Malazan Empire: E3 June 14-16th 2016 - Electronic Entertainment Expo - Malazan Empire

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

E3 June 14-16th 2016 - Electronic Entertainment Expo Hype, drama, predictions, wishful thinking

#41 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Martyr of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Soccer, Chess, swimming, books, misc
  • Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 13 June 2016 - 09:49 PM

View PostApt, on 13 June 2016 - 06:49 PM, said:

Definitely a lot of great looking titles at the conference.

This is the official pre-liminary list of games that will also be available on Win10:

Forza Horizon 3
Gears of War 4
Halo Wars 2
ReCore
Scalebound
Sea of Thieves
State of Decay 2
We Happy Few

I am at the same time thrilled and disappointed by the list. I just do not understand why Microsoft keeps producing more and better looking exclusives than Sony, only for them to port them to PC. For me personally it's great, I don't have to buy their console, but in terms of convincing new buyers to adopt the X-box it's like pouring money down the drain. Such a confusing business strategy. Very consumer friendly (sort of) but I want a stronger console war.

Most excited about Forza Horizons 3. I have gotten really interested in driving games the past couple of years but there's just not that many non-simulation driving games on PC. I will definitely be buying FH3 eventually.

M$oft didn't win over the business sector in Win 10 adoption. So instead they're gonna try to hit the gamer market. Seeing a few previously XBone exclusives make their way to Win 10 might be enough to get me to adopt Win 10 as a secondary OS purely for their games (i'll keep my Win 7 as a primary for Steam, GOG and pretty much everything else).

(I had to take a prolonged break in E3 watching. Paused the livestream on the Scalebound demo. WANT!!! I'll finish wrappin up my thoughts after I get home and sit down to work, with E3 in the background.)
The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard
THE CONTESTtm WINNER--чемпіон самоконтролю

View PostJump Around, on 23 October 2011 - 11:04 AM, said:

And I want to state that Ment has out-weaseled me by far in this game.

#42 User is offline   Obdigore 

• ThunderBear

Posted 13 June 2016 - 10:33 PM

M$oft didn't win over the business sector in Win 10 adoption.

What are you talking about? Business take a while to verify all their in house software runs on new OS'es. Acting like every business with MS desktops isn't preparing to, or in the middle of, migrating to Win10 is just right off.

Everyone I know in the field who works on this stuff has either already done it or is getting ready to do it.
Monster Hunter World Iceborne: It's like hunting monsters, but on crack, but the monsters are also on crack.

#43 User is offline   LinearPhilosopher 

• House Knight
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Everything.

Posted 14 June 2016 - 01:03 AM

View PostObdigore, on 13 June 2016 - 10:33 PM, said:

What are you talking about? Business take a while to verify all their in house software runs on new OS'es. Acting like every business with MS desktops isn't preparing to, or in the middle of, migrating to Win10 is just right off.

Everyone I know in the field who works on this stuff has either already done it or is getting ready to do it.

Yeah pretty much every company is likely in the middle of doing it. But theres a lenghty testing period (assuming your company's IT is being done right)

#44 User is offline   Silencer 

• Manipulating Special Data
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Malazan Book of the Fallen series.
    Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 14 June 2016 - 01:32 AM

View PostLinearPhilosopher, on 14 June 2016 - 01:03 AM, said:

Yeah pretty much every company is likely in the middle of doing it. But theres a lenghty testing period (assuming your company's IT is being done right)

Unless your company is behind on versions and the support window is closing rapidly. :)

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

#45 User is offline   Stalker 

• House Knight

Posted 14 June 2016 - 01:33 AM

Just watched through the Microsoft conference. Games, games, games, hardware. No true exclusives but I don't care if the games are also on windows 10, as part of the ecosystem.

I liked the look of Sea of Thieves, Gwent (!), We Happy Few, Forza, some other too. Camera work sucked throughout the event though. I don't care what's happening on stage, I just want to see the games.

The Slim was nice and had some cool features like 2 TB hard drive and integrated power brick, but not enough to make me buy one (unlike 360 elite) when Scorpio has been announced for next year. That should be cool. Interesting that my best of their press conference that last 2 years has been hardware - elite controller (amazing) last year and Scorpio this year.

#46 User is offline   Silencer 

• Manipulating Special Data
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Malazan Book of the Fallen series.
    Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 14 June 2016 - 01:41 AM

View PostStalker, on 14 June 2016 - 01:33 AM, said:

Just watched through the Microsoft conference. Games, games, games, hardware. No true exclusives but I don't care if the games are also on windows 10, as part of the ecosystem.

I liked the look of Sea of Thieves, Gwent (!), We Happy Few, Forza, some other too. Camera work sucked throughout the event though. I don't care what's happening on stage, I just want to see the games.

The Slim was nice and had some cool features like 2 TB hard drive and integrated power brick, but not enough to make me buy one (unlike 360 elite) when Scorpio has been announced for next year. That should be cool. Interesting that my best of their press conference that last 2 years has been hardware - elite controller (amazing) last year and Scorpio this year.

Yeah. Anyone who is excited instead of pissed off by the 2Tb on the slim...go back to the release of the original One and realise that this should have been standard back then.
Then also realise how much of the commentary from that still holds today and is only validated by Microsoft releasing new hardware so soon. Bleh.

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

#47 User is offline   Stalker 

• House Knight

Posted 14 June 2016 - 01:51 AM

It's interesting though. Probably part of the whole "eliminating boundaries / games for all" rhetoric they were going on about. Create a low cost of entry for people who don't care what the console's specs are and scale up from there.

$299 for slim / regular Xbox one with 500gb

$399 for 1 TB

$499 with kinect (why was I forced to buy one initially?!)

$599 Scorpio?

#48 User is offline   LinearPhilosopher 

• House Knight
  • Interests:Everything.

Posted 14 June 2016 - 01:56 AM

View PostSilencer, on 14 June 2016 - 01:32 AM, said:

View PostLinearPhilosopher, on 14 June 2016 - 01:03 AM, said:

Unless your company is behind on versions and the support window is closing rapidly. :)

well the alternative is too simnply not upgrade at all. TD canada trust still runs windows XP and canadian tire's system is an OS from from the 70s. You can just keep running the same thing provided it works and doesn't crash.

#49 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 14 June 2016 - 05:17 AM

Bethesda

QUake: ok, I missed its heyday, and i'm not an MP kind of guy, but hey, good for those who play it.

TES card game: yawn.
Skyrim legendary- eh. I still need to play Morrowind

Arkane's Prey- the shooting and enemies feel kinda similar to the orignal X-COM FPS. The FPS aesthetic feels kinda simlar to the original's screenshots. not getting a system shock vibe, but that's a good thing in this case, I think.

more things for Doom. fairly standard

More TES online stuff- MMO so yawn

Dishonored 2:
pretty and atmospheric setting

Gameplay- so much stabbing. Dust looks cool, but should probably make the PC take damage.

The time thing is a cool gimmick. though the set-up feels a bit Cradle-y

Overall, one new IP to look forward to with interest. And I really DO need to play Dishonored.

#50 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 14 June 2016 - 07:11 AM

God of war! The cynic in me feels that was a very staged demo. Also what were we seeing? Open world? Rpg leveling mechanics?

Also announcing the Xbox one s and the Scorpio for One year later seems a wierd tactical blunder. Why would I buy now when a better one is out in a year

#51 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 14 June 2016 - 04:06 PM

I thought Microsoft's conference was good and Bethesda's conference was excellent, but god damn that Sony conference was amazing. Just one rock solid reveal and demo after another.

Spoiler

Gonna sit down and watch Nintendo's Tree house thing next.

#52 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 14 June 2016 - 04:47 PM

The Spiderman game looks hype...but the costume update in the trailer is possibly the worst Spidey costume I've ever seen. That big splotchy white spider is AW-FUL.

That said, I don't really care much about the costume...as the gameplay in Spiderman games is always what makes them sing. As long as the webslinging is intuitive...I'm in.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#53 User is offline   champ 

• Omnipotent Overseer of the Universe
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 15 June 2016 - 07:04 PM

Relevant to upthread, TESVI will be years away apparently, they are working on two new games equivalent in size to Skyrim/Fallout so don't have the time for it at the moment... which means they'll be working on it but keeping it secret for now.

Random thoughts:

I'm not an Xbox fan but still watched the conference, thought it was decent enough though the drilling home of cross purchase got annoying but...

Watching the Sony conference afterwards, Sony absolutely shown them how to do it. Probably one of the best in years.

God of War looks sooooo good, Open World it seems, a matured Kratos, I've played all the games and cannot wait for this.

Same goes for Horizon Dawn, everytime I see this it just looks better and better.

Is it just me or anyone else getting sick of zombies now, I see them in a game and just don't want to buy it, lost my interest.

I know I'll purchase PSVR but wait to see what games are out first to decide when to buy it.

As for Nintendo... god damn you Nintendo, I was lucky enough to skip Wii U, first console of theirs I haven't owned and dubious about the NX but it doesn't matter anymore... Zelda.... wow! Zelda-Skyrim but without the side quests, I'm in.

As an aside, that Pokemon section was so boring after the Zelda intro trailer, was like a twisted torture making you wait for more Zelda fix and onto that...

This game looks like gaming-crack, the open world aspect, start from nothing and salvage your weapons/equipment is a great new dynamic but in a way a return to the earlier Zeldas too. Apparently if you're an amazing gamer, it's that open world you could run straight for the final boss and attempt the end game. 12-14 times the size of Twilight Princess, this game will be huge. My only concern is that they give you enough to do in the world to keep it interesting but it's Nintendo, I have faith with their games and from what has been shown, it looks like so much fun.

I know i'll be buying this console purely for this game, cannot wait to see more.

Tehol said:

'Yet my heart breaks for a naked hen.'

#54 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 15 June 2016 - 11:48 PM

Managed to watch Ubi conference tonight. Hrrm

The new IP is kind of a miss for me. I like the raw enthusiasm of the devs, but I got absolutely 0 interest in winter sports, so I don't relate to the theme at all.

Watch Dogs and South Park are 2 interesting IPS, but I still need to play the originals.

Ubi's tendency to make open-world games with frequent attempts to throw in multiplayer I have no interest in severely limits my ability to be interested in their games.
Wildlands might be interesting, but I'll probably be more interested in Boiling Point or Just Cause if I want a fix of Latin American drug barons stomping as opposed to this.

#55 User is offline   Khellendros 

• Saboteur of High House Mafia

Posted 16 June 2016 - 03:43 PM

View PostApt, on 13 June 2016 - 07:36 PM, said:

Just remembered, there was no For Honor at Bethesda's conference. I was hoping for single player footage. I hope it doesn't die like Battlecry.

There was also no Crackdown 3 at Microsofts conference. I was hoping to play it this year but it looks like it was pushed to 2017. I need my orb gathering fix damn it!

Well, it's an Ubisoft game so unlikely to be at Bethesda's conference :) There was plenty of For Honor on show at Ubi's...and it managed to make me intrigued for the game in a way it totally failed to last year.

None of the new IPs blew me away this year, I have to say. No Horizon or Watch Dogs-like game this year where I was like, "I have to know more about this!" The best games seemed to be the ones we already knew plenty about, only they've all been delayed to 2017 when originally they were supposedly coming out this year :)

Probably the game I was most 'wow' about that I didn't know much about before was actually Legend of Zelda. Looks absolutely gorgeous and I like the tech angle they're going with for this one.

Most disappointing: Finding out what Sony Bend's game finally was. Yet another post-apocalyptic zombie game. Great. The gameplay felt underwhelming too. The 'sea of onrushing zombies' thing is only cool for like the first five seconds, and then it was basically like, 'sooo, they've increased the speed of the Dead Rising zombies?'
"I think I've made a terrible error of judgement."

#56 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 16 June 2016 - 06:34 PM

Well, there's the new Prey from Arkane. It's exciting to have that confirmed. The problems are:

1) at first brush it's not as cool a concept as Human Head's Prey 2 was.
1)a) people remember the legal nastiness between Zenimax and Human Head for the IP.
2) Arkane is going for a system shock-y vibe. But,
2)a) That's not original anymore, because Warren Spector I already working on System Shock 3.

#57 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 16 June 2016 - 08:59 PM

Sony impressions:

God of War: winter edition. Umm, Skyrim edition?

Days Gone- Moar Zombie survival stuff? It feels a bit dated.

Oh hey, the epic of Last Guardian is ending- it has a release date.

Ok, horizon zero dawn still looks cool. Too bad it's an exclusive.

Android movie game-multi-variant adventure game? Cool, I guess?

Ooh-er, new Resident Evil.

VR... stuff... overload. Som of I looks cool. Too bad I don't care about VR

Kojima game- weird.

New Spidey looks interesting with a all the exploding and destruction. It's like Infamous, but Spider-man.

Daysgone gameplay- all that shooting strikes me as a waste of bullets when you should be running running F away back to the bike.

One thing I like about Sony is how laconic they can be. Sometimes it's literally "here, look at our games" they speak for themselves.

Overall, some pretty cool stuff.

#58 User is offline   Khellendros 

Posted 16 June 2016 - 10:05 PM

View PostMentalist, on 16 June 2016 - 06:34 PM, said:

Well, there's the new Prey from Arkane. It's exciting to have that confirmed. The problems are:

1)a) people remember the legal nastiness between Zenimax and Human Head for the IP.
2)a) That's not original anymore, because Warren Spector I already working on System Shock 3.

That's what I forgot to write about in my previous post. I was really disappointed by that new reveal trailer for Prey. Obviously an entirely different game from Prey 2. But if you're doing that, then why not just have it as an entirely new IP? Is the name recognition for Prey really that powerful, after one game that sold and reviewed 'okay', that it had to be called that? I somehow doubt it. Ultimately it just seems a fuck you to Human Head to call this Prey as well.

As for the game itself, it looks like a mix of Alien: Isolation and Dead Space. There's no reason why it can't be 'good', but the original concept for Prey 2 was far more intriguing for me, and I'm sad that this finally means any hope of that being resurrected is now extinguished.

#59 User is offline   Khellendros 

Posted 16 June 2016 - 10:06 PM

Oh, and Christopher Judge (Teal'c from Stargate) is the voice of Kratos. That's cool.

#60 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 16 June 2016 - 10:38 PM

View PostKhellendros, on 16 June 2016 - 10:05 PM, said:

View PostMentalist, on 16 June 2016 - 06:34 PM, said:

That's what I forgot to write about in my previous post. I was really disappointed by that new reveal trailer for Prey. Obviously an entirely different game from Prey 2. But if you're doing that, then why not just have it as an entirely new IP? Is the name recognition for Prey really that powerful, after one game that sold and reviewed 'okay', that it had to be called that? I somehow doubt it. Ultimately it just seems a fuck you to Human Head to call this Prey as well.

As for the game itself, it looks like a mix of Alien: Isolation and Dead Space. There's no reason why it can't be 'good', but the original concept for Prey 2 was far more intriguing for me, and I'm sad that this finally means any hope of that being resurrected is now extinguished.

I want Human Head to change the name and Kickstart that space-bounty hunter game

Share this topic:

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users