• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Dark Souls 3 prepare to die for the last time

#1 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 13 April 2016 - 06:34 AM

So, Dark Souls 3 is out. The last game of the Souls series. It's been a fantastic series of games, but I am glad From Software has chosen to do something new. I assume the it will be great, whatever they chose.

At any rate, I figured we should pull the DS3 discussion out of the Dark Souls thread. We'll be at different places in the game, so I would appreciate if people were carefull of spoilers. A lot of the joy of these games is the discovery after all.

May the good blood guide your way!
... erm, no... Praise the sun!
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#2 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus

Posted 13 April 2016 - 06:39 AM

So I played a few hours last night instead of packing for Japan. I went with the Assassin as that felt like the closest I'd get to a Bloodborne style character. And it is, I think, but I still felt like I was moving through mud at first. Dodging, attacking, it all happened slower than my fingers expected. I also played way way too agressive.

After a little I got used to the DS way of doing things again, and as the old strategies came back to me I got through the first boss without much hassle and ended up at the Firelink Shrine. The central hub it would seem of DS3. I managed to kill a samurai like character and am now running around with a katana like sword and throwing soul arrows at unsuspecting enemies.

I realise it's been a while since I played DS1 and 2. A lot of the names I hear sound familiar, but I am not sure.

Beautiful game, but for some reason I feel the character itself looked better in Bloodborne.

#3 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 13 April 2016 - 06:43 AM

I've been on the fence whether I should try out DS3.

I think I will buy this later so I can play it with you guys.

My main gripe with DS1 wasn't with the actual gameplay but the bad UI, inventory and checkpoints, along with the ancient looking graphics. I am hoping DS3 brings some of the Bloodborne sexiness to the game.

This post has been edited by Apt: 13 April 2016 - 06:44 AM

#4 User is offline   DeadHedge 

• Fist
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Reading MBotF and Playing 360/PC

Posted 13 April 2016 - 08:18 AM

I think I have eventually convinced my wife to let me get an Xbone (well when I brought up the subject she said she was 'working on it'). So I am hoping to get this as soon as I can.

I loved DS 1, never played DS2 or BB but saw gameplay of both and I have also saw DS3 gameplay.

All I am going to say is that the scenery on DS3 is absolutely beautiful.
"The wise say that as vows are sworn, so are the reaped. I found this to be true"

Prince K'azz D'avore
Founder of the Crimson Guard

xbl GT - Arai Zenko

#5 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile
  • Group: Malazan Artist

Posted 13 April 2016 - 01:53 PM

I played for around an hour last night, made it to Firelink, spoke to some pleasingly familiar faces, and started into the DS 3 version of the undead burg. Which also has something very familiar inhabiting it.

I went with Assassin as I liked my last dex build. The first views and cliff path are very Demons Souls, while the placing of a guardian to test your moves before firelink felt like DS.

The views are amazing. Looking up at the fortress looming overhead, to the drop down the cliffside. And coming directly from DS1 on ps3, the differences are apparent, although I never really minded the original.

So far.. although there are elements from both DS games and Bloodborne, it feels closest to the original DS.

This post has been edited by Traveller: 13 April 2016 - 02:18 PM

So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#6 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 13 April 2016 - 10:17 PM

Loving the new weapon moves - it's making it difficult to choose which one to level up.

Lothric seems huge at the moment. Just exploring, finding new places and occasionally new weapons to try. Also a shortcut; maybe I'm getting near a boss.
So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#7 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus

Posted 13 April 2016 - 10:21 PM

View PostTraveller, on 13 April 2016 - 10:17 PM, said:

Loving the new weapon moves - it's making it difficult to choose which one to level up.

Lothric seems huge at the moment. Just exploring, finding new places and occasionally new weapons to try. Also a shortcut; maybe I'm getting near a boss.

No bosses here!

#8 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 14 April 2016 - 05:20 AM

Looks like I am unlucky.

I bought the PC version and I ran into the starting bonfire crash bug. Tried fighting the first boss, died and when I was moving away from the bonfire the game crashed. Started it up again. Did a couple more runs and the game crashed again.

Think I am going to wait a bit until they fix this.

#9 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 14 April 2016 - 06:42 AM

View PostMorgoth, on 13 April 2016 - 10:21 PM, said:

No bosses here!

I've found a pretty big area in front of a massive cathedral, with Knights patrolling in front. I've also found the key to the guy in the cell... but haven't decided if I should let him out yet.

Liking the Uchigatana - it's got a good slash combo and a thrust, where the estoc is all poke. The skill for the broadsword is nice too; I like that some skills are passive like the stance, until you let fly. I killed the guy with the katana just by holding the broadsword ready, then lunging when he ran at me. The skills add a whole new element - I want to try all the weapons now just to see what moves they have.

Feels weird running round in human form all the time, I keep expecting to turn hollow.

This post has been edited by Traveller: 14 April 2016 - 06:44 AM

#10 User is offline   Pearls 

• Recruit

Posted 14 April 2016 - 06:53 PM

View PostApt, on 14 April 2016 - 05:20 AM, said:

Looks like I am unlucky.

I bought the PC version and I ran into the starting bonfire crash bug. Tried fighting the first boss, died and when I was moving away from the bonfire the game crashed. Started it up again. Did a couple more runs and the game crashed again.

Think I am going to wait a bit until they fix this.

There's a band-aid for the Bonfire crash. And you have to redo the setting (for some reason) every time you open the game, but if you turn your lighting settings to "low" you won't crash. Probably.

#11 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 14 April 2016 - 09:38 PM

View PostMorgoth, on 13 April 2016 - 10:21 PM, said:

No bosses here!

No, none at all! Ive been farming embers from here; I keep getting summoned to help.

The whole new area at the bottom of the wall looks amazing. The vista is gorgeous, so many locations visible.

The witchy vibe down there is very Bloodborne so far.

This post has been edited by Traveller: 14 April 2016 - 10:10 PM

#12 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 14 April 2016 - 10:39 PM

It says 19gb minimum on mine.

#13 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 15 April 2016 - 06:11 AM

View PostBriar King, on 14 April 2016 - 10:57 PM, said:

Wow that's good news after BB's 41GB!! That is so low for today's games. I wonder if that means the game is tiny....

Doesn't look small, from the view I have - I can see loads of locations from where I am.

It really is a careful blend of previous games. Some of the architecture, ladders, lanterns and even a guy that looks like a hunter are right out of BB. Then on the loading screen there are items and armour from DS2. Now I've found cages on carriages with undead dogs like Demon's.

But the majority is DS1 - I had trouble turning it off last night.

#14 User is offline   DeadHedge 

• Fist

Posted 15 April 2016 - 07:48 AM

The reviews that you guys are giving so far, saying its close to DS 1 is nice to hear and making me want this even more.

Not played DS2 but will probably pick it up next time I go to Game or something as I can pick the base game up for £5 these days.
"The wise say that as vows are sworn, so are the reaped. I found this to be true"

Prince K'azz D'avore

xbl GT - Arai Zenko

#15 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 15 April 2016 - 11:30 AM

Frost sword!

That's a first.

#16 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 17 April 2016 - 10:52 PM

Sewers explored. Giant befriended. Creepy village crept through, keys found and doors unlocked. Helped out in battle by Onion armored chap - he's more chatty this time too. Actually, all the npcs seem really nice and helpful so far.

This Spook spell I got at the start is proving useful for dropping down to find shortcuts. Also for when the giant angry tree I was just fighting broke the floor with his butt pounding.

The power shot skill on the bow is also proving to be effective. I am really, really liking this game.

#17 User is offline   WinterPhoenix 

• First Sword

Posted 17 April 2016 - 11:33 PM

Bought this game day 1, only really played for 2-3 hours so far, am currently just at the beginning of the undead settlement, 2 bosses i.e enemies with named health bars owned - though I think I made a mistake by using boths summons I saw for the giant Ice Dog, fight was very easy and I got so few souls, but I really want to see all the phantom NPC's :/ Absolutely frickin loving the game so far it's all the glory of DS1 once again, only better - truly a massive improvement over DS2, ,thus far I am liking it more than BB too actually. Graphically it's so damn great, the scenery is simply stunning, truly beautiful :) And the OST, soooooo good!

Just a little thing I saw from a friend who has this game also and has played a crap ton more than me, something I think people here might at least get a kick out of. There are a set of boss weapons in this game called 'Dancer's Enchanted Swords', how fantastic is that?
"I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust." T.S Eliot - The Wasteland

#18 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 18 April 2016 - 05:40 AM

View PostWinterPhoenix, on 17 April 2016 - 11:33 PM, said:

Just a little thing I saw from a friend who has this game also and has played a crap ton more than me, something I think people here might at least get a kick out of. There are a set of boss weapons in this game called 'Dancer's Enchanted Swords', how fantastic is that?

I'll definitely have to look those up.

Have you seen what you can do with certain double weapons? Some daggers and swords are a pair. When you two-hand them, you put one in each hand; rather than say having to find two weapons that are the same.

I found some last night; the weapon skill is a fast sidestep for getting round behind things quickly - they look totally cool on my assassin.

The weapon skills really add something to your build. As you need certain stats to use certain weapons, you only get the special moves for the build you've invested in, which is fantastic imo as I'm already looking forward to playing through as something else! I don't think I'll get the strength required for the greatswords as my dex based character, but the various shield bashes, stomps and other moves look awesome. I can't believe some of the reviews I read of this game where the reviewers said that the skills were superfluous and they hardly used them - I think they are the biggest improvement.

Scenery is amazing - working through the undead settlement, I kept getting glimpses though the windows or through alleys that made me stop for a second look.

This post has been edited by Traveller: 18 April 2016 - 06:58 AM

#19 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 18 April 2016 - 06:16 AM

Hah, the Dancer's Enchanted Swords skill is called Dancer's Grace - 'Unleash the fury of both blades in a dancing spin motion and use strong attack to continue the performance until stamina is exhausted'.

Looks like one blade is dark and one is fire. And I know where the Dancer boss is although it may be a bit early to take it on.

I've also got my eye on Darkdrift - a katana that can punch through shields.

This post has been edited by Traveller: 18 April 2016 - 06:32 AM

#20 User is offline   DeadHedge 

• Fist

Posted 18 April 2016 - 08:46 AM

View PostTraveller, on 15 April 2016 - 06:11 AM, said:

View PostBriar King, on 14 April 2016 - 10:57 PM, said:

Wow that's good news after BB's 41GB!! That is so low for today's games. I wonder if that means the game is tiny....

Doesn't look small, from the view I have - I can see loads of locations from where I am.

It really is a careful blend of previous games. Some of the architecture, ladders, lanterns and even a guy that looks like a hunter are right out of BB. Then on the loading screen there are items and armour from DS2. Now I've found cages on carriages with undead dogs like Demon's.

But the majority is DS1 - I had trouble turning it off last night.

All I'm going to say Traveller is that there's more DS1 than you think :)

Still not convinced my wife to get me an Xbone yet, but nearly sold her on a PS instead (Crash Bandicoot helped lol) so maybe get this soon.

Prince K'azz D'avore

xbl GT - Arai Zenko

Share this topic:

• 12 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users