• You cannot reply to this topic

UEFA EURO 2016 impressions talk

#41 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Martyr of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Soccer, Chess, swimming, books, misc
  • Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 16 June 2016 - 04:49 PM

NIR is pressing carefully, keeping the wall intact.

Looks like Fomenko's plan is to try to catch a break on a counter. I hate plans like that.

UA has way more possession, but NIR has more shots. Tense game for me, but not a particularly interesting one for a disinterested outsider to watch, I don't think.

Edit: I want Garmash on the field. Our center mid is invisble.

This post has been edited by Mentalist: 16 June 2016 - 04:50 PM

The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard
THE CONTESTtm WINNER--чемпіон самоконтролю

View PostJump Around, on 23 October 2011 - 11:04 AM, said:

And I want to state that Ment has out-weaseled me by far in this game.

#42 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 16 June 2016 - 05:53 PM

Haha haha hahaaaaa, Northern Ireland!!!!!
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#43 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 16 June 2016 - 05:53 PM

Hah. Hah. Sigh.

Lesson for 2018: nationalize a Brazilian striker.

GG, NIR wall.

Welp, go Germany.

#44 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit

Posted 16 June 2016 - 06:02 PM

View PostMentalist, on 16 June 2016 - 05:53 PM, said:

Hah. Hah. Sigh.

Lesson for 2018: nationalize a Brazilian striker.

GG, NIR wall.

Welp, go Germany.

I thought the problem wasn't so much the striker, it was the balls being played in. Bad crossing, lack of vertical quick passes. It's a midfield problem and I dunno enough about the team to know if there are bench players that can do better.

There were a few late crossed balls from defenders that I honestly wouldn't go up for because it'd be a goalkeeper punching me in the head. Those are like the American football crossing routes where an uncaring or mean quarterback can make a wide receiver get absolutely levelled by a defender tackle with a poorly thrown ball.

#45 User is offline   Coltaine - 

• First Sword

Posted 16 June 2016 - 06:20 PM

Did someone understood what was happening during the not-exchange? Did they show the wrong number or did the number 13 refuse to go? And why did the number 14 got the yellow card?

#46 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 16 June 2016 - 06:23 PM

Meh. I'm the kind of player who goes face first to rob a striker off a ball that's about to land on his outstretched foot with a header. (in other words, i'm batshit insane on the field, see nothing except the ball, and all my friends call me Terminator and never want to scrimmage against me with good reason). So I really can't appreciate the "safety first" argument. If you are on the field, win the ball, make it go in net, everythig else is secondary-esp if you are playing for your country.

But yeah, the middle was not great. There was no lateral passing- once the ball was committed to a wing, it's a cross or nothing, even if it wasn't one of the wingers but the defenders (Shevchuk or Fedetskyi) bringing it up. Fedetskiy had a more passive game than the way he played against Germany, too.

Putting in Garmash helped a bit. I'm not sure what Fomenko is seeing in Kovalenko b/c all the games I see him play, Garmash is probably the most creative centre midfielder since Rotan got too old to start. But yeah linking up needs serious work.

Anyhow, now I'm expecting a symmetrical UA loss to Poland 2:0, and then I'm back to cheering on Germany in the finals.

#47 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit

Posted 16 June 2016 - 06:44 PM

The problem about sacrificing the body for one's national soccer team is that they're not really the ones who pay you. You also don't get too practice a ton with them or develop advanced routines.

I would go 90% on the field for my country if I were a higher level pro. Make a good showing, don't get hurt, and stay away from the Zika.

#48 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 16 June 2016 - 06:56 PM

Re:training: depends. In UA, 90% of the national team is drawn from the top 2-3 squads in the national league- biggest problem of UA football is that 95% of our players have very little non-domes experience- beyond some friendlies and occasional UEFA Europa league or Champion's league game, there's no exposure to world-class play and world-class players. Which is often why we under-perform when there's real pressure- in play-offs or any significant finals.

Aanyhow,lets see if Poland can beat Germany and keep the group interesting

#49 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 16 June 2016 - 06:58 PM

Holy fuck.
The last ten minutes were tense to say the least.

Unbelievable atmosphere at the game, I've been to plenty of big games, a few finals, was in the Kop for a few big big games. But when McGinn scored the second, jesus it was something else.
Wo t be able to speak for days.

#50 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit

Posted 16 June 2016 - 08:21 PM

This Poland and Germany game is the match of the first round so far. I know it's scoreless in the 65th minute, but wow, very high level from both.

#51 User is offline   Siergiej 

• High Fist

Posted 17 June 2016 - 06:15 PM

Wow. I've started watching football circa 2002 and that was the best game I've seen from Poland at a major tournament. Granted, it's only been the 14th major game in that period, because we're usually shit and get knocked out early, but it stands out by A LOT. Polish team usually had problems with tactics and stamina and yesterday they played a very mature game and looked fit throughout the 90 minutes. Some stellar individual performances helped too. Krychowiak totally dominated Khedira and Kroos in the midfield. He's a champ, I'd love to see him move to a top club and see how he performs there: he has everything to succeed. Pazdan, generally a poor defender who plays on the first team only because we don't have anyone decent to field alongside Glik, played the best game of his career. Glik, of course, was great too. Kuba didn't do much on the attack, but was a massive help for Piszczek in defence. Grosicki, a mediocre winger overall, also did much more than anyone expected him to and created 2 or 3 chances.

On the other hand, Lewandowski put in a lot of heart going against Boateng and Hummels, but he's the star player and captain of this team, we should expect much more. And Milik was terrible. He had two 100% chances after the break, he has to score balls like that. I hope he's benched for the game against Ukraine and we can see Zieliński in action, playing behind Lewandowski.

All in all good game, whatever happens in the match against Ukraine we should still make it to the top 16 unless NIR beats Germany and I'd be very surprised to see that happen (Murphy's laws tho...). In 1/8 it looks like we're gonna face Switzerland: slightly stronger side on paper, but not beyond reach.

#52 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert

Posted 17 June 2016 - 07:31 PM

View Postamphibian, on 16 June 2016 - 08:21 PM, said:

This Poland and Germany game is the match of the first round so far. I know it's scoreless in the 65th minute, but wow, very high level from both.

Really? I actually thought it was quite boring. Maybe it's because previous Euro tournaments tended to be pretty cutthroat. Milik continues to waste more scoring attempts than the rest of the team gets put together.
In any case, like in other games so far - both teams were focusing more on not losing than on winning. It's pretty sad.

That said, I'd say it was a 0 : 0 for us :) We might actually reach the quarter finals this time.
It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

#53 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit

Posted 17 June 2016 - 09:42 PM

You both have this weird dynamic of expecting star performances from the strikers without realizing that the defenders can have star performances too. Boateng did the Play of the Tournament when he stopped Lewandowski from scoring. Hummel made an excellent play on Milik once to stop a run into the box and Boateng once stopped Milik too.

Both teams were actively creating chances and both defenses were doing great to stop them. I have not seen Germany be so frantic and concerned on defense since maybe the Algeria game in the World Cup. Lewandowski is that good and played like it too.

Boring to me is what Spain did for most of their game, knock the ball around nearly aimlessly for an hour. This was back and forth with considerable action at a quick pace.

This post has been edited by amphibian: 17 June 2016 - 09:43 PM

#54 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 18 June 2016 - 07:25 PM

Missed the second half of Belgium's game. in the first half, De Bruyne was playing incredible game, making plays happen. Not surprised with the result

Iceland- Hungary was a phenomenally fun game to watch.

saw first 20 min of Austria- Portugal. Austria doing better than I'd expect them. I hope they can shut down Ronaldo an co hard

#55 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 18 June 2016 - 08:53 PM

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

he hit a post on a penalty!

oh, this is just a perfect day @ the Euros....

#56 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 18 June 2016 - 09:23 PM

Hahahahaha!

Ha ha ha.

Hahahahahahaha.....HAHAHAHAHAHA!!

lol
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#57 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 19 June 2016 - 07:35 AM

Felt for Iceland. Yes the doors were getting a kicking but id love for them to have stayed shut.

Would have been ecstatic if Eidur hada put that rebound in.

And Christiano.
Oh wonderful stuff.

Watching his face turn into an ever increasing comic gurn was wonderful. Oh the penalty miss.
You're not a patch on the real ronaldo you perma tanned popinjay. Go fix your hair a bit more.

#58 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit

Posted 19 June 2016 - 07:56 AM

I consider Cristiano to be the second best player ever and I loved Brazilian Ronaldo. There hasn't been a pure forward who was THAT fast with the ball in years. He was so fast people started breaking his knees to slow him down - which is a fate that somehow Cristiano and Messi have managed to avoid thus far.

Maradona third and Pele fourth, with Cruyff fifth.

#59 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 19 June 2016 - 08:24 AM

Yeah, great football player but a twit. And the national team has always been nauseating. From 'dive when the wind picks up' Figo to 'karate kick someone's knee caps' Pele, it has always been a collective characterised by dealing it out but not able to take it. Crybabies with knives in their boots, the lot of them.
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#60 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 19 June 2016 - 12:04 PM

Pepe has to be the most cynically dirty player of our generation. He is pure scum.
CR is a vain selfish twat and his lack of team play ability is what puts him below Messi. He'll do 5 step overs and try embarrass a defender, messi will drift past him and set up a team mate. Different level of class.
Also, any gobshite that opens a museum in their own honour, at the best of times, let alone whilst still playing....
Nah. Catch a grip son.

Share this topic:

• 11 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users