Malazan Empire: E3 June 14-16th 2016 - Electronic Entertainment Expo - Malazan Empire

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

E3 June 14-16th 2016 - Electronic Entertainment Expo Hype, drama, predictions, wishful thinking

#21 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 08 June 2016 - 03:52 PM

Even more Deus Ex:

I think the most surprising thing about this video is that it takes place in daytime. I was sitting and thinking about it and I think all of Deus Ex: HR took place at night/in darkness. Am I right about that?

This post has been edited by Apt: 08 June 2016 - 03:54 PM

#22 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Martyr of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Soccer, Chess, swimming, books, misc
  • Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 08 June 2016 - 04:08 PM

When you are infiltrating Pangu, the "ceiling" level of Hengsha, there's a point when you are next to a wall window showing daytime (possibly sunrise, don't remember).

Also, the last level is bright, because Arctic.

Edit, re: Breach. It reminds me of the "contracts" feature of the last couple of Hitman games. Seems like an interesting way to shoehorn online elements into DX.
I don't have anything against it, as long as it's possible to play offline.

ETAAgain: watched the hub gameplay. Neat, but I hope I can turn the mini-map off. EM made pretty much all HUD optional in THI4F, so I hope they do it here too, because that red corner was just irritating.
We didn't really get a glimpse into just how much "investigation" there will be in the story, which is basically my biggest question at this point. if we get more of HR it's not bad... but i'm still kinda hoping that they'll do more with it (HR's gameplay was entertaining. The story was mediocre).

Welp, Aug is not THAT far off, and I got plenty of stuff to play in the meantime.

This post has been edited by Mentalist: 08 June 2016 - 04:41 PM

The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard
THE CONTESTtm WINNER--чемпіон самоконтролю

View PostJump Around, on 23 October 2011 - 11:04 AM, said:

And I want to state that Ment has out-weaseled me by far in this game.

#23 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 09 June 2016 - 01:22 AM

Double post: Watch Dogs 2 has an announcement video that's also 18 min long.

Basically, even more open, hackable world (hack every person; hack every car). And it's in San Francisco. The main char is actually a member of a hacktivist group this time, rather than avigilante.

If it actually works as a coherent simulation,this can can go somewhere.

Oh, and it's coming in November Ubi gonna be trying to out-hype Dishonored 2 looks like with its own take on stealth and simulation.

Edit for linky:

This post has been edited by Mentalist: 09 June 2016 - 01:39 AM

#24 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 09 June 2016 - 10:28 AM

All the remakes are pissing me off. They are great if you never played the game and didn't own the previous console generation. Otherwise it is just easy and lazy money. It's more okay when it's a whole collection like uncharted or heavily discounted like metro but it's getting out of hand

I think injustice uses some kind of magic pill to give all the characters super strength to justify the combat

#25 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 09 June 2016 - 09:04 PM

So I've done a little digging to get up to speed on what's what. Basically right now I'm most curious about Bethesda's conference, because Prey 2. Mind, not the awesome space bounty hunter Prey 2 circa 2012, but something that is (according to the rumour mill) more System Shock-y. And given Warren Spector is basically making System Shock, that's less novel and exciting than it could've been.

Still, I haven't lost all interest in that project when Zenimax/Beth killed Human Head over IP rights, so I'm still curious to see what it'll turn out being.

Beyond that, ionno. Ubi might come up with a potentially interesting new IP. We'll see.

Dishonored 2, Watchdogs 2, DXMD, ME:C, these are all interesting projects, but they're already coming this year, so I really can't bring myself to be hyper-hyped for any of them, even though i'll probably like and buy them eventually.

This post has been edited by Mentalist: 09 June 2016 - 09:05 PM

#26 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 09 June 2016 - 09:51 PM

Just read a scary article. 62 percent of the games revealed at E3 2015 are still not released

#27 User is offline   Khellendros 

• Saboteur of High House Mafia

Posted 10 June 2016 - 05:37 AM

@ Apt: They did have a plot reason in the original Injustice game for how all the characters could fight each other on an equal basis. That game was loads of fun. I also really enjoyed Netherealm's Mortal Kombat reboots (also had amazingly ridiculous over the top plots like Injustice), and I don't usually like fighting games. So I'm definitely looking forward to Injustice 2.

I did a double take while watching that trailer for Deus Ex: Breach. That IS Volume, which was released a few months ago (it's by the guy who made Thomas Was Alone). Visual style, gameplay, even concept (virtual infiltration), it's very similar. Just first-person rather than Volume's top-down third-person. Now we know why Deus Ex was delayed: Volume was released and they thought, we should do that! :p

As for Watch Dogs 2, I'm completely with Ment on this one. While I enjoyed it up to a point, I was ultimately very disappointed by the original, and I'm sceptical that this one will be sufficiently different/have learned from the mistakes of the first. Have to laugh at the, 'main character has a grudge against the system because he was accused of a crime he didn't commit', who will now apparently go on to commit far worse crimes with 3D-printed illegal guns ;)
"I think I've made a terrible error of judgement."

#28 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 10 June 2016 - 02:20 PM

View PostMentalist, on 09 June 2016 - 01:22 AM, said:

Double post: Watch Dogs 2 has an announcement video that's also 18 min long.

Basically, even more open, hackable world (hack every person; hack every car). And it's in San Francisco. The main char is actually a member of a hacktivist group this time, rather than avigilante.

If it actually works as a coherent simulation,this can can go somewhere.

Oh, and it's coming in November Ubi gonna be trying to out-hype Dishonored 2 looks like with its own take on stealth and simulation.

Edit for linky:

I got really excited watching the livestream and some of the gameplay commentary on various sites. I liked Watch_dogs and it sounds like they're doing a lot to improve on the established tropes and strengths.

I am a little worried that they will stray further from the vigilante persona from the first game. I really liked roleplaying as a punisher character that was just straight up executing criminals.

I think that Ubisoft is going to try to pull a GTAV with the full playthrough co-op. I think they've seen how popular GTA became in social media and want to steal some thunder. They already had some interesting hacking based multiplayer in the first one, it will be interesting to see people hacking things in tandem.

View PostCoonass, on 09 June 2016 - 03:10 AM, said:

View Postchamp, on 08 June 2016 - 03:28 PM, said:

Rumour has it that Skyrim will be shown at E3 as a remaster

This would piss me off so much. Give us TES VI not a redo of V.

Not a remake. Just a fresh coat of paint and higher fidelity. It costs them a couple million and

View PostCause, on 09 June 2016 - 10:28 AM, said:

All the remakes are pissing me off. They are great if you never played the game and didn't own the previous console generation. Otherwise it is just easy and lazy money. It's more okay when it's a whole collection like uncharted or heavily discounted like metro but it's getting out of hand

I see this sentiment repeated over and over on Reddit and Neogaf. I just don't understand the criticism. Video games are entertainment products. They are made to earn money. Of course they are going to try and sell them over and over again to create a long tail.

Do you get angry when they make Bluray editions of old movies? Remaster of old music tracks? They originally came out on VHS or on LPs. Should they just have stopped then and never released any improved versions?

Let them remaster and re-release everything they can. The people who want it will buy it and the ones who don't can just not buy them.

View PostMentalist, on 09 June 2016 - 09:04 PM, said:

So I've done a little digging to get up to speed on what's what. Basically right now I'm most curious about Bethesda's conference, because Prey 2. Mind, not the awesome space bounty hunter Prey 2 circa 2012, but something that is (according to the rumour mill) more System Shock-y. And given Warren Spector is basically making System Shock, that's less novel and exciting than it could've been.

Still, I haven't lost all interest in that project when Zenimax/Beth killed Human Head over IP rights, so I'm still curious to see what it'll turn out being.

Beyond that, ionno. Ubi might come up with a potentially interesting new IP. We'll see.

Dishonored 2, Watchdogs 2, DXMD, ME:C, these are all interesting projects, but they're already coming this year, so I really can't bring myself to be hyper-hyped for any of them, even though i'll probably like and buy them eventually.

Prey 2 is definitely a weird one now. I wonder what the game even is any longer. A gory FPS shooter or some kind of open world bounty hunting game? Personally I thought the weird gravity and size altering abilities and pocket dimensions were really cool in the first game. Generally I welcome any new shooter. They don't make enough of them any more.

View PostCause, on 09 June 2016 - 09:51 PM, said:

Just read a scary article. 62 percent of the games revealed at E3 2015 are still not released

Eh, some times the announcements are just confirmations or teasers that a new project has begun. It's all boasting and preening for investors and fans. Personally I don't really look at any release date or announcement as a given that a game is even coming out any longer. I believe it a month before the game is coming out, not before.

View PostKhellendros, on 10 June 2016 - 05:37 AM, said:

@ Apt: They did have a plot reason in the original Injustice game for how all the characters could fight each other on an equal basis. That game was loads of fun. I also really enjoyed Netherealm's Mortal Kombat reboots (also had amazingly ridiculous over the top plots like Injustice), and I don't usually like fighting games. So I'm definitely looking forward to Injustice 2.

View PostCause, on 09 June 2016 - 10:28 AM, said:

I think injustice uses some kind of magic pill to give all the characters super strength to justify the combat

Yeah, I remember the pill, but please... Some magic pill is not going to make Batman capable of going toe to toe with Superman or the Flash. Evil superman fights to kill. He'd just cut you in half with his laser eyes or throw you into the sun or rip you in half. Nanobot/magic pills or not.

Flash would punch you a million times in the dick before you blink and then teleport you into the past and let you watch as he suffocates you in your crib.

Superman and the Flash are gods.

View PostKhellendros, on 10 June 2016 - 05:37 AM, said:

As for Watch Dogs 2, I'm completely with Ment on this one. While I enjoyed it up to a point, I was ultimately very disappointed by the original, and I'm sceptical that this one will be sufficiently different/have learned from the mistakes of the first. Have to laugh at the, 'main character has a grudge against the system because he was accused of a crime he didn't commit', who will now apparently go on to commit far worse crimes with 3D-printed illegal guns :)

I have gotten so old that am actually having a bit of a counter-reaction to the protagonist. He's a bit too youth-culture for my liking. He looks like something that jumped out of a "fashion and accessories for teens and twenty-somethings"-manual.

But on the other hand maybe its cool that they break the mold.

#29 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 10 June 2016 - 02:40 PM

Well I can't say for certain how many hours and programmers a remaster rakes but there is an opportunity cost involved. Everyone they try to sell us an old game again they are not selling us a new game.

I only got my PS3 halfway into the generation so it's hard to compare. Still it often feels. Like the ps4 has a lot fewer games

#30 User is offline   champ 

• Omnipotent Overseer of the Universe
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 10 June 2016 - 02:51 PM

I know a few people in the game industry who work for large devs - their argument is that remakes actually increase innovation...

They are a quick turnaround, easy money and it means there is less pressure on the developer to succeed with their next game so they then create more what they want to create than what they know will sell well...

Tehol said:

'Yet my heart breaks for a naked hen.'

#31 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 10 June 2016 - 02:53 PM

That KINGDOM HEARTS 2.8 trailer looks sweet!

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#32 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 10 June 2016 - 03:07 PM

I've actually had to "acquire" th original Prey, since 2K pulled it from Steam after some mega-sale before I was using Steam, and now it's not available for digital purchase anywhere. It's on the list of things to play.

I don't think the Beth Prey 2 is gonna be a straight-up shooter since they have another Arkane team working on it, supposedly. On the other hand, i'm having a hard time matching system shock's cyberpunk tropes and the alien weirdness of Prey (though I haven't played it, I took a peek @ a visual walkthrough, so I know what to expect)

@ Cause: I'm not really seeing that stat as terrible. I'd rather get a product of several years of work released when it's done then a yearly slew of iterations and unoriginal sequels.

Glancing back @ Apt's original post: YES, I also want Darksiders III. It's thethe only series on PC that's come close to scratching that Soul Reaver-ish itch for action/adventure explore'em up in a funky mythological setting. But I believe Nordic Games own the rights now, and although they've been gathering former Vigil employees, I dunno if they have the resources for something like that.

#33 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 12 June 2016 - 07:49 PM

The EA conference is about to go live.

I am surprisingly in the dark about what EA will be revealing. There's been a ton of leaks the last 24 hours but not really anything specific from EA.

The only two products that I am really looking forward to are Mass Effect Andromeda and Battlefield 1. But surely they have to have something secret prepared right? It can't just be Mass Effect and Battlefield and then 40 minutes of sports games.

Maybe a Dragon Age teaser coming out fall 2017? Some teaser for one of the numerous Star Wars products they are working on?

EDIT: Oh what am I thinking, there's Titan Fall 2 of course.

This post has been edited by Apt: 12 June 2016 - 07:50 PM

#34 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 12 June 2016 - 09:09 PM

My god. Some how EA managed to make a conference that was even more boring than 2014.

The only 2 moments I was really excited about was that 3 second clip of Visceral's third person Star Wars game and the gameplay footage of Battlefields multiplayer.

Why did I stay up for this? Going to bed, expecting Bethesda to blow my socks off tomorrow morning.

This post has been edited by Apt: 12 June 2016 - 09:10 PM

#35 User is offline   Stalker 

• House Knight

Posted 12 June 2016 - 11:00 PM

Some of the press conferences started today. I think Bethesda is still to come tonight. I'd love to see TES6, but think it's unlikely.

#36 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 13 June 2016 - 05:56 AM

Bethesdas showcase was sooo much better than EAs. Like a complete 180. They pretty much only unveiled content we either didn't know about or hadn't see yet.

Spoiler

#37 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 13 June 2016 - 07:15 AM

Plenty of TES. Just nothing expectional to me.

There's a new TES card game called Legends.

There's a Dark Brotherhood expansion plus servermerging in TES: Online

And there's an enhanced version of Skyrim coming out in October. It will supposedly be free if you already own all the DLC for skyrim or bought the legendary edition.

#38 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 13 June 2016 - 05:56 PM

watching M$oft delayed (pausing livestream, cuz doing stuff around the house

Gears 4- avalaible on XBone and Win 10. going for cross-play again.

Killer Instinct, Forza... with all these cross-play titles I'm getting tempted to get Win 10 to dual-boot just for the M$oft games.

ReCore also Win 10... that's an interesting looking title.

EDIT; FF15 demo- looks confusing.

Expansion for the Division... meh

Battlefield 1- looks purty, I guess
Minectraft- more cross-platform play, etc

WE Happy few seems interesting. Bioshock-y

Gwent is a stand-alone game now. huh.

Tekken is back. good news for figthing game enthusiasts.

Dead rising- meh, zombies not my thing.

Scalebound- ooh, WANT

*at this point I had to step out for a few hours, and then the pause on my live feed auto-updated, so I lost it. Gonna have to wait for the conference to be available as a separate thing (and me having the attention span to watch it)*

This post has been edited by Mentalist: 14 June 2016 - 01:40 AM

#39 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 13 June 2016 - 06:49 PM

Definitely a lot of great looking titles at the conference.

This is the official pre-liminary list of games that will also be available on Win10:

Forza Horizon 3
Gears of War 4
Halo Wars 2
ReCore
Scalebound
Sea of Thieves
State of Decay 2
We Happy Few

I am at the same time thrilled and disappointed by the list. I just do not understand why Microsoft keeps producing more and better looking exclusives than Sony, only for them to port them to PC. For me personally it's great, I don't have to buy their console, but in terms of convincing new buyers to adopt the X-box it's like pouring money down the drain. Such a confusing business strategy. Very consumer friendly (sort of) but I want a stronger console war.

Most excited about Forza Horizons 3. I have gotten really interested in driving games the past couple of years but there's just not that many non-simulation driving games on PC. I will definitely be buying FH3 eventually.

#40 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 13 June 2016 - 07:36 PM

Just remembered, there was no For Honor at Bethesda's conference. I was hoping for single player footage. I hope it doesn't die like Battlecry.

There was also no Crackdown 3 at Microsofts conference. I was hoping to play it this year but it looks like it was pushed to 2017. I need my orb gathering fix damn it!

Share this topic:

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users