Malazan Empire: WHEEL OF TIME TV series officially in development - Malazan Empire

• 9 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

WHEEL OF TIME TV series officially in development It's happening! (probably)

#21 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 29 April 2016 - 07:06 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 29 April 2016 - 06:52 PM, said:

View PostAbyss, on 29 April 2016 - 06:42 PM, said:

All I want is that one scene where Nynaeve strangles a Fade to death with her braid and then says "Ha. Let's see an Aes Sedai do THAT with a weave.".

I need a braid joke of some kind in there. Something off the wall. Tongue-placed-firmly-in-cheek type joke.

Fixed.

You're welcome.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#22 User is offline   Terez 

• High Analyst of TQB
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:WWQBD?
  • WoT Fangirl, Rank Traitor

Posted 29 April 2016 - 09:09 PM

View PostWerthead, on 29 April 2016 - 12:44 PM, said:

7 season option: 2 books per season. Great idea at the start, might get a little dodgy with Seasons 4 and 5 (Books 7-10) and it also drops some major series finale events.

I've always preferred the 6-season option

There are a thousand ways to juggle this, but my preference is 7 or 8, either being about 13 episodes per season (which is barely realistic, nevermind the numbers in the 20s being thrown out there). I would of course prefer 8 because I think TEOTW should optimally take up almost an entire season, with the first several chapters of TGH tacked on at the end in the last episode, but that would definitely make for 8 seasons. (And it would require chronology/continuity juggling to make the Darkfriend Social work as a season opener for season 2.)

1: TEOTW+
2: TGH+TDR
3: TSR+TFOH
4: TFOH+LOC+bits of ACOS (especially overlap in the ACOS prologue) but this season is mostly LOC, the longest book in the series.
5: ACOS+TPOD+bits of WH (especially Elayne)
6: WH+COT (with bits of TPOD and maybe even KOD, ending with the Cleansing--357 pages of COT happened before the Cleansing)
7: KOD+TGS
8: TOM+AMOL

I think season 3 (in this scenario) should end with the TFOH climaxes rather than Alcair Dal, which could happen basically 3 episodes before the Battle of Cairhien. Then you end with Rand vs Rahvin which is a better season climax, partly because it ties in the girls' plotline so well, but there are a hundred little details about this point in the story that make for an amazing season ending, so much better than Alcair Dal, even considering the Asmodean battle. But Rand's entire TFOH plotline could happen in 3 episodes; Alcair Dal is a good midseason event, with the Rhuidean stuff happening around episode 4 (of 13). And Asmodean becomes basically a single-season character.

The buildup with the beginning of the Black Tower to Dumai's Wells could then take a whole season, as it should. One possibility to make this work smoothly is to have Nynaeve capture Moghedien before they reach Salidar, so all the Salidar stuff in TFOH could happen in season 4, and the capture before the end of season 3. I would prefer it if they caught her on the ship than in Tanchico where they first faced off湧ynaeve letting her get away once is good耀o the Tanchico climax would have to come at least 2-3 episodes before Rahvin. Anyway, Rand's Black Tower to Dumai's Wells plotline would then be fully parallel to the Salidar to Egwene-as-Amyrlin plot.

The trickiest season in this scenario is 5, because the climaxes are the Bowl of the Winds and Rand killing Sammael. The girls would have to get the Bowl mid-season and use it at the end. I think optimally season 6 (ending with the Cleansing) should begin with Rand's campaign against the Seanchan, with him visiting Far Madding in the final episodes. In the books, he's basically in Far Madding for a whole book. But this way, Rand's whole plot with the Darkfriend Asha'man (Torval, Gedwyn, Kisman, and Dashiva) begins and ends in the same season (though the beginnings of it are before, during, and after Dumai's Wells).

I have not actually put the work into planning this properly; I thought about it recently but blew it off because it's honestly a lot of work for something that's not going to be used by anyone. But if Jason is really on this, I might take the gamble; I am not after a job or a credit but I want this to be done well and I'd hope he is open to suggestions about how to make it work without unnecessary sacrifices.

The President (2012) said:

Please proceed, Governor.

Chris Christie (2016) said:

There it is.

Elizabeth Warren (2020) said:

And no, I知 not talking about Donald Trump. I知 talking about Mayor Bloomberg.

#23 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 29 April 2016 - 09:11 PM

If you have this much thought of and roughed out at this point, go seriously for the job. You're qualified.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#24 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 29 April 2016 - 10:46 PM

View Postamphibian, on 29 April 2016 - 09:11 PM, said:

If you have this much thought of and roughed out at this point, go seriously for the job. You're qualified.

Ha! I was going to say the same thing.

As always with adaptations, cautiously optimistic.
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#25 User is offline   Terez 

• High Analyst of TQB

Posted 29 April 2016 - 10:56 PM

I don't even know what 'the job' is, honestly. This seems somewhere between writer and producer. And don't you need a resume for that? I think for the moment I'll concentrate on applying for the Director job that just opened for the World of the Wheel track at JordanCon. :)

There it is.

#26 User is offline   Briar King 

• Master of the Deck
  • Drive by bye bye king

Posted 29 April 2016 - 11:09 PM

Mods should prob edit in a spoiler warning in OP just to be safe and give a heads up. If they read on its their fault.
MODGOD NOTICE OF YEP, DONE, TNX.

This post has been edited by Abyss: 30 April 2016 - 11:43 AM

Drive by bye bye king on my dumb horse

#27 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit

Posted 30 April 2016 - 05:59 AM

View PostTerez, on 29 April 2016 - 10:56 PM, said:

I don't even know what 'the job' is, honestly. This seems somewhere between writer and producer. And don't you need a resume for that? I think for the moment I'll concentrate on applying for the Director job that just opened for the World of the Wheel track at JordanCon. :)

Completely serious, there's most likely a space for you at a writer's table or show adaptation table. Werthead got something going for ASOIAF, and he initially brought less to the table than you do right now.

I have been offhandedly very praising of you and your interests (esp WoT) for years. It's because you both have the knowledge and the context awareness to fit it into the right places.

#28 User is offline   Briar King 

• Master of the Deck
  • Drive by bye bye king

Posted 30 April 2016 - 06:01 AM

Yep you can try.
Drive by bye bye king on my dumb horse

#29 User is offline   Terez 

• High Analyst of TQB

Posted 30 April 2016 - 06:42 AM

View Postamphibian, on 30 April 2016 - 05:59 AM, said:

Completely serious, there's most likely a space for you at a writer's table or show adaptation table. Werthead got something going for ASOIAF, and he initially brought less to the table than you do right now.

I have been offhandedly very praising of you and your interests (esp WoT) for years. It's because you both have the knowledge and the context awareness to fit it into the right places.

I appreciate your faith, but I have always been very nervous about putting myself forward for jobs like this. Even the Wheel track position at the con. I have probably never in my life been more qualified for a job than this one; their job description seems like an invitation for me, specifically, to apply; in a lot of ways, the application process seems like a formality. But I'm still nervous about applying for it, and terrified that they'll pick someone else, despite the fact that I would have been okay with just doing what I have been doing at the con in future years. I took over the trivia panels this year; they are the most work-intensive panels on the track, and before this year they were always run by the track director. I suspect that this was a test to see whether I could handle running this track, and I'm still terrified, despite overwhelmingly positive feedback on trivia and my other panels.

There it is.

#30 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit

Posted 30 April 2016 - 06:45 AM

You can do that mighty good. And other things too.

I'm going to bed because I'm so loopy I sound Southern.

#31 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• Make the Empire Great Again

Posted 30 April 2016 - 09:05 AM

View PostTerez, on 29 April 2016 - 09:09 PM, said:

1: TEOTW+2: TGH+TDR3: TSR+TFOH4: TFOH+LOC+bits of ACOS (especially overlap in the ACOS prologue) but this season is mostly LOC, the longest book in the series.5: ACOS+TPOD+bits of WH (especially Elayne)6: WH+COT (with bits of TPOD and maybe even KOD, ending with the Cleansing--357 pages of COT happened before the Cleansing)7: KOD+TGS8: TOM+AMOL

but I want this to be done well and I'd hope he is open to suggestions about how to make it work without unnecessary sacrifices.

I tend to prefer Wert's structure, sorry. Yours will shed viewers by the score during seasons 5 and 6.

But at least it has the advantage of being a finished work.

View PostTerez, on 30 April 2016 - 06:42 AM, said:

I appreciate your faith, but I have always been very nervous about putting myself forward for jobs like this. Even the Wheel track position at the con. I have probably never in my life been more qualified for a job than this one; their job description seems like an invitation for me, specifically, to apply; in a lot of ways, the application process seems like a formality. But I'm still nervous about applying for it, and terrified that they'll pick someone else, despite the fact that I would have been okay with just doing what I have been doing at the con in future years. I took over the trivia panels this year; they are the most work-intensive panels on the track, and before this year they were always run by the track director. I suspect that this was a test to see whether I could handle running this track, and I'm still terrified, despite overwhelmingly positive feedback on trivia and my other panels.

Dead serious, that is the killer punch phrase you bring to the interview. Because you will get one. I'm not a betting man at all, but I'd even put money on it.
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn稚 work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#32 User is offline   Primateus 

• E Pluribus Anus
  • Interests:Stuff, lots of stuff!

Posted 30 April 2016 - 10:23 AM

View PostTsundoku, on 29 April 2016 - 10:24 AM, said:

Now is also a good time for someone to resurrect/start a "who should play ...?" thread. Because the inevitable arguments are quite entertaining. :)

I don't know who should play who, but I suggest a complete gender reversal of all characters, because why the fuck not?
Screw you all, and have a nice day!

#33 User is offline   Werthead 

• Ascendant

Posted 30 April 2016 - 11:30 AM

Werthead got something going for ASOIAF, and he initially brought less to the table than you do right now.

Huh? I didn't get anything going for the TV show, other than some discussions right at the very start of the process which the producers may have seen. In particular I think I might have been the first person to say Charles Dance for Tywin, but apparently that was their casting choice long before they started talking to the fans.

As for WoT, I did have an...interesting discussion with the guys from Red Eagle a long time ago via Dragonmount, back when they were still planning a film. I laid out for them exactly why that was a very bad idea, with ideas that I later summarised in my Wheel of Television series.
Visit The Wertzone for reviews of SF&F books, DVDs and computer games!

"Try standing out in a winter storm all night and see how tough you are. Start with that. Then go into a bar and pick a fight and see how tough you are. And then go home and break crockery over your head. Start with those three and you'll be good to go."
- Bruce Campbell on how to be as cool as he is

#34 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit

Posted 30 April 2016 - 01:02 PM

The book work on the extended world of ASOIAF wasn't a thing?

#35 User is offline   Werthead 

• Ascendant

Posted 30 April 2016 - 02:40 PM

View Postamphibian, on 30 April 2016 - 01:02 PM, said:

The book work on the extended world of ASOIAF wasn't a thing?

No, that was Elio and Linda from Westeros.org. I didn't work on that at all. I did write an essay for Beyond the Wall, a collection of non-fiction articles about the books and the TV series, and I've done some work on website stuff and quizzes for HarperCollins, but that's about it.

"Try standing out in a winter storm all night and see how tough you are. Start with that. Then go into a bar and pick a fight and see how tough you are. And then go home and break crockery over your head. Start with those three and you'll be good to go."

#36 User is offline   Terez 

• High Analyst of TQB

Posted 30 April 2016 - 05:09 PM

View PostTsundoku, on 30 April 2016 - 09:05 AM, said:

I tend to prefer Wert's structure, sorry. Yours will shed viewers by the score during seasons 5 and 6.

Yeah, I don't agree. I find that readers such as yourself don't even remember well what happened in books 7-11 and how much interesting material is there, so I certainly wouldn't allow your prejudices to dictate how I organize it. :)

There it is.

#37 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 30 April 2016 - 05:15 PM

View Postamphibian, on 30 April 2016 - 05:59 AM, said:

I wasnt joking either. Youre intelligent and insanely knowledgeable on the subject.

Just send in a resume for the position "Person who knows more about you on the subject matter". Or somesuch.
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#38 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 30 April 2016 - 07:03 PM

Terez, you know a lot. I'm not huge about the series but reading your thoughts and the depth of analyses on here was one of the reasons I picked them up again and finished the series - which I'm really pleased I did. I agree with the others above - I think there's a place for you to be involved.
- Wyrd bi ful ar訶 -

#39 User is offline   Werthead 

• Ascendant

Posted 30 April 2016 - 08:35 PM

Terez's knowledge of WoT is exceptional. If they needed a creative consultant, they've already got their choice right there :)

However, I do think Far Madding is gone from the TV show. There's no way they'd devote the resources needed to portraying it that late in the game. The Hall of the Counsels and the Guardian would be CGI anyway (probably) but they'd have to look at the need for going to that location, inventing new stuff and casting new characters (the cast list of the TV show is going to be miniscule compared to the cast list in the books) when they can just cut the whole thing and have Rand going straight to the Cleansing.

It's a nice idea to try to include it, but that's what we thought about Dorne in GoT and that did not work out well :p

This post has been edited by Werthead: 30 April 2016 - 08:36 PM

#40 User is offline   Kruppe'sStainedClothing 

• Recruit

Posted 30 April 2016 - 10:21 PM

i am so fucking excited to hear this

its obvious they will have to cut a lot, but i think the story will still transfer well with out all the Aes Sedai bickering and politicking, Perrin rescuing faile for 3 books etc.

still this is a very expensive endeavor just based of casting alone, since almost the whole cast is around until the very end

and lets not forget the amount of special effects due to channeling

Share this topic:

• 9 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users