Malazan Empire: WHEEL OF TIME TV series officially in development - Malazan Empire

• 8 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

WHEEL OF TIME TV series officially in development It's happening! (probably)

#21 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 29 April 2016 - 10:46 PM

View Postamphibian, on 29 April 2016 - 09:11 PM, said:

If you have this much thought of and roughed out at this point, go seriously for the job. You're qualified.

Ha! I was going to say the same thing.

As always with adaptations, cautiously optimistic.
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#22 User is offline   Terez 

• High Analyst of TQB
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:WWQBD?
  • WoT Fangirl, Rank Traitor

Posted 29 April 2016 - 10:56 PM

I don't even know what 'the job' is, honestly. This seems somewhere between writer and producer. And don't you need a resume for that? I think for the moment I'll concentrate on applying for the Director job that just opened for the World of the Wheel track at JordanCon. :)

The President (2012) said:

Please proceed, Governor.

Chris Christie (2016) said:

There it is.

Elizabeth Warren (2020) said:

And no, I’m not talking about Donald Trump. I’m talking about Mayor Bloomberg.

#23 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 30 April 2016 - 05:59 AM

View PostTerez, on 29 April 2016 - 10:56 PM, said:

I don't even know what 'the job' is, honestly. This seems somewhere between writer and producer. And don't you need a resume for that? I think for the moment I'll concentrate on applying for the Director job that just opened for the World of the Wheel track at JordanCon. :)

Completely serious, there's most likely a space for you at a writer's table or show adaptation table. Werthead got something going for ASOIAF, and he initially brought less to the table than you do right now.

I have been offhandedly very praising of you and your interests (esp WoT) for years. It's because you both have the knowledge and the context awareness to fit it into the right places.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#24 User is offline   Terez 

• High Analyst of TQB

Posted 30 April 2016 - 06:42 AM

View Postamphibian, on 30 April 2016 - 05:59 AM, said:

Completely serious, there's most likely a space for you at a writer's table or show adaptation table. Werthead got something going for ASOIAF, and he initially brought less to the table than you do right now.

I have been offhandedly very praising of you and your interests (esp WoT) for years. It's because you both have the knowledge and the context awareness to fit it into the right places.

I appreciate your faith, but I have always been very nervous about putting myself forward for jobs like this. Even the Wheel track position at the con. I have probably never in my life been more qualified for a job than this one; their job description seems like an invitation for me, specifically, to apply; in a lot of ways, the application process seems like a formality. But I'm still nervous about applying for it, and terrified that they'll pick someone else, despite the fact that I would have been okay with just doing what I have been doing at the con in future years. I took over the trivia panels this year; they are the most work-intensive panels on the track, and before this year they were always run by the track director. I suspect that this was a test to see whether I could handle running this track, and I'm still terrified, despite overwhelmingly positive feedback on trivia and my other panels.

There it is.

#25 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit

Posted 30 April 2016 - 06:45 AM

You can do that mighty good. And other things too.

I'm going to bed because I'm so loopy I sound Southern.

#26 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 30 April 2016 - 09:05 AM

View PostTerez, on 29 April 2016 - 09:09 PM, said:

1: TEOTW+2: TGH+TDR3: TSR+TFOH4: TFOH+LOC+bits of ACOS (especially overlap in the ACOS prologue) but this season is mostly LOC, the longest book in the series.5: ACOS+TPOD+bits of WH (especially Elayne)6: WH+COT (with bits of TPOD and maybe even KOD, ending with the Cleansing--357 pages of COT happened before the Cleansing)7: KOD+TGS8: TOM+AMOL

but I want this to be done well and I'd hope he is open to suggestions about how to make it work without unnecessary sacrifices.

I tend to prefer Wert's structure, sorry. Yours will shed viewers by the score during seasons 5 and 6.

But at least it has the advantage of being a finished work.

View PostTerez, on 30 April 2016 - 06:42 AM, said:

I appreciate your faith, but I have always been very nervous about putting myself forward for jobs like this. Even the Wheel track position at the con. I have probably never in my life been more qualified for a job than this one; their job description seems like an invitation for me, specifically, to apply; in a lot of ways, the application process seems like a formality. But I'm still nervous about applying for it, and terrified that they'll pick someone else, despite the fact that I would have been okay with just doing what I have been doing at the con in future years. I took over the trivia panels this year; they are the most work-intensive panels on the track, and before this year they were always run by the track director. I suspect that this was a test to see whether I could handle running this track, and I'm still terrified, despite overwhelmingly positive feedback on trivia and my other panels.

Dead serious, that is the killer punch phrase you bring to the interview. Because you will get one. I'm not a betting man at all, but I'd even put money on it.
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#27 User is offline   Primateus 

• E Pluribus Anus
  • Interests:Stuff, lots of stuff!

Posted 30 April 2016 - 10:23 AM

View PostTsundoku, on 29 April 2016 - 10:24 AM, said:

Now is also a good time for someone to resurrect/start a "who should play ...?" thread. Because the inevitable arguments are quite entertaining. :)

I don't know who should play who, but I suggest a complete gender reversal of all characters, because why the fuck not?
Screw you all, and have a nice day!

#28 User is offline   Werthead 

• Ascendant

Posted 30 April 2016 - 11:30 AM

Werthead got something going for ASOIAF, and he initially brought less to the table than you do right now.

Huh? I didn't get anything going for the TV show, other than some discussions right at the very start of the process which the producers may have seen. In particular I think I might have been the first person to say Charles Dance for Tywin, but apparently that was their casting choice long before they started talking to the fans.

As for WoT, I did have an...interesting discussion with the guys from Red Eagle a long time ago via Dragonmount, back when they were still planning a film. I laid out for them exactly why that was a very bad idea, with ideas that I later summarised in my Wheel of Television series.
Visit The Wertzone for reviews of SF&F books, DVDs and computer games!

"Try standing out in a winter storm all night and see how tough you are. Start with that. Then go into a bar and pick a fight and see how tough you are. And then go home and break crockery over your head. Start with those three and you'll be good to go."
- Bruce Campbell on how to be as cool as he is

#29 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit

Posted 30 April 2016 - 01:02 PM

The book work on the extended world of ASOIAF wasn't a thing?

#30 User is offline   Werthead 

• Ascendant

Posted 30 April 2016 - 02:40 PM

View Postamphibian, on 30 April 2016 - 01:02 PM, said:

The book work on the extended world of ASOIAF wasn't a thing?

No, that was Elio and Linda from Westeros.org. I didn't work on that at all. I did write an essay for Beyond the Wall, a collection of non-fiction articles about the books and the TV series, and I've done some work on website stuff and quizzes for HarperCollins, but that's about it.

"Try standing out in a winter storm all night and see how tough you are. Start with that. Then go into a bar and pick a fight and see how tough you are. And then go home and break crockery over your head. Start with those three and you'll be good to go."

#31 User is offline   Terez 

• High Analyst of TQB

Posted 30 April 2016 - 05:09 PM

View PostTsundoku, on 30 April 2016 - 09:05 AM, said:

I tend to prefer Wert's structure, sorry. Yours will shed viewers by the score during seasons 5 and 6.

Yeah, I don't agree. I find that readers such as yourself don't even remember well what happened in books 7-11 and how much interesting material is there, so I certainly wouldn't allow your prejudices to dictate how I organize it. :)

There it is.

#32 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 30 April 2016 - 05:15 PM

View Postamphibian, on 30 April 2016 - 05:59 AM, said:

I wasnt joking either. Youre intelligent and insanely knowledgeable on the subject.

Just send in a resume for the position "Person who knows more about you on the subject matter". Or somesuch.
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#33 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight

Posted 30 April 2016 - 07:03 PM

Terez, you know a lot. I'm not huge about the series but reading your thoughts and the depth of analyses on here was one of the reasons I picked them up again and finished the series - which I'm really pleased I did. I agree with the others above - I think there's a place for you to be involved.
- Wyrd bið ful aræd -

#34 User is offline   Werthead 

• Ascendant

Posted 30 April 2016 - 08:35 PM

Terez's knowledge of WoT is exceptional. If they needed a creative consultant, they've already got their choice right there :)

However, I do think Far Madding is gone from the TV show. There's no way they'd devote the resources needed to portraying it that late in the game. The Hall of the Counsels and the Guardian would be CGI anyway (probably) but they'd have to look at the need for going to that location, inventing new stuff and casting new characters (the cast list of the TV show is going to be miniscule compared to the cast list in the books) when they can just cut the whole thing and have Rand going straight to the Cleansing.

It's a nice idea to try to include it, but that's what we thought about Dorne in GoT and that did not work out well :p

This post has been edited by Werthead: 30 April 2016 - 08:36 PM

#35 User is offline   Kruppe'sStainedClothing 

• Recruit

Posted 30 April 2016 - 10:21 PM

i am so fucking excited to hear this

its obvious they will have to cut a lot, but i think the story will still transfer well with out all the Aes Sedai bickering and politicking, Perrin rescuing faile for 3 books etc.

still this is a very expensive endeavor just based of casting alone, since almost the whole cast is around until the very end

and lets not forget the amount of special effects due to channeling

#36 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 01 May 2016 - 01:51 AM

View PostBriar King, on 01 May 2016 - 01:17 AM, said:

Mat and Tylin better be left alone and unrushed. Those 2 made bk 7 my 2nd fav and I can't wait to see the cougar hunt onscreen.

Sorry, but I think that will be severely edited or totally cut. As it should. No still means no, even if it's "only" a man saying it.

Just because he got a little bit Stockholm at the end still doesn't make it right. He should have used all that martial (not marital, note) prowess he supposedly had and casually disarmed and restrained her, enough for her to realise she was totally at his mercy and asked her if she still thought it was funny.

Unless the producers want to make this all HBO-y?

EDIT:
Following on that last sentence, I understand RJ did that as part of the sexes role-reversal thing he had going on with the series, but the only way it could work IMHO is if it were depicted straight out - no prevaricating - as rape.

This post has been edited by Tsundoku: 01 May 2016 - 02:00 AM

"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#37 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 01 May 2016 - 03:25 AM

heh, been reading the reddit:

https://www.reddit.c..._tv_adaptation/

@BK
I have shamelessly lifted this from the "wasn't it rape?" reddit at

https://www.reddit.c...5g/rape_in_wot/
A Crown of Swords, Chapter 28, Bread and Cheese
"Of course you’re not a cat," Tylin said. "You’re a succulent little duckling, is what you are."
Mat gave a start and stared. Duckling? And a little duckling, at that! The woman stood well short of his shoulder. Indignation or no indignation, he managed an elegant bow anyway. She was the Queen; he had to remember that. "Majesty, thank you for these wonderful apartments. I’d love to talk with you, but I have to go out and -"
Smiling, she advanced across the red-and-green floor tiles, layered blue and white silk petticoats swishing, large dark eyes fixed on him. He had no desire at all to look at the marriage knife nestled in her generous cleavage. Or the larger, gem-studded dagger thrust behind an equally gem-studded belt. He backed away.
"Majesty, I have an important -"
She started humming. He recognized the tune; he had hummed it to a few girls lately. He was wise enough not to try actually singing with his voice, and besides, the words they used in Ebou Dar would have singed his ears. Around here, they called it "I Will Steal Your Breath with Kisses."
Laughing nervously, he tried to put a lapis-inlaid table between them, but she somehow got around it first without seeming to increase her speed. "Majesty, I -"
She laid a hand flat on his chest, back-heeled him into a high-backed chair, and plumped herself down on his lap. Between her and the chair arms, he was trapped. Oh, he could have picked her up and set her on her feet quite easily. Except that she did have that bloody big dagger in her belt, and he doubted his manhandling her would be as acceptable to her as her manhandling him seemed to be. This was Ebou Dar, after all, where a woman killing a man was justified until proven otherwise. He could have picked her up easily, except...
He had seen fishmongers in the city selling peculiar creatures called squid and octopus - Ebou Dari actually ate the things! - but they had nothing on Tylin. The woman possessed ten hands. He thrashed about, vainly trying to fend her off, and she laughed softly. Between kisses, he breathlessly protested that someone might walk in, and she just chuckled. He babbled his respect for her crown, and she chortled. He claimed betrothal to a girl back home who held his heart in her hands. She really laughed at that.
"What she does not know cannot harm her," she murmured, her twenty hands not slowing for an instant.
Someone knocked at the door.
and again
A Crown of Swords, Chapter 28, Festival of Birds
It was too much. The woman hounded him, tried to starve him; now she locked them in together like... like he did not know what. Lambkin! Those bloody dice were bouncing around in his skull. Besides, he had important business to see to. The dice had never had anything to do with finding something, but... He reached her in two long strides, seized her arm, and began fumbling in her belt for the keys. "I don’t have bloody time for -" His breath froze as the sharp point of her dagger beneath his chin shut his mouth and drove him right up onto his toes.
"Remove your hand," she said coldly. He managed to look down his nose at her face. She was not smiling now. He let go of her arm carefully. She did not lessen the pressure of her blade, though. She shook her head. "Tsk, tsk. I do try to make allowances for you being an outlander, gosling, but since you wish to play roughly... Hands at your sides. Move." The knifepoint gave a direction. He shuffled backward on tiptoe rather than have his neck sliced.
"What are you going to do?" he mumbled through his teeth. A stretched neck put a strain in his voice. A stretched neck among other things. "Well?" He could try grabbing her wrist; he was quick with his hands. "What are you going to do?" Quick enough, with the knife already at his throat? That was the question. That, and the one he asked her. If she intended to kill him, a shove of her wrist right there would drive the dagger straight up into his brain. "Will you answer me!" That was not panic in his voice. He was not in a panic. "Majesty? Tylin?" Well, maybe he was in a bit of a panic, to use her name. You could call any woman in Ebou Dar "duckling" or "pudding" all day, and she would smile, but use her name before she said you could, and you found a hotter reception than you would for goosing a strange woman on the street anywhere else. A few kisses exchanged were never enough for permission, either.
Tylin did not answer, only kept him tiptoeing backward, until suddenly his shoulders bumped against something that stopped him. With that flaming dagger never easing a hair, he could not move his head, but eyes that had been focused on her face darted. They were in the bedchamber, a flower-carved red bedpost hard between his shoulder blades. Why would she bring him...? His face was suddenly as crimson as the bedpost. No. She could not mean to... It was not decent! It was not possible!
"You can’t do this to me," he mumbled at her, and if his voice was a touch breathy and shrill, he surely had cause.
"Watch and learn, my kitten," Tylin said, and drew her marriage knife.

Again, think of this in reverse and the scene becomes very very disturbing

And as we have been told repeatedly these days, playing "hard to get" should be basically interpreted as "No".

http://keepmesafe.or...rs-417x1024.jpg

This post has been edited by Tsundoku: 01 May 2016 - 03:26 AM

#38 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 01 May 2016 - 04:55 AM

View PostBriar King, on 01 May 2016 - 04:41 AM, said:

I'm curious if we ll see any New Spring coverage at all.

Maybe they could mix it in with that flashback stuff I mentioned earlier?

#39 User is offline   Terez 

• High Analyst of TQB

Posted 01 May 2016 - 06:31 AM

View PostWerthead, on 30 April 2016 - 08:35 PM, said:

Terez's knowledge of WoT is exceptional. If they needed a creative consultant, they've already got their choice right there :)

However, I do think Far Madding is gone from the TV show. There's no way they'd devote the resources needed to portraying it that late in the game. The Hall of the Counsels and the Guardian would be CGI anyway (probably) but they'd have to look at the need for going to that location, inventing new stuff and casting new characters (the cast list of the TV show is going to be miniscule compared to the cast list in the books) when they can just cut the whole thing and have Rand going straight to the Cleansing.
It's a nice idea to try to include it, but that's what we thought about Dorne in GoT and that did not work out well :p

The Hall of the Counsels was not so intricately described that it would be difficult to set. They'd basically need one CGI shot of the city, aerial view, as the women enter, but other than that I don't see what the big budget deal is. As they said, the Guardian isn't much to look at. It's not some big fancy ter'angreal. As for casting, the only important one is the First Counsel, Aleis Barsalla. The others are basically extras, even in the book.

PS: I really don't think Dorne is a good comparison. Cutting Dorne would be like cutting Cairhien. The problem with Dorne is not that they didn't cut it, but that they screwed it up so badly. Dorne is a major plotline in the books; Far Madding is just a one-stop with no major long-term casting considerations. It could probably be filmed in a sort of cupola building the likes of which can be found in basically every town on earth. Or it could be filmed on set. There's no reason to cut it and it adds a lot of depth to the world, to Rand's character, and to Cadsuane's and Verin's characters in particular, especially when all the narrative padding is removed and only the best bits remain.

View PostBriar King, on 01 May 2016 - 03:06 AM, said:

We ve got very dif def of rape. That wasn't. That was an old fashioned game of playing hard to get and I loved it.

It was definitely rape, though RJ tried his best to pretend it wasn't. That doesn't mean it should be cut, nor does it mean that it has to be spelled out in the show. It's a conversation-starter, and it was always intended to be. I hope to do a panel on this at JordanCon some time or another.

This post has been edited by Terez: 01 May 2016 - 06:50 AM

There it is.

#40 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 01 May 2016 - 07:19 AM

See, you're planning already ... :)

Share this topic:

• 8 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users