• You cannot reply to this topic

Dark Souls 3 prepare to die for the last time

#201 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 30 April 2017 - 06:54 PM

Man I love Dark Souls 3 and Souls games in general

Currently procrastinating on my last Open Uni module but am trying to either finish off my original strength DS3 character's run through the Ringed City DLC (fucking curse hollows sneaking up when I'm trying to fight two ringed knights at once), carry on my dexy pyromancer all the way through DS3 (trying to kill Hodrick before the tree but I've sworn off wielding shields as a crutch so it's slow going with my limited embers and rusty skills), rock out on DS1 with zweihander cheese (it's hilarious so far) and find a boss in Bloodborne (this is why I've sworn off shields, it's great to have a Souls game I haven't a fucking clue about again)
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#202 User is offline   WinterPhoenix 

• First Sword
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 01 May 2017 - 06:40 PM

The Ringed City was sooo damn good, a fitting end for the Souls series if indeed they don't make any more - not including a pretty much inevitable Bloodborne 2. Pretty much the only thing I really disliked about it was those fricking cheap as hell cancer angels in the swamp area, god they were so awful.

I still need to actually play through Bloodborne, even though it was one of the games I bought the PS4 for, the other being The Witcher 3 when it came out - which is in fact what I played instead of Bloodborne. Currently started Scholar of the First Sin again, because I'm gonna finally finish the second one as I have 1 and 3!
"I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust." T.S Eliot - The Wasteland

#203 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile
  • Group: Malazan Artist

Posted 01 May 2017 - 08:45 PM

It will be interesting to see what you think of DS2 on the back of 3.

It's not inherently bad... it's just lacking that sense of weird and wonder of the others, taking the core components but lacking the care taken to guide you on a journey. I hope you find Nashandra as frustrating as I did - that might be the only boss I really rage quit on. Several times.
So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#204 User is offline   Serenity 

• Saki!!!!!

Posted 03 May 2017 - 06:43 PM

I've been playing a bit of Bloodborne. I just beat the 3rd boss (Blood-Starved Beast). I'm can't make up my mind whether I love it or not. I think I do, but the atmosphere is so intense and oppressive I find I have to be in absolutely the right mood to play it, which means I'm not playing it as incessantly as I did Witcher 3 or HZD. I may also have bought the Fire Fades edition of DS3.

#205 User is offline   Coltaine - 

• First Sword

Posted 11 May 2017 - 11:34 AM

Bought the Fire Fades edition of Dark Souls 3 a few days ago and started playing it yesterday.

Until now:
- Made a huge step back in my Dark Souls playstyle: From light armor, fast roll, parry and backstab to hiding behind a 100% block shield, with tons of armor and pocking hollows with a spear.
- With a good shield 3/4 estus flasks aren't that frightening anymore. Also luckily lots of bonfires in the game.
- Andre. Yes Posted Image
- The new Firelink Shrine looks cool. Can't wait to see the lords on their thrones.
- Got the Uchi from I guy I killed cowardly with 18 firebombs. Still made a gain of 200 souls
- And I really need to learn how to parry those knights at the High Wall.

#206 User is offline   WinterPhoenix 

• First Sword

Posted 11 May 2017 - 05:05 PM

View Post- Coltaine -, on 11 May 2017 - 11:34 AM, said:

Bought the Fire Fades edition of Dark Souls 3 a few days ago and started playing it yesterday.

Until now:
- Made a huge step back in my Dark Souls playstyle: From light armor, fast roll, parry and backstab to hiding behind a 100% block shield, with tons of armor and pocking hollows with a spear.
- With a good shield 3/4 estus flasks aren't that frightening anymore. Also luckily lots of bonfires in the game.
- Andre. Yes Posted Image
- The new Firelink Shrine looks cool. Can't wait to see the lords on their thrones.
- Got the Uchi from I guy I killed cowardly with 18 firebombs. Still made a gain of 200 souls
- And I really need to learn how to parry those knights at the High Wall.

Welcome to Dark Souls 3 man, such an amazing game, I know you loved the first, so you'll love this one too for sure.

Best cowardly way to kill the Uchi guy (and yes I know all the cowardly ways, I call them smart lol) is to lure him back down the stairs shield up and the engineer the fight so that his back's facing the drop, pretty easy to knock him off or otherwise have him send himself off if you duck and attack just right ;)
"I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust." T.S Eliot - The Wasteland

#207 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 11 May 2017 - 07:13 PM

Nice, dude, make sure you do the first run through with as little foreknowledge as possible; so basically only talk about stuff once you beat it so we don't accidentally tell you the location of every single item or spoil the return of the Bed of Chaos etc

wait shit

OK real-talk the only hints I will give you are to definitely try out the weapon skills or use a strike shield (you'll find one) and that the dagger weapon art works at full speed without FP and in areas that may possibly be construed as having vaguely swamp-like and movement-hampering characteristics
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#208 User is offline   Coltaine - 

• First Sword

Posted 13 May 2017 - 05:46 PM

Holy shit, this Hodrick Guy is nearly unkillable. Estus Flasks, Power Within, Healing Pyromancy(?). The best I managed to do after all my Flasks were empty was a tie with both of us dead. Still got his item.

Also found another Giant Archer Friend, new Onion Bro and a new Reah. I wouldn't be too surprised if Solaire waits at the next bonfire.

So three bosses down in the game and yes, I love it. Posted Image

Best moment until now. The view onto the map after defeating Vordt.
Worst enemy: This Mini-Vordt in the tower with the Giant I guess.

By the way, is magic still useful with the FP system? And is there a good spot to farm titanite shards in the early game?

Oh, and the dagger-walk is hillarious. Still need to find a swamp to test it. Thanks for the hint ;)

#209 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 14 May 2017 - 09:35 AM

Okay it's finally time

Leaping into dark souls 3.

Probably gonna be a sword and.biard pyromancer which I believe is friendly to new players but has some options

#210 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 14 May 2017 - 07:58 PM

View Post- Coltaine -, on 13 May 2017 - 05:46 PM, said:

And is there a good spot to farm titanite shards in the early game?

The Farron Swamp things drop titanite a bunch. The guys praying to the trees on High Wall of Lothic drop titanite too.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#211 User is offline   Coltaine - 

• First Sword

Posted 17 May 2017 - 06:28 AM

View PostCause, on 14 May 2017 - 09:35 AM, said:

Okay it's finally time

Leaping into dark souls 3.

Probably gonna be a sword and.biard pyromancer which I believe is friendly to new players but has some options

It is hard to resist the The Fire Fades Edition :D

Guess I should now try to spoiler not too much

Got to the first boss that gave me a bit of trouble:

Spoiler

The swamp area wasn't that bad, also thanks to the dagger-weapon art. I fled with frogjumps from a crab :shock:
And those goatguys really have a good chance to drop titanite. Thanks. I can now upgrade another weapon to +3. Have to decide which one.

Also got to first area where I really got lost
Spoiler

I also got the impression from Invasions and player-like npc's that two-handing the weapon is the way to go.Those damn kicks agianst the shield. ^^

This post has been edited by - Coltaine -: 17 May 2017 - 06:32 AM

#212 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 17 May 2017 - 07:33 AM

Yes especially with the kick booster ring.

What's this dagger walk thang? Did I totally miss this?
So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#213 User is offline   Coltaine - 

• First Sword

Posted 17 May 2017 - 10:27 AM

The weapon art of the normal dagger is a great way to walk through the deep water parts of the swamp. You are just hopping through it and you can even do it if you have no FP left.

#214 User is offline   Coltaine - 

• First Sword

Posted 23 May 2017 - 11:52 AM

Did some co-op in the last days, helping people with the deacons and farming sunlight medals.

Also found the Abyss Watchers and defeated them. My favorite bossfight until now. Reminded me a lot of another boss from DS. But I guess I should have seen this coming. There were a lot of hints. :D
I guess those guys were driven mad by the Abyss?
I also tried to do some co-op to help other players agianst this boss, but they get nearly always invaded, and fighting the invaders back normally costs me so much flasks, that I don't survive the boss. Maybe I should try the bow against it to keep a distance.

How does the Blue Sentinel Covenant work by the way? I spend a long time in Farron Keep and the road of sacrifices, were I got invaded myself three times, but I never got summoned to help someone against an invader.

#215 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 23 May 2017 - 11:55 AM

View Post- Coltaine -, on 23 May 2017 - 11:52 AM, said:

Did some co-op in the last days, helping people with the deacons and farming sunlight medals.

Also found the Abyss Watchers and defeated them. My favorite bossfight until now. Reminded me a lot of another boss from DS. But I guess I should have seen this coming. There were a lot of hints. :D
I guess those guys were driven mad by the Abyss?
I also tried to do some co-op to help other players agianst this boss, but they get nearly always invaded, and fighting the invaders back normally costs me so much flasks, that I don't survive the boss. Maybe I should try the bow against it to keep a distance.

How does the Blue Sentinel Covenant work by the way? I spend a long time in Farron Keep and the road of sacrifices, were I got invaded myself three times, but I never got summoned to help someone against an invader.

My interpretation is that they've become infected by the Abyss and are fighting an eternal battle against themselves. That is, until you come and end it.

One of my favourite boss fights for sure.
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#216 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 23 May 2017 - 01:18 PM

Yeah, check out the red glowing eyes too

#217 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 21 January 2018 - 10:40 AM

Just beat the first demon bosses of The Ringed City dlc, now farming embers by helping out other players.
Good fight once I figured out that getting up close was the way to do it, plus locking.on was good for keeping tabs on the aerial attacks.

I was a bit rusty at first but it all comes flooding back once you hit a boss room!

#218 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 21 January 2018 - 02:53 PM

View PostT, on 21 January 2018 - 10:40 AM, said:

Just beat the first demon bosses of The Ringed City dlc, now farming embers by helping out other players.
Good fight once I figured out that getting up close was the way to do it, plus locking.on was good for keeping tabs on the aerial attacks.

I was a bit rusty at first but it all comes flooding back once you hit a boss room!

I really enjoyed that paired demon battle. It's very, very fun if you have two friends along and the bosses get the full power-ups. Everybody's going all over the place and there's so much to keep track of.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#219 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 21 January 2018 - 03:34 PM

View Postamphibian, on 21 January 2018 - 02:53 PM, said:

View PostT, on 21 January 2018 - 10:40 AM, said:

I really enjoyed that paired demon battle. It's very, very fun if you have two friends along and the bosses get the full power-ups. Everybody's going all over the place and there's so much to keep track of.

I played it with a few combinations. There were two npcs to summon, but using only one was really needed as a distraction.
I was using the uchi+10 to start as the bleed damage was effective, but it's slow and stamina heavy so after a couple to tries I went back to my dark sword, which can get about 5 swings in, enough to stun them for a critical.

I've read nothing about this dlc so its all new. After a few more goes at the demons I'll head into the Ringed City.

This post has been edited by T'rav Elar: 21 January 2018 - 03:35 PM

#220 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 26 January 2018 - 01:52 PM

Found a swamp full of usual DS annoyances, then found a dragon. Used the dragon head shield I found in the swamp, and smacked him off his bridge. He seemed angry about something.

Love the level lay out, lots of classic DS locations revisited, and some depth to it.

Just found an area with an elevator and a bonfire at the top. Walked out the door and there is a big guy with two swords waiting - so I went back, sent the elevator up and rolled off, and went and shot a few arrows at him. He came charging in, swords flaming, while I ambled round to the other side of the hole.

Took a few seconds to get the souls, so I guess it's pretty deep. Time for some farming.

This post has been edited by T'rav Elar: 26 January 2018 - 01:52 PM

Share this topic:

• 12 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users