What is going on here? Bravo for certain things but it seems like it's dying

#301 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 25 November 2016 - 03:56 AM

View Postdeath rattle, on 25 November 2016 - 03:46 AM, said:

Not if you're a member of Fight Pub.

Hey hey hey... the First Rule of Fight Pub is you do not talk about fight pub.

....the second rule is that it's totally fine to talk about fight pub once you have bought everyone beer.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#302 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 25 November 2016 - 04:30 AM

View PostLoki, on 25 November 2016 - 03:32 AM, said:

Pretty sure anyone who goes looking for a fight at a pub is a coward regardless of the weapon they take with them (fists included).

No. Getting into bar fights on purpose is a fucked up thing to do, but it's not cowardice. If anything, it's the need to prove something in an entirely unsafe and illogical way. That comes from insecurity, not cowardice.

My bouncer friends hate these guys (they're almost all guys) because escalation from fist fights can happen and that's bad for them as bouncers and very bad for business.

This post has been edited by amphibian: 25 November 2016 - 04:42 AM

I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#303 User is offline   Loki 

• Knight Commander of Team Quick Ben
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • WWQBDFTW?

Posted 25 November 2016 - 05:28 AM

View Postamphibian, on 25 November 2016 - 04:30 AM, said:

View PostLoki, on 25 November 2016 - 03:32 AM, said:

Pretty sure anyone who goes looking for a fight at a pub is a coward regardless of the weapon they take with them (fists included).

No. Getting into bar fights on purpose is a fucked up thing to do, but it's not cowardice. If anything, it's the need to prove something in an entirely unsafe and illogical way. That comes from insecurity, not cowardice.

My bouncer friends hate these guys (they're almost all guys) because escalation from fist fights can happen and that's bad for them as bouncers and very bad for business.

I disagree. If you go to a pub for a fight it's because you either need liquid courage or you plan to pick a fight with someone who has most likely been drinking and therefore not at the top of their game. Fighting someone who is handicapped makes you a coward.

I agree with the insecurity part though.

Wry, on 29 February 2012 - 10:50 AM, said:

And you're not complaining, you're criticizing. It's a side-effect of being better than everyone else, I get it sometimes too.

~TQB~

#304 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 25 November 2016 - 07:06 AM

Anyone who goes looking for a fight is an idiot.

I think he goes looking for an argument, and is happy to accept a fight if it happens.

#305 User is offline   Itwæs Nom 

• Inquisitor of High House Mafia

Posted 25 November 2016 - 07:42 AM

View PostMacros, on 25 November 2016 - 07:06 AM, said:

I think he goes looking for an argument, and is happy to accept a fight if it happens.

That's how I took it

And I assume he carries the knife just in case the fight went awry, and even then rather to intimidate than actually use it
All things fall from kings to rose petals

#306 User is offline   EmperorMagus 

• Scarecrow of Low House PEN
  • Group: Tehol's Blissful Chickens

Posted 25 November 2016 - 08:17 AM

The second option isn't much better than the first one ...

Personally, I feel like Mal/Urq needs some assistance. A healthy person does not keep acting like this constantly for such a long period of time. I just hope he doesn't get stabbed or something because of some stupid argument.

< As a person who has done their fair share of egging Mal on in the chat.
Dulce et decorum est
Pro patria mori
#sarcasm

#307 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 25 November 2016 - 08:36 AM

View PostItwæs Nom, on 25 November 2016 - 07:42 AM, said:

That's how I took it

And I assume he carries the knife just in case the fight went awry, and even then rather to intimidate than actually use it

From the locked thread:

Sometimes I go out to the local bar and antagonize the locals just to see what happens - I have a knife at my hip and I'm pretty confident that I can handle myself whatever comes, I need the strife, there are so many stupid people which is why we find ourselves in our cuirrent crisis as a species but you know what? They tend to back down when you stad firm. They don't know that I have a firm grip on a sharp knife. This is actually my favourite thing to do. Hetan, bless her, keeps me from this reckless behaviour but the lessons have been learned, Most people are not willing to commit.

It's the part about having a firm grip on a knife that freaks me out. Maybe Mal is just full of shit but this is not the description of a guy who's just bringing a knife for safety.

#308 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus

Posted 25 November 2016 - 10:12 AM

I know Mal very well I think, we've known each other for more than a decade, and I used to visit him and Hetan a few times a year in Cambridge. During my divorce he spent hours on the phone with me arguing about everything and nothing and adding jabs at my ex, which was very welcome. I was sad to see him move so far away, but I also think it was the best choice for them both.

I've never known him to be anything but a sweet, caring and loyal friend. Though he's also in many ways a difficult person and I understand why many struggle to get along with the man.

These last few years though, Mal seems to only seek out this forum when he is in a very dark place. It is not the way he used to interact here when he was an active member. Obviously that doesn't excuse his behaviour, whatever it was, but I hope you all wont judge him too harshly. He is a sweet man and a good friend and I hope he'll be alright.
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#309 User is offline   Andorion 

• God
  • Interests:All things Malazan, sundry sci-fi and fantasy, history, Iron Maiden

Posted 25 November 2016 - 11:57 AM

View PostMorgoth, on 25 November 2016 - 10:12 AM, said:

I know Mal very well I think, we've known each other for more than a decade, and I used to visit him and Hetan a few times a year in Cambridge. During my divorce he spent hours on the phone with me arguing about everything and nothing and adding jabs at my ex, which was very welcome. I was sad to see him move so far away, but I also think it was the best choice for them both.

I've never known him to be anything but a sweet, caring and loyal friend. Though he's also in many ways a difficult person and I understand why many struggle to get along with the man.

These last few years though, Mal seems to only seek out this forum when he is in a very dark place. It is not the way he used to interact here when he was an active member. Obviously that doesn't excuse his behaviour, whatever it was, but I hope you all wont judge him too harshly. He is a sweet man and a good friend and I hope he'll be alright.

Since you know him so well, do you think the knife and bar thing is something you could mention to his wife? While mental issues can be treated, this particular thing could get him seriously hurt. Frankly I don't care if he is on here bitching away in a thread if it makes him feel better, I am however extremely alarmed at the thought of a troubled person visiting a bar looking for a fight and carrying a knife

#310 User is offline   Loki 

• Knight Commander of Team Quick Ben
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • WWQBDFTW?

Posted 25 November 2016 - 12:25 PM

So long as his bitching doesn't involve personally attacking other members then I say bitch away - in a single thread.

Wry, on 29 February 2012 - 10:50 AM, said:

And you're not complaining, you're criticizing. It's a side-effect of being better than everyone else, I get it sometimes too.

~TQB~

#311 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 25 November 2016 - 09:02 PM

View PostLoki, on 25 November 2016 - 05:28 AM, said:

I disagree. If you go to a pub for a fight it's because you either need liquid courage or you plan to pick a fight with someone who has most likely been drinking and therefore not at the top of their game. Fighting someone who is handicapped makes you a coward.

I agree with the insecurity part though.

The bar part is because there's a lowering of inhibitions, which makes fights more often to happen plus the presence of bouncers, who step in if it gets bad for one party. If committing violence against less than ideally equipped people was the goal, they'd just go to a playground and beat up children one sided. The fight versus another adult is what they want and at bars, violence is a more common thing.

I do remember the Malaclypse of before and that's why I'm open to his return when he gets a better handle on things. He was indeed capable of good discussion of points, ready to pick up the slack for someone, and his less strong than he says connection to Erikson led to some cool nuggets and thoughts. But that's not what he's doing now.

This post has been edited by amphibian: 25 November 2016 - 09:03 PM

I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#312 User is offline   Raymond Luxury Yacht 

• Throatwobbler Mangrove
  • Group: Grumpy Old Sods
  • Interests:Quiet desperation and self-loathing

Posted 26 November 2016 - 05:29 PM

Yeah anyone who could get word to his wife probably should.
Error: Signature not valid

#313 User is offline   Hetan 

• Chief Cook and Bottle Washer
  • View gallery
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 19 December 2016 - 06:10 PM

Hi all. I'd just like to say thank you to all for your concern for Mal.
In the course of our normal life here Mal doesn't go to bars - with or without a knife - in fact he doesn't normally go out without me at all - just so you all know he's not rampaging around here with a weapon in his pocket on a nightly basis!
The medication he takes means that he should not drink alcohol at all - but sometimes he goes off the rails and this is how it ends up.
It's a work in progress because he does like a beer, but we are working on it :p
Thanks for being so understanding - he really is a sweetheart - just a bit broken in some places.
"He was not a modest man. Contemplating suicide, he summoned a dragon". (Gothos' Folly)- Gothos

#314 User is offline   bubba 

• High Marshall
  • View gallery
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:5.3%
  • Kill all the golfers...

Posted 19 December 2016 - 06:43 PM

Thanks for the update, we do worry and love you both.

#315 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 19 December 2016 - 06:49 PM

Thanks Hetan. My love to you both.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#316 User is offline   Fid 

• Old Git of High House Muttley

Posted 29 December 2016 - 03:49 PM

Thanks Hetan - appreciate you and Mal so much. I guess we have come through masses and while there will always be some new shit, we continue to stick together. Hope you have a peaceful New Year and that 2017 is just peachy

This post has been edited by Fid: 29 December 2016 - 03:50 PM

#317 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 30 April 2017 - 01:40 PM

Catching up and reading these threads of Mal's has been very depressing so it's good to know the two of you are still doing alright.
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

Share this topic:

• 16 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

15 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 15 guests, 0 anonymous users