• You cannot reply to this topic

UEFA EURO 2016 impressions talk

#61 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 19 June 2016 - 04:24 PM

View PostMacros, on 19 June 2016 - 12:04 PM, said:

Pepe has to be the most cynically dirty player of our generation. He is pure scum.
CR is a vain selfish twat and his lack of team play ability is what puts him below Messi. He'll do 5 step overs and try embarrass a defender, messi will drift past him and set up a team mate. Different level of class.
Also, any gobshite that opens a museum in their own honour, at the best of times, let alone whilst still playing....
Nah. Catch a grip son.

I think Charlie Adam and Van Bommel are worse than Pepe. The Portuguese is a diver (who hasn't done a ton of that lately) and very willing to foul, but he doesn't try to end careers like Van Bommel or Adam.

The pretty boy stuff, I don't mind from Cristiano. It's making him tons of money and if he can still play very, very well on top of that, all the more power to him. He's making the money and not so much the billionaire owners, so I'm ok with the players making as much lucre as they can before they retire and have to deal with the pain and the transition to non-playing careers. Fuck the owners and fuck FIFA/UEFA/CONCACAF.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#62 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Martyr of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Soccer, Chess, swimming, books, misc
  • Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 19 June 2016 - 05:21 PM

I've had a dislike of Ronaldo since 2004. He was a poster child for Portugal, and I was attending high school with a heavy percentage of Portuguese kids. Lovely people, except when talking about, or playing football. Anything that'd shut their cocky mouths was great.

I started to loathe CR in 2010, when during the SA world cup, after a less then stellar game against Nigeria, I think, he had a press conference where he complained that "refs should pay more attention to the MORE VALUABLE players". At which point, he forever became a self-entitle twat in my books, and his every failure in the national team a cause for celebration.

This post has been edited by Mentalist: 19 June 2016 - 05:22 PM

The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard
THE CONTESTtm WINNER--чемпіон самоконтролю

View PostJump Around, on 23 October 2011 - 11:04 AM, said:

And I want to state that Ment has out-weaseled me by far in this game.

#63 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 19 June 2016 - 09:44 PM

Finally watched France play. okay, yep, they're good. Still hate Koscielny, but France has a good squad. That second half run from Sessoko was phenomenal.

Switzerland needs Shaquiri to get his ass in gear and get creative. He did better second half, but if they don't get more creativ,e they're not going past quarter finals.

didn't see Romania-Albania, but wow, interesting.

#64 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 20 June 2016 - 08:06 AM

Amp, youtube, search pepe kick, pepe punch, pepe spit.
He's a fucking scumbag

#65 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 20 June 2016 - 08:07 AM

Also, CRs comments after iceland game says all you need to know about him. Arsehole

#66 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 20 June 2016 - 09:17 PM

Some magnificent defending from Slovakia. Their keeper was spot on, and so was their captain Skrtel (sp?). Not a whole lot of creativity when attacking/countering. Whenever they'd get a "break-out", they would get to the last third, and then feel lost.

England continues to have problem finding finishes, but all credit to Slovakian D.

Russia is out. good job, Wales, winning the group.

#67 User is offline   Coltaine - 

• First Sword

Posted 20 June 2016 - 09:24 PM

Wales leading the group. Looks like a good competition for underdogs until now. :)

#68 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 20 June 2016 - 10:15 PM

Did i mention my wife is half Welsh yet? Posted Image
With the Netherlands not in the tournament, I'm taking any straws that I can clutch to.
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#69 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 21 June 2016 - 06:10 AM

Yeah I'm impressed with Wales - unlike the rugby, I'd actually be OK with them doing very well in this tournament! Let's face it, England aren't going to get any further so now I am throwing my weight behind Iceland!
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#70 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 21 June 2016 - 10:28 AM

Loving iceland.
England are shite. Bad they won convincingly last night we were basically guaranteed through. Useless cunts

#71 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 21 June 2016 - 01:52 PM

And so we approach the one 3rd round game that means nothing (PL-UA).

I want it to be a spectacular, highest-scoring game of the tourney, just for the hell of it. Hoping Fomenko just cuts the players loose and tells them to go nuts.

my Polish friends are telling me Poland is giving pretty much everyone with a yellow a break this game, so we're essentially facing the B team. I'm hoping to get some entertainment, even if there's no prospects in it.

In Group D, I still haven't made up my mind which game to watch and which to PVR. Both should be interesting.

#72 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert

Posted 21 June 2016 - 06:22 PM

Hardly meant nothing. If Germany lost to NI and we lost to Ukis we could still be out.
In any case, not a great game. I pity Ukraine, not a single point, not a single goal. And the worst thing is that they played well for the most part of all 3 games, just lacked execution.

Wales gave me the biggest smile this week. Stomping on Russia was magnificent.
It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

#73 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 21 June 2016 - 07:22 PM

View PostGothos, on 21 June 2016 - 06:22 PM, said:

Hardly meant nothing. If Germany lost to NI and we lost to Ukis we could still be out.
In any case, not a great game. I pity Ukraine, not a single point, not a single goal. And the worst thing is that they played well for the most part of all 3 games, just lacked execution.

Wales gave me the biggest smile this week. Stomping on Russia was magnificent.

UA really needs to work on defending set-pieces. As soon as I saw Rotan' and Konopa leaving Blaszykowski open for a pas like that (both went for ball), I had a very bad feeling. Good thing we didn't allow a second.

Overall, same story as always- no experienced players who play European-level football. I can only hope that after his lacklustre performance, Yarmolenko asking price goes down so he finally gets sold to Everton. Apparently, Zinchenko (who made himself useful this game) is being sold to ManCity. We need more legionnaires. There's some strong defenders who can keep games tight, but if our offence can't score, we'll end up being another Romania- toughing out the qualifiers, then flopping the actual tournament.

#74 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 21 June 2016 - 08:54 PM

Holy crap, bee-utiful game by Croatia. Superb finish.

#75 User is offline   Coltaine - 

• First Sword

Posted 21 June 2016 - 09:56 PM

Okay,
Germany - Northern Ireland: The result was okay, but Germany had so much possibilities and only made one goal. They need to improve this.
NI is still in the last sixteen. I'm happy about that. Their fans are great. Will Grigg's on fire. :D

Spain - Croatia was the game of the evening.
At first I thought that Spain would smash Croatia, but they came back after the first goal and fought until the end. Even dominated Spain in the beginning of the second half. A totally deserved victory. :D

#76 User is offline   Khellendros 

• Saboteur of High House Mafia

Posted 21 June 2016 - 10:09 PM

So after that fantastic Croatia win, the knock out stage looks like this, with regards to the 'top' teams:

- The bottom half will have Spain, Italy, Germany, France, and England. Possibly also Portugal.

- The top half will have Belgium, Croatia, Poland, and Wales as their top teams.

Wow. I think we're pretty much guaranteed a surprise finalist. Wales anyone? And to think England would have been in that top half had they beaten Russia or Slovakia.
"I think I've made a terrible error of judgement."

#77 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 22 June 2016 - 02:16 AM

Messi wrecks teams so well that I'm in awe that he's basically playing 50% of the time and standing around the rest of the time.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#78 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 22 June 2016 - 08:20 AM

Messi?

Anyway, tonight I need Iceland to beat Austria and Hungary to hold Portugal to a draw. Or maybe beat them, as it would be fun to see them progress no further. :D
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#79 User is offline   Siergiej 

• High Fist

Posted 22 June 2016 - 08:29 AM

Were you guys serious with Brazilian Ronaldo being better than Cristiano? CR has scored 50+ goals in 6 consecutive seasons. Brazilian Ronaldo broke through 30 in 5 seasons in his entire career, only once scoring more than 40. They're not in the same league. I am very sentimental towards stars of the past myself but let's be serious here. No one of the previous generations of players comes even close to CR and Messi. Ronaldo, Zidane, Ronaldinho, they were brilliant humans: CR and Messi are machines. You can dislike one or the other and CR in particular gives more than enough reasons to hate him, but skill-wise they just have no match.

Happy to see Poland advance. We're in the theoretically weaker half of the ladder all the powerhouses are going to kill each other in their way to the final. Still not getting my hopes to high because Switzerland and Croatia are stronger than us on paper, Wales is having a good tournament as well, but none of them are beyond reach of Lewandowski & co.

#80 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 22 June 2016 - 11:35 AM

CRs a twat, a selfish twat. As such he is and always will be inferior to messi and co. Suarez is a better player.

Anyways.

1-0 to the world champions? The team that thrashed brazil 7-1?
WE'RE NOT BRAZIL WE'RE NORTHERN IRELAND!!!

Drinking with a few germans after the game, they were in awe of our fans, 90 minutes of non stop noise. backed by hours of it prematch. In the streets and on the metro. Same after the game.
Their faces when we were like 'aye, but imagine if we'd scored or won' and it clicked with them that this was our support when losing and having like 20% possession of the ball.

Cant speak. Cant function, lying in bed in bits, arms are just dead from clapping.

Delighted to have got through.
Honestly would prefer france over wales in last 16. They havent turned up at all, and bale fuxking scares mw

Share this topic:

• 11 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users