brought mafia from westeros to here and it wasn't easy by any stretch of the imagination. Mafia is one of those things where you can't take ownership of it - it's a thing unto itself so I won't criticize , I will simply say that I don't like the way that you play it. When I first landed at this website, I was fresh off midnight tides and I was like 'this fucker is taking aim at America and therefore must have balls of industrial steel and I found a community of serious, curious people who wanted answers to their questions. What was behind Icarium's plan for the Teblor? What is the deal with the giant at the bottom of the well? and so on. The community I met then was interested in such things. I have to be honest - as predicted, when the books were picked up by an American publisher, the community went rapidly downhill. Let's have a poll shall we?

I got your poll right here.
It was just waxed, buffed, and lightly salted.

#88 User is offline   Malaclypse 

• Banned User

Posted 26 August 2016 - 03:59 AM

Briar King, on 26 August 2016 - 02:25 AM, said:

Yep I have been waiting on the Murica(fuck yeah) hate. Even with Lang such as cunthammers I was 60/40 on it actually being Mal. Doubt gone

You've been waiting on it yeah? So this is you pouncing now having been triggered? Is that right? I don't understand people like you at all, I really don't. What, for example is the point of this post? So you're actively taking offence at some 'Murica hate and you abbreviate language with weirdly capitalized 'Lang' and then proclaim 'doubt gone'. So what? the only possible point of a post like this is to garner sympathy. Good luck with that.

#89 User is offline   Malaclypse 

• Banned User

Posted 26 August 2016 - 05:29 AM

Fill yer boots ingrate :)

#90 User is offline   Puck 

• Mausetöter
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 26 August 2016 - 07:55 AM

Urquart, on 26 August 2016 - 02:51 AM, said:

Puck, on 24 August 2016 - 12:34 PM, said:

Most of the lack of the old forum members is, let's face it, on the people who have gotten themselves a life and moved on. Also, the later books, especially the Kharkanas ones, are not everyone's thing. I don't get it either. You missed all the drama around FoL.

That said, good to see you're well and ready to get into an internet fight, Mal.

You owe me art.

Yes, I do. And if you'd bother to keep up communication instead of only showing up whenever you want to kick up trouble, you'd have a nice and tidy little box of it by now.
Puck was not birthed, she was cleaved from a lava flow and shaped by a fierce god's hands. - [worry]
Ninja Puck, Ninja Puck, really doesn't give a fuck..? - [King Lear]

#91 User is offline   Primateus 

• E Pluribus Anus
  • Interests:Stuff, lots of stuff!

Posted 26 August 2016 - 09:54 AM

Urquart, on 26 August 2016 - 02:04 AM, said:

Primateus, on 24 August 2016 - 11:09 AM, said:

I have to agree with the Captain a bit. This reminds of back when I was involved with running a computer club for kids, both of age and of heart and some of the old guys who used to run it came back to see what was going on. Aside from a few of them, they'd pretty much all do nothing but complain.

I wasn't here long enough to really get to know you Mal, but I think I'm going to stick with the old "put up or shut up" adage.

It's not to be mean or dismissive. But setting up a place and then handing it over to someone else and leave only to come back and complain that it's not as awesome as in the good old days, well, it's just not very helpful.

If people want to come back and have fun, talk about shit and tear up asses and relive the good old days, then by all means, have at it. But if they only come back to complain, ie. troll, then really, kindly go away. Posted Image

good response and fair enough to you, but I still think you're a bunch of insufferable cunthammers generally.

Screw you all, and have a nice day!

#92 User is offline   Gust Hubb 

• Necromancer Extraordinaire
  • View gallery
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Glass slides with entrapped bits of colored tissue
  • Around, just quiet....er

Posted 26 August 2016 - 12:20 PM

Abyss, on 26 August 2016 - 02:15 AM, said:

Love you too sweetcheeks.

Did you mean clever girl?
"You don't clean u other peoples messes.... You roll in them like a dog on leftover smoked whitefish torn out f the trash by raccoons after Sunday brunch on a hot day."
~Abyss

#93 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 26 August 2016 - 08:51 PM

Have I gone soft?
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#94 User is offline   Vengeance 

• High Priest of Shinrei Love and Worship
  • very good...;)

Posted 26 August 2016 - 09:22 PM

worry, on 26 August 2016 - 08:51 PM, said:

Have I gone soft?

Yes but it usually happens with old age. Either soft or insane. Mal choose wrong.
How many fucking people do I have to hammer in order to get that across.
Hinter - Vengy - DIE. I trusted you you bastard!!!!!!!

Steven Erikson made drowning in alien cum possible - Obdigore

#95 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 27 August 2016 - 01:21 AM

Gust Hubb, on 26 August 2016 - 12:20 PM, said:

Abyss, on 26 August 2016 - 02:15 AM, said:

Love you too sweetcheeks.

Did you mean clever girl?

Nah. The raptor was more agreeable than Mal.

#96 User is offline   Lady Bliss 

• Shameless Minister of Silly Catwalks of the Abyssmal Army
  • Group: The Abyssmal Army

Posted 27 August 2016 - 01:56 AM

Abyss, on 26 August 2016 - 03:56 AM, said:

That isn't an argument

Good point...
...there, fixed.

It's 1 pound for a 5 minute argument, but only 8 pounds for a course of 10.
"If you prick us do we not bleed? If you tickle us do we not laugh? If you poison us do we not die? And if you wrong us shall we not revenge?" - Shylock

#97 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 27 August 2016 - 03:39 AM

Lady Bliss, on 27 August 2016 - 01:56 AM, said:

That isn't an argument

Good point...
...there, fixed.

How much for abuse?

#98 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 27 August 2016 - 03:51 AM

Abyss, on 27 August 2016 - 03:39 AM, said:

Lady Bliss, on 27 August 2016 - 01:56 AM, said:

That isn't an argument

Good point...
...there, fixed.

How much for abuse?

For that I believe you "have to put a ring on it". :)
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#99 User is offline   Malaclypse 

• Banned User

Posted 27 August 2016 - 04:15 AM

Puck, on 26 August 2016 - 07:55 AM, said:

Urquart, on 26 August 2016 - 02:51 AM, said:

Puck, on 24 August 2016 - 12:34 PM, said:

Most of the lack of the old forum members is, let's face it, on the people who have gotten themselves a life and moved on. Also, the later books, especially the Kharkanas ones, are not everyone's thing. I don't get it either. You missed all the drama around FoL.

That said, good to see you're well and ready to get into an internet fight, Mal.

You owe me art.

Yes, I do. And if you'd bother to keep up communication instead of only showing up whenever you want to kick up trouble, you'd have a nice and tidy little box of it by now.

I'm terrible at communication at the best of times and it's been a stressful fucking year and a bit - we're establishing a new business, been fabulously successful in the sense that we have lots of customers but are we charging them enough? Are we spending too much on our breakfasts? I react badly to certain people as you might imagine so that's a constant concern, we're renting a studio at the back of the property, we do a lot of cleaning and smiling and lack enough time to do the garden justice. We're considering the idea employing our tenant artist for casual ironing work - the list goes on - I could go on for some time about all the things I think about on a daily basis and I love it, I really do but I get pretty wired (read: hypomanic, look it up if you're interested) and it's great - I have tons of energy, can be charming and quick-witted, the perfect host but it's fuelled by intense anxiety. Anyway, we should speak in private and I apologize for calling you out in public. *hugs*

#100 User is offline   Malaclypse 

• Banned User

Posted 27 August 2016 - 04:28 AM

It's poetic how you've derailed my vanity thread via typical spammer posts. I'm tickled, a bit. I just feel that approach must come from an empty philosophy. Let's deny the meaning of things that other people care about, let's embrace meaninglessness - I dunno, that's the way it comes off to me and I fucking hate it. I miss the forum experience but I can't tolerate the people. In any case, I come here to vent and get into fights. I don't necessarily believe everything I post - I just really want to get into a fight. I don't really know why, but there it is. You sad lot don't necessarily deserve that and so I sincerely apologize.

Share this topic:

• 16 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users