Malazan Empire: E3 June 14-16th 2016 - Electronic Entertainment Expo - Malazan Empire

• 4 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

E3 June 14-16th 2016 - Electronic Entertainment Expo Hype, drama, predictions, wishful thinking

#61 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 17 June 2016 - 04:31 AM

View PostKhellendros, on 16 June 2016 - 03:43 PM, said:

View PostApt, on 13 June 2016 - 07:36 PM, said:

Just remembered, there was no For Honor at Bethesda's conference. I was hoping for single player footage. I hope it doesn't die like Battlecry.

There was also no Crackdown 3 at Microsofts conference. I was hoping to play it this year but it looks like it was pushed to 2017. I need my orb gathering fix damn it!

Well, it's an Ubisoft game so unlikely to be at Bethesda's conference :) There was plenty of For Honor on show at Ubi's...and it managed to make me intrigued for the game in a way it totally failed to last year.

Probably the game I was most 'wow' about that I didn't know much about before was actually Legend of Zelda. Looks absolutely gorgeous and I like the tech angle they're going with for this one.

Yeah I realised my confusion when I watched the Ubisoft conference later.

I've become sort of underwhelmed by Zelda: Breath of the Wind. It does not look great. The world textures look flat and lack detail, the lighting is over saturated, the world looks kind of empty, the movement seems sluggish, generally this feels too much like Ocarina of Time and not enough like Skyrim or Farcry.

I think Prey looked great, in the sense that it is a different take on the other worldly horror of the first game. In the first game you were abducted and found yourself on some kind of hellish moon space ship where you were being hunted.

In this new one you wake up Portal style and find you are again being experimented on and hunted in some kind of human trials. I think it works very well.

In regards to the IP I think it makes perfect sense to use the Prey title, since the premise of the game is right there in the title. IPs are pointless if you don't use them.

#62 User is offline   Khellendros 

• Saboteur of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 17 June 2016 - 07:07 AM

View PostApt, on 17 June 2016 - 04:31 AM, said:

I've become sort of underwhelmed by Zelda: Breath of the Wind. It does not look great. The world textures look flat and lack detail, the lighting is over saturated, the world looks kind of empty, the movement seems sluggish, generally this feels too much like Ocarina of Time and not enough like Skyrim or Farcry.

I feel there's more than enough Skyrim and Far Cry 'realistic' art style game worlds out there. Zelda's is not going for that. It's purposefully lacking detail, with oversaturated lighting etc., because that's the art direction they're going for. Reminds me of The Witness or Journey to an extent, that kind of painterly style. And I personally think it looks gorgeous. It has its own distinct look which set it apart from every other game shown this year.

As for Prey, as I said, there's no reason that it can't be a good game. I just really wanted to see the original Prey 2. I also saw those emails leaked by Kotaku, where the studio head was saying that Zenimax wouldn't let them do a new IP, but if they slapped the Prey name on whatever they were doing then they could do that.

Is it me or were there no new intriguing indies shown at the presentations? The only one I sort of remember is EA's new Unravel-like game.
"I think I've made a terrible error of judgement."

#63 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 17 June 2016 - 02:42 PM

They only highlight indies when they have nothing better to show off.

#64 User is offline   Khellendros 

Posted 17 June 2016 - 03:13 PM

View PostCause, on 17 June 2016 - 02:42 PM, said:

I wouldn't say they had much to show off full stop. List of new games revealed at E3 this year:

Batman Arkham VR
Days Gone
Dead Rising 4
Death Stranding
Dual Universe
Ever Oasis
Fe
FIFA 17
Final Fantasy XV VR Experience
Forza Horizon 3
God of War
Grow Up
Gwent: The Witcher Card Game
Just Dance 2017
Killing Floor Incursion
Observer
Oxygen Not Included
Prey
Quake Champions
Resident Evil 7
Spider-Man
Star Wars Battlefront 2
Star Wars (Respawn game)
Star Wars (Visceral game)
Star Wars Battlefront X-Wing VR Mission
State of Decay 2
Steep
Superhot VR
Trials of the Blood Dragon
Tyranny

Really not the most inspiring list. I mean, there's a fair few I'll look forward to playing here (Forza, God of War, Oxygen Not Included, State of Decay 2, Death Stranding probably but that's going to be years off, a couple of others) but really not anything where I'm like, OMG MUST HAVE NOW!!

This post has been edited by Khellendros: 17 June 2016 - 03:18 PM

#65 User is offline   Khellendros 

Posted 17 June 2016 - 03:30 PM

Of course, should note that the above list is a bit disingenuous because it doesn't include all the games shown which had been announced previously.

#66 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 17 June 2016 - 03:48 PM

I'm not going to lie, I honestly thought that FFXV was going to finally introduce some other non-male/non-human playables at E3...but it seems like it's a K-Pop Boy Band sausage fest throughout...that kind of bothers me. Coupled with the main female (Cid in this game) role being that of a busty mechanic who fixes their damned car...just ugh.

I miss Lightning.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#67 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Martyr of High House Mafia
  • Interests:Soccer, Chess, swimming, books, misc
  • Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 17 June 2016 - 03:57 PM

View PostKhellendros, on 17 June 2016 - 03:13 PM, said:

View PostCause, on 17 June 2016 - 02:42 PM, said:

I wouldn't say they had much to show off full stop. List of new games revealed at E3 this year:

Batman Arkham VR
Days Gone
Dead Rising 4
Death Stranding
Dual Universe
Ever Oasis
Fe
FIFA 17
Final Fantasy XV VR Experience
Forza Horizon 3
God of War
Grow Up
Gwent: The Witcher Card Game
Just Dance 2017
Killing Floor Incursion
Observer
Oxygen Not Included
Prey
Quake Champions
Resident Evil 7
Spider-Man
Star Wars Battlefront 2
Star Wars (Respawn game)
Star Wars (Visceral game)
Star Wars Battlefront X-Wing VR Mission
State of Decay 2
Steep
Superhot VR
Trials of the Blood Dragon
Tyranny

Really not the most inspiring list. I mean, there's a fair few I'll look forward to playing here (Forza, God of War, Oxygen Not Included, State of Decay 2, Death Stranding probably but that's going to be years off, a couple of others) but really not anything where I'm like, OMG MUST HAVE NOW!!

To b fair, it's the middle of the console cycle. Those who needed to figure out brand loyalty have already done that. Everyone @ E3 I preaching to the faithful- there's no need to really "wow" anyone at this point.

All major publishers have had their heavy hitter for the year lined up already- even Ubisoft with the Watchdogs 2 leak. So everyone knows where revenue will come from next 2 quarters.

Next E3 with Scorpio and the specs for the nintendo box and whatever from Sony, there'll probably be more attempts at "outside the box new IP". But this year there's no need to wow anyone. There's tons of hype for known releases coming later this year, why tamper with it?
The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard
THE CONTESTtm WINNER--чемпіон самоконтролю

View PostJump Around, on 23 October 2011 - 11:04 AM, said:

And I want to state that Ment has out-weaseled me by far in this game.

#68 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Martyr of High House Mafia
  • Interests:Soccer, Chess, swimming, books, misc
  • Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 17 June 2016 - 10:41 PM

View PostApt, on 17 June 2016 - 04:31 AM, said:

View PostKhellendros, on 16 June 2016 - 03:43 PM, said:

View PostApt, on 13 June 2016 - 07:36 PM, said:

Just remembered, there was no For Honor at Bethesda's conference. I was hoping for single player footage. I hope it doesn't die like Battlecry.

There was also no Crackdown 3 at Microsofts conference. I was hoping to play it this year but it looks like it was pushed to 2017. I need my orb gathering fix damn it!

Well, it's an Ubisoft game so unlikely to be at Bethesda's conference :) There was plenty of For Honor on show at Ubi's...and it managed to make me intrigued for the game in a way it totally failed to last year.

Probably the game I was most 'wow' about that I didn't know much about before was actually Legend of Zelda. Looks absolutely gorgeous and I like the tech angle they're going with for this one.

Yeah I realised my confusion when I watched the Ubisoft conference later.

I think Prey looked great, in the sense that it is a different take on the other worldly horror of the first game. In the first game you were abducted and found yourself on some kind of hellish moon space ship where you were being hunted.

In this new one you wake up Portal style and find you are again being experimented on and hunted in some kind of human trials. I think it works very well.

In regards to the IP I think it makes perfect sense to use the Prey title, since the premise of the game is right there in the title. IPs are pointless if you don't use them.

forgot to comment on this

You wake up on a floating space station, with a friendly yet corruptible AI, and overrun by evil blob things.

This game couldn't try harder to be System Shock without naming the station "Bastion" or smth
The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard
THE CONTESTtm WINNER--чемпіон самоконтролю

View PostJump Around, on 23 October 2011 - 11:04 AM, said:

And I want to state that Ment has out-weaseled me by far in this game.

Share this topic:

• 4 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users