Malazan Empire: The UK Politics Thread - Malazan Empire

• 87 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The UK Politics Thread (Formerly the Brexit thread)

#801 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

• Malazan Yo Yo Champion 2009
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 07 February 2019 - 10:00 AM

While the whole John Bercow shouting thing is hilarious it demonstrates what a bloody circus Westminster is. And it only serves to prove how detached from professional reality our politicians are if they need a person yelling at them every day to keep a debate in order and votes moving along. I get that people don't want to break tradition in "the mother of parliaments" but we are at crisis point in terms of lack of respect for our politicians. You see footage from the Scottish Parliament, Welsh Assembly and European Parliament where people take it in turns to speak and can press a button to vote rather than have to spend ages traipsing in and out of lobbies. It's so much more efficient and civilised.

Betty Boothroyd was a total badass when she was Speaker.
Burn rubber =/= warp speed

#802 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 07 February 2019 - 12:05 PM

View PostMalankazooie, on 06 February 2019 - 03:26 PM, said:

This guy is my new favorite thing. You guys familiar? or no?

Well, he is the House speaker...

But yeah, Bercow is cool. For a (technically ex) Tory.
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#803 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 07 February 2019 - 11:08 PM

He married a Labour member so they gave him the Speakership as a sop to keep him on board, and while on one level I do enjoy him ripping the piss out of the Tories for the complete shower they are he still is a Tory and also allegedly an abusive bullying arsehole. We'll see what happens once the investigations conclude.
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#804 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 08 February 2019 - 06:42 AM

Oh well, not like we'll have a Parliament for long after it all goes south, riots break out en masse and martial law is imposed.
Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#805 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 11 February 2019 - 08:34 PM

They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#806 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl

Posted 12 February 2019 - 08:16 AM

Leave means Leave tho, muh 52 persents

#807 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 12 February 2019 - 10:17 AM

Interesting article about some recent exposé of Corbyn. Not strictly Brexit related but then everything in British politics is Brexit related these days...

https://www.independ...772416.html?amp
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#808 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 12 February 2019 - 02:05 PM

Oh yeah that smear book with such dazzling insights such as 'a man known for collecting manhole covers is boring' and 'every story from his ex-wife makes her look much worse than him'

Once you've read that check out this if we're on the Corbyn train:

edit: also this because it's hilarious

This post has been edited by Illuyankas: 12 February 2019 - 03:09 PM

Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#809 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 12 February 2019 - 03:16 PM

For UK nationals/residents: https://metro.co.uk/...ary-25-8565302/

They require signatures to support a petition to revoke Article 50 in case of a no deal outcome. They already reached the required numbers to get the petition raised but require 100,000 signatures to have it discussed in Parliament.
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#810 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 12 February 2019 - 03:18 PM

As long as May is in power it'll be looked at, talked about and then completely ignored, exactly like every other petition.

#811 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 12 February 2019 - 04:05 PM

Undoubtedly. But not doing anything is not helping either. I've written to my local MP as well. I suspect my constituency had a slight Brexit majority so his hands will be bound, but if enough anti-Brexit MPs in pro-Brexit areas get a mandate from their constituents that hints at voter regrets or dissatisfaction with the current course, it might just provide that little momentum to swing the discussion. Being passive is being complicit.

#812 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

Posted 12 February 2019 - 04:44 PM

View PostGorefest, on 12 February 2019 - 04:05 PM, said:

Undoubtedly. But not doing anything is not helping either. I've written to my local MP as well. I suspect my constituency had a slight Brexit majority so his hands will be bound, but if enough anti-Brexit MPs in pro-Brexit areas get a mandate from their constituents that hints at voter regrets or dissatisfaction with the current course, it might just provide that little momentum to swing the discussion. Being passive is being complicit.

I agree but I wrote to my MP with above all else a demand that he does not allow No Deal to happen. My MP is Remain, I'm Remain, our constituency is Remain. He sent back a lovely hand written note saying he agreed wholeheartedly but also believed in compromise. Then the next day he voted against Yvette Coopers amendment to extend Article 50 and against every other helpful amendment apart from the non-binding "let's not have no deal" one. All of his votes back the governments position, he's a waste of space. And why? Because he's a newly elected MP - Eton educated ex-investment banker - with his eyes on a big Tory career. Fuck the lot of them.

Teresa May coming back today asking for more time?!?! My god!! Businesses and the civil service are pouring millions into No Deal preparations while schools are asking for parental donations for pens, the NHS is crippled because the Social Care network is broken and people are relying on food banks! It's absolutely scandalous for the government to put us in this position. The ridiculousness of it being a Conservative government and they always claim to be the party of stability.

It's going to take something else isn't it?

#813 User is offline   Tapper 

• Lover of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 12 February 2019 - 05:38 PM

I wonder what comes first:

Protests, No Deal or politicians accepting the backstop.

Whatever solution May comes up with by herself is first rejected by Brussels and secondly by Reese-Mogg and his mooks. Her only optionon is delay, delay, delay to finally get Brussels to put a time-limit on the backstop of let's say 10 years (without unilateral exit) as a show of goodwill because no-one wants No Deal, including the EU27.

In the face of no deal or that, it might squeeze through the Commons, but anything presented earlier than 15 seconds to midnight will be rejected as "Go back to Brussels and negotiate us something else" with blind disregard for the fact there is

1. Nothing to negotiate
2. Zero leverage
3. UK is going back on an agreed-on deal
4. UK does not have a credible alternative

And all through it, parts of the UK still think EU selling less prosecco hurts Europe more than the UK not being able to buy Prosecco (or medicin, or food, or anything else) hurts the UK.

At some point though, some cynical careerist Brexiteers are going to accept the backstop as a fact if only because it allows them to portray the EU as the evil overlord forcing their will on plucky little Britain and blame it for EVERYTHING that goes wrong.
Everyone is entitled to his own wrong opinion. - Lizrad

#814 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

Posted 12 February 2019 - 08:20 PM

At least Brexit is reminding the world that Catch 22, Monty Python and Blackadder are the true curators of British history. Forget all the facts and whatnot we like to put out there. Farce is where it's always been when the British upper classes are involved.

#815 User is offline   EmperorMagus 

• Scarecrow of Low House PEN
  • Group: Tehol's Blissful Chickens

Posted 12 February 2019 - 08:27 PM

View PostMezla PigDog, on 12 February 2019 - 08:20 PM, said:

At least Brexit is reminding the world that Catch 22, Monty Python and Blackadder are the true curators of British history. Forget all the facts and whatnot we like to put out there. Farce is where it's always been when the British upper classes are involved.

No Yes Minister & Yes Prime Minister?
Dulce et decorum est
Pro patria mori
#sarcasm

#816 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

Posted 14 February 2019 - 06:16 PM

I'm ashamed to say I never got around to watching it.

More pointless votes in Parliament today. The government motion was for everyone to approve the fact that talks are "ongoing". WTF is that supposed to tell anyone? Rightly voted down. Nothing voted for in it's place though. So what does that mean? At least they agreed to publish the latest official no deal Brexit impact analysis. Still no route forward though. Absolute bunch of pricks.

I'm becoming increasingly ground down by relentless work stress caused by Brexit. Two of my staff have been diverted to our no deal contingency plan which means somehow I'm supposed to spread their work around. And unexpectedly due to our UK competitors not having a decent no deal plan we have tonnes of new customers asking to come to us. I had not anticipated this! I expected them to go to a competitor on mainland Europe but I guess now we're technically Dutch we are on mainland Europe... So I guess when I get my bonus this year I should send a thank you note to Farage. Unless I've collapsed from overwork of course.

#817 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl

Posted 16 February 2019 - 07:41 AM

Send him a thank you when you die from starvation instead 👌

#818 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 18 February 2019 - 07:51 AM

Look at what you leave behind @ the 3:03 mark. Why would you ever leave that?

#819 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 22 February 2019 - 09:08 PM

Wow, you guys have these people too. Posted Image

They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#820 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 26 February 2019 - 08:54 AM

talk of a new referendum

Share this topic:

• 87 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic