• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

My Book Just Came Out Purge of Ashes, Book One of the Imbalance

#141 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• My pen halts, though I do not
  • View gallery
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 08 July 2016 - 06:06 PM

My prologue's first paragraph is also not italicized. This is the case on both my Kindle device and the Amazon Cloud Reader (at Amazon.com). Furthermore, Amazon doesn't show that the book has an update available.

On a tangentially-related note, although the Kindle version doesn't appear to have a proper Table Of Contents, on my device I can use the "Go To" menu to jump to each Disparity and Chapter, but not to the Prologue. (The Cloud Reader, on the other hand, can't do any of them.)
"Here is light. You will say that it is not a living entity, but you miss the point that it is more, not less. Without occupying space, it fills the universe. It nourishes everything, yet itself feeds upon destruction. We claim to control it, but does it not perhaps cultivate us as a source of food? May it not be that all wood grows so that it can be set ablaze, and that men and women are born to kindle fires?"
―Gene Wolfe, The Citadel of the Autarch

#142 User is offline   Tatterdemalion 

• I sneeze warrens.
  • Interests:Fantasy, cartography, creativity, finding a readership before I'm cast aside by history, roti.
  • Currently working on my Imbalance series.
    Web: joelminty.com
    Twitter: @JoelMinty

Posted 09 July 2016 - 03:15 AM

View PostSalt-Man Z, on 08 July 2016 - 06:06 PM, said:

My prologue's first paragraph is also not italicized. This is the case on both my Kindle device and the Amazon Cloud Reader (at Amazon.com). Furthermore, Amazon doesn't show that the book has an update available.

On a tangentially-related note, although the Kindle version doesn't appear to have a proper Table Of Contents, on my device I can use the "Go To" menu to jump to each Disparity and Chapter, but not to the Prologue. (The Cloud Reader, on the other hand, can't do any of them.)

The Kindle version doesn't have a proper table of contents?
Just checked. Holy god in hell. I've made my OWN .EPUBs of Purge of Ashes for editing purposes that have a fucking Table of Contents.
I will have to update the file, if I can figure it. I messaged Kindle Direct Publishing recently about making an update available - should update the TOC at the same time if I can. Will notify once ready.

In the meantime I'll just continued bemoaning my infuriating misfortunes.
Author of Purge of Ashes.
Sayer of "And Nature shall not abide."

#143 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail

Posted 12 July 2016 - 06:01 PM

I finished yesterday and have been thinking about it a bit. Spoilers all:

Spoiler

I'm excited for book 2!

This post has been edited by Whisperzzzzzzz: 12 July 2016 - 06:01 PM

#144 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Martyr of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Soccer, Chess, swimming, books, misc
  • Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 12 July 2016 - 06:24 PM

I'm about halfway through. Liking lots.

Is there a section on your site that describes the various people's (beyond what's available in the maps section). I'm not sure if i'm getting the races right--not a huge thing, but would be nice to make sure I understand properly.
The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard
THE CONTESTtm WINNER--чемпіон самоконтролю

View PostJump Around, on 23 October 2011 - 11:04 AM, said:

And I want to state that Ment has out-weaseled me by far in this game.

#145 User is offline   Tatterdemalion 

• I sneeze warrens.
  • Interests:Fantasy, cartography, creativity, finding a readership before I'm cast aside by history, roti.

Posted 13 July 2016 - 01:03 AM

View PostWhisperzzzzzzz, on 12 July 2016 - 06:01 PM, said:

I finished yesterday and have been thinking about it a bit. Spoilers all:

Spoiler

I'm excited for book 2!

Thanks so much, Whisperzzzzz, though I suppose the people who will learn what I'm thanking you for are people unafraid of spoilers. I will PM you with some questions discussion since it's all so hush-hush :p

#146 User is offline   Tatterdemalion 

• I sneeze warrens.

Posted 13 July 2016 - 01:14 AM

View PostMentalist, on 12 July 2016 - 06:24 PM, said:

I'm about halfway through. Liking lots.

Is there a section on your site that describes the various people's (beyond what's available in the maps section). I'm not sure if i'm getting the races right--not a huge thing, but would be nice to make sure I understand properly.

I can toss you some categorizing!

ABLES:
Human
Barganol
Scalion / ashreaver
Jugrahan
Quen
Anubak

ANCIENT ABLE RACES:
Phentom
Chakka'Ghar
Rava (sorta. More monster than sentient being)

RACES OF HUMANS:
Aneomen
Thyn
Chaomals
Ree
Sveldtlanders
Banorians
Haradachi
Rimfolk
Mascans
Roan'adda

Then rest of the terms are more local, like 'Katolyians' for people from Katolys, 'Dagons' for people from Arc Dago, or 'Sventish' for people from the whole continent of Sventium. There are also those divided by religion, so say 'Xyntoi' is a term for anyone who prays to Xyn. There are ranks within the hierarchy, too (Unpious, Indevout, Xyntoi Aggrevant).

That help? Glad you're liking it! I have a new child being born THURSDAY... life is really hectic and I haven't been promoting lately at all... and I'm very grateful for everyone who has given it a read on this forum: you guys both keep me grounded AND keep my chin up. :p

#147 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 13 July 2016 - 02:26 AM

So then Gheshtai is same definition class as Xyntoi, right? or is it a Banorian sub-race?

And congrats on the new family member! May it become a new source of inspiration.

This post has been edited by Mentalist: 13 July 2016 - 02:27 AM

#148 User is offline   Tatterdemalion 

• I sneeze warrens.

Posted 13 July 2016 - 04:51 AM

Geshtai are fifths.

So yeah, a Banorian religious subsect who pray to Ghest.

#149 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 16 July 2016 - 04:43 AM

Okay, done. That's some seriously dark ending.

I'm intrigued. Piecing together the world's history is fun. The characters are often archetypal, but the story's entertaining, and is a nice combo of elements we may have seen elsewhere.

I will certainly be looking out for the sequel.

There were some editing niggles, but nothing major. The use of specific terminology for times and distances was a bit disconcerting at first, but then I just started subbing in familiar units mentally, and the irritation went away.

#150 User is offline   Tatterdemalion 

• I sneeze warrens.

Posted 18 July 2016 - 04:59 AM

View PostMentalist, on 16 July 2016 - 04:43 AM, said:

Okay, done. That's some seriously dark ending.

I'm intrigued. Piecing together the world's history is fun. The characters are often archetypal, but the story's entertaining, and is a nice combo of elements we may have seen elsewhere.

I will certainly be looking out for the sequel.

There were some editing niggles, but nothing major. The use of specific terminology for times and distances was a bit disconcerting at first, but then I just started subbing in familiar units mentally, and the irritation went away.

Thanks Mentalist! Yet another sturdy review from you guys, keeping me going.

I'm glad piecing history is fun. I hope to borrow that element of never giving everyone everything from Malazan. More of the past comes to bear as the series continues since this initial offering is, obviously, focused on one place and one event. And in a somewhat obscure location to boot. How you handled the time and distance terminology is how I read it as well - once you have the gist it works out - and no part of the story is dependent upon it.

As for the ending, on a Grimdark fantasy group I have a running debate over if it qualifies or not. On the fringe, I'd say. Good and bad in... balance?

Yet another champion for my growing Imbalance army!

#151 User is offline   Tatterdemalion 

• I sneeze warrens.

Posted 06 August 2016 - 12:54 AM

So I decided to take Purge of Ashes down off Amazon for repairs and I think I did the right thing. Many thanks to all the reviewers and readers here on this forum for their help and insight, particularly Macros, worry, Mentalist, Whisperzzzz, amphibian and RACHEL.

I've hired an editor to fix any problems with flow, and he's going to go over everything. This should have happened long ago, but if you've been keeping up with my trials, the publisher utterly failed me on this account.

I'm going to get my maps cleaned up as well, since of the 5 I would like, only 2 made the current edition and 1 of those was mostly illegible. Shameful, really. Especially since my world map is so epic.

I am looking to afford a new cover as well, one that fits with my original vision for the cover(s). Since 2 and 3 plan to follow the format of 1, the debut should really be optimal and easy to replicate in style.

When the second edition of Purge of Ashes is nearing readiness, I will start a new thread (seeking new beta readers, so if you haven't already read it, soon will be your chance...) and let this one find its final resting place. Rest assured, those who cared, that I have copied the impressions of everyone who reported on their reading experience into a separate document for future use. Anyone currently reading Purge of Ashes who still wishes to help me out, feel free to comment below.

Merci.

#152 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 06 August 2016 - 04:51 AM

I'm slowly working my way through and making notes. This book is good enough to not give up on.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#153 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 06 August 2016 - 09:09 AM

I think it's a great decision, tbh. And when you decide to release it again you can include a positive quote in the front from esteemed web personality worry.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#154 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 06 August 2016 - 09:44 AM

Will the new version 2.0 that is uploaded to Amazon replace the version 1.0 we purchased in our library?

If so I might wait with reading further until the new version is up. I thought the first "book" in the book was rough so I'd set it aside for a while.

#155 User is offline   Itwęs Nom 

• Inquisitor of High House Mafia

Posted 06 August 2016 - 10:38 AM

I enormously slowed down when

Spoiler

I'm only reading a couple of pages once a couple of days now. I started reading Gentleman Bastards simultaneously with this on smartphone and it slowly went from read-when-the-book's-not-by-hand to taking over almost all of my reading time, now Blade Itself took the place of Bastards.

Spoiler

Things are really interesting at this point, I'm not sure why I can't get myself to read it more. The flow is certainly weaker part of the book but I can't point at anything concrete and I'm not really much bothered by that, I don't know what's wrong.

I was really looking forward to seeing the more of the world with all the fancy maps and descriptions but I guess you didn't want to reveal all the new things and secrets to new readers who know litte of what's really going on and possibly scare them right away
All things fall from kings to rose petals

#156 User is offline   Tatterdemalion 

• I sneeze warrens.

Posted 07 August 2016 - 01:46 AM

View PostKanyemander West, on 06 August 2016 - 09:09 AM, said:

I think it's a great decision, tbh. And when you decide to release it again you can include a positive quote in the front from esteemed web personality worry.

This was the main impetus for the decision.

#157 User is offline   Tatterdemalion 

• I sneeze warrens.

Posted 07 August 2016 - 01:49 AM

View PostApt, on 06 August 2016 - 09:44 AM, said:

Will the new version 2.0 that is uploaded to Amazon replace the version 1.0 we purchased in our library?

If so I might wait with reading further until the new version is up. I thought the first "book" in the book was rough so I'd set it aside for a while.

I will do my best to replace all current KDP eBook versions with the second edition automatically, though I hear Createspace can be prickly about such things. I'm sure there's a way.

I am more concerned with the earlier parts as they are more rooted in my earliest writings as a student.

#158 User is offline   Tatterdemalion 

• I sneeze warrens.

Posted 07 August 2016 - 01:53 AM

View PostItwęs Nom, on 06 August 2016 - 10:38 AM, said:

I enormously slowed down when

Spoiler

I'm only reading a couple of pages once a couple of days now. I started reading Gentleman Bastards simultaneously with this on smartphone and it slowly went from read-when-the-book's-not-by-hand to taking over almost all of my reading time, now Blade Itself took the place of Bastards.

Spoiler

Things are really interesting at this point, I'm not sure why I can't get myself to read it more. The flow is certainly weaker part of the book but I can't point at anything concrete and I'm not really much bothered by that, I don't know what's wrong.

I was really looking forward to seeing the more of the world with all the fancy maps and descriptions but I guess you didn't want to reveal all the new things and secrets to new readers who know litte of what's really going on and possibly scare them right away

The world explodes outwards in Book 2. One is very geographically focused on Sventium, but once the catalyst events of Purge have occurred the rest of the world becomes involved. Just tonight I am currently writing about Joss Clan Face Eaters (brother tribe to the Sveldtlanders you meet in Purge of Ashes) encamped on a plateau north of Csarvent, capital of the Thynlands - an ocean plus away from the entirety of Book 1's action.

Hope you keep going with the story before the details fade Itwaes. It ends strong.

#159 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 07 August 2016 - 02:16 AM

as a partisan fan, I will say, it finishes strong.

#160 User is offline   polle 

• Recruit

Posted 08 August 2016 - 09:23 AM

I think going over the novel with an editor is a great decision and will also certainly benefit future installments.

I'm only about 40% in at the moment, so for what it's worth, my thoughts. Any issues I have pretty much all concern style, most of which have already been commented on earlier in the thread. The general gist is that the writing, at times, just feels too contrived.
(On a (petty and) personal level a corporal outranking a captain annoys me :p just seems illogical, especially considering you create your own "SI-units" for time and distance (and too some extent for the military hierarchy as well (blade)).
Pacing is not really an issue for me at the momemt. Sometimes it can be a bit slow, but like I said not that big a deal.

However, your creativity really shines through and I find both the story and the history of the world you have created very intriguing. Interested to see where the story goes.
I'll certainly be looking out for the sequel.

Share this topic:

• 10 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users