Malazan Empire: The UK Politics Thread - Malazan Empire

• 87 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The UK Politics Thread (Formerly the Brexit thread)

#1101 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 04 October 2019 - 08:07 AM

View PostMaark Abbott, on 04 October 2019 - 07:21 AM, said:

View PostGorefest, on 03 October 2019 - 04:33 PM, said:

Interestung she would use the Charge of the light brigade. A group of light cavalry who were ordered by their leaders to perform a totally stupid and miscommunicated manouvre which would most likely kill them all and end in slaughter. So is Ann Widdecombe finally admitting that Brexit is a criminal and idiotic fool's quest?

You take my living standards and I'll take yours too
Your name is funny so I'll deport you
And Brexit is for rich and white, not black
So patrol the cliffs and send them back

I see what you did there - I like it!
- Wyrd bið ful aræd -

#1102 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 17 October 2019 - 11:56 AM

De Pfeffel 'agrees' deal with EU. Predictably the Breklets go nuts, like rabid football hooligans. Which I assume 95% are.

However my assessment based on every other party including the DUP saying 'wow this is shit pal' is that the EU are basically saying 'here's something, now fuck off'.

At best it's De Pfeffel trying to steer away from begging for an extension and so that he can blame everything going tits up on everyone else.

Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#1103 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 19 October 2019 - 03:36 PM

So today is important, yeah?

A vote to try and turn this exercise in futility Trick or Treat stroll into a pillow case of full size Kit Kat candy bars OR (more probably) a flaming bag of dog shite on the step. At which point the vote extends this madness into the hopes that a Yule Log can be shat out before we see the start of the next decade?

#1104 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 19 October 2019 - 07:09 PM

Glad to see enough folks didn't give in today and accept an awful deal out of sheer fatigue.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#1105 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 19 October 2019 - 08:46 PM

Yeah. If this deal had been presented at the referendum they'd never have won. Being tired of the Tory nonsense is not a good enough reason to accept his rubbish.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#1106 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

• Malazan Yo Yo Champion 2009
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 20 October 2019 - 06:54 AM

The deal could still go through though, right? They haven't voted it down, they voted to delay voting on it until no deal was off the table via an agreed extension. There is concern the hard liners could vote for the deal but then against it when it came back for second reading just before 31 October. The chap who tabled the vote for the delay says he probably will vote for it when it comes to it. I think there are enough Labour MPs in Leave areas that will vote for it, it could succeed.

I have barely been following it. Brexit fatigue is a real thing.
Burn rubber =/= warp speed

#1107 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl

Posted 21 October 2019 - 07:18 AM

View PostMezla PigDog, on 20 October 2019 - 06:54 AM, said:

The deal could still go through though, right? They haven't voted it down, they voted to delay voting on it until no deal was off the table via an agreed extension. There is concern the hard liners could vote for the deal but then against it when it came back for second reading just before 31 October. The chap who tabled the vote for the delay says he probably will vote for it when it comes to it. I think there are enough Labour MPs in Leave areas that will vote for it, it could succeed.

Your fatigue (and that of the nation overall) is what de Pfeffel is counting on.

#1108 User is offline   Grief 

• Prophet of High House Mafia
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 21 October 2019 - 09:43 PM

View PostMezla PigDog, on 20 October 2019 - 06:54 AM, said:

He could absolutely get a deal. Mostly I think he's counting on two basic facts:

1. The realistaion in Westminster that a second referendum is increasingly plausible in light of the opposition rejecting Johnson's attempts to push for an election. Interesting how after weeks of European leaders suggesting that Johnson wasn't making serious proposals the UK government is suddenly making concessions to try and get a deal to happen.

2. The fact that Johnson is a far better populist than May. Johnson could be celebrated for securing a deal that would've been dead before May proposed it - and this also means he can more plausibly promise electoral success. He's also taken advantage of the awkward position the opposition has put itself in. A referendum is the main threat to his position but the opposition took a long time to come around to that.

Numbers wise... predictions are close but it does seem like it could get through.

Cougar said:

Grief, FFS will you do something with your sig, it's bloody awful

worry said:

Grief is right (until we abolish capitalism).

#1109 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 21 October 2019 - 11:55 PM

John Bercow, all round hero and one of the few voices of reason and sanity in the last few years, not allowing a second vote due to it just being the same old thing again, and using the very words of thanks JRM sent to him when he did this very thing for Theresa May's deal earlier in the year is a beautiful thing.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#1110 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl

Posted 22 October 2019 - 07:20 AM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 21 October 2019 - 11:55 PM, said:

John Bercow, all round hero and one of the few voices of reason and sanity in the last few years, not allowing a second vote due to it just being the same old thing again, and using the very words of thanks JRM sent to him when he did this very thing for Theresa May's deal earlier in the year is a beautiful thing.

What timeline is this, where a Conservative is the sole voice of reason in the Commons.

#1111 User is online   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 22 October 2019 - 08:24 AM

View PostMaark Abbott, on 22 October 2019 - 07:20 AM, said:

What timeline is this, where a Conservative is the sole voice of reason in the Commons.

It's not important.
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#1112 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl

Posted 22 October 2019 - 12:38 PM

View PostTsundoku, on 22 October 2019 - 08:24 AM, said:

View PostMaark Abbott, on 22 October 2019 - 07:20 AM, said:

It's not important.

I don't know, it might be. Perhaps a turning point for the party where they are no longer entirely objectionable?

A slim chance, but a chance nonetheless.

#1113 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight

Posted 22 October 2019 - 01:49 PM

The timeline is never important. You know that! ;)
- Wyrd bið ful aræd -

#1114 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl

Posted 23 October 2019 - 07:24 AM

View PostTheRetiredBridgeburner, on 22 October 2019 - 01:49 PM, said:

The timeline is never important. You know that! ;)

Especially if you're ICE.

#1115 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 28 October 2019 - 09:11 PM

So. Brexit not happening this week. BJ kisses yet another thing he put to parliament (what's that 12-0?) and the whine thing trundles on. Because a tiny minority voted in a non binding referendum over 3 years ago to leave without knowing any of the key facts and after being lied to and after one side being proven to have broken electoral law.

Carry on.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#1116 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl

Posted 29 October 2019 - 08:21 AM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 28 October 2019 - 09:11 PM, said:

So. Brexit not happening this week. BJ kisses yet another thing he put to parliament (what's that 12-0?) and the whine thing trundles on. Because a tiny minority voted in a non binding referendum over 3 years ago to leave without knowing any of the key facts and after being lied to and after one side being proven to have broken electoral law.

Carry on.

Yep.

#1117 User is online   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 29 October 2019 - 11:31 AM

So ... who are you guys voting for? UKIP? Brexit Party? ;)

But seriously, if there was ever a time Britons should turn out and vote after thinking very carefully it's probably this one.

Of course all elections should have max attendance of eligible voters, who have all thought deeply ... but like that's ever going to happen.

https://www.news.com...fb99af251d81ad8
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#1118 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight

Posted 29 October 2019 - 11:37 AM

The problem really is the only result that would provoke change (a Labour win) seems so unlikely. I'm not saying a Labour win would solve everybody's problems and present no new ones, but I think it's the only way the state of play would alter substantially.

However, on any post about why the Tories are bad for the country or about Johnson or the Brexit mess, below the comment line is full of people lambasting Labour or Corbyn or both, including lots saying that they hate the Tories but won't vote for Corbyn.

I'd love to think they're just a really vocal minority but my fear is that they aren't and that the Tories will just get in again.

- Wyrd bið ful aræd -

#1119 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl

Posted 29 October 2019 - 12:31 PM

At this stage we can quite safely say anyone who votes Tory is either daft or thinks they'll get some of those delicious tax breaks.

Time to get those dirty blues out eh!

#1120 User is offline   Silencer 

• Manipulating Special Data
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Malazan Book of the Fallen series.
    Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 29 October 2019 - 12:57 PM

View PostMaark Abbott, on 29 October 2019 - 12:31 PM, said:

At this stage we can quite safely say anyone who votes Tory is either daft or thinks they'll get some of those delicious tax breaks.

Time to get those dirty blues out eh!

So, following in the vein of the US politics thread, this kind of declarative "if you do X, you're Y" stuff needs to stop, at least until the admin team has figured out what we're doing.

I get it. It's frustrating and it's hard to see why someone would ever want to vote for the other party - but as mundane as calling someone daft is, this is the kind of one sided rhetoric that discourages debate, rather than encourages it.

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

Share this topic:

• 87 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users