#21 User is offline   Gust Hubb 

• Necromancer Extraordinaire
  • View gallery
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Glass slides with entrapped bits of colored tissue
  • Around, just quiet....er

Posted 25 April 2016 - 12:24 PM

In
"You don't clean u other peoples messes.... You roll in them like a dog on leftover smoked whitefish torn out f the trash by raccoons after Sunday brunch on a hot day."
~Abyss

#22 User is offline   HiddenOne 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 25 April 2016 - 12:26 PM

oh, you dirty fiends
HiddenOne. You son of a bitch. You slimy, skulking, low-posting scumbag. You knew it would come to this. Roundabout, maybe. Tortuous, certainly. But here we are, you and me again. I started the train on you so many many hours ago, and now I'm going to finish it. Die HO. Die. This is for last time, and this is for this game too. This is for all the people who died to your backstabbing, treacherous, "I sure don't know what's going on around here" filthy lying, deceitful ways. You son of a bitch. Whatever happens, this is justice. For me, this is justice. Vote HiddenOne Finally, I am at peace.

#23 User is offline   Tattersail_ 

• formerly Ganoes Paran
  • Interests:Mafia. Awesome Pictures. Awesome Videos. Did I mention Mafia?
    snapchat - rustyspoon84

Posted 25 April 2016 - 01:04 PM

View PostDhenrabi, on 25 April 2016 - 12:10 PM, said:

Is this a game signup? I'm in in that case.

excellent! welcome
Apt is the only one who reads this. Apt is nice.

#24 User is offline   Tapper 

• Lover of High House Mafia

Posted 25 April 2016 - 01:10 PM

View PostHiddenOne, on 25 April 2016 - 12:26 PM, said:

oh, you dirty friends

Edited for correctness.

I'm IN.......
Everyone is entitled to his own wrong opinion. - Lizrad

#25 User is offline   Blend 

• Gentleman of High House Mafia
  • View gallery

Posted 25 April 2016 - 01:22 PM

I'm in!
There is no struggle too vast, no odds too overwhelming, for even should we fail - should we fall - we will know that we have lived. ~ Anomander Rake
My sig comes from a game in which I didn't heed Blend's advice. So maybe this time I should. ~ Khellendros
I'm just going to have to come to terms with the fact that self-vote suiciding will forever be referred to as "pulling a JPK" now, aren't I? ~ JPK

#26 User is offline   Coltaine - 

• First Sword
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 25 April 2016 - 02:53 PM

16 people in. And three new players. Looks like the advertising for Mafia is working ;)

#27 User is offline   Itwæs Nom 

• Inquisitor of High House Mafia

Posted 25 April 2016 - 02:59 PM

View PostKhellendros, on 25 April 2016 - 09:01 AM, said:

Remember, voting for Khell is like lynching a piece of your own soul.

Yeah having a piece of Khell inside you might be a disadvantage of playing mafia here for the most, but it shouldn't be that bad, it's not like it was any big anyway

I'm so so sorry Khell
All things fall from kings to rose petals

#28 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 25 April 2016 - 05:26 PM

View PostKhellendros, on 25 April 2016 - 09:01 AM, said:

In!

Remember, voting for Khell is like lynching a piece of your own soul.

The horrid dark bit of your soul that need excised

#29 User is offline   Tattersail_ 

• formerly Ganoes Paran
    snapchat - rustyspoon84

Posted 25 April 2016 - 06:34 PM

Gnaw going to edit the OP then?

I've messaged the malazan Facebook group about our forum.

I've pmd 15 people in the last few days regarding mafia.

I've had a couple of replies that are interested but have no time to play I'm this one.

I tried to describe this game to a person before and they said it sounded complicated. Anyone want to help with my description?

#30 User is offline   Tattersail_ 

• formerly Ganoes Paran
    snapchat - rustyspoon84

Posted 25 April 2016 - 06:35 PM

Lycaenion, on 25 April 2016 - 03:57 PM, said:

What kind of game is it?

meat and potatoes. Standard 2 killers maybe a symp, rest vanilla town.

text based, we have to lynch the killers in the day whilst they hide amongst us, they kill us at night.

day 1 we lynch someone

night 1 the killers kill one of us

day 2 we lynch someone else, hoping to get one of the killers before they kill us.

night 2 we're killed again

numbers may start at 15 players, so day 2 potentially 13 players left, day 3, 11 players left etc.

we look for clues trying to find the killers before they win the game.

#31 User is offline   HiddenOne 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 25 April 2016 - 07:34 PM

I'm in. if there's room
HiddenOne. You son of a bitch. You slimy, skulking, low-posting scumbag. You knew it would come to this. Roundabout, maybe. Tortuous, certainly. But here we are, you and me again. I started the train on you so many many hours ago, and now I'm going to finish it. Die HO. Die. This is for last time, and this is for this game too. This is for all the people who died to your backstabbing, treacherous, "I sure don't know what's going on around here" filthy lying, deceitful ways. You son of a bitch. Whatever happens, this is justice. For me, this is justice. Vote HiddenOne Finally, I am at peace.

#32 User is offline   Coltaine - 

• First Sword

Posted 25 April 2016 - 08:57 PM

View PostTattersail_, on 25 April 2016 - 06:35 PM, said:

Lycaenion, on 25 April 2016 - 03:57 PM, said:

What kind of game is it?

meat and potatoes. Standard 2 killers maybe a symp, rest vanilla town.

text based, we have to lynch the killers in the day whilst they hide amongst us, they kill us at night.

day 1 we lynch someone

night 1 the killers kill one of us

day 2 we lynch someone else, hoping to get one of the killers before they kill us.

night 2 we're killed again

numbers may start at 15 players, so day 2 potentially 13 players left, day 3, 11 players left etc.

we look for clues trying to find the killers before they win the game.

Mafia: Meat and Potatoes -
It's the standard version of mafia. The players are divided into two teams. The smaller one is called scum/wolfs/etc. They are the killers. They have the goal to eliminate all the other players so that their faction wins.
The rest of the players are the town and they want to survive by eliminating the killers, but they don't know which players belong to the killer faction.
During day all players can vote for someone to be lynched. The player with the majority of the votes will be eliminated. The town tries to identify the killers by guessing or analysing the actions of the other players. Look if the behavior of someone is strange, who is targeted by whom,... . The killers try to hide and let the town lynch an innocent, a member of their own faction.
At night the killers choose a player to be killed. So normally every day and every night someone dies.

The game ends if all killers or all town members are eliminated.

For 15 players 2 killers are chosen by the mod.

Are their classes in meat and potatoes aside from killer and townfolk? Should maybe also be explained.

#33 User is offline   Vengeance 

• High Priest of Shinrei Love and Worship
  • Group: Administrators
  • very good...;)

Posted 25 April 2016 - 08:58 PM

View PostMacros, on 23 April 2016 - 05:05 PM, said:

No no, vote Khell day one

Then vote for Khell day 2. Reason: still alive.

Vote for Khell day 3: Reason still alive durr..
Get lynched day 3 instead of khell.. Go to SH and weep when you see that Khell was scum....

Watch khell run roughshod over the simple minded fools left in the game. Cry some more.

Everyone after you who gets to SH cuss at for being a stupid moron and not lynching khell based on your insightful and accurate word.

out but I will watch.
How many fucking people do I have to hammer in order to get that across.
Hinter - Vengy - DIE. I trusted you you bastard!!!!!!!

Steven Erikson made drowning in alien cum possible - Obdigore

#34 User is offline   Gnaw 

• Recovering eating disordered addict of HHM
  • View gallery

Posted 25 April 2016 - 08:59 PM

Damn.

16 people.

I'll start it in 3-4 hours. 8-9pm Eastern Time US.

I need the SH password changed please.

This post has been edited by Gnaw: 25 April 2016 - 08:59 PM

"Between stimulus and response there is a space. In that space is our power to choose our response. In our response lies our growth and our freedom." - Viktor Frankl

#35 User is offline   Vengeance 

• High Priest of Shinrei Love and Worship
  • very good...;)

Posted 25 April 2016 - 09:04 PM

View PostTattersail_, on 25 April 2016 - 06:34 PM, said:

Gnaw going to edit the OP then?

I've messaged the malazan Facebook group about our forum.

I've pmd 15 people in the last few days regarding mafia.

I've had a couple of replies that are interested but have no time to play I'm this one.

I tried to describe this game to a person before and they said it sounded complicated. Anyone want to help with my description?

Try are you and intellegent person who can read and comprehend good and bad logic? Yes then perfect. No then perfect.

Do you feel that people are after you even if you can't prove it? Yes perfect. No then your lying.

Do you feel that everyone lies to you and would like to do some thing about it? Yes perfect play mafia. No your obviously lying play mafia you will love it.

Do you like to feel like your the smartest person in the room? Yes perfect. No then your obviously a good liar or a murdering scum who should be lynched. Play mafia.

Do you have a problem with multiple personalities and often say contradictory statement over a short time period? Yes perfect. No.... I think you will like to play mafia. Welcome home.
How many fucking people do I have to hammer in order to get that across.
Hinter - Vengy - DIE. I trusted you you bastard!!!!!!!

Steven Erikson made drowning in alien cum possible - Obdigore

#36 User is offline   Blend 

• Gentleman of High House Mafia
  • View gallery

Posted 25 April 2016 - 09:20 PM

View PostColtaine93, on 25 April 2016 - 08:57 PM, said:

Are their classes in meat and potatoes aside from killer and townfolk? Should maybe also be explained.

A few roles that often pop up in our Meat and Potatoes games:

Symp - Scum role

Basically, a symp is someone who works for scum, but will CF as town (i.e. when they die, they won't show as being part of the scum team).

The symp knows who the killers are, but the killers do not know their symp. It is the symp's job to help scum stay hidden by trying to lead town towards lynching folks other than scum.

Healer - Town role

A healer chooses one person each night cycle to protect from death. If the person they choose is targeted by the killers during the same night cycle, they do not die.

Guard - Town role

A guard chooses one person each night cycle to guard. If the person they guard is a killer, their kill is guarded. Generally we only use a guard in a 2 killer game if there are enough players to have 2 guards, as one guard can't guard 2 killers. That being said, the role does get added now and again without a pair, as it's still useful to have during end-game after town has managed to lynch one scum.

Vigilante - Town role

A vigilante has the ability to kill (usually only) one person during the game. Vigs are fun to have if they can make it to end game or are good at finding scum early game. More often than not, a vig ends up killing a townie.
There is no struggle too vast, no odds too overwhelming, for even should we fail - should we fall - we will know that we have lived. ~ Anomander Rake
My sig comes from a game in which I didn't heed Blend's advice. So maybe this time I should. ~ Khellendros
I'm just going to have to come to terms with the fact that self-vote suiciding will forever be referred to as "pulling a JPK" now, aren't I? ~ JPK

#37 User is offline   Grief 

• Prophet of High House Mafia

Posted 25 April 2016 - 09:38 PM

View PostTattersail_, on 25 April 2016 - 06:34 PM, said:

I probably wouldn't send this all at once, since it got long and that probably makes the game seem a bit more difficult to grasp than it really is (the roles especially aren't really something people need to know in advance). The first section or two gives the general gist of the game I think. Once you play, you can pick up the mechanics very quickly. I think it's worth emphasizing that to people who are interested, since from an outside perspective it can seem a lot more confusing than it really is. You could also link them to Tapper's Mafia 101.

A basic description of the game:

At it's core, Mafia is a game of textual hide and seek; the game revolves around deduction and deception. The standard variation of the game (usually called 'Meat and Potatoes' by the community) has two teams: a large but uninformed team whose strength lies in numerical superiority (Town), and a smaller but better co-ordinated team with special powers that they use to whittle down town's numerical superiority (Scum). Like many games, it's very simple to understand once you play, even if the rules seem a little daunting.

Players can normally be killed either by a majority voting them off, or by someone using special powers. Generally the town tries the former, the scum get to do the latter.

Town win if they can utilize their numerical superiority to find and destroy the scum, before the scum are able to whittle down their numbers.
Scum win if they can hide for long enough to whittle down the towns numerical advantage.

A brief mechanical overview:

Generally, the town won't know anything about who is town and who is scum at the outset of the game.
Meanwhile, the scum will usually know each other to a high degree, with members being able to communicate by thread (off-thread communication between players is banned, except where the mods running the game say otherwise). The degree to which they know each other varies a bit (we'll discuss common roles in a moment). The 'symp' role is common so deserves a mention here. Symps will know the rest of the scum team, but the rest of the team will not know the symp. Symps thus often try to subtly signal to the rest of the team on the game thread (trying to spot this is one way that the town tries to find the scum). When they die, symps are also falsely revealed as town players; they can use this to try and sow confusion amongst the town.

There are two phases to the game: day and night.
The day phase is longer, and is where most of the game discussion happens. During the day, players can vote for each other. Each player gets one vote, which they can change. If a player recieves a majority of votes, they are lynched (removing your vote after a majority is achieved doesn't change this). A lynched player dies; they must stop posting and their faction is revealed (they then get access to hidden spoiler thread, to see what's happening behind the scenes). Town attempt to use lynches to find the scum. Once a lynch succeeds, the day phase ends.
During the night phase, players with Night Actions may use them (generally players will submit a provisional action during the day, in case they're not around during the night). This can be a variety of mechanical effects, and is generally how the scum reduce the towns numbers. In most standard games, scum are able to kill one player per night.
With players dying to lynches and Night Kills, the number of votes required for a lynch will also be reduced (since it just requires a majority).
Generally, the town need to find the scum before the two teams reach numerical equality. At this point, the town can no longer get the majority required for a lynch, and the scum can simply kill them off with their Night Kill; since the scum tend to know who each other are, they are usually guaranteed of not hitting each other.

Typical Roles:

Scum - Killer: The standard scum role. They get to kill one person per night. Normally the kill is shared between a couple of players, who get to discuss their target (it's rare for there to be more than one scum kill per night). Upon death, their alignment will be revealed as scum.
Scum - Symp: Symps will know the rest of the scum team, but the rest of the team will not know the symp. Symps thus often try to subtly signal to the rest of the team on the game thread (trying to spot this is one way that the town tries to find the scum). Upon death, a symps alignment will be falsely revealed as town; they can use this to try and sow confusion amongst the town.

Town - Roleless Innocent: The standard town role. They don't have any special powers or extra information. Like everyone else, they get a vote per day. This is the quintessential mafia role, because it's 100% about how you play on thread, and you only get on-thread information to work with. It's a team game, and since you've no special powers, you're not as big a loss as someone who has a role. Put yourself out there, prod people for reactions, try to deduce the scum, and try to convince other people to vote for whoever you think is scum. Rail at the idiots -- or, let's face it, probable scum -- who disagree with you.
Town - Finder: Probably the best town role available. Each night, they can choose someone and check their alignment. Only reveal that this is your role if you have useful information (or are on the verge of being lynched). Otherwise, try and lay low (without getting mistaken for scum, that is).
Town - Guard: Another powerful town role. Each night, they can choose someone and stop them from using their action. If there's only one killer, this can be used to identify them (though if they know there's a guard, they might try to bluff you into revealing incorrectly by deliberately witholding their kill).
Town - Healer: A less powerful role. Each night they can choose someone, and protect that person from being killed. It's hard to get this one right, and often confusing to the town if you do.
Town - Lovers: A paired role. Two players will get communication with each other off thread (sometimes they get a role on top of this, other times it's a role itself). This gives them someone to trust, bounce ideas off etc. It also gives the town two players who can confirm that the other guy is innocent (people often code each others names into their posts subtly, so this is verifiable). Since scum generally get off-thread comms too, scum can fake it.
Town - Vig: Often detrimental to the town. You get a kill (normally only once per game). Most likely you'll kill a town player with your power; this is unlikely to stop you from using it. When it works out it's because you're the best player ever. Plus you can use it on players you have grudges against from earlier games.

Pro-Tips:

Town wants to lynch on day one. The first lynch will probably be based on thin reasoning. It's better to get that out of the way on day one -- leading to a better day two -- than to have the first lynch on day two. If a lynch is very close to happening but doesn't, you're not likely to have any more information the next day. So you end up lynching the same person you were going to anyway, only a day later. You're normally better getting a bad lynch than no lynch. If you deliberately avoid voting to get a lynch when it's close to the wire (even if you disagree with the lynch), people will see it as very shifty. If you're scum and you don't want to vote (say if a teammate is close to a lynch) then you're better off simply not posting and pretending you weren't around (players log in anonymously while playing).
Voting night is rarely in towns favour. People will be suspicious if you suggest it. Occasionally it does make sense, but be very certain of this before you propose it. Propose it before voting on it.
If someone votes for you, they're obviously scum. Vote them back.
If you vote someone and then they vote you back, post "OMGUS" and make liberal use of the rolleyes emoticon. (OMGUS = "Oh My God You Suck" and the shorthand way of suggesting that someone is only voting for you because you voted them first, the scum).
Another useful abbreviation is WIFOM. WIFOM = "Wine in front of me" and references this scene from the Princess Bride; it refers to pointlessly attempting to figure out the degree to which someone is bluffing (often with regards to trying to figure out why scum have killed someone). Use this abbreviation as scum to distract people away from legitimate deduction that is getting a bit too close for comfort.
Accuse anyone you want to direct heat towards of being "too smooth". It's incredibly vague and could mean almost anything. What it really means is "You're playing well enough that I can't make any specific accusations so fuck you". It works remarkably well. If people are playing under the radar -- i.e, not posting much substance -- try to prod them into giving more. Ask what they think about specific players, or ask for their suspicions more generally. Put a vote on them for not contributing enough and see what happens.

Cougar said:

Grief, FFS will you do something with your sig, it's bloody awful

worry said:

Grief is right (until we abolish capitalism).

#38 User is offline   Coltaine - 

• First Sword

Posted 25 April 2016 - 09:48 PM

@Blend thx

View PostColtaine93, on 25 April 2016 - 08:57 PM, said:

Mafia: Meat and Potatoes -
It's the standard version of mafia. The players are divided into two teams. The smaller one is called scum/wolfs/etc. They are the killers. They have the goal to eliminate all the other players so that their faction wins.
The rest of the players are the town and they want to survive by eliminating the killers, but they don't know which players belong to the killer faction.
During day all players can vote for someone to be lynched. The player with the majority of the votes will be eliminated. The town tries to identify the killers by guessing or analysing the actions of the other players. Look if the behavior of someone is strange, who is targeted by whom,... . The killers try to hide and let the town lynch an innocent, a member of their own faction.
At night the killers choose a player to be killed. So normally every day and every night someone dies.

The game ends if all killers or all town members are eliminated.

For 15 players 2 killers are chosen by the mod, normally.

There are also different classes aside from normal town player and killer

View PostBlend, on 25 April 2016 - 09:20 PM, said:

A few roles that often pop up in our Meat and Potatoes games:

Symp - Scum role
Basically, a symp is someone who works for scum, but will CF as town (i.e. when they die, they won't show as being part of the scum team).
The symp knows who the killers are, but the killers do not know their symp. It is the symp's job to help scum stay hidden by trying to lead town towards lynching folks other than scum.

Healer - Town role
A healer chooses one person each night cycle to protect from death. If the person they choose is targeted by the killers during the same night cycle, they do not die.

Guard - Town role
A guard chooses one person each night cycle to guard. If the person they guard is a killer, their kill is guarded. Generally we only use a guard in a 2 killer game if there are enough players to have 2 guards, as one guard can't guard 2 killers. That being said, the role does get added now and again without a pair, as it's still useful to have during end-game after town has managed to lynch one scum.

Vigilante - Town role
A vigilante has the ability to kill (usually only) one person during the game. Vigs are fun to have if they can make it to end game or are good at finding scum early game. More often than not, a vig ends up killing a townie.

Okay, I think this is a acceptable explanation ;)

#39 User is offline   Siergiej 

• High Fist

Posted 25 April 2016 - 10:33 PM

Thanks for the invite Tattersail. If there's still space, I'd be happy to give it a try. Big fan of Secret Hitler* and Avalon, but have little experience with Mafia and never played online, so might take some getting use to a new setting ;)

*If someone would like to try Secret Hitler over forums, I'm more than happy to give it a shot as well.

#40 User is offline   Gnaw 

• Recovering eating disordered addict of HHM
  • View gallery

Posted 26 April 2016 - 01:44 AM

View PostGnaw, on 25 April 2016 - 08:59 PM, said:

Damn.

16 people.

I'll start it in 3-4 hours. 8-9pm Eastern Time US.

I need the SH password changed please.

Still need the SH password changed please.
"Between stimulus and response there is a space. In that space is our power to choose our response. In our response lies our growth and our freedom." - Viktor Frankl

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users