• You cannot reply to this topic

What is going on here? Bravo for certain things but it seems like it's dying

#41 User is offline   Lady Bliss 

• Shameless Minister of Silly Catwalks of the Abyssmal Army
  • Group: The Abyssmal Army

Posted 24 August 2016 - 10:52 PM

View PostMacros, on 24 August 2016 - 10:45 PM, said:

possibly.
I think it was in the general book forum.

someone had compared TtH to a James Joyce piece, but had done the comparison really badly and was being an argogant prick about the whole thing when people disagreed with him, so cougar? and a few of us were ripping him for his approach, not the comparison. Then i tihnk Steve had read it or seen it or soemthing and then we were made out to be the arseholes for ripping on this guy for comparing TtH to James joyce, which we weren't doing, we were ripping on him for being an arsehole.

it was all very distressing for me personally.

Was this it?

http://forum.malazan...page__hl__joyce
"If you prick us do we not bleed? If you tickle us do we not laugh? If you poison us do we not die? And if you wrong us shall we not revenge?" - Shylock

#42 User is offline   LinearPhilosopher 

• House Knight
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Everything.

Posted 24 August 2016 - 10:53 PM

since i was mostly in the dicussion thread and anime thread round dat time never really followed

That being said this forum is awesome enough to warrant my continue participation so im happy. Every other forum ive dropped this one ive kept.

#43 User is online   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 24 August 2016 - 10:56 PM

Wow 2009 was apparently the year that "pants" was a damning insult. Glad I wasn't around for that volcanic eruption of vitriolic hatespeech.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#44 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 24 August 2016 - 10:58 PM

hah.
i had searched myself for it, then saw worry also reading.

That looks familiar but there was a definiet blow up somewhere between loT, me and someone else. maybe it got modgodded. maybe there was another thread I;m too tired to search it up now

#45 User is offline   Cougar 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • View gallery
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 24 August 2016 - 11:02 PM

If I remember correctly it was about Lord of T's interpretation of colonialism in early twentieth century Dublin and the other protagonist was Wry. Steve, flattered beyond rationality by the comparison to Joyce, decided not to read the thread in its entirety and attacked us for picking LoT on his slightly dodgy history. Crucially, he went tits out because he was flattered by the comparison, Believing that people's issue with LoT was that they didn't agree with his lofty assessment of Steve's writing. It was particularly unedifying to watch a writer you admire react to such flattery, but he's only human I guess. Knowing I'd call Steve out for his conceit and wanting to avoid the fall out, Mal rang me in bed - I had no idea at this point what had happened - and talked me down from a tragi-gash intervention.
I AM A TWAT

#46 User is offline   Cougar 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • View gallery

Posted 24 August 2016 - 11:03 PM

Lady Bliss said:

1472079147[/url]' post='1249472']

Macros said:

1472078742[/url]' post='1249468']
possibly.
I think it was in the general book forum.

someone had compared TtH to a James Joyce piece, but had done the comparison really badly and was being an argogant prick about the whole thing when people disagreed with him, so cougar? and a few of us were ripping him for his approach, not the comparison. Then i tihnk Steve had read it or seen it or soemthing and then we were made out to be the arseholes for ripping on this guy for comparing TtH to James joyce, which we weren't doing, we were ripping on him for being an arsehole.

it was all very distressing for me personally.

Was this it?

http://forum.malazan...page__hl__joyce

No, that isn't it
I AM A TWAT

#47 User is offline   Cougar 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • View gallery

Posted 24 August 2016 - 11:12 PM

The thread is called Darujistan in Dublin but it's locked and picked to bits by mod intervention. Moreover, Steve's intervention was in a separate thread and delivered by proxy.
I AM A TWAT

#48 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 25 August 2016 - 12:05 AM

View PostMezla PigDog, on 24 August 2016 - 09:33 PM, said:

The forum defo needs more arguments, it's far too supportive these days. ...

I disagree. Also, you're wrong.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#49 User is offline   Andorion 

• God
  • Interests:All things Malazan, sundry sci-fi and fantasy, history, Iron Maiden

Posted 25 August 2016 - 02:39 AM

The forum defo needs more arguments, it's far too supportive these days. And the doll fetish guy was called Erisai or something wasn't he? He made Nico look like a sweet little old lady.

Well what did you expect? We were left alone with Abyss!

We are all his puppets now.

Worship the feline Cthulhu God!

Posted Image

#50 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Martyr of High House Mafia
  • Interests:Soccer, Chess, swimming, books, misc
  • Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 25 August 2016 - 03:45 AM

Huh, I also missed that whole fiasco... probably a good thing.

The doll/really young-looking Asian girls guy was Erisei, he posted in the Hawt Girls waaaay before my time.... But I remember reading that clusterfuck weh nI was getting myself up to speed on what the Inn was all about.

Honestly, though, the Badkind lovers like The Shining Enigma were funnier.
The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard
THE CONTESTtm WINNER--чемпіон самоконтролю

View PostJump Around, on 23 October 2011 - 11:04 AM, said:

And I want to state that Ment has out-weaseled me by far in this game.

#51 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 25 August 2016 - 04:48 AM

View PostAndorion, on 25 August 2016 - 02:39 AM, said:

The forum defo needs more arguments, it's far too supportive these days. And the doll fetish guy was called Erisai or something wasn't he? He made Nico look like a sweet little old lady.

Well what did you expect? We were left alone with Abyss!

We are all his puppets now.

Worship the feline Cthulhu God!

I admit to nothing.
...now someone get me a cruller. And whiskey. All the whiskey.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#52 User is offline   Nicodimas 

• Soletaken
  • https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XbGs_qK2PQA

Posted 25 August 2016 - 05:23 AM

View PostUrquart, on 24 August 2016 - 05:41 AM, said:

Yeah it's Mal,

I look at this website and I don't see a lot of difference from when I passed it over to new management and I am disappointed. Is this place dying? Is it? Ask yourself - do you spend less time here than you used to? Are you less interested in this place than you were a year ago? I know I am but I'm a fucking troublemaker so my opinion doesn't really count. My life is good - the fact that some part of me cares about what happens in this place speaks to my essential madness. I love you crazy fucks but, BUT I also cannot fucking tolerate the dumbcunts among you. Anonymity is important to freedom of expression and that's just true. I feel like this is it - I host SE regularly, I'm even starting to feel like he's a mate of mine, like he trusts me - I don't trust him but I more or less worship him so it's easy and I love it. I love and respect this man beyond what conventional wisdom would tell you was appropriate. The fandom seems to have morphed into something that neither he nor I can understand. We'll see how it goes - will I be banned immediately? That's the smart choice but ... whatever happens, DO BETTER - doing the same thing for less money is laudable for sure but you ought to be innovating. DO BETTER.

Who's Mal?
-If it's ka it'll come like a wind, and your plans will stand before it no more than a barn before a cyclone

#53 User is offline   Nicodimas 

• Soletaken

Posted 25 August 2016 - 05:33 AM

View PostMacros, on 24 August 2016 - 06:20 PM, said:

I think the forum would benefit if I went back to my old drinking habits.

I encourage this...make this a thing. My favorite thing on these forums... Is get really trashed and respond to obi...does he still post here? He loves me.
-If it's ka it'll come like a wind, and your plans will stand before it no more than a barn before a cyclone

#54 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 25 August 2016 - 05:47 AM

Yes cougar hit the nail on the head.

#55 User is offline   Nicodimas 

• Soletaken

Posted 25 August 2016 - 05:53 AM

View PostTheRetiredBridgeburner, on 24 August 2016 - 12:28 PM, said:

I'm relatively new, but very guilty of hanging around purely in Off Topic with occasional ventures northward. I think there's something to be said for the fact the people who've been around since the early days can answer threads much more quickly and succinctly than me, and as someone said up thread a lot of what you would class as the major debate topics have probably been thoroughly covered.

Advice: Just really explore your opinionated side, run with it! The most important thing..is never admit defeat.

Defeat is how people that like the government think...ya know?

#56 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus

Posted 25 August 2016 - 06:10 AM

Yeah, I still have many friends from this forum. People I stay in contact with despite many of them living on the other side of the globe. Mal is one of my oldest friends (and though I am very happy that he's found his new life in Canada, I miss having him a short plane ride away), Vengeance kept me sane through my year in Chicago and Mat taught me that even those with serious speech impediments can function in society.

As for decline. Eh. Sure, there's not quite as much activity as there was during the old days, when Tiste Simeone would be the last poster in every thread on the forum. However, I still think there's plenty of life here, and the place is no less warm or welcoming. In some ways it's more welcoming than it was :)
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#57 User is offline   Nicodimas 

• Soletaken

Posted 25 August 2016 - 06:13 AM

View PostMorgoth, on 25 August 2016 - 06:10 AM, said:

Yeah, I still have many friends from this forum. People I stay in contact with despite many of them living on the other side of the globe. Mal is one of my oldest friends (and though I am very happy that he's found his new life in Canada, I miss having him a short plane ride away), Vengeance kept me sane through my year in Chicago and Mat taught me that even those with serious speech impediments can function in society.

As for decline. Eh. Sure, there's not quite as much activity as there was during the old days, when Tiste Simeone would be the last poster in every thread on the forum. However, I still think there's plenty of life here, and the place is no less warm or welcoming. In some ways it's more welcoming than it was :)

Morgoth kept me sane, during a rough patch. Thanks Morgoth!

(She was pure evil..btw and I was totally well dumb..you learn so much...later when the blinder's are off. I appreciate the advice to this day. )

#58 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus

Posted 25 August 2016 - 06:18 AM

View PostNicodimas, on 25 August 2016 - 06:13 AM, said:

View PostMorgoth, on 25 August 2016 - 06:10 AM, said:

Morgoth kept me sane, during a rough patch. Thanks Morgoth!

(She was pure evil..btw and I was totally well dumb..you learn so much...later when the blinder's are off. I appreciate the advice to this day. )

I've gotten a little more empathy in my old age it would seem. I'm glad it helped
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#59 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 25 August 2016 - 08:43 AM

Speech impediment?

Really you american accented swedish meatball cooking fuck?

BORK BORK BORK

This post has been edited by Macros: 25 August 2016 - 08:44 AM

#60 User is offline   Solidsnape 

• Emperor
  • Interests:Playing Guitar/Ukulele/Banjolele, reading, music, Wing Chun Kuen, my 2 boys and my wonderful GF.
  • From good 'ol Newcastle upon Tyne.

Posted 25 August 2016 - 10:17 AM

View PostNicodimas, on 25 August 2016 - 05:23 AM, said:

View PostUrquart, on 24 August 2016 - 05:41 AM, said:

Yeah it's Mal,

I look at this website and I don't see a lot of difference from when I passed it over to new management and I am disappointed. Is this place dying? Is it? Ask yourself - do you spend less time here than you used to? Are you less interested in this place than you were a year ago? I know I am but I'm a fucking troublemaker so my opinion doesn't really count. My life is good - the fact that some part of me cares about what happens in this place speaks to my essential madness. I love you crazy fucks but, BUT I also cannot fucking tolerate the dumbcunts among you. Anonymity is important to freedom of expression and that's just true. I feel like this is it - I host SE regularly, I'm even starting to feel like he's a mate of mine, like he trusts me - I don't trust him but I more or less worship him so it's easy and I love it. I love and respect this man beyond what conventional wisdom would tell you was appropriate. The fandom seems to have morphed into something that neither he nor I can understand. We'll see how it goes - will I be banned immediately? That's the smart choice but ... whatever happens, DO BETTER - doing the same thing for less money is laudable for sure but you ought to be innovating. DO BETTER.

Who's Mal?

😂😂😂😂
"If you seek the crumpled bones of the T'lan Imass,
gather into one hand the sands of Raraku"
The Holy Desert
- Anonymous.

Share this topic:

• 16 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic